To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

SPOTY 2018

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: SPOTY 2018

Post by blahblah »

I struggle to see why Thomas is obvious, yet Yates isn't.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 18:54 I struggle to see why Thomas is obvious, yet Yates isn't.
All about the profile of the event - to the majority, road cycle racing only exists for three weeks in July.

Seems like the other two Grand Tours are catching up and may have virtually equal prestige before long - but it’s still (in the eyes of the British fan at least) like Wimbledon v Aussie Open, or The Open v US PGA, at best.

Plus a past doping sanction, even if minor, will probably count against Yates (it was him not his brother?)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

That one was a Document error, and I do not remember much of a fuss in the cycling world about it - unlike the Froome thing then and after...

The 6 will be down the "experts", rather than the ungreat unwashed so lighting up one GT and winning the other should carry some clout.... That typed: as above re the right mix as well as other "profile" type issues will win the day over achievement etc ie does the F1 expletive actually have any competition?

footy666
Kevin and Perry

Post by footy666 »

During the UK Snooker final, before Ronnie had even won the tournament, the BBC ran a 5 minute VT of snooker players saying how great O Sullivan is, they made a big deal out of him winning the UK title.

Ronnie O Sullivan, if he gets in this shortlist tomorrow night......he will finish in the top 2 IMO. I would not be surprised if he wins it by a ridiculous amount of votes. The only person that I think is in his way is Geraint Thomas - the Welsh could vote in numbers for him.

Not sure why Harry Kane is favourite with the bookies for getting the golden boot at the world cup and captaining England to the Semi Finals.... Harry Kane is a world class footballer, but his achievements this year don't match up to F1 titles or Tour De France wins.

I get that 1 snooker world title isn't anything special, but it's often the legends that win this award not based on small achievements over the year, but huge, long running successes preceding that. Like Tony McCoy, Ryan Giggs, Mo Farah......

I have said for the past 2 or 3 years Ronnie would win this if he got nominated.....let's see.

I bet on him the previous 2 years, but didn't at the beginning of this year after Ronnie said he never wanted to be nominated. As soon as the BBC was making a big deal out of Ronnie being the greatest player of all time, I jumped on and managed to get £5 on him at 100-1 before everyone jumped on and he went from 100-1 to 10-1 in about 10minutes. The bookies wouldn't accept my £50 bet, just £5.

After all this - he prob won't even get nominated.....yet again, but maybe the BBC's VT the other day is a hint that he will be there. Steve Davis also said he should be nominated.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s not about what the greatest achievement is, it’s about who has had the biggest impact on the British public... football is the national sport and it’s been so long since England gave us anything to shout about. That’s why Kane is favourite.

The likes of Lewis Hamilton perhaps lose impact in that way for being so consistently successful, it comes to be expected, but he’s perhaps had his best season yet, winning comfortably in what wasn’t always the best car. Thomas also has a good shout as his is an underdog story despite being part of the Team Sky machine.

It shouldn’t be a lifetime achievement award, though a few times has turned out that way, so yeah, can’t rule Ronnie out.

footy666
Kevin and Perry

Post by footy666 »

Ronnie's odds have come crashing down, I assume the bookies are at the venue watching practice runs and have seen whose in the shortlist and obviously he must not be there.

So hopefully Lewis Hamilton wins it.....I prosper most if he wins.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Interesting change of approach, shortlist of 6, as opposed to the very inclusive longlists of recent years. I guess they were concerned about getting a winner from a niche sport with a dedicated following, who probably wouldn’t be recognised if they walked down the street - a couple of near misses in that respect recently.

Kane, Hamilton and Thomas look like the only ones with a serious chance.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 19:11 Interesting change of approach, shortlist of 6, as opposed to the very inclusive longlists of recent years. I guess they were concerned about getting a winner from a niche sport with a dedicated following, who probably wouldn’t be recognised if they walked down the street - a couple of near misses in that respect recently.

Kane, Hamilton and Thomas look like the only ones with a serious chance.
Jonathan Rae finished second almost out of nowhere last year (this year he has cleaned up compared to last) and so the Beeb probably didn't want someone 90% of the public hadn't heard of winning again.

So good, so far. Nice flag in the audience 8-) Pleased for Gareth, although he had to wear that dirty coloured tie :wink:

Billie Jean King's speech went on for ever but was excellent. Also nice the way she went up to every sportswoman on stage.

The Billy Monger award was very moving as well to be honest.
Last edited by bluenosey on 16 Dec 2018, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

footy666 wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 15:54 Ronnie's odds have come crashing down, I assume the bookies are at the venue watching practice runs and have seen whose in the shortlist and obviously he must not be there.

So hopefully Lewis Hamilton wins it.....I prosper most if he wins.
He is World Class and should win.

Something tells me Thomas could harness the Welsh vote, like Murray did with the Scots.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Overseas award fro Francesco Molinari. Spot on. Well done to the public 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

murf wrote:
unc.si. wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:15 Geraint must be one of the favourites now. Popular amongst cyclists and the public (in a way that Froome can only dream of). Will get a lot of votes from Wales and the whole of the 'cycling vote' if there is such a thing.

Dina Asher Smith must be in with a shot of the top 3 after the Europeans - possibly helped by the fact that the multisport format this year has increased the overall media coverage compared to a 'normal' European championships.

They're probably the only two that look like they might upset the Kane / Hamilton / Joshua Big 3.
I looked at G about 3 days from the end of the Tour (pre time trial) and he was down to about 3/1 - a bit too short otherwise I would have lumped on expecting the mass voting of the trampie masses.

Best you can get now is 5/2, typically 9/4. Kane 7/4 favourite (really???)
Should have taken that 3/1....

footy666
Kevin and Perry

Post by footy666 »

As I expected, the Welsh voted en masse as always......onto next year.....time for a new thread.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

The BBC are hiding behind the way they do Strictly

And not telling us the Votes

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

footy666 wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 08:46 As I expected, the Welsh voted en masse as always......onto next year.....time for a new thread.
How can you say that is expected when you seem to have bet on everyone other than him?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Coz you say that you limp on any Brit that wins anything (within reason)....

I would have voted Yates above him, if nominated. But Tai would have been my 1st choice. (Speedway WC)

FedererGod
FS Record: 22

Post by FedererGod »

footy666 wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 17:35 During the UK Snooker final, before Ronnie had even won the tournament, the BBC ran a 5 minute VT of snooker players saying how great O Sullivan is, they made a big deal out of him winning the UK title.

Ronnie O Sullivan, if he gets in this shortlist tomorrow night......he will finish in the top 2 IMO. I would not be surprised if he wins it by a ridiculous amount of votes. The only person that I think is in his way is Geraint Thomas - the Welsh could vote in numbers for him.

Not sure why Harry Kane is favourite with the bookies for getting the golden boot at the world cup and captaining England to the Semi Finals.... Harry Kane is a world class footballer, but his achievements this year don't match up to F1 titles or Tour De France wins.

I get that 1 snooker world title isn't anything special, but it's often the legends that win this award not based on small achievements over the year, but huge, long running successes preceding that. Like Tony McCoy, Ryan Giggs, Mo Farah......

I have said for the past 2 or 3 years Ronnie would win this if he got nominated.....let's see.

I bet on him the previous 2 years, but didn't at the beginning of this year after Ronnie said he never wanted to be nominated. As soon as the BBC was making a big deal out of Ronnie being the greatest player of all time, I jumped on and managed to get £5 on him at 100-1 before everyone jumped on and he went from 100-1 to 10-1 in about 10minutes. The bookies wouldn't accept my £50 bet, just £5.

After all this - he prob won't even get nominated.....yet again, but maybe the BBC's VT the other day is a hint that he will be there. Steve Davis also said he should be nominated.
Bookies just being bookies like always ... Good try anyway!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Betting Forum”