To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by theo29 »

getting the show on the road for next season ! All contributions and new posters welcome.

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

Surely Ipswich will be promoted this season?

Ah, damn, wrong thread...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Welcome to the Carnival of doom and gloom, unpredictabilty and highs. Expectations and unexpected scenarios will be on the menu.
We have Marcelo and Frankie, Bent nose Brucie and manic O Niell.
Warnock has returned and another German manager to be worried about, has just arrived with Barnsley.
The summer tradings and lack of’s, will keep the pot simmering over the summer.
It’s good to see Luton back proving that Lazarus is not just a fable.
Fulham and Charlton take the London count to five as they arrive from different directions, just one behind the Yorkshire contingent.
Derby and Forest continue their El Classico.
West Brom and the Brummies will be the Birmingham derby.
Swansea and Cardiff will be fighting for the Pride of Wales and no doubt, Nathan Jones will be Stoking the flames.
Stoke, Bristol City and Reading will be trying to prove you can stand alone for your region.
The mandatory North West contingent will be looking for a much improved season but hell, it’s hard attracting fans from the bigger clubs, just down the road.
Welcome again to the circus of uncertainty.
Last edited by jimmy ching on 29 May 2019, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

get_on_my_cocker wrote: 28 May 2019, 11:15 Surely Ipswich will be promoted this season?

Ah, damn, wrong thread...
More chance than for many seasons 8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Maybe we should extend it to EFL as a whole, in case there’s any Forest Green or Salford (or maybe even Ipswich or Sunderland) supporters...

Anyway, early Championship odds:

Leeds 6/1
Fulham 7
Cardiff, West Brom 10
Stoke 12
Boro 14
Derby, Huddersfield, Swansea, Brentford 16
Sheff Wed, Bristol C 20
Preston, Forest 25 (that’s generous! Must get a fiver on...)
Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham 33
QPR, Wigan, Barnsley, Hull, Reading 40
Millwall, Charlton 50

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Thoughts on other teams... the relegated teams are always over-rated by the bookies, expect Fulham to struggle to shift their expensive flops, and Huddersfield could fall straight through. Colin will have Cardiff in the mix but probably play-off level.

Leeds unsurprisingly favoured with Bielsa staying, but can they stay the distance? Boro, Baggies and Swans are all short prices when they don’t even have managers yet.

Those on the last three lines will be more than likely to struggle but there’s always a surprise package, I wonder what Norwich were quoted at a year ago?

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Reading are near the bottom of the bookie's list but their form in the second half of the season was good but we were reliant on an impressive set of loan players. Morale has certainly improved since Jose came in so hopefully a comfortable mid-table finish will be achievable this coming season. I don't expect many transfers in, due to FFP, so expect a young squad stocked from the academy.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Many Championship sides are fully aware of the teams with parachute Premier League payments .

They are as follows.

Cardiff £40m

Fulham £40m

Huddersfield £40m

Stoke City £35m

Swansea City £35

West Brom £35m

Middlesbrough's and Hull's payments are no longer. The ball and chain have been added. Welcome, to the reality of insecurity.
Villa managed to use their advantage just in time and escape the League of the Damned.
Sunderland, even though in League One, will receive their last payment of £15m.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Middlesbrough, who are now staring in to the chasm, have submitted a complaint to the FL about Derby's financial maneuverings involving their stadium.
It seems, they feel they were denied a play off spot due to what they call unfair financial creativity.
Wolves were challenged about theirs during their season of promotion and the FL considered their finances were legitimate.
No doubt, Derby will be hoping for the same result.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

How much difference do the parachute payments really make in the sense of increasing chance of promotion? Teams tend to piss them up the wall in a desperate attempt to turn around a losing culture. Very few come straight back up these days, not sure what the stats are on 2nd or 3rd season.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

an amazing start to the new thread ! 200 plus in the first 24 hours. There are so many aspects of the league to play with that I might be willing to offer some or all my 2019 Fuel Allowance to FISOers who take an active part in the thread.
The Google Championship thread gives all the basic information. JC gave us a little geographic spread of the 24 teams. I have formed them into 6 regions which will each need a title so your suggestions are invited. London clubs 5. Yorkshire(inc Boro) 6 Midlands 5 Wales/Bristol C 3 NorthWest 3. Luton/ Reading 2 will be the SEASON TICKETS HOLDERS or something like that.
I cant work out just how many interzonal games or local derbies that will be in the season. Firstly your name suggestions please.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I really don't know what to think about QPR. We have a new manager, an ex City trader, who has had numerous arguments with previous clubs he has managed. I suspect his managerial style mimics a trading room to some extent, which is not going to be an arm round the shoulder approach.

Given we need a kick up the rear, this might be perfect.

Or it could all go up in flames.

Add to that the financial problems we have and I can see some of the better players being sold in the summer and another tough year trying to avoid relegation.

If any relatives of the Man C owners are reading this, we are a sleeping giant, you get to live in London, and we are a lot cheaper than Newcastle :)

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

forestfan wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:50 How much difference do the parachute payments really make in the sense of increasing chance of promotion? Teams tend to piss them up the wall in a desperate attempt to turn around a losing culture. Very few come straight back up these days, not sure what the stats are on 2nd or 3rd season.
not sure my records are totally complete, but here's how long each relegated Prem team has taken to come back. The letter c means "and counting...", and more than one reference means the club has been relegated more than once from Prem (covers past 11 seasons):

QPR - 1, 4c
NEW - 1, 1
MIDDS - 7, 2c
WBA - 1, 1c
BUR - 4, 1
HULL - 3, 1, 2c
PORTS - 7c
BIRM - 8c
BLACKPOOL - 8c
WHU - 1
BOLT - 7c
BLACKBURN - 7c
WOL - 6
WIG - 6c
READ - 6c
NORWICH - 1, 3
FUL - 4
CAR - 4
AV - 3
SUND - 2c
SWANS - 1c
STOKE - 1c

8 clubs have bounced straight back up.

NOBODY has bounced in year 2.

Only 3 have come back in year 3, and the same in year 4.

After that, only Wolves (6 years) and Middlesborough (7). And Midds went straight back down again.

Midds, Swans, Hull and Stoke ... basically it is next season or never, it seems.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Even better he could invest in col utd we could do with some backing

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 28 May 2019, 22:36 Maybe we should extend it to EFL as a whole, in case there’s any Forest Green or Salford (or maybe even Ipswich or Sunderland) supporters...

Anyway, early Championship odds:

Leeds 6/1
Fulham 7
Cardiff, West Brom 10
Stoke 12
Boro 14
Derby, Huddersfield, Swansea, Brentford 16
Sheff Wed, Bristol C 20
Preston, Forest 25 (that’s generous! Must get a fiver on...)
Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham 33
QPR, Wigan, Barnsley, Hull, Reading 40
Millwall, Charlton 50
There's some decent each way bets there - Wednesday and Bristol City both 20/1

Also there seems no stand out favourite to go down this year. Could be squeeky at the bottom.

If we keep hold of Che, we will be better than 33-1, although what this ground share with Cov is going to for the pitch, I've no idea :?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

PS Any idea who will be hit by FFP rules this year ?

I still don't believe I heard what happened to Bolton for not fulfilling the Brentford fixture.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

it would be stretching it a bit to say that Luton Town v Reading next season is a 'local derby' but these are the 2 runners roughly the same distance from the big City both with substantial rail season tickets holders. The Hatters have the smallest capacity in the Championship so their home gates will, or should begin with the figures 9 or 10. (very similar to Bournemouth in the big boys league) They have been on a continuous upward curve in the last 5-6 years after getting out of the Conference. I hope we can locate a FISOer who will speak for them. In the case of the Royals, (although they are still the Biscuitmen to me) we have the eloquent Morganb who gives us a Premier preview throughout the season, but who has been on tenterhooks for most of the season just ended. Which way will they head from August this year ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

What Leeds need is a striker. It would be even better if he was Leeds born.
What shouts more than a hat trick of hat tricks?
Joking apart, Erling Haaland has got himself in to the Quiz question league.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

it just occurred to me that Reading was the nearest team to my childhood home,which did not have a football league club in the 40's but has got one nowadays.(Where is it ?)
First match I ever saw was at Elm Park v Palace and the Reading team consisted largely of PTI sergeants stationed at Aldershot.
Luton was further away than Watford and there were no direct trains or buses.

Next local derbies. blenosey's Birmingham City and the Baggies.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Milton Keynes way?

I'm sure it is possible to be further than Gillingham than that though

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2020-21

Post by theo29 »

no blahblah not MK . My team joined the EFL about 10 years before them having had a long ameteur career. Have another go.....no one else is responding. What has Gillingham got to do with it ?
Last edited by theo29 on 20 Jul 2020, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Wycombe?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yeovil?

Where is the place furthest from a League Club?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:14 Where is the place furthest from a League Club?
I’d guess at Land’s End or Berwick-upon-Tweed :wink:

(I know Berwick Rangers were a Scottish League club, until a few weeks ago...)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:28
blahblah wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:14 Where is the place furthest from a League Club?

Often the obvious answers aren't correct though :wink:

Somewhere near Aberystwyth could be further?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 11:12
forestfan wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:28

Often the obvious answers aren't correct though :wink:

Somewhere near Aberystwyth could be further?
Yeah, though does Wales really count, given it has its own domestic league despite the bigger clubs playing in the English pyramid?

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

forestfan is right, my home town team is Wycombe Wanderers. The furthest place from a league team ? I think blahblah is correct in that it is in deepest Wales possibly beyond Butlins Camp at Pwllheli on the LLeyn Peninsula. Perhaps someone will check ! I have a friend, Liverpool season ticket holder who travels from Rhyl which he (at 85) thinks it is far enough. Which of Swansea or Liverpool is the nearest to travel ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Those Welsh Clubs are pretty much Non League?

This sort of question ie the furthest is why the internet and search engines have killed life. Years ago it would have been good pub chat.....

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

theo29 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 11:29 forestfan is right, my home town team is Wycombe Wanderers. The furthest place from a league team ? I think blahblah is correct in that it is in deepest Wales possibly beyond Butlins Camp at Pwllheli on the LLeyn Peninsula. Perhaps someone will check ! I have a friend, Liverpool season ticket holder who travels from Rhyl which he (at 85) thinks it is far enough. Which of Swansea or Liverpool is the nearest to travel ?
I went to Adams Park years ago, mid 90s ? Freezing cold fixture, the game shouldn't have taken place with players literally skating all over the place. One of those old skool games where you couldn't feel your hands or feet. The ground was in a semi rural location, if I recall. I was with about 100 Walsall fans, who went on to win 2-0. Very friendly bunch the Wycombe lot. It's just a pity they can't have the rugby club back :)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 11:39 Those Welsh Clubs are pretty much Non League?

This sort of question ie the furthest is why the internet and search engines have killed life. Years ago it would have been good pub chat.....
Anglesey Academicals ?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”