To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Look to the East tonight... Plus other astronomy chat

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Re: Look to the East tonight...

Post by jeffmcgow »

Karrde wrote:Go on youtube and look at the Sixtysymbols videos. They are made by (I think) the Physics Professors at Nottingham University and are all brilliant.

This is the one that talks about what happens when Black Holes collide - as will happen when Andromeda and The Milky Way collide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHwHM5Kj ... w&index=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd definitely second that. The period table of videos series by the Nottingham team are also very entertaining (oh, and educational :D )

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Think there is some confusion. Orion's belt does only take up a tiny bit of sky. Betelgeuse (the left arm) is much further away than the distance between the 3 belt stars.

This is all very spooky as I was only pointing them out to Mrs m earlier. Betelgeuse actually confused me because I thought it was a planet as it is so Orange at the mo. Apparently happens in winter.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Presumably the time of day and year will affect the appearance of Orion (and all constellations)?

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hornet »

Karrde wrote:
DixieDean wrote:Posted this before... worth a look:

http://scaleofuniverse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My latest addition to my favourites bar. Amazing.
Cheers Dixie, great link.

A pretty smart app is available for viewing the night sky using your smartphone...Starchart Costs £2.99 but well worth imo. There are similar free versions out there but not as good as this one.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I use the free Google Sky but that one looks worth the money.

I think I will get my moneys worth before the world ends in 2036 due to an asteroid strike.

On Friday the 13th April 2029 'Apophis' will make a close pass at a distance of about 30,000km from earth before coming back to get us 7 years later.

Professor Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer at Queen's University Belfast, UK, said: "In 2029, it will pass so close to us that Earth's gravity will change its orbit..... [and] there is a small region of space - something we call a keyhole ..... it passes through that keyhole in 2029, it will [then] come back and hit us on 13 April in 2036."

So it is going to pass by us so close that it will loop round and come back and get us 7 years later (sounds a bit like one of those dark green ones on Angry Birds).

how we will die

(before you contact the Mayans, please note there is only a calculated 1 in 200,000 chance of this happening - but that is 65 times more likely than your line of lottery numbers coming up on saturday. Do you feel lucky punk?)

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

we'll be fine

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

jpk wrote:we'll be fine

They'll screw up the attempt in 2029 just to make the film more exciting when they finally succeed in 2036.

Just think of the plot possibilities - some of the old crew get to go back to make amends for their original failure. The original captain is even older and has to go onto the shuttle in a wheelchair - a parallel to the shuttle itself being dragged out of mothballs. I'm sending this off to Hollywood before anybody else does. Hopefully they'll finally agree to make it in time for 2029......

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

at one point they thought it had a 1-45 chance of hitting us.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

murf wrote:
Professor Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer at Queen's University Belfast, UK, said: "In 2029, it will pass so close to us that Earth's gravity will change its orbit..... [and] there is a small region of space - something we call a keyhole ..... it passes through that keyhole in 2029, it will [then] come back and hit us on 13 April in 2036."
What's he got got to say about Aquarians? Bet it's some bollocks about changing lifestyles and having some challenges ahead but we'll get through it.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

it will [then] come back and hit us on 13 April in 2036."
What's he got got to say about Aquarians? Bet it's some bollocks about changing lifestyles and having some challenges ahead but we'll get through it.
Basically that we are lucky because we'll have had our birthdays just a couple of months before we die (and before the mass panic really sets in during March).

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

murf wrote:
it will [then] come back and hit us on 13 April in 2036."
Basically that we are lucky because we'll have had our birthdays just a couple of months before we die (and before the mass panic really sets in during March).
Does that mean that the FF will stop before the end of the season?

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Last night was an especially clear night here so I spent some time star gazing. I am not sure how to describe exactly what it is I have a question on but I will giv eit my best. There was an incredibly bright star or planet located below the Pleiades in the direction of the Horizon. The distance between the two was about twice the length of Orions belt. It was easily the brightest object in the sky and white/blue in color. Also had a great view of Betelgeuse and have never noticed it so orange before.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

What time was you looking up? Give me a rough idea and I'll look back and try to work out what you were seeing.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Had a rough look... It was probably Jupiter or maybe Aldebaran, which is a bright star in that approximate area.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

It was around 6:30 pm in Texas so I think thats 0:30 GMT?

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Sounds like Jupiter to me. There is not much brighter this time of year

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Awesome thanks!

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

If not Jupiter it could have been Rigel which is blue.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

No i flooking at this picture it would be further up to the left than Betelgeuse

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Just confirmed that it was indeed Jupiter.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

My software is based on me being in London so I'd still say it must have been Jupiter from where you are over in Texas.

In a way that still amazes me... Our planet is incredibly tiny compared to everything else out there but the relatively massive distance we are apart can still make the night sky look so different.

Stupendous!!!

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Download Stellarium ctibbits. Once you tell it where you are it will map the sky for you. Plus you can roll time back and forth to check what you was or will see on any given date.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

FWIW this is my next challenge as an amateur stargazer. In theory my 5" reflector should find this on a good seeing night.

It's a group of stars in the Orion Nebula. It's apparently quite easy to find the main 4 stars but there are another 2 that can be seen on a good night.

http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/trap/trap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:Download Stellarium ctibbits. Once you tell it where you are it will map the sky for you. Plus you can roll time back and forth to check what you was or will see on any given date.

Just installed this and it looks great.
thanks

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Just looked up at the sky last night to see what looked like 2 stars besides the eyeline of the moon and was thinking one of them must be a planet as it was quite bright.It was a rare moon Jupiter conjunction.Usually don't bother exploring as London isn't the best location usually to scan the night sky.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/21/stoo ... n-jupiter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Looks like lots of clear skies tonight so you may have a chance to see the Asteroid that will have close shave with the Earth tonight.

Binoculars or a telescope will be needed and from what I've read it's going to be a little tricky to find but I'm going to give it a go!!!

Here's a map:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Presume 'mag' = magnitude of brightness??

How does 9.7 compare with the main stars in the plough?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21442863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To come within 17,000 miles!

Faster than level 10 on the Atari.

Lots of them around at the moment, some amazing sights from Russia injuring at least 400 people.
Last edited by WilBert on 15 Feb 2013, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Yep, Mag = Brightness and the lower the number the brighter the star. The 2 stars in The Plough that it will pass between are Mag 1.75 and 3.3.

So quite a bit dimmer.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

DixieDean wrote:Yep, Mag = Brightness and the lower the number the brighter the star. The 2 stars in The Plough that it will pass between are Mag 1.75 and 3.3.

So quite a bit dimmer.
Thanks - me and my naked eye won't try then - the sky will still be too bright close to the horizonat 8pm when the asteroid will be at its brightest.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”