To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by blahblah »

Malrom wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 21:27
Surprised wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 22:17
blahblah wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 01:01 Allan Clarke.
He and Norman Hunter were my favourite players as a child
Good boy! :D :D
Far from being a fan, but Bremner was the other one I really rated, and Harvey to far less an extent...

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

blahblah wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 21:34
Malrom wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 21:27
Good boy! :D :D
Far from being a fan, but Bremner was the other one I really rated, and Harvey to far less an extent...
Yes, there were all very special, at least to me! :D :D

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52244115

Norman now in hospital with the virus...... :shock: :shock:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Malrom wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 22:37

Given his age it won't end well.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Surprised wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 13:59
Malrom wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 22:37

Given his age it won't end well.
Let's hope for the best!

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

all gone very quiet in the 'would be division' but it is pay day on Thursday. How much will they all be getting ? Deferrals /agreed cuts ! WR is getting plenty of publicity over this but Mr Morris needs a good fairy to arrive very quickly.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

https://www.skysports.com/football/live ... l-day-live

Brilliant final day yesterday - who else followed the action live? Wigan were well safe at one point in the afternoon and then you had that Forest penalty miss in the 87th minute!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 147.

Cough! Cough! Cough!
Now where were we?
I’m feeling weightless with these unweighted final tables.
It’s a reset, thank goodness it’s not a re-boot. There could be something that is starting soon and it’s not going to start until next season.
Apart from the restructuring of normality, Bielsa may be back in the big time soon. If you ever needed a manager to get your local economy going again after this severe stalling, this is the man. He brings thoughtful emotions to the game and connects it to the locality. He’s a very clever man. He knows we are loyal and understands the familiarity of our histories. Is this why he chose Leeds?
Mourinho may have called himself the chosen one but Bielsa is not that type of guy. He knows it’s the others that choose them. There’s my first gauntlet.
Yes, I’m starting to dream. I could start being pessimistic but is this a real promotion feeling arriving slowly through a drip feed?
This is cruel.
Boardrooms are not a place I trust for making decisions on the sporting front. We must remember though, this is not exclusively a sporting decision.
I’ll take it though and so will the Baggies. Dean from Aston will no doubt think differently.
What I say though, is don’t worry you Villa fans, the Bundesliga will be forcing the Premier Leagues hand to finish their season off, if we don’t want those Germans stealing our worldwide audience.
There are so many possible outcomes to this pandemic. There is no doubt the financing structure of football is going to have to take a hit. The TV contracts will take a drastic turn hence massively affecting the way some football clubs do their business. The ones that have relied heavily on their TV income are going to suffer badly.
Fortunately for Leeds their TV income, like similar clubs in the Championship, is but a small percentage of their financial income to keep their clubs running.
The Premier League clubs are in a totally different position. It looks like the 100m relegation pay out was only available in the ‘Age of Abundance’. The parameters are changing. In turn this will affect the players. They will have to decide between loyalty to the club or their bank manager.
This is where I’m confident with the Bielsa set up. He demands loyalty and total commitment. Leave the planning to him, you just do what you are told, otherwise you won’t make the first team. The system is of greater importance than individual skill. Marcello, I’m sure, believes sticking to his system will improve your skill beyond what you expect. It takes time and any sign of lack of patience will be frowned upon. As many Leeds fans have born witness, Bielsa has turned who we thought were donkeys in to thoroughbreds. Yes, I know they are not Class one’s yet but give the system time. If you want examples I’d point to Phillips and Klich. You can add Dallas to that if you want. The unknowns are swapping between the U23’s and the first team bench. It’s a waiting game for that eventual first team appearance. Patience is a virtue that can be drastically underestimated in a young man’s mind.
At the moment I’m trying to refind the feelings of expectation that I had before Covid19 arrived. Unfortunately we must wait on the boardroom decisions.
It may take a while yet.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

wake up ! Training re-starts for the final phase. Leeds and Baggies to stay on top ? Might Forest shine for a few games ?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Huddersfield warning 50-60 clubs could go out of business if there are no crowds into next season.

Surely the sensible thing to do given the exceptional circumstances is to allow every EFL club a penalty-free administration?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Or take TV Cash from the Prem Clubs 👏👏👏👏

As one not adverse to B Clubs aligned to the big ones, maybe this is the time to allow it?

I'm not sure if either are feasible\realistic .....

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 148
The run in analysis. Nine games to go, five at home, four away. The home games are against all the bottom three, throw in Stoke at 17th but firstly the one against 3rd placed Fulham.
Well, you can forget all that. Forget the home advantage or the away form. Forget the form before the season was stopped. These games are going to be registered under an asterisk.
Promotion and relegation will be experienced in empty stadiums. The 12th man will be huddled distantly around the electronic devices. All will be watching the film because they can’t go to the theatre.
The ‘I was there’, has been taken away. They’ll be found out pretty quickly if they weren’t.
Leeds and WBA can afford a mini blip, Fulham can’t. Fulham have both Leeds and WBA away. It gives them a better chance of doing it and not relying too much on other teams. Throw in Forest as another team to face and it starts to look like a brave call.
At the other end, it looks like the three that came up might be going straight back down. This is a rare occurrence. Barnsley and Luton look like they’ve done their best but it doesn’t seem enough. Charlton are having to deal with AWOL. It’s looking bleak. Stoke, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Wigan and Hull are the other candidates for the drop.
The play off spots are up for grabs for many a team. With the PPG (Points per game) coming in to effect if a second wave starts, each game could be seen as the last. The first couple of games will be very nervous affairs. Yes, we are still waiting to get it up and running but as they say, a week is a long time in politics.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Good to see the fixture list is up. If Brentford win their first two games, against Fulham and WBA, that’ll put the cat among the pigeons. Two wins for any lurkers will suddenly turn the season. Of the last five games, apart from Leeds winning all five, surprisingly it’s QPR, Reading, Wigan and Barnsley that are the ones with three wins. Preston, Charlton and Hull have lost four. Whilst Birmingham have drawn four. Derby and Reading are the teams with two wins on the bounce.
This 9 game sprint is going to be entertaining.
I’m holding my breath now.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Good news for Birmingham as they have avoided a points reduction from the EFL as Wednesday and Derby await their fate. Barnsley are calling for implementation of charges to be brought before the season end.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

The Championship is back today - 5 minutes and counting until Fulham take on Brentford. The M of Brentford's BMW is out with Coronavirus.

Reading v Stoke at the Madejski at 3 - just bought an ifollow pass to watch it on the TV (would usually either go to the game or listen to Tim, Mick and Ady on BBC Radio Berkshire). Didn't get a cardboard cutout in the stands though.

Got to dust my shirt off and get the chants playlist on now.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 149

Back to the promotion chase it is and back in to the thick of it. Across the Welsh border they must travel. Oh, no, it’s Cardiff.
Yes, the Cardiff Curse, if ever there was one. Just three wins against them in the last 24. It’s just one of those things you’ve got to accept in life. We were looking for hope in the other results.
First wish delivered as Fulham lost to Brentford early doors. The Bee’s will be buzzing their way to the Hawthorns as the Cottagers trudge up the M1 to Leeds. Crunch games arriving thick and fast.
Huddersfield’s memories of the Premier League are fading fast. They don’t want to be going to the Stadium of Light or Portman Road soon but Wigan turned them over. Stoke fear the same, Middlesbrough have been worrying about it for a while. Hull have to face reality, they’ve got to pull their finger out. Losing at home to a beleaguered Charlton is a slap they didn’t want. In to the bottom three they drop.
Late goals cost Forest, Reading and Preston a couple of points.
WBA couldn’t score against Birmingham.
Overall, a good day for Leeds before having to face that Cardiff curse tomorrow.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Fking Fick Mick is making this unwatchable 😤😤😤

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bamford should play CB?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It's the Curse, the Curse.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

jimmy ching wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 13:03 It's the Curse, the Curse.
it seems so 2:0 now....

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

we desperately need a good striker....

How about this one for next season in the Championship? :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Nsame

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Malrom wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 13:45 we desperately need a good striker....

How about this one for next season in the Championship? :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Nsame
Yep, what did Bamford do today? We can only cry. Like Blablah said, he'd make a good CB. Leeds were at it again, pleasant fancy football with no brutal instinct for the kill. Poor performance today but I'd
already written this off as three points lost at the beginning of the season.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The way he blocked that certain goal did show good CB instincts. Great in possession nowhere near the box, but shocking in\near it imho.

But it was the first time I have watched tbh...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

blahblah wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 14:16 The way he blocked that certain goal did show good CB instincts. Great in possession nowhere near the box, but shocking in\near it imho.

But it was the first time I have watched tbh...
Bamford. He reminds me of that good sporty posh kid who will always be in the team because his dad's the coach. Average but always there. I only got in to my team because my dad gave the other kids a lift. It's more than just ball skills, it's team work.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 150

After the tributes to Whittingham, Cherry and Hunter the Whites got off to a rusty start. In the first ten minutes Cardiff were starting to take control. The long throw tactic was working it’s way in to the game. Costa was looking grumpy, White was committing fouls. Leeds were struggling and Hoilett was showing off. On the thirteenth minute Leeds had their first promising attack. Harrison ran it out of play.
The players were starting to get snarky with the ref. He was enjoying stopping the flow of the game.
A penalty box scramble on the 25th minute was lost as Bamford was turning himself around in circles searching for the ball. Smithies was the more determined, it doesn’t take much for a Huddersfield man to raise his game against Leeds. Rivalry creates a new determination. With half an hour gone, a draw was on the cards.
Five minutes later Phillips passed to the opposing Hoilett, again he headed immediately towards the goal, the defenders backed off, allowing a free shot at an exposed Meslier. Shocking it was. 1-0 Cardiff.
Leeds knew they had to make amends. Bless them they tried. Just before half time, Harrison goal bound shot was trapped by Bamford therefore stopping the equalizer. Yes, it was going to be one of those days.
By the hour, Leeds were not clicking. It was bitty, ending one pass short of a fun picnic. Klich was trying to drive forward, Dallas followed suit. Dallas shot from 25 yards just to get a point across.
A little later Smithies was called upon for the first time proper as he scrambled along his goal line to deny Roberts.
Bamford kept on bumbling as we started to pray for just a draw with twenty to go. Cooper then did a Kalvin, Cardiff jumped on the chance and Glatzel struck the ball home past an undefended Meslier. 2-0. It was over, Gotts and Poveda weren’t going to change things around as Bielsa threw them on. I get the feeling Marcelo is going to be giving hell this week.
Pablo must have been watching, knowingly why we need him. Of the ten games they’ve played with out him, they’ve just won three.
That’s one point from nine for the top three teams. We are all falling apart together as the Bees are making their honey. Cardiff moved level with play off spots.
A seven point gap for the automatic spot could soon be a lot less. The top four take on each other in the next round. This is not for the faint hearted.

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

Woodgate sacked - Neil Warnock in at Boro. Never thought I would see the day that I would be pleased to see Warnock as manager of the Boro

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

Mr Gibson enquired. Mr W said "why not, I have had a break in lockdown and its probably only going to be for a few weeks during the summer"

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Brentford won against Brom last night in the first of this weekend's big games. Today it is Leeds v Fulham. Another win for a Southern team will make the promotion race a tad more interesting.

Meanwhile, Reading are aiming to remain equidistant between the play off spots and the relegation places.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 09:49 Meanwhile, Reading are aiming to remain equidistant between the play off spots and the relegation places.
Yeah, this is not exactly the most exciting of run-ins for us Reading fans :lol:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

but a win against Rooney and Co will put a smile on your face ! Will the teenage hat trick man spoil it for you ?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”