To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Are you religious?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Are you religious

Absolutely. I live my life by the book (whichever book applies to my faith) and attend place of worship regularly
10%
I am, but only occasionally pray and/or attend place of worship
4%
I say I am, but I don't take the book literally and rarely attend place of worship but occasionally
5%
I say I am, but it has no influence on my life at all
2%
I'm ambivalent about it all, doesn't bother me either way
7%
I'm not, but not bothered religion exists
11%
I'm not, and religion should be abolished
12%
I'm not, I don't mind that people have faith and its useful to them... But religion should have no place in politics, news or education
50%

Total votes: 110

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Are you religious?

Post by buu1333 »

I am not religious but I believe in something ,( maybe hope)

Do you ?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

In what way do you 'believe' in hope?

Are you saying you are optimistic?

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

I meant they is something after death , but I don't believe in heaven and hell. You could say I am spiritual

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

I remember a while ago reading an great piece, in New Scientist I think, on Religion and in a nutshell the authors theory was that Religion emerged due to our knowledge of our own mortality - something rare amongst animals.

How do we carry on with "normal" life knowing we are all going to die? Religion and the prospect of an afterlife gave "hope" that this life is not all there is.

Are there any Religions that don't believe in the afterlife/heaven/reincarnation etc?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 18:26 According to a recent poll, 53% of people identify themselves as atheist.
Really?? Fake news for a gag?

The last UK census (2011) had it at a quarter (25.1%) who said they had 'no religion'. 59% were christian, just 9% other religions (presumably including us jedis) with 7% not answering.

I would imagine that the no religion category maybe included agnostics too so less than 25% would actually say they were atheists.

Last 2 censuses:

No religion Christian Muslim Other Not stated
2001 14.8 71.7 3.0 2.8 7.7
2011 25.1 59.3 4.8 3.6 7.2

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

murf wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 18:58
bspittles wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 18:26 According to a recent poll, 53% of people identify themselves as atheist.
Really?? Fake news for a gag?

The last UK census (2011) had it at a quarter (25.1%) who said they had 'no religion'. 59% were christian, just 9% other religions (presumably including us jedis) with 7% not answering.
The UK census wasn't mentioned - bspittles said a recent poll.

It was by Win-Gallup poll and can be found here
http://www.wingia.com/en/news/religion_ ... _2016/370/

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

So it is 11% then..... :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I assume it is this he was referring to
Zimmerman wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 20:18 Less than 50% of the population describe themselves as having a religion (those figures unsurprisingly, propped up by the older generation).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... des-survey

Doesn't bode well for the church system.

Wonder if the UKIP/Britain first crew will panic once they realise that Islam could become the dominant religion in the U.K. and find god?!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bit of a misinterpretation by the Grauniad and a massive one by the time it came to bspittles (if he was using this data set).

Only 11% said they were atheists. The others said they were not religious. Many people are not regular churchgoers but still call themselves christans (and other faiths) but aren't "religious" so didn't tick that box. Same with all the agnostics. Both sets are a long, long way from being atheists.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

The religion of those who are not religious has always fascinated me.

A few years ago one of my workmates (non religious) and I were both called for jury service within a few months of each other. He, in his words, didn't want to stand out/appear difficult and swore on the bible. I was quite happy turning the card and going the "I swear and affirm" route.

People saying they are Christian (or whatever their upbringing is) when they aren't is one more reason why I don't pay too much attention to what people tell the Govt they are on a census. Conformity is a strong pull.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Exactly. I think it was Dawkins who carried out a survey (post census) probably referenced in this thread.

Lots of people identify themselves as being 'christian' purely because 'that's what they are' but in reality don't practice being a Christian in any shape or form.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

murf wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 21:59 Bit of a misinterpretation by the Grauniad and a massive one by the time it came to bspittles (if he was using this data set).

Only 11% said they were atheists. The others said they were not religious. Many people are not regular churchgoers but still call themselves christans (and other faiths) but aren't "religious" so didn't tick that box. Same with all the agnostics. Both sets are a long, long way from being atheists.

I'd argue youre the one stretching it.

If people identify themselves as:

More generally, 53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015.

then its fair to say more than half has no religion?

If they thought of themselves as Christian or whatever despite only attending church for ceremonial purposes they would have identified themselves as having a particular faith?

It's possibly semantics saying you don't have a faith or being agnostic versus Atheism. But I get your point.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

RomynPG wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 22:39
A few years ago one of my workmates (non religious) and I were both called for jury service within a few months of each other. He, in his words, didn't want to stand out/appear difficult and swore on the bible. I was quite happy turning the card and going the "I swear and affirm" route.
You're in court as a defendant.
Would you dare say you don't have religion?

I've thought about it, and part of me thinks I might be too scared (through fear of being judged)... sure there's a few paradoxs in my thought process here :)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:
murf wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 21:59 Bit of a misinterpretation by the Grauniad and a massive one by the time it came to bspittles (if he was using this data set).

I'd argue youre the one stretching it.

If people identify themselves as:

More generally, 53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015.

then its fair to say more than half has no religion?

If they thought of themselves as Christian or whatever despite only attending church for ceremonial purposes they would have identified themselves as having a particular faith?

It's possibly semantics saying you don't have a faith or being agnostic versus Atheism. But I get your point.
The table of survey answers I saw had 3 options. One was 'atheist' which only 11% selected and one was "religious". The main one selected was "not religious" and NOT "no religious affiliation" which is a big difference and even further from atheist.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think the guardian just lifted the speil direct from the BSA website.

http://www.natcen.ac.uk/news-media/pres ... -religion/

The question asked was this

Do you regard yourself as belonging to any particular religion? IF YES: Which?'

This looks like the table of data...

http://www.natcen.ac.uk/media/1469605/BSA-religion.pdf

'

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

That appears to be a completely different survey to the other I was talking about (Win-Gallop, link from RomynPG) :lol: :?

Still a long way from calling yourself an atheist as the original stat from bspittles claimed

All any of this proves is there are a lot of wishy-washy, not really religious people in this country. Might say they are agnostic or basically 'christian' but don't really do anything about it but won't commit 100% to anything. Those of us who claim to 'know', be that devout religious folks or affirmed atheists appear to be in a minority.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”