To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

European super league

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: European super league

Post by blahblah »

Kelly was a better story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elway_to_Marino, and was Climate and location based: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly

It's a great film\doc tbh along with Believeland and the Four Falls of Buffalo.

Edit: The Bills still held the right to have him went the USFL went phut.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:25 Kelly was a better story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elway_to_Marino, and was Climate and location based: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly

It's a great film\doc tbh along with Believeland and the Four Falls of Buffalo.

Edit: The Bills still held the right to have him went the USFL went phut.
They do refer to a "Buffalo tax" sometimes, in terms of trade/free agency, in that players need to be offered a bit more to persuade them to move to a cold upstate New York backwater.

I expect Cleveland and Detroit are probably not top of most players' wishlists either, and maybe Green Bay though some might prefer the small town atmosphere compared to going to one of the big cities. In most cases, though, young players are happy to be wanted and to get drafted, it's only the real A-list prospects who can afford to kick up a fuss.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Tacalabala wrote:
I think we're over-rationalising it here, the clubs really can't see beyond the money. Bayern's president is Uli Hoeness, a convicted tax evader who was elected to the position after an election in which he was the only candidate.
If you invest for the medium term you tend to do it with an idea of the future prospects, to do so especially with such large sums involved seems essential. If there are real doubts as to the sustainability of profits then those doubts will be taken on board.

An initial bonanza is very attractive especially if you intend to sell and move on quickly which tbf could well be a viable strategy here, the immediate windfall would be worth risking all for some and more especially if those clubs are now based in Germany or France and called Bayern or PSG.

Even looking slightly ahead there could be problems, its not hard to see at all. FFP was rushed into with no thought to the 'unforseen' but very obvious consequences. Apparently the UEFA chiefs have done their level best to backtrack when its affected top clubs' dealings, perhaps this has even contributed to this idea. Will they this time think what will likely happen?

To say this looks far more attractive to some and far less to others just seems to be based on reality to me.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

The cracks so widely predicted here between the teams who can see the obvious drawbacks to this new super league, and have by far the most to risk, i.e. the premier league five, and the continental one team league giants with everything to gain and nothing to lose, principally Bayern and PSG.

Manchester United and Arsenal have stuck their heads above the parapet and urged the utmost caution in proceeding while Bayern have been amongst it's most prominent promoters

No surprise why then as detailed in previous posts.

Manchester United urging caution from fellow continental giants over potential European super league

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... hs14WgcGj0

It's just not happening anytime soon imo, maybe eventually it will but that's some time off and not in it's proposed format

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -threaten/ may be of interest. I read something about the 5 being tied into the Tv Deal which runs until 2021, not 20 when it is due to start, apologies for not being able to find the link. If the same TV Companies would they side with the leavers or the remainers and pay the remainers the same amount?

I read the article from the perspective as do Clubs have to apply to be in the Prem, but it wasn't mentioned beyond an agreement to a collective tv negotiation and signed contract. So in theory they could go to a random local pub and get 11 bods for that? (A twist on the England need a fast bowler so whitle down Tyke mine, or the Aussies get bods from Bondai (sp) beach. Orthe season before and get relegated?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 23:13 The cracks so widely predicted here between the teams who can see the obvious drawbacks to this new super league, and have by far the most to risk, i.e. the premier league five, and the continental one team league giants with everything to gain and nothing to lose, principally Bayern and PSG.

Manchester United and Arsenal have stuck their heads above the parapet and urged the utmost caution in proceeding while Bayern have been amongst it's most prominent promoters

Manchester United urging caution from fellow continental giants over potential European super league

It's just not happening anytime soon imo, maybe eventually it will but that's some time off and not in it's proposed format
MU Arse et al are saying no ore or less than: "the board has full confidence in Jokebod\Hughes et al". The obstacles of this are far less than Brexit ie the Paymasters are the key and if they want it, then the owners are well on board.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 23:13 The cracks so widely predicted here between the teams who can see the obvious drawbacks to this new super league, and have by far the most to risk, i.e. the premier league five, and the continental one team league giants with everything to gain and nothing to lose, principally Bayern and PSG.

MU Arse et al are saying no ore or less than: "the board has full confidence in Jokebod\Hughes et al". The obstacles of this are far less than Brexit ie the Paymasters are the key and if they want it, then the owners are well on board.
Agree to disagree then and I'm not going off at tangents either

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli has come out in support of UEFA's governing body stating "I can confirm we have never seen, never discussed, never been involved in the creation of this document. We are fully engaged with Uefa in shaping the game going forward."

Aleksander Ceferin, the Uefa president, had said a super league will not happen describing it as a work of fiction or a dream.

Ceferin and Andrea Agnelli, chairman of Juventus and the European Club Association that represents more than 200 top teams, have made their positions clear following a report that a leaked document revealed secret discussions over the possibility of setting up an elite super league.

In reality there has always been an elite set of clubs in European football, an exclusive club or even a cartel who always wanted to prevent and block new members, put up fences, brick walls and barbed wire, anything for it to remain that way.

FFP was largely an attempt to control the nouveau riche brought in under the cloak of stopping small clubs overspending, it was always designed to stop another Chelsea happening elsewhere in Europe, to put up barriers for the the new boys City and PSG, to remain exclusive.

Manchester City, PSG, Chelsea — the original cause of all this fear, do not forget, because FFP was initially intended to ward off Roman Abramovich, not Sheik Mansour — are here to stay. We must hope other, ambitious clubs join them.

We must hope that one day all the greatest leagues of Europe have six or more teams who start each season thinking they can win it. We're blessed over here. We've got a competition. That is what terrifies football's rich. That is why they want to see City and PSG regulated out of successful existence. 

Other leagues are hugely jealous of the premier league's commercial success and the wealth it is has brought to it's members, in a desperate attempt to catch up they've often structured their TV deals to favour their elite giving unbalanced one and two team leagues and killing off competition. They see the premier league and want competition themselves, they naturally have dreams and desperately want to be on an equal footing.

What do they think is going to happen, these masters of the universe, the entitled elite of European football? That they will unleash the full force of UEFA and Financial Fair Play on Manchester City, and they will go away? It's too late. They lost. New money did get in. New powers have emerged.

All this desperate talk of European super leagues and breakaways is just the big clubs trying to stem the tide. They want to freeze time, and you can't. This is a moment in time. City will not win seven titles on the spin, as Juventus have in Italy, because English football does not work like that, and their present structure is not for ever.

Pep Guardiola will be done with Manchester soon, just as he was done with Munich and Barcelona. Maybe next season, maybe a little longer, but this isn't a dynasty — this isn't even Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool. And Guardiola is a tough man to replace. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... eague/amp/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -away.html

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”