To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

What would you think of this?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

What would you think of this?

Post by Vid »

Not going into circumstances beyond this is the proposed epitaph for a gravestone -

'Loved by many, treasured by a few'

What would reading that mean to you when thinking of the deceased, family and friends?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: What would you think of this?

Post by Tacalabala »

They had many passing friends, but only those who really knew them adored them.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I read it twice. The first time I read it as "Loved by many, treasured by few" which I inferred as a bit of a pop... I then read it correctly; "Loved by many, treasured by 'A' few" which seemed a little more intimate.

On the whole I can't help but wonder if there is a disguised meaning in there. Why the need to differentiate between loved & treasured. Im naturally suspicious though and wonder about things I have little need to wonder about.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Maybe the family felt they had a lot of hangers on, I can empathise with that.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I have waited for others as it just seemed rude to me: but then my mind errs on the sordid side.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It might be a Famous Quote, but more likely an Oscar Wilde insult?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Beerfuelledman wrote:I read it twice. The first time I read it as "Loved by many, treasured by few" which I inferred as a bit of a pop... I then read it correctly; "Loved by many, treasured by 'A' few" which seemed a little more intimate.
I read it correctly but still think there is an inference of the former (a LOT of a pop).

Not necessarily what is meant to mean but many will wonder if that was the intention.

Hope that helps....

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

A bit to ambiguous for me which of course may be intended.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Who are the people who truly loved someone, but didn't treasure him/her?

Can you think of someone who you truly love but don't treasure?

Unless it's explained it doesn't sound right.

It seems that the most likely explanation is "superficially loved by many and really treasured by a few".

I'd change it myself unless, as is very possible, I've missed an important subtlety.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Obviously I wouldn't have posted the Q if I'd thought it was a fitting epitaph, but I'm quite aware that when dealing with people that you don't like that it's likely that you'll see something insulting in their words when not intended. Hence the reason for posting, looking for neutral thoughts on the wording. Not that I'm given to wandering graveyards, but I think if I happened to be passing through one and saw that wording I'd be immediately wondering what the hidden message was.

If the 'a' was missing then definitely an insult, but even with it included, is it really much better? Would you like something like that to be marking the final resting place of yourself or your nearest and dearest for years to come?

The pragmatic me says 'so what?', the deceased will be unaware of the headstone (and possibly if she was, wouldn't be surprised), the grave is unlikely to be visited by any of the immediate family and friends after the interment (going on what I know of them), so only strangers passing by might notice it and think to themselves 'strange, what's the story?' and maybe follow some of the lines of thought above. I don't see anyone spotting it and thinking to themselves 'that's a nice memorial'.

The explanation for that wording is that it means 'she had a lot of friends and was treasured by her family', yeah, treasured so much that her ashes remain in a paper bag on an undertaker's shelf 13 months after her cremation. The proceeds from the sale of her house were however distributed within hours of the funds hitting the bank account!

As many will understand, family matters aren't always straightforward and convivial, there can be decades of battles and some very unpleasant ones at that.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It depends if you
1, want to pick the row\fight
and
2, have any chance of winning?

I would have spat coffee across a room on being told this (as I would bound to have just taken a mouthful) then been gobsmacked for days - but then I am divorced.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”