To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Klopp fielding the U23s (FA Cup replay)

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Klopp fielding the U23s (FA Cup replay)

Post by Zimmerman »

The FA (or was it the Premier League) issued guidance that clubs should not arrange matches during the forthcoming 'winter break'.
However, it appears that someone forgot to consider FA Cup replays.

Klopp seems to have taken it upon himself to boycott the replay by promising to field the U23s (the same lot that lost 5-0 to Villa).

Personally i have no issue with him fielding a weakened team... even the kids. But he has also said, he won't be managing the side; that seems a step too far to me.

There are plenty of arguments about respect and undervaluing the cup etc. but it doesn't sit quite right that he isn't going to be there.
Can only assume he has a holiday booked.

Assuming they won't be away for the full two weeks (maybe a week) - it could be considered significant if his break is now 3-4 days shorter (if he had to hang around for the replay).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Klopp fielding the U23s (FA Cup replay)

Post by Zimmerman »

Personally - I think he should field a few of the players that featured yesterday (namely Lovren, Matip, Fabinho and Origi) - a lot of the others would presumably be part of the U23 squad anyway.

Ultimately, those first teamers are returning from injury and/or were just plain shite; so they need more game time. They are unlikely (or shouldnt be) featuring too much in the next 2 games, so they are in massive need of game time based on Sunday's showing.

The only downside is that it perhaps causes a bit of unrest/upset in the camp. Im sure they have probably all planned holidays. So a) to have that cancelled b) see most of your mates get the week off whilst you don't will rub salt in the wound.

So I can sort of see that angle; but I still think Klopp should be in charge.

This could well galvanise the group (bit of siege mentality never does any harm), but it does bring undue attention and criticism.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

He needs a rest etc too.

They shouldn't issue the dictat re rests and then arrange matches in it!

The AFCoN thing was bad enough, but the WC could get crazy and Euro football generates the cash?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 21:12 Personally - I think he should field a few of the players that featured yesterday (namely Lovren, Matip, Fabinho and Origi) - a lot of the others would presumably be part of the U23 squad anyway.

Ultimately, those first teamers are returning from injury and/or were just plain shite; so they need more game time. They are unlikely (or shouldnt be) featuring too much in the next 2 games, so they are in massive need of game time based on Sunday's showing.

The only downside is that it perhaps causes a bit of unrest/upset in the camp. Im sure they have probably all planned holidays. So a) to have that cancelled b) see most of your mates get the week off whilst you don't will rub salt in the wound.

So I can sort of see that angle; but I still think Klopp should be in charge.

This could well galvanise the group (bit of siege mentality never does any harm), but it does bring undue attention and criticism.
Nah, he should go and get some winter sun like the FA said....

When is a winter break not a winter break? When you draw in the 4th Round of the FAC Cup.....

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If I was Matip or Lovren I'd be banging on the door asking to play after yesterday's rusty showing.

Same for Milner, Lallana and Shaqiri if fit by then plus all the "first team squad" kids like Curtis Jones.

None of the above need a break.

Reduce the league to 18 teams and it is all sorted.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Just cut out a dozen meaningless International friendlies that are a eff waste of space.

Every couple of weeks from Aug till November there seems to be a 2week break for crap internationals.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Zimmerman wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 21:07 The FA (or was it the Premier League) issued guidance that clubs should not arrange matches during the forthcoming 'winter break'.
However, it appears that someone forgot to consider FA Cup replays.If
The fault lies with the FA. They should have pointed out when the Premier League first announced that clubs should not play games during the winter break that they considered that Cup replays should be allowed. Having failed to do this they should have not undermined the winter break.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Striker wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 01:19
Zimmerman wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 21:07 The FA (or was it the Premier League) issued guidance that clubs should not arrange matches during the forthcoming 'winter break'.
However, it appears that someone forgot to consider FA Cup replays.If
The fault lies with the FA. They should have pointed out when the Premier League first announced that clubs should not play games during the winter break that they considered that Cup replays should be allowed. Having failed to do this they should have not undermined the winter break.
I believe they did. This was the Premier League deciding on a Winter break knowing full well there could be replays during that time.

Let's not reduce the size of the PL, let's get rid of the group stages of the European cups instead. Problem solved :-)

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

Put out a stronger set of players and get the job done in the original match! Who does he think he is? I've seen no complaints like this from Newcastle, Southampton or Spurs. The league is wrapped up anyway, so maybe play some kids in league matches if he wants to give his "stars" a rest. The FA should fine him and the club (they won't and probably can't!)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

get_on_my_cocker wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 09:39 Put out a stronger set of players and get the job done in the original match! Who does he think he is? I've seen no complaints like this from Newcastle, Southampton or Spurs. The league is wrapped up anyway, so maybe play some kids in league matches if he wants to give his "stars" a rest. The FA should fine him and the club (they won't and probably can't!)
I think they have the powers to do so. One of the FA's rules is that every club shall put out a competitive team. It was successfully challenged a few years ago when a club got fined for playing a weaker team, but one that was still made up of players from the 25 strong squad.

I don't think the players Liverpool will be selecting are in their first team squad, so they could be punished.

I think it's a bit insulting, to be honest. They will still get 11 days rest instead of 14.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Just use the first team squad players that don't get that much game time like everyone else does.

You've bought these players to provide strength in depth for precisely this scenario so use them.

Adrian
Clyne
Lovren
Matip
Milner
Keita
Fabinho
Lallana
Shaquiri
Minamino
Origi

Pretty experienced XI there who could make a valid formation and not one from the U23s. Use U23s (or U18s) to supplement bench and injuries. I'm failing to see an issue to be honest.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Milner is ancient and his playing time is being managed. Fabinho is a regular, but yes to the rest at least providing a spine etc.

Origi looked well out of his depth last time with the kids :wink:

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

get_on_my_cocker wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 09:39 The league is wrapped up anyway, so maybe play some kids in league matches if he wants to give his "stars" a rest.
This is the bit I don't get. I know fans are superstitious and won't believe it until it's wrapped up, but it is over. Klopp is paid to see the bigger picture and there's a double/treble to be won.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

thebillfella wrote:Just use the first team squad players that don't get that much game time like everyone else does.

You've bought these players to provide strength in depth for precisely this scenario so use them.

Adrian
Clyne
Lovren
Matip
Milner
Keita
Fabinho
Lallana
Shaquiri
Minamino
Origi

Pretty experienced XI there who could make a valid formation and not one from the U23s. Use U23s (or U18s) to supplement bench and injuries. I'm failing to see an issue to be honest.
Not far off what I'd do but-
Clyne long term injured
Fabinho maybe not risked as first team
Origi maybe same with Mane out
Minamino has been playing solid in Austria
Shaq/Lallana/Milner maybe not fit in time
Last edited by murf on 28 Jan 2020, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I believe it was the FA, looking at player welfare, who requested the Premier League introduce a winter break in the first place.

Klopp wants the players back in training for a week and is giving them (and himself) a week off on 'holiday' first. This game would lose them half that week.

Think about it, would you like to work 10 months solid (more if summer tournaments) without any real time off??

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Don't get the fuss. Surprised Liverpool don't want to go for another trophy, but it's up to them what team they put out and whether Klopp shows up.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

murf wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 11:17
Think about it, would you like to work 10 months solid (more if summer tournaments) without any real time off??
For their wages? Snap your hand off!!!

Thing is I sit at a desk all day

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Not sure I'd use "solid" as the time adjective when working 2-3 hours per day tbh (and for info most of us work 10.8 months per year @40hrs per week and choose to pay to do extra hours playing football so as with DLIAH I wouldn't hesitate in swapping), but they can have that time by playing the 1st team squad players and then letting them go on their winter break when the starting XI returns.

Or just give 1 or 2 players a break at a time; I remember Fergie giving Schmeichel a 2 week holiday at this time of the year during the treble winning season (where the team had also started early for Champions League qualifiers straight after the World Cup).

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

I'm pretty sure they'd give up their break if it was a rearranged Champions League game against Real Madrid.

Or some Club World Cup match somewhere!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

thebillfella wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 11:52 Not sure I'd use "solid" as the time adjective when working 2-3 hours per day tbh (and for info most of us work 10.8 months per year @40hrs per week and choose to pay to do extra hours playing football so as with DLIAH I wouldn't hesitate in swapping), but they can have that time by playing the 1st team squad players and then letting them go on their winter break when the starting XI returns.

Or just give 1 or 2 players a break at a time; I remember Fergie giving Schmeichel a 2 week holiday at this time of the year during the treble winning season (where the team had also started early for Champions League qualifiers straight after the World Cup).
Ok 'solid' is the wrong word (I didn't say working 'hard' at least :wink: ) but they usually play or train 6 or 7 days a week. No real 'family time' or anything like a holiday/break from one summer to the next. Not even a bank holiday weekend.
get_on_my_cocker wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 12:15 I'm pretty sure they'd give up their break if it was a rearranged Champions League game against Real Madrid.

Or some Club World Cup match somewhere!
It almost is like that for some youngsters, the chance to play at Anfield for the first/second/third time. Even the likes of Matip and Lovren want to get sharp and impress the boss so they have a chance of being in the team when they do get to play games like Real Madrid in the CL. These guys should be ripping up their holiday tickets and banging on Klopp's door.

As I said earlier I'd play pretty much the same team as last time with no Salah/Firmino/TAAs on the bench. Give the genuine first team a week off. The first team squad can then have a week off Thurs-Weds and have some training before the next game.

The week off should pay dividends for all clubs when it matters (Cup finals / relegation deciders etc)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Don't forget that they were made to play 2 matches on the same day :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

More from Jurgen on this at today's press conference.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

If the PL have given teams a winter break, it is pretty ridiculous that they are then expected to play FA Cup replays in that window. It should have been sorted as part of the agreement.

Why at least extra time isn’t played in the early rounds to try and settle it on the day is crazy, and they could have given the teams the option to just go to penalties if both agree (e.g. all-PL ties such as Spurs and Southampton).

As long as teams aren’t playing sponsorship friendlies in the Middle East, they’ve every right to stick to their guns and not use the first team in these replays. Along with Pep’s recent comments on the cups, it does push a restructure of the domestic competitions up the agenda.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

forestfan wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:09 As long as teams aren’t playing sponsorship friendlies in the Middle East, they’ve every right to stick to their guns and not use the first team in these replays. Along with Pep’s recent comments on the cups, it does push a restructure of the domestic competitions up the agenda.
I’d agree with having a discussion about a restructure, so long as every team involved has an equal. Which will never happen.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The WC "season" is going to be fun....

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces

blahblah wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 19:23 The WC "season" is going to be fun....
The FA and Premier League will no doubt come up with some crazy plan for that.

They'll probably start the season 2 weeks before the previous one has ended, so they can take advantage of blank midweeks!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Now that's an idea 😎

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

So, LFC fans, if they go to Chelsea with 11 games left in the league and a c.20 point lead, what's an acceptable team?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Darbyand wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:49 So, LFC fans, if they go to Chelsea with 11 games left in the league and a c.20 point lead, what's an acceptable team?
Not checked the matches around it but if there is CL in midweek after then I'd expect 11 changes. If not then less.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

The cup game is midweek.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”