To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Crap managers who keep getting jobs

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Crap managers who keep getting jobs

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 12:54 A club will take a punt on Puel, Hasenhüttl or Villa-Boas... but not a punt on a British manager?

I bet if you offered Everton fans Howe - they’d be against it. Doubly so after the performance on Saturday under Ferguson. Will be interesting to see if they give him the job (I assume he must have the badges to even be put in temporary charge)?
Yeah, it’s the Allardici/Pardiola argument, even if the likes of those two help perpetuate the stereotype of the “Mike Bassett” teacup-throwing English boss. British managers are unfashionable, particularly those who made their name in the lower leagues. But anyone from the continent, even if from a similar background, seemingly doesn’t have the same issue. An exotic name trumps genuine credentials for the job... but then again, so does a local hero from his playing days, more often than not.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 28 May 2019, 16:21 After two years twiddling his thumbs, Villa Boas is back (appointed at Marseille)

After 6 jobs in 8 years, he’s back for no.7

2009–2010 Acadameia
2010–2011 Porto
2011–2012 Chelsea
2012–2013 Tottenham Hotspur
2014–2016 Zenit Saint Petersburg
2016–2017 Shanghai SIPG
2019– Marseille
Had forgotten about this... AVB’s Marseille looking a pretty handy “best of the rest” in Ligue 1 right now.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

As noted before, English/British managers who have come from a lower level (even succesful mid-Premiership) just don't seem to shift mindset into "big club mode" (eg Moyes and Hodgson, debatably Rodgers) and seem like fish out of water. Easier for foreigners or local heroes (Dalglish, Lampard, maybe Ole or even Ljunberg? and plenty on the continent like Zidane) - maybe they understand the 'big club mentality' from their playing days and just slot in.

I don't understand it but it seems to be a real thing with nobody much proving my theory wrong.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think there was a post way back that talked about chairman not wanting to make a decision that exposed them... so they go for tried and tested managers.

I suppose it’s an extension of that.

The recent examples that go against that are Moyes replacing SAF and Rodgers coming it at Liverpool. Moyes was always a poisoned chalice (and doomed) whilst Rogers took over a team that had been averaging 6-8 place for a few years.

The ex-players getting a crack is purely because it’s acceptable to fans as a failed gamble. He’s a club legend and/or ‘one of ours’. Giving Ferdinand a crack at being manager would be more acceptable that Graham Potter. It’s a nonsensical assumption to assume that a good player = a good manager (this has been proven countless times, but is infinitely more likely to be given a chance than a lower league (or mid table) manager getting a top job.

But there’s some sort of snobbery in football. Just like it’s virtually impossible to get a job without having been a pro-player.

Or pundits. Most (UK) pundits are thick as shit and offer no technical or tactical insight... but without fail, they are all ex-players.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 18:13 But there’s some sort of snobbery in football. Just like it’s virtually impossible to get a job without having been a pro-player.

Or pundits. Most (UK) pundits are thick as shit and offer no technical or tactical insight... but without fail, they are all ex-players.
Yep

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 17:39 As noted before, English/British managers who have come from a lower level (even succesful mid-Premiership) just don't seem to shift mindset into "big club mode" (eg Moyes and Hodgson, debatably Rodgers) and seem like fish out of water. Easier for foreigners or local heroes (Dalglish, Lampard, maybe Ole or even Ljunberg? and plenty on the continent like Zidane) - maybe they understand the 'big club mentality' from their playing days and just slot in.

I don't understand it but it seems to be a real thing with nobody much proving my theory wrong.
Hodgson had managed Inter Milan, so it shouldn’t really have been an issue... and barely counted as a British manager having spent nearly all his earlier career abroad. He was probably just the wrong man at the wrong time with Liverpool, replacing a popular manager at a time of ownership crisis.

For those who do come from lower leagues, I guess it’s hard to shake off that underdog mentality, and the less sophisticated nature of the football. Maybe the B team model in Europe does provide a better platform for managers.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep to the B Team\Club idea. I had never thought of that as another of the benefits.....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:30 Yep to the B Team\Club idea. I had never thought of that as another of the benefits.....
Used to work for Liverpool, promoting from within.

But that was another era....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:35
blahblah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:30 Yep to the B Team\Club idea. I had never thought of that as another of the benefits.....

Indeed, and where MU probably went wrong ie a phased handover from SAF without the DM boot or broom ousting the trusted lieutenants.....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:38
murf wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:35

Indeed, and where MU probably went wrong ie a phased handover from SAF without the DM boot or broom ousting the trusted lieutenants.....
Many MU lieutenants in the AF era jumped out of the passenger seat to manage elsewhere didn't they? From memory those that did and somehow remained in employment deserved to feature on this thread (Kidd and arguably McLaren. Anyone else? What did Phelan do?)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

There was the Dutch(?) bod too, but I think internally would have been different, but then probably none of that list :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Phelan managed Hull... Queiroz managed Real, briefly, and his national team...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

McSpannerman is rocking the "English pundits are plain thick" this evening.....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Do we need a new subset: "Crap managers who keep getting jobs at the same clubs"?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 23:14 Do we need a new subset: "Crap managers who keep getting jobs at the same clubs"?
Well, Moyes did it at the second attempt this month, after failing to secure a return to Everton...

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

forestfan wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 23:21
murf wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 23:14 Do we need a new subset: "Crap managers who keep getting jobs at the same clubs"?
Well, Moyes did it at the second attempt this month, after failing to secure a return to Everton...
He's not a crap manager he is just a very naughty boy :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

SUZYKINS wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 09:13
forestfan wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 23:21
He's not a crap manager he is just a very naughty boy :mrgreen:
Erm he can be both?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ian Holloway. Grimsby. Nuff said.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

His 7th job in 14 years.

He can’t be short of money and presumably lives in the south west? Could you be arsed taking a job at Grimsby (especially when they are flirting with relegation in the 4th tier) and won’t be paying him anything significant (I assume).

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Who you gonna call? Alan Pardew & Chris Powell get the Ghostbusters treatment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51 ... e=facebook

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Simon Grayson, 4 promotions from League One, but always finds the Championship a tough task.
He must be getting close to an honourable mention here.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

foxinthebox2001 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 16:17 Simon Grayson, 4 promotions from League One, but always finds the Championship a tough task.
He must be getting close to an honourable mention here.
Larry’s the League One Warnock... tends to get a nosebleed when he goes above his normal level. Hasn’t worked out for him this time at Blackpool, though... and that should have been quite an easy job, given the club is on a high having rid itself of the Oyston curse.

Colin and ‘Olly both linked to the job, favourites of this thread...

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 20:33 Ian Holloway. Grimsby. Nuff said.
I must admit I love Hollo. Never gonna be the greatest manager but imagine he'd be great to have a pint with 8-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Oh please, he blamed the EU for VAR?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

:lol:

Make that two pints :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

No doubt he'll be the first to complain about not being able to sign a bod from the EU in a season or 2.....

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Let's just hope the French don't get access to some of Grimsby's fishing waters. That's the only reason he's there, isn't it, for the fish n chips :wink:

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Or Dracula?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Isn't Whitby further north?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 21:49 Isn't Whitby further north?
Yeah, and has better fish and chips as well...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”