To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Two hour daily commute

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Two hour daily commute

Post by unc.si. »

On the rise according to the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38026625

3.7 million people every day according to that article.

My daily commute is 2 hours in the car if I'm in my 'home' office (although can be anywhere from 30 seconds to about 30 hours one way depending on where I have to be)

To be honest I don't like going to the office every day and rarely do the 2 hour round trip more than a couple of days a week (and then sometimes carshare). Does anyone here do that sort of commute every day?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Two hour daily commute

Post by blahblah »

Used to do very close to that: 20 mins walk; 40 mins train and 35 mins walk - obviously the train was a bit more than that and usually took far more than 1.5 hours. Seriously unfunny............ I had to stop when people committing suicide (or trying to) by jumping in front of trains pissed me off.

Many years ago when I worked in Liverpool they interviewed someone from Leeds and they didn't get the job as they wouldn't move straight away; and the interviewers couldn't get their head around someone commuting from Leeds to Liverpool in the late 90's.

I'm from London way, and thought woaw... but they were right. It is daft, uncivilised etc. The right\civilised thing is to be out of work by 5 and playing full rounds of golf after work for a fair few months in the summer.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Used to take me between just over 1 hour or 2 hours to my regular base in Walsall depending on what shift I was on. If I was at our Dudley base then it was more like 3 hours. There was many a day when I would spend 7 hours on the bus and walking and only 5 hours working in a 13 hour shift!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

2.5hrs and upwards per day (return) for me.

Although week has been particularly bad on the days I've gone in to the office (3-4hrs per day).
2 days working at home has kept my sanity.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Last time that happened I had to move to within walking distance. 2.5 hours there with 2.5 hours back with a 14 hour nightshift was somehow untenable. Also remember when I moved there at one time they gave me 21 shifts in a row. I guess the law didn't monitor security working time directive that much then. Then the security industry was never hot on union rights and a pension scheme was unheard of.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Been there. Done that. Got fed up. Jacked it in. Retired early.

Only actually did 2 hours for 3 or so years. Had been 1.5hrs for last 8. Didn't mind the commute so much with my radio/iPod(/books in train years), more the time between the 2 journeys. Waste of a life......

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Currently do a 35 minute drive each way, can't imagine doing more than that. A complete waste of precious time.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

About 40 mins each way for me, although the M40 is a nightmare at times.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Seriously cannot imagine having to spend hours every day travelling to and from work - it must be a nightmare!

It's been a bad journey for me if my drive to work takes more than 15 minutes.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

ha,

30 min standing on a packed overground then 15 min even more packed on the tube with a 15 min walk to go on top, there and back. That does not include the waiting so can be easy 1.5 hours one way and I get the pleasure to line the pockets of TFL just short of £200 a month.

Let me go back to Finland :(

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Finsimbo wrote:ha,

30 min standing on a packed overground then 15 min even more packed on the tube with a 15 min walk to go on top, there and back. That does not include the waiting so can be easy 1.5 hours one way and I get the pleasure to line the pockets of TFL just short of £200 a month.

How long is the walk home end?

(And sympathies)

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Up to age 55 I never worked more than 20 minutes drive or 45 minutes walk from home, and played weekly 20 over cricket on summer evenings.

I then bagged a 20 year enhanced redundancy deal, walked into another job with 75 minutes each way drive, walk, tube, walk (avoiding car parks and zone 1).
From day 1 I planned my exit :mrgreen: and bagged another redundancy after 3.5 years. I tolerated the commute, but couldn't have done it long term.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

All takes me back.....

I do love being retired and still in my 40s!!

I must admit I did have to catch a bus today. So me and my dog could do a lovely 8 mile walk home across the fells in glorious sunshine. Beats any office!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote:All takes me back.....

I do love being retired and still in my 40s!!

I must admit I did have to catch a bus today. So me and my dog could do a lovely 8 mile walk home across the fells in glorious sunshine. Beats any office!

Even this one?

22 to 24 hour commute each way though :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just had a similar sunset!

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

blahblah wrote:

(And sympathies)
Walk to and from both stations roughly half hour. So 1 hour walking and 1 hour(1.5 this morning) deep breathing and relax...

TFL are a funny bunch, had a good old chuckle. Got off my over ground with the one before cancelled, even more packed than usual, woop woop, walk down to northern line and according to the notice board we have a good service, phew, queues out on the pre platform must have been close to 15 deep oh how I laughed at the good service msg. Let 6 go before me then tried. Not much difference, thought to myself I could get really frustrated over this and curse tfl and make my day shit, but just listened to my music and thought " well I cant do anything about this so just carry on" Work 20 min late but whateva nothing I could do.

Peace everyone

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Finsimbo wrote:
blahblah wrote:

(And sympathies)
Walk to and from both stations roughly half hour. So 1 hour walking and 1 hour(1.5 this morning) deep breathing and relax...

TFL are a funny bunch, had a good old chuckle. Got off my over ground with the one before cancelled, even more packed than usual, woop woop, walk down to northern line and according to the notice board we have a good service, phew, queues out on the pre platform must have been close to 15 deep oh how I laughed at the good service msg. Let 6 go before me then tried. Not much difference, thought to myself I could get really frustrated over this and curse tfl and make my day shit, but just listened to my music and thought " well I cant do anything about this so just carry on" Work 20 min late but whateva nothing I could do.

Peace everyone
It makes me laugh when people get worried about being 10/20 minutes late for work. I often find these same people are usually turning up 20/30 minutes early, so actually they owe you time you chump!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Next week is going to break my commuting record. In Patagonia and because pope Francisco is visiting Chile and I booked hotels and flights late I’m setting off tomorrow night for a Monday morning meeting. 66 hours (although with long layovers in Buenos Aires and in Santiago so at least I’ll get to eat some nice steak on the way)
A mere 30 hours in the way back so nearly 4 entire days travelling for 4 days work

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Feel pretty lucky that I have a 15 min journey each way. Sometimes 20 mins if traffic is bad.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”