To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2020-21

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2020-21

Post by forestfan »

Well, unfortunately it had to happen given there were no signs of things turning around.

Hughton is a sensible choice though I’d have gone for Howe as first choice - didn’t want another overseas gamble unless we could have pulled off a Bielsa-style coup for an eye-catching name. But we’ve gone down the common sense route, let’s hope he can turn things around and maybe even last out a full year. Welcome aboard, Gus Fring ;)

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

My Barnsley expectation has dropped dramatically. Struber was their hope. Lack of backing from the 'how much?' Barnsley board looks like a big mistake.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Top of the League, you're having a laugh! Reading are top after 6 games, currently undefeated and with 5 cleansheets from those six. We're even winning home games this season! Quite impressive after appointing a new, random manager just before the start of the season and with a couple of stalwarts out with long term injuries. Couple that with clearing out a lot of out of contract players and only bringing in a handful of replacements (3 loan, 2 permanent) it had been a great start. Team spirit is apparently at an all time high at the moment so long may it continue.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

pretty quiet along the A52, Clough Corridor. The Rooney 'watch saga' could be a prelude to changes at Pride Park but have had an invitation to a Zoom inspired cream tea next month. You have to collect it yourself though.
And as for the home town team Wycombe........... div one beckons already !

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

El Cloughico looks like being El Crapico on this occasion, with both sides in the bottom five... at least we’re in a new manager bounce of sorts, while Rooney is still absent through self-isolating. If Derby lose then Phil Cockup could be following Sabri to the job centre (the recently departed Forest boss has already got a new position in Qatar, so they won’t be competing!)

Will Wycombe get a point? Resorting to 38-year-old “Beast” Akinfenwa in the Championship suggests an element of desperation already...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

forestfan wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 09:52 Will Wycombe get a point? Resorting to 38-year-old “Beast” Akinfenwa in the Championship suggests an element of desperation already...
I watched the match yesterday where Wycombe played Reading and Akinfenwa came on in the second half - he's very big now and I don't remember him doing anything of note while he was on. Gareth Ainsworth was a one-man-away-end though and is very passionate about the game, he was often out of his technical area kicking balls back and bellowing at his players (in a nice way I'm sure!) As a team they are not very good at shooting but set up to frustrate the opposition and could have snuck a point for a nil-nil draw.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s tough for them but I guess they don’t want to over-extend themselves financially, particularly in these circumstances. Yeovil made the Championship for a season then sunk without trace. Burton just about held their own (they stayed up and finished above us one season!) but are now drifting downwards, particularly now Nigel has gone. Obviously it should be an adventure, playing all these big clubs, but without crowds they will lose some of that aspect as well.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 08:24 Top of the League, you're having a laugh! Reading are top after 6 games, currently undefeated and with 5 cleansheets from those six. We're even winning home games this season! Quite impressive after appointing a new, random manager just before the start of the season and with a couple of stalwarts out with long term injuries. Couple that with clearing out a lot of out of contract players and only bringing in a handful of replacements (3 loan, 2 permanent) it had been a great start. Team spirit is apparently at an all time high at the moment so long may it continue.
Yep, still pinching myself / waiting for the bubble to burst... but 6 games is already a decent number to start to draw some conclusions on... so maybe we are actually not a bad team after all? :D

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I've just seen that Huddersfield goal that downed Derby. Bielsa Mark 2. Corberan is spreading the word.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Forest and Derby face each other in the Championship for a 13th straight season. They are the joint longest serving members of the Championship, having joined the division from opposite directions in 2008, and only Morecambe in League 2 have been in their current EFL division for longer.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 18:50 Forest and Derby face each other in the Championship for a 13th straight season. They are the joint longest serving members of the Championship, having joined the division from opposite directions in 2008, and only Morecambe in League 2 have been in their current EFL division for longer.
You need relegation 😂😂😂

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

What is happening? Reading are 7 points clear. This isn't the Championship.

Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else
Highest FPL Finish 3502 2006/07 back when no one else played

Post by Tony Towners Tache »

The Millers are looking surprisingly good this time around but we are still getting beaten. We cannot convert our chances and it only takes a moment of quality to concede. We appear to be particularly vulnerable to an injury time equaliser or worse defeat. Recipe for another relegation battle at this level, hopefully there are three worse than us. Wednesday match tonight is a big one. On the whole though we have not had a boring season at the NYS since it was opened happy with the continued bounce, league one is more fun and it is good to win a few, championship is great for quality but a hell of a struggle to survive.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 10:04 What is happening? Reading are 7 points clear. This isn't the Championship.
Just wanting to join your lot and make the Premier League a Reading and Leeds Festival...

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

forestfan wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 11:29
jimmy ching wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 10:04 What is happening? Reading are 7 points clear. This isn't the Championship.
Just wanting to join your lot and make the Premier League a Reading and Leeds Festival...
:lol:

..and @jimmy... your guess is as good as mine! Most Royals fans are currently pinching themselves and, after 7 games, beginning to believe that maybe, just maybe, we are actually quite good. Either way, massive kudos due to the new manager for the results to date, with a squad that on paper looks no stronger than last year. He just seems to be getting the best out of several players.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Swans were good last night. Stoke didn’t get a shot on goal. Stronger squad this year but short of a top striker.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

and the Rams got a point too ! The Clough Way will not feature in the upper reaches of the Championship for sure, but will the Chairboys get to 10 ?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Tony Towners Tache wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 10:22 The Millers are looking surprisingly good this time around but we are still getting beaten. We cannot convert our chances and it only takes a moment of quality to concede. We appear to be particularly vulnerable to an injury time equaliser or worse defeat. Recipe for another relegation battle at this level, hopefully there are three worse than us. Wednesday match tonight is a big one. On the whole though we have not had a boring season at the NYS since it was opened happy with the continued bounce, league one is more fun and it is good to win a few, championship is great for quality but a hell of a struggle to survive.
To judge by last night there’s only one South Yorks side I a relegation scrap and it’s not Rotherham. I didn’t watch it but all the Owls fan chatter I saw was scathing about Monk and Dawson in particular

Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else
Highest FPL Finish 3502 2006/07 back when no one else played

Post by Tony Towners Tache »

Smurphy's Paw, yep a good night to be a Miller not our best performance by a long way but Wednesday were truly woeful. Looks they have defensive problems on top of what appeared to be a general lack of interest by most of their team. Wycombe fans will be licking their lips for a first win on Saturday.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Sorry Reading fans, don't send me to Coventry.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 20:18 Sorry Reading fans, don't send me to Coventry.
Nobody’s being sent to Coventry right now, as they don’t have a ground there...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

If there is a rumoured national lockdown next week, will the Championship make the cut? I suspect it will continue alongside the PL as the value of TV rights is material, and a month off at this stage would in all probability mean the abandonment of the season and no matches until August 2021. Not sure if the lower professional leagues will be so lucky, though.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:32
jimmy ching wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 20:18 Sorry Reading fans, don't send me to Coventry.
Is Cov as bad as Ipswich?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:44 If there is a rumoured national lockdown next week, will the Championship make the cut? I suspect it will continue alongside the PL as the value of TV rights is material, and a month off at this stage would in all probability mean the abandonment of the season and no matches until August 2021. Not sure if the lower professional leagues will be so lucky, though.
Are they thinking of 4 weeks rather than 2?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:01
forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:32
Is Cov as bad as Ipswich?
No idea, I’ve never been to Ipswich...

The Ricoh is OK as far as identikit modern stadiums go, but is a rugby ground for the foreseeable future. Though why they still have to play in Birmingham when there are no fans anyway is questionable, when there must be a semi-pro football or rugby ground closer to home that they could use.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:02
forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:44 If there is a rumoured national lockdown next week, will the Championship make the cut? I suspect it will continue alongside the PL as the value of TV rights is material, and a month off at this stage would in all probability mean the abandonment of the season and no matches until August 2021. Not sure if the lower professional leagues will be so lucky, though.
Sounds like it, slowness to act has seemingly forced more drastic measures, though debate on that is for another forum...

No suggestions on potential impact on professional sport yet, anyway.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:08
Sounds like it, slowness to act has seemingly forced more drastic measures, though debate on that is for another forum...

That one is rotten....

My guess is that BJ would want it over before Xmas, so not long to start it if 4 weeks?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:11
forestfan wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:08

That one is rotten....

My guess is that BJ would want it over before Xmas, so not long to start it if 4 weeks?
Media is reporting announcement on Monday. Though wouldn’t rule out a few weeks of pissing about over loose change before the actual implementation :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Nah Friday as per Blow Job and Xmas...

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

after 9 games the bottom 4 are Wednesday, Wycombe, Rams and Forest. With the Chairboys beating the Owls yesterday there is an 8 point gap between 23rd and 24th. Which 3 will be at the bottom on FA Cup 3rd round day in January ?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”