To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Breakaway European Super League

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Re: Breakaway European Super League

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:I don't remember the ICL. Was it out your way?

The Indian football thing was a tad bizarre to me, but could you get enough bums on seats paying enough to one of the Football elite? Remember shirt sales etc.....
Initially, yes. The marketing was good ("Atletico de Kolkata" Image), some retired European and Brazilian footballers joined and the clubs were mostly newly founded. Still going okay, but that's because it brought money and attention to Indian football. PL hardly needs that, does it? Aside from Woodward: that guy wants a golden rim on his a**ehole.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I remember strange (as shite) players and managers from here going out for the few months(?) a year it ran for?

But the ICL was cricket? I'm after breakaways that failed, as all that I can think of did succeed eventually.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:I remember strange (as shite) players and managers from here going out for the few months(?) a year it ran for?

But the ICL was cricket? I'm after breakaways that failed, as all that I can think of did succeed eventually.
Yes, cricket. It technically failed but led to the swift formation of IPL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Cricket_League

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The Pakistani involvement rings a bell.... hey ho it led to the IPL so kinda succeeded?

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Yeah.. maybe the ESL could evoke a similar response from PL? Maybe not a new league, but opening their eyes in general.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 00:07 Yeah.. maybe the ESL could evoke a similar response from PL? Maybe not a new league, but opening their eyes in general.
The thing is that the "6" have said that they don't want out of the Prem. (I assume the other 6 have said the same.) Their main point is the meaningless (as they think they deserve to qualify) group matches and a right to however many matches (18?) that they are proposing and the cash only being split between 20 Clubs.

I believe that they know UEFA will go bananas and pull rank on the FA to boot them out. That makes them look less bad and getting to going global and have a 36 ish League and a Cup. This opens up NFL Franchise opportunities and funny fixture schemes. If they take the League Global then FIFA could actually back them if they involve Asia ie Orient and India and maybe Australia; and non SA Africa.

Unless the 12 (or however many it is) do something daft they can't lose. Fans (as a generalisation) are over playing their opposition and the TV Revenue and alternative bums to sit on seats in other countries lean they can relocate....

I would guess that the global TV audiences for at least a match a day has clarified the potential audience if they stagger matches. Obvious the English fans are playing the history card, but unlike Brexit the Global Businesses will do what they wish....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 00:29
SirMattBugsby wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 00:07 Yeah.. maybe the ESL could evoke a similar response from PL? Maybe not a new league, but opening their eyes in general.
If they take the League Global then FIFA could actually back them if they involve Asia ie Orient and India and maybe Australia; and non SA Africa.
What, move Leyton Orient to Asia? The Hearns won’t be happy, though they’d get a nice payday and be out of the shadow of that Olympic Stadium mob... :wink:

I presume non-SA Africa means some Congolese dictator paying ESL to host a team, rather like boxing in the 70s...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, Florentino Perez’s argument is that young people aren’t interested in football because there’s too many poor quality games... and it’s been said that young people, the Generation Z zero-attention-span crowd, don’t bother watching full games just highlight clips on their phones, and follow players rather than teams, so they’d buy a Messi shirt whether he played for Barcelona, Bayern Munich or Bangkok United. I doubt there’s many in that bracket on here, though some may have sons/daughters/nephews/nieces/grandchildren who tick that box?

It’s similar to what brought us IPL in cricket with its identity and history-less franchises and players who are just mercenaries for hire. And the even more bastardised “Hundred” due to start over here. But we haven’t lost proper cricket which still co-exists alongside it, even if somewhat uncomfortably so at times.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I don't really follow cricket but the idea of IPL appals me. Invented franchises with mercenaries for auction. How can anyone want that?

Yet it is very popular. Perez may have a point.

Good job we ****ed the planet up for the next generation. They don't deserve it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Renton wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:22 Everton not holding back

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2111866
Jealousy is a bitter thing.....

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

Having morals and loyalty towards your own supporters is jealousy?

That’s a bitter little world you live in fella.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Renton wrote:Everton not holding back

Everton are wrong. It isn't 6 clubs, it is 6 sets of owners.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:23 I don't really follow cricket but the idea of IPL appals me. Invented franchises with mercenaries for auction. How can anyone want that?

Good job we ****ed the planet up for the next generation. They don't deserve it.
That’s why you voted for Brexit :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:29

I thought it was 12 😉

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:23 I don't really follow cricket but the idea of IPL appals me. Invented franchises with mercenaries for auction. How can anyone want that?

That’s why you voted for Brexit :wink:
Except I didn't.

Ban the ESL from the UK Boris!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

That’s another thing... as it stands, there’s 7 cities and 3 countries represented. That leaves a lot of Europe to be permanently starved of top-level football.
Last edited by forestfan on 20 Apr 2021, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Renton wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:27 Having morals and loyalty towards your own supporters is jealousy?

That’s a bitter little world you live in fella.
Oh please. Everton's owners would be singing a different tune if they were part of it. It is beyond naive to think otherwise.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
murf wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:29

I thought it was 12 Image
Everton (the owners that is, they who think they are the club) clearly don't give a stuff about the lesser Italian and Spanish clubs.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s sport for the “me, me, me” generation. Everything’s about individuals. A bit like how music has gone, I saw it pointed out that there’s hardly any bands these days, and that wasn’t just referring to rock/guitar bands - even the “pop group” is an endangered species. It’s all individual artists who just collaborate with each other to broaden their fanbases, nobody wants the hassle of being tied to a group of others.

Football (and all codes derived from it) is the ultimate team game, and doesn’t fit naturally with that. Even if 95% of kids always wanted to be Gazza or Beckham and not that clogger of a centre-back, it was about supporting your team. But it’s headed towards pure worship of individual stars, whatever colours they wear (zebra print, Paisley pattern or just traditional old pink...) and that just isn’t football.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

When did football die? I remember people complaining about Blackburn being funded by a local businessman, who seemed to be doing it for the glory rather than profit....

Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else
Highest FPL Finish 3502 2006/07 back when no one else played

Post by Tony Towners Tache »

If the financially big six do take their ball home is it perhaps time to finally let the Scottish clubs join a rejigged UK football pyramid? Celtic and Rangers would add spice to the new premier league (unless they also endeavour to follow the money). We could probably give Stranraer a decent game at the NYS in the new third division. Add a bit of interest.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

And unwanted violence....

Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else
Highest FPL Finish 3502 2006/07 back when no one else played

Post by Tony Towners Tache »

Fair point but anymore so than when the Welsh clubs come to town? Unwanted violence being only slightly preferable to wanted violence.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Tony Towners Tache wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:44 If the financially big six do take their ball home is it perhaps time to finally let the Scottish clubs join a rejigged UK football pyramid? Celtic and Rangers would add spice to the new premier league (unless they also endeavour to follow the money). We could probably give Stranraer a decent game at the NYS in the new third division. Add a bit of interest.
Just as Scotland goes independent :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Boris hasn't thought this through. He should want the breakaway and a new UK-wide Premier League.

No Rangers or Celtic fan will vote for Sturgeon's independence if it means getting kicked out of the new UK Premier League

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hmmmmm a real UK thing.... It would need 2 from NI\Ulster, Ulster Rangers and Belfast Celtic; Prince Wanderers and Owen and Glendower United from Wales 😎😎😎😎

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

In the shorter term: what happens if the 14 refuse to play the 6 for the rest of this season? Do the 6 need an Entertainment Licence and other stuff if they don't have crowds?

Remember BJ practically paid WHam to use the Olympic Stadium, so knows all about level playing fields....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 16:28 Hmmmmm a real UK thing.... It would need 2 from NI\Ulster, Ulster Rangers and Belfast Celtic; Prince Wanderers and Owen and Glendower United from Wales 😎😎😎😎
They won’t be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions then? (Or even The New Saints...)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Where in Wales are TNS?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”