To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Crap managers who keep getting jobs

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Crap managers who keep getting jobs

Post by forestfan »

Following the discussions on Paul Jewell and Phil "Orange" Brown, any other nominations for those managers who keep getting appointed based on a brief spell of success at one or perhaps two clubs, completely outweighed by the failures on their record but still owners/chairmen seem to retain the misguided belief they are any good?

I'm not talking about those who necessarily play "ugly" football or are dislikable as characters, but those who just consistently fail to get results, are sacked and just walk into another managerial position. Those from the past as well as today, the ones you just dread hearing the name of in association with your club's vacancy. So who are football's worst managers who just keep coming back for more?

Deppy
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL/TFF side game champ 11/12, FISO5AS CHAMP 11/12, TFFOO7 CHAMP 11/12.

Re: Crap managers who keep getting jobs

Post by Deppy »

Roy Keane & Steve Bruce.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Danny Wilson was one for me.....always seemed to be changing clubs

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Deppy wrote:Roy Keane & Steve Bruce.
To be honest, any ex-Utd player who is now a manager.

Mark Hughes
Roy Keane
Steve Bruce
Steve McClaren
Paul Ince
Bryan Robson
Darren Ferguson
Brian Kidd

Hopefully Solskjaer and Kanchelskis will buck this trend.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

How about Peter "future England manager" Taylor... one time England caretaker in fact. Still seen as a "promising" manager into his 50s, ended up failing even in the Conference.

Of course the late Alan Ball has to be one of the all time legends of this type, how many clubs did he get relegated?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Roberto Mancini :shock:

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Yahoo Fantasy Golf FISO Champion 2009 & 2012, TFF MOTM winner Jan 2012, Tinkerman weekly winner, OFL Golf 2012 - 8th, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th,

Post by Zoolander »

Isn't it more that good managers tend to keep their jobs so an unsuccessful manager will always be replaced by another unsuccessful one?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Very few out of work managers who aren't in that position due to being sacked ( / resigning / leaving by 'mutual consent') because they were crap.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zoolander wrote:Isn't it more that good managers tend to keep their jobs so an unsuccessful manager will always be replaced by another unsuccessful one?
Well, good ones normally move onwards and upwards unless they are already at a real top club.

Rather than appointing a serial failure, there's always the option to try someone young, someone who has been an assistant, someone successful abroad or at a lower level...

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

9 posts in and nobody has mentioned Mick McCarthy :shock:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Ashers wrote:

Mark Hughes
Roy Keane
Steve Bruce
Steve McClaren
Paul Ince
Bryan Robson
Darren Ferguson
Brian Kidd

McClaren is not a crap manager. People just remember him for the disaster he made when manager of England and he had that job with only 5 years experience of club management. He did a good job with Middlesborough and an even better one with FC Twente.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

forestfan wrote:
Zoolander wrote:Isn't it more that good managers tend to keep their jobs so an unsuccessful manager will always be replaced by another unsuccessful one?
Well, good ones normally move onwards and upwards unless they are already at a real top club.

Rather than appointing a serial failure, there's always the option to try someone young, someone who has been an assistant, someone successful abroad or at a lower level...

+1 didn't think Zoolander post made any sense

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Surprised wrote:
Ashers wrote:

Mark Hughes
Roy Keane
Steve Bruce
Steve McClaren
Paul Ince
Bryan Robson
Darren Ferguson
Brian Kidd

McClaren is not a crap manager. People just remember him for the disaster he made when manager of England and he had that job with only 5 years experience of club management. He did a good job with Middlesborough and an even better one with FC Twente.
And what about Forest? And Wolfsburg?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Sven
Chris Coleman
Peter Reid?

Joe Kerr
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joe Kerr »

I think that makes him average, not crap.

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Yahoo Fantasy Golf FISO Champion 2009 & 2012, TFF MOTM winner Jan 2012, Tinkerman weekly winner, OFL Golf 2012 - 8th, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th,

Post by Zoolander »

forestfan wrote:Well, good ones normally move onwards and upwards unless they are already at a real top club.

Somebody young? Hughes, Ince, Keane?

Somebody who has been an assistant? McLaren, Kidd, Brown?

Somebody successful abroad? AVB, Scolari, Ramos?

Yep...that's guaranteed to work!
Last edited by Zoolander on 24 Oct 2012, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Kerr
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joe Kerr »

forestfan wrote:And what about Forest? And Wolfsburg?
I think that makes him average, not crap.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zoolander wrote:
forestfan wrote:Well, good ones normally move onwards and upwards unless they are already at a real top club.

Somebody young? Hughes, Ince, Keane?

Somebody who has been an assistant? McLaren, Kidd, Brown?

Yep...that works!
There's successes and failures in any type of managerial appointment... just pointing out that not every struggling club has to take on a manager with previous failures on his CV. The greats have to start somewhere, and usually it's just down to someone taking a gamble on them rather than appointing the 50-year-old manager with six underwhelming spells in charge at other clubs.

Garyalanlawro
Kevin and Perry

Post by Garyalanlawro »

Anybody read "Soccernomics"? (or its earlier incarnation "When England lose")? There's a whole chapter in there on how football clubs are notoriously clannish and keep appointing the same crap managers, even when better alternatives are available. The reason they do this is because the board is afraid of being blamed by the fans if they appoint someone who isn't from the usual stable of managers and who fails in the job. If they appoint a regular on the managerial merry-go-round, and he fails, its his fault, not theirs

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Zoolander »

Garyalanlawro wrote:Anybody read "Soccernomics"? (or its earlier incarnation "When England lose")? There's a whole chapter in there on how football clubs are notoriously clannish and keep appointing the same crap managers, even when better alternatives are available. The reason they do this is because the board is afraid of being blamed by the fans if they appoint someone who isn't from the usual stable of managers and who fails in the job. If they appoint a regular on the managerial merry-go-round, and he fails, its his fault, not theirs
Makes much more sense than my reasoning. :lol:

Garyalanlawro
Kevin and Perry

Post by Garyalanlawro »

I think there's a quote in football along the lines of "all managerial careers end in failure"
Not very inspiring I know.....but if you know that getting in, it must soften the blow on the way out........

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zoolander wrote:
Garyalanlawro wrote:Anybody read "Soccernomics"? (or its earlier incarnation "When England lose")? There's a whole chapter in there on how football clubs are notoriously clannish and keep appointing the same crap managers, even when better alternatives are available. The reason they do this is because the board is afraid of being blamed by the fans if they appoint someone who isn't from the usual stable of managers and who fails in the job. If they appoint a regular on the managerial merry-go-round, and he fails, its his fault, not theirs
Surely there's few things that fans dread more than the appointment of this kind of managerial journeyman though. I'd rather have the bright young prospect from the lower leagues, at least he will have ambition and fresh ideas and might just prove to be something special on the odd occasion. Although appointing a young manager based on his name and reputation as a player is a trend that thankfully seems less in favour these days. Most great players are craptacular managers!

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I am dedicating this thread to Gary Megson, now if it was a shouting contest, Megson is your man.
Before anyone goes there I have nothing against gingers.
9 (nine) managerial posts in 17 years, that takes some doing.

McShanks
Treebeard

Post by McShanks »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:I am dedicating this thread to Gary Megson, now if it was a shouting contest, Megson is your man.
I'll raise your Megson with a John Sitton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obixCOVTVwY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garyalanlawro
Kevin and Perry

Post by Garyalanlawro »

forestfan wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
Surely there's few things that fans dread more than the appointment of this kind of managerial journeyman though. I'd rather have the bright young prospect from the lower leagues, at least he will have ambition and fresh ideas and might just prove to be something special on the odd occasion. Although appointing a young manager based on his name and reputation as a player is a trend that thankfully seems less in favour these days. Most great players are craptacular managers!
Yep, agreed with you there

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

McShanks wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:I am dedicating this thread to Gary Megson, now if it was a shouting contest, Megson is your man.
I'll raise your Megson with a John Sitton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obixCOVTVwY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll see you both and raise you a Roy Hodgson.

20 posts in 36 years.

13 posts in the last 17 years.

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

Keggy?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Paul Sturrock and Kevin Blackwell are a couple of names that spring to mind. No idea how either are doing now but they both seemed to be moving from one sacking to another (no research involved so my apologies to these managers in advance if I've unfairly tarnished their names!)

Bert.
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bert. »

How does McLeish EVER get a management job???

His football is sooooo boring as to make growing grass seem dynamic.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Zimmerman wrote:
I'll see you both and raise you a Roy Hodgson.

20 posts in 36 years.

13 posts in the last 17 years.
Pretty harsh on hodgson - he's been pretty successful at most of his clubs :?

What is interesting is that clubs here only seem to be aware of, or consider, what is quite a small pool of managers.

And perhaps another issue for the racism thread: none of them are black. Not that's racism that really matters.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”