To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

As a Spurs supporter.

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

As a Spurs supporter.

Post by Britinus »

Help me understand all this hype/fake news ie. Merson, Neville and others.
Utd want, no demand Poch, and now talk of Erickson, Son, Ali and Kane leaving. It's not as if Spurs are a mediocre club.Spurs are a top 4 club , new stadium, semi finalist in cup, last 16 in champs league should finish in top 4 again, so why all this annoying news day after day, it really pi****s me off, must unsettle the team too. Is it just the money and not loyalty. Wish Poch would come out and state categorically that he's staying at Spurs and tell the media to take a hike, not that they will of course.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: As a Spurs supporter.

Post by Tacalabala »

It shows a lack of respect for what Spurs are trying to do.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Maybe it’s because they have had 40years of selling off their best players

It’s the best Spurs team of my lifetime... but it’s still not the real deal - so it’s easy (lazy) for journalists to speculate that the better players can be poached.

All the while, the fact the manager won’t make a statement/commitment is only adding fuel to that fire.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Any team seen as overachieving will attract that kind of talk... and a team probably sixth in terms of resources consistently finishing in the top three or four meets that description.

They've done really well to hold it together for the past few years, but it will be tough for Pochettino to not be tempted by Manchester or Madrid, and if he does go there's a fair chance that some or all of their best players will follow. But even if that happens, the infrastructure is there going forward, it might just take a couple of years to get back on track, like it did after the Redknapp/Bale era ended. They shouldn't end up as a Villa/Newcastle/Leeds.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Britinus wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 13:08 Help me understand all this hype/fake news ie. Merson, Neville and others.
Surely Levy's tightfistedness (or insistence on a sound financial balance depending on your subjective take) is a key factor. When most of the top players at a club know that they could earn more elsewhere success or a high probability of success, is the bare minimum if the dressing room is not to lose key elements. If I was Pochettino, this would be one of many factors in my decision matrix.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

All good comments, and Poch did at least say he was happy at Spurs and didn't like all the rumours,. Guess a lot of it will depend how Spurs finish the season. A top four and any type of silver ware together with the new stadium might just keep him at Spurs for at least another season.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Pochittino stays :D :D :D
Or does make him even more needed by MU or RM...probably. :( :( :(

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Kane out until March and Son on Asian Cup duty, so now what, Semi final to play as well as Champs league. I fear could be the end of our season unless we can pick up decent forward from heavens knows where. :(

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Troy Parrott.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 00:21 Troy Parrott.
I'd never heard of this guy until a few days ago, and now suddenly his name is appearing all over the place.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Striker wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 14:50
Beerfuelledman wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 00:21 Troy Parrott.
I'd never heard of this guy until a few days ago, and now suddenly his name is appearing all over the place.
Well, they do need snookers without Kane :wink:

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

:wink: Away goals should count :( :( :(

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Now watch the media saying Utd want Poch again, well you can't damn well have him. :lol:

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

I think poch use the same formation as PSG .Over running dortmund counter attack just like how PSG over ran ours

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Packed the midfield by having 3 in defencers and high wing backs? And one up front. I still want OGS anyway

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

If Jaden Sancho managed to get past SuperJan Vertonghen he ran straight into Toby Alderweireld. Tactical masterclass.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Looks like you might be able to reuse this season’s marketing campaign about the new stadium, “the only place to watch Champions League football in London”...

...if it’s ready next season that is, or otherwise you might be welcoming Real Madrid to Milton Keynes :wink:

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

I'm hoping Spurs do lodge an appeal against the touchline ban for Poch, maybe then we might learn what Dean said to him. Poch is too much of a gentleman not to complain and Dean could have come forward in his defence. I've always disliked Dean. Seems to be a case of double standards that the FA ban Poch and not Klopp.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zidane back at Real... good for Spurs perhaps in terms of hanging onto their manager, but Eriksen rumoured to be on his wish list.

That top four battle (or alternatively winning the CL...) will be massive for the future of the club.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Now the rumours of Poch going to RM will cease, and hopefully Ole keeps up the good work at MU otherwise pundits will start on him going there
One point out of a pos 12 just isn't good enough.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Britinus wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 21:40 Now the rumours of Poch going to RM will cease, and hopefully Ole keeps up the good work at MU otherwise pundits will start on him going there
One point out of a pos 12 just isn't good enough.
Yeah, and having to visit the top two means you probably now have to pretty much go 100% in your other remaining games to stay in the top four. The new stadium will have to be the inspiration for that.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

In my view this is the best Spurs first 11 plus manager since 60's, but thats a big ask in todays game to turn that into silverware. Unless they have amazing amount of luck, with present owners who for what ever reason will not invest in a truly competitive squad. Stadium will again my view hinder not help, to pay for it means it has to be used for other things not convinced Using it for American Football good idea.
Spurs do have a big London fan base , but days when money from live spectators was the big earner have gone now its more about sponsorship and TV revenue and to build that needs winning silverware, as most non UK fans expect that more than how entertaining club is.
As an AFc fan love our rivalry, both our clubs fans in London thrive on it not so sure world wide fans see it the same, through gritted teeth do hope ENIC will change there policy and give the manager a chance and put some real money into your squad before it is to late.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

mikeg13 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 11:23 In my view this is the best Spurs first 11 plus manager since 60's,
Not sure you are right about it being THE best but it is close. There isn't enough squad depth though and even the 'lesser' members of the first XI aren't that great. Certainly a brilliant core, especially going forward.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

murf wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 15:57
mikeg13 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 11:23 In my view this is the best Spurs first 11 plus manager since 60's,
Not sure you are right about it being THE best but it is close. There isn't enough squad depth though and even the 'lesser' members of the first XI aren't that great. Certainly a brilliant core, especially going forward.
Understand , not saying individuals are the best since 60's but as a whole in my view they are, that 60's team who are still best club side have ever seen, had players who would never have been seen as star players but together they were superb. Key for them was they had a proper squad and a genius called Blanchflower

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

I remember the 1960 team well and I'd say Blanchflower, White and Brown were definitely star players. The rest like Jones, Dyson, Baker etc. were good team players.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

On a slightly Spurs-related note, Zidane's return to Real doesn't look like good news for Bale, but it seems no English club can afford his wages, particularly given age and injury history, and he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

His contract has three years to run by which time he will be almost 33, so it looks like he will spend that time as a bit-part player and then his next move is likely to be to America/China/Middle East. Would be a real shame if his time as a major player at the top level is effectively over.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:On a slightly Spurs-related note, Zidane's return to Real doesn't look like good news for Bale, but it seems no English club can afford his wages, particularly given age and injury history, and he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

His contract has three years to run by which time he will be almost 33, so it looks like he will spend that time as a bit-part player and then his next move is likely to be to America/China/Middle East. Would be a real shame if his time as a major player at the top level is effectively over.
Could negotiate a cut price exit so somebody pays his wages rather than big transfer fee. Assume he has £30m+ wages yet to be paid by Real (200k/wk * 3 years) who don't really want him.

Or he could just realise he is rich enough already and take a pay cut to sign for Spurs (or Man U etc) so he can actually play football.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

murf wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 23:37
forestfan wrote:On a slightly Spurs-related note, Zidane's return to Real doesn't look like good news for Bale, but it seems no English club can afford his wages, particularly given age and injury history, and he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

Could negotiate a cut price exit so somebody pays his wages rather than big transfer fee. Assume he has £30m+ wages yet to be paid by Real (200k/wk * 3 years) who don't really want him.

Or he could just realise he is rich enough already and take a pay cut to sign for Spurs (or Man U etc) so he can actually play football.
He wouldn't want to play in the UK, not the best golfing weather, better move to Florida and play for Beckham's team...sunshine and hundreds of golf courses.... :lol:

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Yesssss :D :D :D :D
Wasn't a great supporter of VAR until now. :lol:
It's unfortunate Son will miss one of the semi's though.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Interesting comments from Pochettino on potentially walking away if they win the CL... half joking?

As I suggested last night, the Barca job will be available in the summer now so may be another bullet for Spurs to dodge in terms of keeping their manager!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”