To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Women's World Cup

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by jacksosi »

I watched a few minutes of the 2nd half, and I can see that they have used the men’s team as a blueprint...their tactics seemed to be to give the ball away as much as possible, especially in dangerous areas!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

So, accidental handballs and keepers a millimetre off their line merit VAR reviews, but elbowing people and spitting at them don’t? :?

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Ref appeared to be running scared at the end. England were very calm unlike Cameroon.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

One thing Ladies WC has shown is that Var has to be re-thought at least as far as off side is judged, to me it it should be if any part of player is on side then its a goal, same way goal line tech works any part even if its smallest amount it counts same as if all ball did not cross line. 2 inch of a players foot being off side creates problems not solves them there has to be a clear gap before off side is called.
Watched tonight's game France Brazil surprised how good it was, by far best game have seen at this tournament

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Cameroon did a lot of harm to Women's football with their childish tantrums tonight

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

mikeg13 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 23:22 One thing Ladies WC has shown is that Var has to be re-thought at least as far as off side is judged, to me it it should be if any part of player is on side then its a goal, same way goal line tech works any part even if its smallest amount it counts same as if all ball did not cross line. 2 inch of a players foot being off side creates problems not solves them there has to be a clear gap before off side is called.
Watched tonight's game France Brazil surprised how good it was, by far best game have seen at this tournament
That goes against the ethos of the offside rule though.

That said... I am opposed it being so minimal. If it takes 10 views or angles or more than 3 seconds of looking at a still image to determine someone is a an inch offside, then there’s no clear advantage in my mind.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

It's coming home...

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

morganb wrote:they're coming home...
Nah, they have to stay out there for the 3rd place match.

Rubbish penalty.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:44
morganb wrote:they're coming home...
Nah, they have to stay out there for the 3rd place match.

Rubbish penalty.
We’re still crap at penalties as a nation, and don’t even need a shoot-out to prove it...

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

The offside rule was introduced to prevent goalhanging. The idea that Ellen White was goalhanging tonight is laughable. The offside rule needs to be rethought, along the lines that mike13 suggests. But I won't be holding my breath

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

As for the penalty miss, in that situation, under a huge amount of pressure, there's only one way to take a penalty - just wack it as hard as you can right down the middle. Houghton did almost the opposite.
But I still think she's a great defender.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Billy Whiz wrote:The offside rule was introduced to prevent goalhanging. The idea that Ellen White was goalhanging tonight is laughable. The offside rule needs to be rethought, along the lines that mike13 suggests. But I won't be holding my breath
White was 'level'.

They changed the interpretation a few years ago so that 'level' was onside. Now they are viewing replays and judging to the mm then the concept of level has gone out of the window and she was offside by half a gnat's chuff.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

On the way to Wembley today, England's Lionesses v Germany, just a friendly, 5:30 kick-off. First time at the ladies football. Bit cold and wet but quite looking forward to it. Tickets were an absolute bargain...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

86k tickets sold but only 77k turned up so only broke less important records than those hoped.

How cheap were the tickets or are the 'fans' all like Arsenal fans with more disposable income than sense?

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Women's World Cup

Post by jacksosi »

We paid £20 for purple zone club Wembley tickets, and kids for £1. Great seats (padded!) and sheltered thankfully.

Managed to see zero goals tho

Bought beers a couple of minutes before kick off, and then were not allowed to take them to the seats (the servers could have mentioned that!), so drank them in the foyer, missed goal 1.

Left at 40 mins to beat the queues for loo and beers, missed goal 2

Left at 85 mins to beat the queues for loo and tube, missed goal 3

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 21:40 86k tickets sold but only 77k turned up so only broke less important records than those hoped.

How cheap were the tickets or are the 'fans' all like Arsenal fans with more disposable income than sense?
£10 adults, £7.50 students, £1 kids. We were in row 13 fairly close to the pitch between the half way line and goal (yellow zone). Undercover thankfully. And free flags too.

It was a buoyant atmosphere - not your typical football crowd, lots of families with young children (including lots of young girls). No really complicated chants but lots of excitement and oohs whenever England crossed the halfway line!

Highlight was seeing the Ellen White's glasses celebration. Knew Parris was going to miss the penalty (she's missed quite a few recently).

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

morganb wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 22:28
murf wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 21:40 86k tickets sold but only 77k turned up so only broke less important records than those hoped.

£10 adults, £7.50 students, £1 kids. We were in row 13 fairly close to the pitch between the half way line and goal (yellow zone). Undercover thankfully. And free flags too.

It was a buoyant atmosphere - not your typical football crowd, lots of families with young children (including lots of young girls). No really complicated chants but lots of excitement and oohs whenever England crossed the halfway line!

Highlight was seeing the Ellen White's glasses celebration. Knew Parris was going to miss the penalty (she's missed quite a few recently).
That's pretty good value. I saw it had a good crowd and it was a good game apart from the result.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

A couple of records broken this weekend. Over 38000 watch the North London derby and more than 70000 watched the six WSL games in total. In addition, 23000 were at Anfield for the Merseyside derby and Chelsea v Man Utd sold out Wimbledon’s ground.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

bspittles wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 20:52 A couple of records broken this weekend. Over 38000 watch the North London derby and more than 70000 watched the six WSL games in total. In addition, 23000 were at Anfield for the Merseyside derby and Chelsea v Man Utd sold out Wimbledon’s ground.
Tickets were in general 2 bob or given away.

It's a total disjointed argument that womens football has the same appeal .
Charge the same as men's football and then let's compare the real picture.

Generally speaking see how hard it is to find the information on attendance figures in premier league games for women in general. They dont want it broadcast because in most cases its just hundreds.

It's the Kings Clothes or better known as total bollocks!

Sick to death on the push for womens football, rugby, cricket, in the last couple of years and the false argument that the female game has as much appeal as the mens.

They are giving away tickets to promote the game and then trying to justify the appeal is there.

It's plainly Not! Charge what men's football cost and you wouldn't get 500

Stick it on a level playing field ffs.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

It's a growing sport, which is why the prices are low. Men's football in the 50s and 60s was pence to attend, probably equivalent to the cost of attending a women's game.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 10:23 It's a growing sport, which is why the prices are low. Men's football in the 50s and 60s was pence to attend, probably equivalent to the cost of attending a women's game.
Not that simple. Prices are also being kept artificially low to boost attendances and attract people in who will keep coming and so develop the sport long term. No other events at Wembley would be priced that low and the usual supply and demand economics would have them playing at a smaller ground at higher prices.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

bspittles wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 20:52 A couple of records broken this weekend. Over 38000 watch the North London derby and more than 70000 watched the six WSL games in total. In addition, 23000 were at Anfield for the Merseyside derby and Chelsea v Man Utd sold out Wimbledon’s ground.
So 61k at the two premier league grounds... 9k across the other four matches?

Like the Wembley post above; how many are going to see the stadium rather than what’s on the pitch?

Ultimately it’s driving interest and some will stick. Even if 1% get the bug for it.

As for Dots argument... it’s not a competition. I don’t think anybody is arguing that it’s on a par with the men’s game (are they)?

That said, I did internally chuckle at someone hinting that the England ladies could/should get equal pay to the men’s team (like Australia recently announced). I’m not sure how much players get for representing England (didn’t think it was anything to be honest)... but it is deluded to suggest they should be equal.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Make the goals smaller (hardly any GK's can touch the crossbar and there seems to be some pride thing re hitting high shots) and the pitches smaller so being able to kick a long way isn't a skill and I might be interested.

The above might stop it looking like U15 level...

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

bspittles wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 10:23 It's a growing sport, which is why the prices are low. Men's football in the 50s and 60s was pence to attend, probably equivalent to the cost of attending a women's game.

Rite lets put some perspective on this shit..

I've trawled around to find the attendances on the women's games this weekend. It's taken some time but here we go

Generally speaking you buy a eff season ticket to womens games for less than the cost of a single men's game ffs.

Arsenal v Liverpool 2000
Man United v Brighton 1700
WHU v Reading 1400
Bristol city V man city 1200
Birmingham v Chelsea 1150
Leicster v Coventry 500
Blackburn v Palace 230
Everton v spurs 150 yes a Humongous 150

a grand total of around 8,300 at diddly squat prices (under 16s and oap's are less than 3 quid or free.

the 8 premiership men's games on Saturday generated more than 300,000 supporters at ridiculously expensive prices on the whole, but that figure might be a few thousand lower as we know the emirates attendance is always full of shit and inflated by several thousand - minimum. Soton even seemed to have a bigger portion of supporters at the away end .

why are the media in general pushing a complete fallacy.

the women's game will never be as big as the men's game in Football, cricket, rugby, so stop pushing this eff myth as it aint ever going to get there.

as I say put it on a level playing field and the women's game wouldn't even exist.

whilst your at it get rid of the ever growing influx of women presenters in the men's game, your out of your depth, you generally talk shite, and you bore the pants off me.

women stick to your game and men can stick to ours.

England women you want some advice, sack Phil Neville. Just because he's an old woman doesn't mean he's a natural fit. Stick a proper woman in charge.

Media stop the propaganda/fake news. Women's football is boring as eff.

rant over

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

You make the same mistake that many others make; comparing the Women’s game with the Mens’s. Same laws, different sport.

Women’s football is growing, no doubt about it. Stop comparing and start enjoying :-)

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

bspittles wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 07:29 You make the same mistake that many others make; comparing the Women’s game with the Mens’s. Same laws, different sport.

Women’s football is growing, no doubt about it. Stop comparing and start enjoying :-)
How can I enjoy a product that is shite! :?

That is my argument!

Stick to their own game and stop pushing it down my throat with the argument it justifies more exposure. It's crap, go away, I couldn't even name you one bloody woman player.

Stop thinking it politically correct to shove more woman into the mens game being in commentary and punditry.

It's a massive turn off

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

And yet you've now replied three times in a topic on women's football :-)

Don't like it? Don't read it! (for the same reason I don't read topics on golf or rugby)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

As spittles says.... just move on.

Who is forcing you to enjoy it?
Who is forcing you to watch it?

I don’t watch ballet, or soaps, or reality tv or 10000001 other things. And guess what, I don’t have to. It’s an amazing system really. If you like it, do it. If you don’t, dont.

What is the agenda that is being pushed?

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Zimmerman wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 17:42 As spittles says.... just move on.

Who is forcing you to enjoy it?
Who is forcing you to watch it?

I don’t watch ballet, or soaps, or reality tv or 10000001 other things. And guess what, I don’t have to. It’s an amazing system really. If you like it, do it. If you don’t, dont.

What is the agenda that is being pushed?
Every bloody live game I watch on Sky seems to have a woman on the panel, or the BBC , with more and more women covering games at grounds.

There is an agenda going on and it's getting on my eff tits. It seems to be PC to be seen to do so.

Just eff off and leave the mens game to men is my point and stop spouting total bollocks tgat the women's game have an appeal.

They eff dont.

My Sky sub won't be getting re-newed because of it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

You seem to be confusing two things;

A) women pundits for men’s game
B) women’s football

The two are not linked.

Do you have any issue with men commentating on women’s tennis?

Or men commentating on women’s football?
Or men managing women’s teams?
Or women being bank managers?
Or women being journalists?
Women being allowed out of the kitchen?

There are loads of really really shit male pundits. I don’t differentiate between the sexes. If they are good, they are good. If they are shit, they are shit.

As long as they are NOT Jamie Redknapp, Paul Merson, Andy Townsend, Jim Beglin, Alan Smith, Stuart Pearce, Danny Murphy then that’s definitely a plus point in my eyes.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”