To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

Post by forestfan »

thebillfella wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:47 But surely that's the one thing ex players like Rio do know? The main problem here is not knowing how he would perform in the role as no experience to date but then again Ajax had the same thing with van Der Saar and Overmars.

Other than pulling money out of the club I'm not really sure how much input the Glaziers have tbh. Woodward still the main problem for me as he doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to football decisions. It's been 4 months since Mourinho was fired and a DoF was mooted yet still no appointment made and one now would be too late to influence the summer transfer window. Yet more incompetence from the Equaliser and further justification that he needs to be distanced from these decisions asap.

Ajax is currently showing us how it should be done - anyone that has s role making football decisions has to be an ex footballer and preferably one that played for the club and totally understands the club philosophy.
The owners always set the tone, the culture of the whole place has to stem from them. If they are distant and lacking any footballing strategy that will filter down. American owners often struggle with the ironically more right-wing mindset of European sports (no high draft pick if you’re crap...) but in the Glazers’ case they own a perennially unsuccessful NFL franchise as well!

Good appointments below them can make a difference, but good people are less likely to come to somewhere that seems to be stagnating or declining. And surely there must be a breaking point where the finances go pear shaped due to failures on the pitch? When City shirts start to outsell them in the Far East etc...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Doesn’t the United name/prestige transcend reality?

Real Madrid could be described as being on a downward trend or a transition period... bt you’d never suggest they wouldn’t be able to attract players (granted the CL v europa angle could add some weight... but nothing high wages cannot take care of).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:12 Doesn’t the United name/prestige transcend reality?

Real Madrid could be described as being on a downward trend or a transition period... bt you’d never suggest they wouldn’t be able to attract players (granted the CL v europa angle could add some weight... but nothing high wages cannot take care of).
Real have won the previous three Champions Leagues, and could finish in the top three in La Liga playing blindfolded.

The United name won’t have unlimited brand power if they keep failing to make the Champions League. They will always have history, but then again so will Forest, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m just referring to the immediate (not some unspecific time in the future).

ie can united still sign almost anybody they want? I would say yes.

They’ve managed to sign Di Maria, Martial, Depay, Pogba, Mkhytaryan, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Matic and Lukaku in the last 5 years.

(Whilst hindsight might let us pour scorn on most of them... they were big signings of big players (or players with big potential and a choice of options). United managed to snare them.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

If Spurs miss out on the top four (and don’t win the CL), could United reconsider and go back for Pochettino I wonder?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Who knows with Woodward in charge. Poch seems to be (as things stand but based on an element of the unknown with Ole) the superior manager, but now that Ole has been appointed I'm pretty sure most United fans want to see Ole given a chance. We're a loyal lot at OT!

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Plane banner photos incoming...

I'd be amazed if there was any change this summer. Let's see what Ole can cajole Woodward into in the honeymoon transfer window - outs and ins.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ole has time while Pogba is being a Diva and Ewar controls the players bought?

Rio as DoF is madness, imho.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Ole has set out his objective for next season... “make sure we don’t drop out of the top six”.

Staying ahead of Wolves, Watford, Everton and Leicester? That’s a real statement of ambition for the “world’s biggest club”...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

So he needs 6th this season or being lower next season is good :lol:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

thebillfella wrote: 05 May 2019, 10:31 Who knows with Woodward in charge. Poch seems to be (as things stand but based on an element of the unknown with Ole) the superior manager, but now that Ole has been appointed I'm pretty sure most United fans want to see Ole given a chance. We're a loyal lot at OT!
There was certainly a vociferous (in terms of chat rooms etc, not sure about the ground) section who didn’t give Moyes a chance, so you’re not all loyal.

OGS has all the hallmarks of a disastrous appointment, even more so as United will feel a bit of loyalty towards him so likely stick with him longer than they should.

The idea a club with United’s ambitions should appoint a novice manager with essentially no track record just because he’s popular with people and managed a “new manager bounce” is looking more and more preposterous by the match.

It is true that the issues are deeper than the manager, but with the right manger they may be able to be compensated for; with the wrong manger they’ll be amplified.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

hancockjr wrote: 05 May 2019, 13:34
thebillfella wrote: 05 May 2019, 10:31 Who knows with Woodward in charge. Poch seems to be (as things stand but based on an element of the unknown with Ole) the superior manager, but now that Ole has been appointed I'm pretty sure most United fans want to see Ole given a chance. We're a loyal lot at OT!
There was certainly a vociferous (in terms of chat rooms etc, not sure about the ground) section who didn’t give Moyes a chance, so you’re not all loyal.

OGS has all the hallmarks of a disastrous appointment, even more so as United will feel a bit of loyalty towards him so likely stick with him longer than they should.

The idea a club with United’s ambitions should appoint a novice manager with essentially no track record just because he’s popular with people and managed a “new manager bounce” is looking more and more preposterous by the match.

It is true that the issues are deeper than the manager, but with the right manger they may be able to be compensated for; with the wrong manger they’ll be amplified.
Ole has more experience than Pep did when he got the Barca gig.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

He had played at the club for 17 years before managing the B team the previous season so did have a little experience in the clubs philosophy.

That’s the problem at United. They’re completely rudderless and even Pep would struggle to turn things around. OGS hasn’t a hope in Hell.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Ole played for United for 11 years and managed the reserves for 2.

Guardiola inherited Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc etc. Ole is inheriting Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Fred.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

Post by Maldini »

All big money signings by previous managers.

Every club makes mistakes in the transfer market. United have made it into an art form.

The attitude stinks. Even Rashford looks like he doesn’t give a shit today. That’s a worry.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'd be sending them on their holidays after today and playing the development squad in the last game, disgraceful and embarrassing performance.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Keep your Thursday nights free, United fans... if Watford win the FA Cup you’ll be starting in July, so I guess United supporters want City to win the treble now :lol:

A nice way for Huddersfield to sign off in front of their own fans, anyway.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Time for a serious rebuild hope they give ole the time to do it tho would like to see chong gomes and greenwood start next week

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Tacalabala wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:23 I'd be sending them on their holidays after today and playing the development squad in the last game, disgraceful and embarrassing performance.
I'd make them sit in the crowd and watch the youth players in their places in the final game - no point rewarding that 2nd half lethargy (yet again) with extra holiday.

Those players continue to start brightly but quickly fade to the point where they are woeful in the second half - they clearly are not fit enough (or hungry enough) to work at the tempo Ole is demanding. It doesn't matter who is in charge; some of the players need to be replaced by those that are fit enough to play and work hard. The average distances covered by a lot of those players is some of the lowest in the prem - its irrelevant what your ability is if you don't put the effort in and some of these mercenaries don't give a shit.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

thebillfella wrote: 05 May 2019, 17:52
Tacalabala wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:23 I'd be sending them on their holidays after today and playing the development squad in the last game, disgraceful and embarrassing performance.
I'd make them sit in the crowd and watch the youth players in their places in the final game - no point rewarding that 2nd half lethargy (yet again) with extra holiday.
Stuff that, I'd take a leaf out of Uday Hussein's book and have them flogged if I had the option.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

S_sutton87 wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:08 Time for a serious rebuild hope they give ole the time to do it tho would like to see chong gomes and greenwood start next week

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
I thought Chong looked quite decent when he came on. He even sprinted which made a nice change.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Mo Bot wrote: 05 May 2019, 20:13 I thought Chong looked quite decent when he came on. He even sprinted which made a nice change.
That would stand out quite clearly in comparison to everybody else wearing red on the pitch today :roll: :shock:

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

hancockjr wrote: 05 May 2019, 13:34
There was certainly a vociferous (in terms of chat rooms etc, not sure about the ground) section who didn’t give Moyes a chance, so you’re not all loyal. Don't recall any of that personally; only at the end did I hear anyone being vociferous against him and this was long after fans of other big clubs would have turned against him, so can't agree here Julian

OGS has all the hallmarks of a disastrous appointment, even more so as United will feel a bit of loyalty towards him so likely stick with him longer than they should. How? In what way does he have all those hallmarks exactly? I agree it was not sensible / necessary for Woodward to appoint him before the end of the season (and I would at this stage agree that I think Pochettino would be a better choice) but the fact is he is an unknown and we have no idea whether he will be a good or bad appointment in the long run? I guess this difference in opinion may reinforce my earlier point above regarding the attitude of different fans to loyalty?!!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Given the vast majority of managers ‘fail’, especially the ones at bigger clubs... then it’s a relatively safe assumption that he will. That’s not opinion, that’s just the harsh reality (and fickle nature) of modern football management.

We’ll never get another Fergie because we’ll never get anybody afforded that length of time.

Poch at Spurs might be the exception to that rule, but winning the Wenger Cup (whilst building a new stadium) is acceptable for small club like them ;)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Another Solskjaer quote - “agents are queuing up to offer players to us”. That’s exactly the point, it’s not that the players want to go there for footballing reasons any more, it’s that mercenary agents can see good deals for themselves and the mercenary players on their books, from a club that is a soft touch in the transfer market and prone to desperation moves to try and restore former glories. An agent’s dream...

And yes, most managers do fail. Arguably all but two United managers since the Second World War have failed... and it’s 108 years since a manager not called Busby or Ferguson brought a League title to Old Trafford (did they even play there that long ago?) :wink:

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

So using that precedence logic it's irrelevant who Woodward puts in charge then - they will ultimately fail regardless? Dear me, that's a bleak and depressing existence for all of us isn't it. May as well give up now then :roll:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

thebillfella wrote: 06 May 2019, 13:25 So using that precedence logic it's irrelevant who Woodward puts in charge then - they will ultimately fail regardless? Dear me, that's a bleak and depressing existence for all of us isn't it. May as well give up now then :roll:
It's funny isn't, it's almost like the root cause of all the problems is.... Woodward 🤔🤔🤔

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I see United are being strongly linked with Dybala from Juventus for £85M.

Seems an odd signing to start the rebuilding process. Hopefully, for your sake, it’s nonsense.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

thebillfella wrote: 06 May 2019, 13:25 So using that precedence logic it's irrelevant who Woodward puts in charge then - they will ultimately fail regardless? Dear me, that's a bleak and depressing existence for all of us isn't it. May as well give up now then :roll:
It’s bleak... but that’s the reality. That’s not to say that a perfect storm isn’t possible (and thankfully, the facts also point to the fact that having loads of money can definitely help too).

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Maldini wrote: 06 May 2019, 17:24 I see United are being strongly linked with Dybala from Juventus for £85M.

Seems an odd signing to start the rebuilding process. Hopefully, for your sake, it’s nonsense.
Agree and hope it is nonsense - exactly the already-established galactico mercenary signing with nothing to prove that has got us into this mess. What the eff has happened to our scouting system?

Unfortunately we are entering silly season for transfer rumours now so expect a lot more of this bollox in the next few months :roll:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”