To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How lardy is FISO?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Which category did you fall into?

Underweight
5%
Healthy
45%
Overweight
25%
Obese
25%
Very Obese
No votes

Total votes: 20

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

How lardy is FISO?

Post by murf »

Just find out your BMI (Body Mass Index) by typing your height and weight into a calculator such as this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43697948

The BMI result is assigned to a standard category:
◾Less than 18.5 - underweight
◾18.5 to 24.9 - healthy weight
◾25 to 29.9 - overweight
◾30 to 39.9 - obese
◾40 and over - very obese (also known as morbidly obese)

So are you trim or lardy?? How does FISO compare with the rest of the country/world?
(nb - there is something on that website about different values applying if you are of asian descent - if you are, just fill in the poll as you see fit)

I'm nicely in the middle of the healthy category (22ish) thanks to running regularly and resisting the urge to overeat/drink

(a couple of years ago I lost so much weight training for a marathon that my stomach actually went concave rather than convex - typed that weight in and I was still quite a way above 'underweight'!)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Re: How lardy is FISO?

Post by Spinynorman »

Quite lardy. :(

I come in at 31 which is lot better than the 36.5 I was at 3 years ago.

Still hoping to improve.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Dan Walker the tall thin man from breakfast telly and football focus put his details in this very thing the morning on BBC Breakfast and came up as obese.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I just scrape in as ‘healthy’ although I have shocking diet and do virtually no exercise whatsoever :oops:

69% of men in my age bracket are overweight -> Very Obese

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

6ft 1inch
14st 2lb

26.1 - overweight.

Probably eat less now than I ever have.
I have developed a little beer belly in my forties though.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I was in t'gym the other other day and heard a (short) woman talking about BMI and one of the personal trainers was saying it's an inherently unsatisfactory method of measurement. That Dan Walker one sounds odd but more common would be a short, muscular person with very little body fat who'd come up as obese.

Not sure what's better without it becoming too complicated.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

BMI is notoriously dodgy in that it doesn't take your frame into account or musculature. Your body still has to carry the weight of your muscles though even if they aren't fat.

You can establish percentage fat fairly easily by a measurement of your electrical resistance (I think) but can't do that without a machine.

BMI is a great simple measure but any individual should treat it with care but not use any imperfections as excuses to justify their lardiness.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, we all must have an idea of whether it’s fat or muscle. There’s no point in being a fatty and then trying to claim ‘well Ronaldo has an obese BMI so I can ignore my own BMI reading’

Likewise, I know my diet and inactivity aren’t ideal - so my ‘healthy BMI’ are not to be taken as a ringing endorsement for my lifestyle choices.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

I'm the perfect weight, just a foot and a half too short.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I have on numerous occasions and by a multitude of various health care professionals been told that my ideal weight is twelve and a half stones. I think I last weighed that when I was at school. :shock:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Just done one of our cats but had to fib about his age. At 33.4 he is worse than me but I'm not sure whether I feel good about that or not. :?

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

murf wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:21 Just find out your BMI (Body Mass Index) by typing your height and weight into a calculator such as this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43697948

The BMI result is assigned to a standard category:
◾Less than 18.5 - underweight
◾18.5 to 24.9 - healthy weight
◾25 to 29.9 - overweight
◾30 to 39.9 - obese
◾40 and over - very obese (also known as morbidly obese)

So are you trim or lardy?? How does FISO compare with the rest of the country/world?
(nb - there is something on that website about different values applying if you are of asian descent - if you are, just fill in the poll as you see fit)

I'm nicely in the middle of the healthy category (22ish) thanks to running regularly and resisting the urge to overeat/drink

(a couple of years ago I lost so much weight training for a marathon that my stomach actually went concave rather than convex - typed that weight in and I was still quite a way above 'underweight'!)

BMI means very little mate. Not reliable at all. I have my PT quals and nutrition and although I don't do it for a living any PT worth their salt will tell you the same.

Fat test with calipers is the best way. I am pretty muscular and hardly a ounce of fat on me as I live a good lifestyle yet BMI even has me as slightly overweight which is nonsense

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

As we've said, not ideal for those with heavy muscles....

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I have a heavy brain.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

When I was 19 and playing Rugby seriously I was BMI overweight, but not overweight. Low body fat %, high bleep test score
Now I'm similar BMI (and weight, obviously) but actually could do with losing about a stone to feel like a healthy weight.

I suspect that most people deep down know whether they're a healthy weight or not.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

I’m just ticking over into the obese segment :oops:

I’d be happy to lose the weight to tip back into just overweight.

I’m 44 and went for one of those discounted £129 health checks last week. I was told I had a metabolic age of 49 :? . Then when I mentioned all the 5-a-side footy & Park runs I do ( :wink: ) the nurse insisted on taking a second reading with the machine reset to some kind of ‘sport mode’. I came out aged 29 :!: :?: :!: Just made it look like a load of nonsense. I’ll wait for the 15 page report telling me I’m 40% fat or whatever.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I'm about halfway to obese

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Overweight. 12 stone and 5foot 7. Trying to lose a stone by World Cup 47/48 days

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Funny this has come up, just started a diet and gym again after an accident back in December, lost 3lb net in two weeks so far. Can get in 36 waist at the moment, aiming for 34 waist and to lose a fair chunk of the belly by end of May. Aiming for gym 90mins at least three ideally four nights a week, no chocolate or alcohol since I started, now cutting out bread. I'm lucky that I actually like salad and dried fruit, that definitely helps.

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Tacalabala wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:10 Funny this has come up, just started a diet and gym again after an accident back in December, lost 3lb net in two weeks so far. Can get in 36 waist at the moment, aiming for 34 waist and to lose a fair chunk of the belly by end of May. Aiming for gym 90mins at least three ideally four nights a week, no chocolate or alcohol since I started, now cutting out bread. I'm lucky that I actually like salad and dried fruit, that definitely helps.
That’s what I’m doing no cake Chocolate biscuits or beer. Tried to sign the misses up to sex three times a week for some exercise. Need to be at about 11 stone. Apparently I should be 10 1/2 but I haven’t been that since I was about 16 so can’t imagine ever being that again.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

You’re aware that for exercise to be beneficial the heart rate needs to be elevated for a lot more than 90 seconds.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

If you've got a chunk of spare time, have a read of this. It is long and not all relevant but has got some really interesting ideas on how low-fat diets are, biologically at least, nonsense for someone trying to diet.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ohn-yudkin

TLDR: sugar, not fat, is your enemy.

kingcurtley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 8 x Top 10k finish; TFF 21/22 - 148th; TFC '14 - 6th; T20 '13 - 13th; SP4 RWC Pred Winner '11

Post by kingcurtley »

26 - could lose a stone. Do the exercise, it's the not eating too much for me.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Darbyand wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 09:21 If you've got a chunk of spare time, have a read of this. It is long and not all relevant but has got some really interesting ideas on how low-fat diets are, biologically at least, nonsense for someone trying to diet.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ohn-yudkin

TLDR: sugar, not fat, is your enemy.
Yep sugar is killing all of us slowly, or rather the wrong type of sugar.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I understand all of the sugar/carbs thing but the only success I've ever had was when I was plonked on a low fat diet a couple of years back.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The trick isn't to skip fat or sugar but to reduce meal and portion size and frequency. Less snacking and only 1 proper meal a day. No big lunch if you have a decent breakfast etc.

Also the bleeding obvious that you should burn more calories than you consume. You actually have to exercise quite a bit to burn off just a mars bar.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I think you have to do a marathon to burn off a mars bar which is handy as I do like marathons.

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Zimmerman wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 09:14 You’re aware that for exercise to be beneficial the heart rate needs to be elevated for a lot more than 90 seconds.
I’ll have you know that on a good night I’ve broke the 5 minute barrier.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

BBC defend/justify/explain/discuss the use of BMI.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Spinynorman wrote: I understand all of the sugar/carbs thing but the only success I've ever had was when I was plonked on a low fat diet a couple of years back.
murf wrote:
Also the bleeding obvious that you should burn more calories than you consume. You actually have to exercise quite a bit to burn off just a mars bar.
There's plenty of crossover in a low-fat diet and calorie counting. For instance if you notice the horrendous amounts of fat in a pizza so decide to give it a miss then you'll also be missing a high-calorie food which is a win-win.

Where I think it goes awry is when there's a low fat yogurt with say 5g of fat and 10g of sugar or a regular choice with 10g of fat and 5g of sugar. I'd always go for the latter. As per that article the human body has hundreds of thousands of years of burning off that type and quantity of fat with an active lifestyle. The refined sugar will take you down over the years.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”