To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by jimmy ching »

Maldini wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 12:46
theo29 wrote:The Paddy Power 'spoof' shirts look like getting Huddersfield into the FA bad books whilst their top player moves up to the Prem with Brighton. A win at the Bush would be very welcome.
Typical FA c*ntery.

The sale of them on eBay has raised tens of thousands of pounds for local charities.
They should match them pound for pound in donations.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Malrom wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 14:34
nffc wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 12:43 Dirty bloody Leeds again.

6 minutes in and they are trying to dive for a penalty against us already. :twisted: :twisted:

Should have been a yellow card
What is your problem?
The ref was always on your side for the whole 90 minutes......
Be happy for that gift called a draw
You are joking aren't you?

Leeds should have been down to 10 men in the first half but the ref bottled that too.

My comment was more here we go again, trying to deceive the ref again within 6 minutes, after we were cheated last time at Elland Road.

Wether or not Leeds reputation of being dirty cheats for the last 50 years is justified I don't know but that's how I see Leeds and will continue to do so :P

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

Yorkshire leads after matchday 2 but it is Wednesday not Leeds with consensus basement dwellers Charlton just behind them. Suspect we will hear some other comment about Leeds and Forest in the next day or two.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

theo29 wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 18:47 Yorkshire leads after matchday 2 but it is Wednesday not Leeds with consensus basement dwellers Charlton just behind them. Suspect we will hear some other comment about Leeds and Forest in the next day or two.
Lee Bowyer doing a decent job at Charlton

No team really standing out yet though.

wiseowl65
FISOhead

Post by wiseowl65 »

bluenosey wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 21:18
theo29 wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 18:47 Yorkshire leads after matchday 2 but it is Wednesday not Leeds with consensus basement dwellers Charlton just behind them. Suspect we will hear some other comment about Leeds and Forest in the next day or two.
Lee Bowyer doing a decent job at Charlton

No team really standing out yet though.
The other Lee isn't doing to badly either :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 98

It was raining yesterday at Elland Road. It was raining missed opportunities. Those opportunities were mostly half baked. Bamford seemed to be receiving all the balls in a frantic situation. The bar and just the wrong side of the uprights excuses are slowly turning in to stone.
Same old same as. Creating the chances and not making them count. Bamford is living on borrowed time. It doesn’t look like Patrick is bridging the difference. His concentration on physical activity is proving to be detrimental to his accuracy. I sense the wild card of Nketiah will be played sooner rather than later.
Forest were strangers to themselves in the first half. Their defence were having to put a shift in. Muric stood up to what was asked of him.
The ref had English football eyes. A challenge is a challenge and ‘You shouldn’t have put your leg there’ decisions were to be had. Grabban was a grabbing, Phillips was a scything. It was still raining.
Then Hernandez got his chance. If only Bamford could take them like Pablo. 1-0.
Cruise control.
Whoops, you forgot to put the clutch in.
A grubby Grabban goal was taken amongst the clunking.
Costa was brought on to take us back up the gears. He’s fast. He became the victim of the challenge is a challenge philosophy, twice. Expect much more of that across the season.
Overall a frustrating game.
What have I learnt?
Forest have gained belief, Leeds have created a slight doubt.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

in the opening round of the Carabao Cup there are just 3 head to Championship head games. Wigan v Stoke. QPR v Bristol City and WBA v Millwall.
It is probable that some of the others may fall against lower league opponents, possibly in penalty shoot-outs.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

And Bury still haven't played. Really feel for them but how long can it go to on ?

I'm sure Jimmy will be happy with the win over Salford and the Class of 92.

Also MK Dons will be overjoyed with their win tonight against their former selves.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, another game postponed for Bury. Seemingly a takeover bid is in the pipeline but as you say, how long can the league let it go on, it’s going to cause serious issues with a backlog of fixtures.

The Football League needs to do something about this sort of situation (and the Bolton one which also threatens to blow up again), perhaps the League needs to have part ownership of all its clubs or something.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 99

I met my love,
By the Moor Lane wall.
Dreamed a dream,
By the old canal.
I watched my team,
In the Wooden Spoon End.

Dirty old Leeds,
Dirty old Leeds.

Fans are singing,
Across the leagues.
Teams are foulling,
on their beat.
Springs our boys,
From the wings all night.

Dirty old Leeds,
Dirty old Leeds.

We sang a song,
Across the docks.
Saw an Ed,
Set the night on fire.
Smelled the spring,
Down the Salford wing.

Dirty old Leeds,
Dirty old Leeds.

I'm going make,
Me a good hard game;
Shining steel,
Berardi in,
the Fire.
I'll chop you down,
Like an old dead tree.

Dirty old Leeds,
Dirty old Leeds.

Result. Salford 0 Leeds 3.
Nketiah, Berardi, Klich.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

could it be that the managerless Sheffield Wed head the table after Saturday's 11 game fixtures ? They and Charlton are the only 6 pointers after 2 games. Leeds are at Wigan and Rams at Stoke. A full mid week programme coming up too so the table after the 24th will have changed a good deal.

What price a Huddersfield win in the near future ? Sol Campbell to join Wednesday, wisowl ?

wiseowl65
FISOhead

Post by wiseowl65 »

theo29 wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 14:58 could it be that the managerless Sheffield Wed head the table after Saturday's 11 game fixtures ? They and Charlton are the only 6 pointers after 2 games. Leeds are at Wigan and Rams at Stoke. A full mid week programme coming up too so the table after the 24th will have changed a good deal.

What price a Huddersfield win in the near future ? Sol Campbell to join Wednesday, wisowl ?

Hope not its Bullen's job to lose currently but things can change very quickly in football Millwall away will be tough for us tomorrow.I don't think Campbell is the right fit for us it will be disappointing from a fans perspective if Campbell gets the gig.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Another Yorkshire club is with out a manager. The panic has reached board level where they've hit the reject button. It looks like Huddersfield have an unpredictable season ahead. The Championship can be brutal.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

jimmy ching wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 09:26 Another Yorkshire club is with out a manager. The panic has reached board level where they've hit the reject button. It looks like Huddersfield have an unpredictable season ahead. The Championship can be brutal.
Fired after two games. Ridiculous, give the guy a chance. You're right Jimmy, doesn't bode well for the Terriers.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 09:35
jimmy ching wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 09:26 Another Yorkshire club is with out a manager. The panic has reached board level where they've hit the reject button. It looks like Huddersfield have an unpredictable season ahead. The Championship can be brutal.
Fired after two games. Ridiculous, give the guy a chance. You're right Jimmy, doesn't bode well for the Terriers.
Seemed a rushed gamble when they took him on, given they were effectively already down they could have kept a caretaker until the summer then reassessed. Hadn’t realised they hadn’t won in any competition since February though, that’s Derby 2008 stuff :shock:

The Mooy deal was a baffling one as well, will please the accountants but not help the footballing side of things. Will they take another punt on a young coach from Europe, or change direction and go for a British veteran to turn their fortunes around?

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by Maldini »

Siewert was given an almost impossible job when he took over and then the new chairman decided to make it totally impossible by selling/loaning out a lot of our better players and not reinvesting anything in the squad (a loan signing and a couple of has beens).

Feel really sorry for the guy because he’s a very highly rated coach and seemed a decent bloke.

The next guy in will have the same poor squad with very little creativity and zero confidence. Good luck to them.

Talk of Chris Hughton but he’s got more sense.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 100.

The centenary is here. It’s a special time. My local village club is entering it’s 100th year. Formed by a Corsican who had arrived in the region. Rumour has it, they played in blue bow ties. Hence, they became known as the Papillons Bleues. They have had their ups and downs but have never grown above their station. I have fond memories of them winning the County Cup in underdog style. Definitely, a centenary to celebrate.
A hundred years ago, Herbert Chapman was in Leeds desperately trying to get a team together to replace Leeds City, who had been disbanded by the Football League. United were being born. The first team Leeds will play when they are 100 will be the Blues from Birmingham. That’s in October. In typical modern marketing times, Leeds will be wearing a special kit just for this match. It’s a kind of a birthday suit. We don’t know what it’ll be but what I do know their first kit was like Newcastle’s. Food for thought. It wasn’t long afterwards, they were wearing Huddersfield colours. No doubt, pass me downs. I wouldn’t put it past them if they came running out in blue and gold stripes.
Professionalism is required, just like their performance today.
After last seasons Good Friday meeting that crucified Leeds hope of promotion, Wigan used the same tactic and got a man sent off. Williams had no excuse, it was his second bookable offence.
Leeds then went on to win ugly.
Bamford was under pressure. He must have seen Nketiah scoring on Tuesday and figured, ‘Wow, that’s where you must stand to score’. So putting this insight in to practice, he stood where Nketiah did and waited for Forshaw to head against the post and carefully, so carefully put the rebound in.
1-0.
Leeds kept the pressing up. Another half hearted penalty claim was rewarded with a corner, to the derision of the Leeds fans behind the goal. This time Bamford was on the opposite side of the goal and somehow stomached it and managed to make it cross the line. 2-0.
These two ugglies have provided Patrick with the long awaited self belief which is so important to a forward. He’s starting to knock on Wood. 3 goals, 3 games.
Another fine performance by the other ex Middlesbrough player Forshaw. His start to the season is well beyond what we had from him last year. Woodgate, the Boro manager must be looking on and wishing he had them both back at the Riverside.
Costa had another late sub appearance and Jamie Shacks played a couple of minutes.
Marcelo’s pecking order seems to be take your chance when you get it.
Brentford arrive in Leeds on Wednesday, expect the same side.
It’s a pleasant feeling to bring you my 100th write up of Marcelo’s time at Leeds with the Bielsabub Babes sitting top of the table. I don’t know about you but he’s made following the Whites much more than just football. Long may he continue.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

a Sunday morning treat to read JC's Beelzebub (sic) piece. He will keep this thread going throughout the season especially if Leeds keep the top spot. The mention of Herbert Chapman and Huddersfield 100 years ago took me to his Wiki entry and his Arsenal career.
Today just the one remaining game in matchday 3. The Warnock Welsh City v the so far Reading Royals. Scoring draw perhaps ?

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

theo29 wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:52Today just the one remaining game in matchday 3. The Warnock Welsh City v the so far Reading Royals. Scoring draw perhaps ?
Nah, turned out to be a comfortable win for the mighty Royals... 3-0 and missed a penalty too :shock:

The victory was all the sweeter as it was against a team managed by our mate Colin, the single most unpleasant person in football (never has anyone merited their nickname more!).

It’s fair to say that, with the team bolstered by a flurry of last minute quality signings in the transfer window, things down at the Madstad are looking a lot brighter than they were just a few weeks ago :D

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Hogmeister wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 18:21
theo29 wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:52Today just the one remaining game in matchday 3. The Warnock Welsh City v the so far Reading Royals. Scoring draw perhaps ?
Nah, turned out to be a comfortable win for the mighty Royals... 3-0 and missed a penalty too :shock:

The victory was all the sweeter as it was against a team managed by our mate Colin, the single most unpleasant person in football (never has anyone merited their nickname more!).

It’s fair to say that, with the team bolstered by a flurry of last minute quality signings in the transfer window, things down at the Madstad are looking a lot brighter than they were just a few weeks ago :D
Don't know if you believe in omens but just after midnight last night the strains of Sweet Caroline were ringing out from the karaoke bar across the bay from us in Corfu. We had a inclination we would win today :D

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 101

Leeds vs Brentford.

Let’s be Frank. This is the real Frank that taught Marcelo a lesson last season. I’d choose to send the other Frank, aka Mumphard to the room 101. The Dane stepped in to Dean Smiths shoes and set up camp. A Viking one at that. Some Danes had arrived before him but during the summer he sent for reinforcements from the foreign leagues. This is his own season now.
Marcelo will be desperate to get off the mark against the man who allowed the Blades to sink in to the soul of the Whites promotional ambitions. Bielsa felt the same about Wigan. His players have responded. No doubt they will be up for their second revenge mission of the season.
One man has swapped allegiances though. He’s another Viking but of Swedish origin. His self appointed leadership and glorification made his stay at Leeds a difficult one. Will the Danish Vikings like this trait? Only time will tell if Pontus learns to take his own team responsibilities.
By Wednesday, the Sheffield one could be top or it might even be Derby. This will give us another target of a return to the top.
The stadium will be sold out again. The expectations will be high.
The Knostrop, Thorpe and Whitkirk Whites will be demanding a win at all costs.
Thousands of fans from the surrounding Ridings will be arriving in Hunslet, based in the Morley Wapentake, to watch the battle.
But please don’t allow overmod and chutzpah lead to the rape and pillage of the points.
You have been warned.
Prediction. Leeds 1 Brentford 0

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

THE CONSENSUS. forestfan has tabulated the 11 forecasts of the finish order and each time a team gets a mention on this thread their expected place in the order will include a number from 1 to 24. So jc's fire and brimstone message merits Leeds (2) Brentford (12)
A selection of others. Forest (10) Sheffield Wed (13) Reading (18) Derby (5) Huddersfield (8) Middlesbrough (7) Birmingham (16)
Currently Millwall (23) are 5th, Charlton (24) are 2nd. Stoke (6) are 24th ! Almost forgot Fulham (1) are 7th.

Full progamme this week, Caraboa Cup next week.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 102

I did not enjoy that. It made me feel rather uncomfortable. Maybe I was viewing the game through hyper-critical eyes. In the first 20 minutes Brentford had the cheek to come and try and play their football and they did. At the end of the game I viewed the possession stats and wondered what game I’d been watching. Leeds had the 70% but hardly any were in the final third. Both teams were struggling to find clear cut chances. This was a game of two points gained.
The two that won it for the Whites were the two speed merchants who came on as subs. The Salford goal was repeated. Pass down the wing to Costa, cross in to Nketiah who’s standing in the same place, all by himself. 1-0. Just 4 minutes in to his home debut, in front of the Kop, he delivered his promise.
So far this season Leeds are two points up on the teams they’ve played in comparison to last year.
Another score to settle comes Saturday. Our bogey side Stoke, will be looking for a 2-1 repeat of the last time they met. It’s one of those games where the top plays the bottom and we all know what that means in the Championship. It is also a double header as they are due to play at Elland Road in the Cup on Tuesday. Expect two different teams to turn out.
Prediction Stoke 1 Leeds 1.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 103.

Keeping up with the Jones’s. That was the aim of the day. Marcelo doesn’t like being outsmarted. He’d let his side down last season, losing to Nathan. Marcelo is not just playing the team, he’s playing the manager. Most might agree his biggest scalp so far is Sir Alex, I reckon even to himself.
There are people turning up at Elland Road from Argentina, Chile, Bilbao, Marseilles but note not many from Lille,……. yet. He has a devoted following, just like the Cloughies in the old days. Brian had it just like Marcelo does. Brian always listened to the fans and it wasn’t from the chants on the touchline. It was an understanding that not everybody can afford a ticket for a big game and football is a social game. Two quirky managers that have an attraction of being open with their obsessions.
With the Spygate Saga, Bielsa opened up his tool box. Some mocked, some liked his obsession, others went with his honesty. His files on everybody or anything that can affect the desired result. This man has an obsession that he puts to good use.
His file on Mr Jones now reads 1-1. Tuesday he’ll be trying to pull away from the Jones’s.
Stoke showed all what they could manage in the first half hour. It was quite uneventful from both sides.
Then the move started. This was a Bielsaball goal. Crisp one touch passing, Hernandez doing the killer one for Dallas to run on to and sweep home with an instinctive first time shot. 1-0.
That was it. It was over.
Within minutes of the second half, Bamford was setting up Allioski to sweep home the second. 2-0.
It was a procession. The Whites were comfortably passing the ball around with out their normal urgency. A game of chasing shadows for the Potters.
Bamford made it 4 from 5 on the rebound from Allioskis shot. 3-0.
Costa had another cameo, forcing a save from the Butland replacement. Nketiah came on for the final 15, in vain hope of matching another Frank, who was the last Leeds player to score in their first three games. Shackleton got another 5 minutes.
It was a cruise overall.
It looks like Stoke are going to pot.
Last edited by jimmy ching on 25 Aug 2019, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Repeat of the 2017 play-off final today, Huddersfield v Reading. Huddersfield won the first hour by all accounts but Reading won the match 2-0.

I think there were only two players who played in that final in the team for Reading today (Moore and Swift).

Charlton, the surprise package so far, up next in the league.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

although not a league event, Rams venture along BC Way for this Carabao Cup game v Forest, who look like having the edge at this early stage of the season based on their respective Championship positions. But who knows, so how about a penalty shoot-out to decide who gets to round 3 ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 104

Leeds at Stoke, Stokes at Leeds then Stoke at Leeds . A strange few days.
One of my Nieces went to her first cricket match on Sunday. What more can I say?
One of my Nephews was at the match last night. He noted that the atmosphere at Elland Road is beyond what he’s experienced before. Bielsa is creating a new hullabaloo, more vociferous, more supportive than ever.
30,000 turned up to watch what they knew was a second team in a second rate cup competition. How does Bielsa do it?
I didn’t get to see the match but heard it on the radio. I could see from the line up, Phillips was played at centre back. As I’ve said before, Phillips doesn’t have the height to compete in this position. As an emergency, that’s fine but when you have other choices at your disposal it doesn’t seem a wise decision. Hopefully lessons will be learnt.
2-0 down at half time Marcelo got his wake up call. He brought White on and moved Phillips back to his normal position. Hey presto, it worked.
In the end Leeds went out to a Stoke born penalty miss from Harrison. What was even stranger was the Leeds fans chanting his name, underlining their full support for the team through the thick and thin.
Just like last season, Leeds have exited in the second round. I’m happy with that and relieved we don’t get too much fixture congestion or build up of injuries and yellow cards. This cup competition is a stepping stone to bigger things. It was the first trophy Leeds won and they built on it. Leicester did the same. Middlesbrough and Stoke have still to progress from their League Cup wins. It’s a progression marker and once won, it’s let’s move on to bigger things.
All the best to Stoke on their progress.
Now it’s back to the league. Marcelo will have the 10th of April marked down in his diary for keeping up with the Jones’s. It reads 2-1 to Nathan.
Swansea arrive on Saturday for the first top of the table clash of the season. It should be rocking. Both teams rely on the youth factor and should be a match full of future potential.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

jimmy ching wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 12:03 Bielsabub Babes 104

30,000 turned up to watch what they knew was a second team in a second rate cup competition. How does Bielsa do it?
Bloody impressive that, although as an aside, what the frig has happened to Jack Butland ? He was so good a few years back and now looks totally devoid of confidence and shot to pieces.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

bluenosey wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 12:41
jimmy ching wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 12:03 Bielsabub Babes 104

Bloody impressive that, although as an aside, what the frig has happened to Jack Butland ? He was so good a few years back and now looks totally devoid of confidence and shot to pieces.
Even though he scored a penalty, it was one of his blunders that allowed Nketiah to get Leeds back in to the match. No doubt, he will be forgiven but it's another error that will eat in to his confidence.

...............and they value him at 25m :shock:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

we have a Friday nighter featuring 2 of the Prem drop-outs. How is our Consensometer shaping up ? Fulham rated first are currently 5th and the Warnock Welsh rated 4th are down at 14th. This is the 6th match, just another 40 to go. Almost spot on at the moment Birmingham rated 16th are 15th. Barnsley rated 20th are 21st and Wigan rated 21st are 22nd.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”