To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - Ole Ole Ole Ole

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - the Mourinho 3rd season

Post by liquidfootball2 »

ED WOODWARD'S MOST OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL DEALS :)
2018-11-18-22-10-16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pulpfiction
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in phase dream team europe, 3rd november manager of the month

Post by pulpfiction »

Darbyand wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 21:42 Good article this from Danny Taylor, the current best in the business imo. Plenty of blame to go round and everyone gets a share. Woodward has been a disaster in the big job and in any other set-up would have been sidelined a long time ago.

Agreed.

Original with a bit of style. For example.

United have not had a fewer points total at this stage of a season since the year of Spike Island and the Strangeways riots. Of course Mourinho has been sacked. At any other elite club, he would have been sent to the guillotine long before now.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

They need a structure and a footballing philosophy, and a young, energetic manager to put it into practice on the pitch. Not another tired dinosaur with European trophies on his CV from a decade ago, and not the continuation of a scattergun approach of chasing big name players who may or may not be what they actually need, on the occasions they actually get them in?

Will they be brave enough to pick someone who they worry might not be "big enough" for the job though? Can Woodward really reform the football side of the business, or are Burmese noodle sales more important?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

thebillfella wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 20:38
blahblah wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 20:27 Pep wouldn't go for a lot of them imho due to tecnique\ego issues. It's not whether he'd go for them (he tried for Sanchez though), it's whether he could get a tune out of them if he inherited them. Just remember the ridicule Sterling got before Pep got hold of him

Pogba is ok playing deep for France as they have Griessman et al? They also have supposed trouble makers like Dembele. Not sure what the point is - he does it for France even when alongside Tolisso and NZonzi

Maybe Matic is more comfortable with Modric and Kov? He may be if he ever got the chance to play for Croatia :wink:

Jesse and Rashford need a Mata? Maybe Fred, but as above has he played enough? Maybe, but do they have a Mata when playing for England?

The whole Transfer stuff lacks coherence etc, so the squad is a mess, imho and Sanchez was just weird? (as posted at the time). Whatever the semantics etc Ewar is to blame as surely whoever writes the cheques should ask: why him, what is he going to bring etc? He's partly to blame; he isn't the main protagonist for the problems on the pitch. A bit damned if he does and damned if he doesn't there though don't you think - how much grief has he received for questioning the signings this summer? But yes, I think we all agree he needs someone to take over Director of Football responsibilities and just focus on commercial sponsorship deals which, to be fair, he is pretty good at

The Arsene idea is rather intriguing though? Not for me it isn't
Still on phone, but will reply more clearly point per point of you want, but I think we are agreeing...

Pep: would he have taken on that squad? Would he have got however much Ederson cost after however much Juliet Bravo cost? Without laptop and googling I guess he has spent loads on defenders? I sense that he picks the players to buy and is trusted... It will be Intersting to see if that unknown Dutch DM\CB gets match time. But fair to say Pep improves players?

Pogba: my point is that he is far more of a team player for France rather than le coq? Would he play so deep for a Club, or is that he will for the likes of Griessman and Dembele?

Matic: yes 😂 I realised just after submitting, but is it relevant? As per my comment re Souness above, how on earth are Chelsea still where they are? In theory they should have been well off the Top 4 a while back?

I can't claim to follow England, but GS has ditched the 3 atb to play go more 4-2-3-1 with an RLC\Ross type bod?

Ewar: anyone who signs off the cheque for a player who (allegedly) the manager wants, but has no idea where to play or how to utilise should go, imho.

Arsene until May is far from daft...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 22:16 ED WOODWARD'S MOST OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL DEALS :)

2018-11-18-22-10-16.jpg
Not sure of the point?

Is it the hiring and firing of bad managers?
Is it the fact Moyes is still being paid?

This isn’t unusual for football managers is it. Don’t they normally keep getting paid until they get another job or their contract runs out?

It was Gill that gave Moyes the 6 year contract.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Zimmerman wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 22:16 ED WOODWARD'S MOST OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL DEALS :)

2018-11-18-22-10-16.jpg
Not sure of the point?

Is it the hiring and firing of bad managers?
Is it the fact Moyes is still being paid?

This isn’t unusual for football managers is it. Don’t they normally keep getting paid until they get another job or their contract runs out?

It was Gill that gave Moyes the 6 year contract.
That was more in the way of a joke tbh

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 00:07 Arsene until May is far from daft...
More sensible than going for someone who lasted 5 months at Cardiff and currently manages in Norway, just because he once scored the winner for you in a Champions League final...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

As for Jose... will he manage an English side again? I’ve always felt the concluding part of a Chelsea trilogy is inevitable at some point, but the top clubs are unlikely to be on the phone in the immediate future. He did once say he’d manage England in his 60s, so only 5 years for us to wait for that one :wink:

For the time being, he needs to dust off that Teach Yourself Mandarin Chinese In 3 Weeks CD he probably got from Pogba in the Secret Santa...

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

forestfan wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:13
blahblah wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 00:07 Arsene until May is far from daft...
More sensible than going for someone who lasted 5 months at Cardiff and currently manages in Norway, just because he once scored the winner for you in a Champions League final...
Wenger is never going to take an interim role knowing full well someone else will be coming to replace him in May. Notwithstanding the fact that it is Arsene Wenger and the rivalry / incidents that have gone before. Never going to happen.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:24 As for Jose... will he manage an English side again? I’ve always felt the concluding part of a Chelsea trilogy is inevitable at some point, but the top clubs are unlikely to be on the phone in the immediate future. He did once say he’d manage England in his 60s, so only 5 years for us to wait for that one :wink:

For the time being, he needs to dust off that Teach Yourself Mandarin Chinese In 3 Weeks CD he probably got from Pogba in the Secret Santa...
It wouldn't surprise me if he quickly finds himself at Inter, Spalletti is surely on the borrowed time after their failure to see off PSV.

My impression is that the decision has been taken at the top to sack Mou, sideline Woodward by bringing in a Director of Football, and bringing in Ole. It shouts of corporate crisis management.

I feel the more important question is who will be the DoF, because they will spearhead the overall strategy, the manager is relegated to making tactical sense of the squad he is given. This is why I think Zidane will be willing to come as it'll be a structure equivalent to what he had at Real, but if Ole can show he has a long term vision then why not let him build under a DoF?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Keep seeing Paul Mitchell mentioned for DoF. Worked with Poch at Spurs. Born in Manchester (so a United fan, obviously). One to watch.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Tacalabala wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 10:26
forestfan wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:24 As for Jose... will he manage an English side again? I’ve always felt the concluding part of a Chelsea trilogy is inevitable at some point, but the top clubs are unlikely to be on the phone in the immediate future. He did once say he’d manage England in his 60s, so only 5 years for us to wait for that one :wink:

It wouldn't surprise me if he quickly finds himself at Inter, Spalletti is surely on the borrowed time after their failure to see off PSV.

My impression is that the decision has been taken at the top to sack Mou, sideline Woodward by bringing in a Director of Football, and bringing in Ole. It shouts of corporate crisis management.

I feel the more important question is who will be the DoF, because they will spearhead the overall strategy, the manager is relegated to making tactical sense of the squad he is given. This is why I think Zidane will be willing to come as it'll be a structure equivalent to what he had at Real, but if Ole can show he has a long term vision then why not let him build under a DoF?
Yes fully agree this has a move to the San Siro and Inter Milan written all over it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

RM have a vacancy in the summer?

OGS is more than a tad left field? Hughes will be disappointed?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: Manchester United Seasonal Blog 2018/19 - the OGS caretaker period

Post by thebillfella »

Well that was quick!

Not really sure what to expect in all honesty. By all accounts he is very attacking minded, which means the shackles should hopefully be released and may suit some of those players that maybe felt restricted. And he has coached at OT previously so may already know and have a rapport with some of the players there, and be more than aware of the importance of giving youth a chance?

That of course needs to be balanced and I have no idea how tactical / technical he is in this respect to be honest. And of course we have yet no idea how some of the more challenging players will take to him - will they be thankful for the freedom and take responsibility on the pitch or just recognise that he has a limited time there and down tools again as soon as they decide they don't fancy him?

Will be an interesting period...

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Britinus wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 17:06Get so fed up with so called pundits like Neville saying we demand to have Pochettino as M U's next manager, He's Tottenham's manager, says he's happy at Spurs so leave well alone.
Agree. Don't want him, anyway. Way overrated.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Have to say I like Pochettino - I think he ticks all the right boxes and is one of the best of the rest after you take Pep out of the equation IMO. The big elephant in the room there of course is Daniel Levy.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

thebillfella wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 16:24 Have to say I like Pochettino - I think he ticks all the right boxes and is one of the best of the rest after you take Pep out of the equation IMO. The big elephant in the room there of course is Daniel Levy.
getting Poch to sign that long term deal was a very valuable move. He is likely to be wanted by Real Madrid and Man Utd, possibly Atletico if Simeone moves on, and clearly has spending restrictions at Spurs. He is surely going to go. Opportunity of a lifetime. Nothing really against Spurs, just the way it is.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Neil Warnock would have been a far better option if what they both achieved at Cardiff is of any relevance. Maybe Ole is seen as more likely to get on with Pogba, or Pogba tells Ole how he wants to play. Still if Pogba has a good second half of the season, his value will go up more than the club lose on Jose.

Can't see Man U. making the top 4 from where they are, and quality managers would obviously like to play in the CL so attracting the best will be a problem there. Spurs are a club on the up and gaining worldwide plaudits from some of their CL performances. I can see them being more attractive to players looking for an English club with location and new stadium. The only advantage Man U. will have is the wages they will be prepared to offer to new players and a new manager. But isn't that where we are now?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

thebillfella wrote:Have to say I like Pochettino - I think he ticks all the right boxes and is one of the best of the rest after you take Pep out of the equation IMO. The big elephant in the room there of course is Daniel Levy.
Yes but with Real Madrid and Manchester United on the prowl he may like the shrewd operator he is, accept the inevitable and focus on the best bargaining position for compensation both declared and undeclared.

Levy won't make things easy by any means but we have seen recently just how much contracts actually mean nowadays, myself being an Everton supporter can point to the Marco Silva and Watford saga, once a manager has his head turned and wants to go it's pretty much futile to try to stop him, just get as much out of it as you can.

It's difficult to underestimate the global pull of Manchester United.

Since Jose Mourinho was sacked words to do with that story have been globally trending on twitter (over 24 hours now). They're a massive global force in sports, so while Spurs are on the up, they're not in the same ball park when it comes to size of sporting club. The operation, turnover and profits dwarf Spurs even with their shiny new stadium on the horizon.

Then there's the money aspect. Not just United affording to pay Pochettino double anything Spurs can, but also what they'd let him spend on players.

Just last summer Spurs gave Pochettino 0 transfer budget. They didn't sign a single player. Meanwhile over 2.5 years at United Jose spent over £400m.

Real Madrid are apparently Poch's dream job, he has a long affiliation and emotional bond to them, Daniel Levy might be difficult but Real might make it impossible

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

If Poch is the new chosen one and it happened I'd be more than happy with that. As you say a lot of other factors in play here.

If that wasn't an option, I guess the other key candidates in the frame are:

1. Zidane - can't argue with what he won at RM but how much was that down to him rather than the resources given to him / already at his disposal. Does he bring young players through? Does he play a more modern high tempo high press high work rate game? Not sure how many of the boxes he ticks?
2. Allegri - the experienced candidate. Would he leave Juve? Does he have the approach that suits the modern game and the modern footballer?
3. Simeone - not sure his pragmatic approach is in keeping with what we would like to see?
4. Blanc - available and knows the club. Other than that...?
5. Naglesmann - the new kid on the block and highly thought of but already bound for Leipzig?
6. Howe - too big a step I suspect but could backfill at Spurs maybe...?
7. Another - there's always one who comes out of nowhere to have an excellent run in European competition or domestic league and suddenly becomes flavour of the month (think Sarri last season - maybe somebody like the Ajax manager who seems to be doing well so far for example?). Risky.
Last edited by thebillfella on 19 Dec 2018, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Nice gentle start for Skolskjaer, no City away or Liverpool away testing trips over Christmas

Cardiff away
Huddersfield home
Bournemouth home
Newcastle away

If he doesn't make a decent start there then he really could be a disaster.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Pochettino the only name on United's list apparently and they're prepared to pay a world record fee in compensation to Spurs

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... wLW36rf4wf

I know its all if this happens then what if etc etc....

But there is now a very real possibility that Spurs will be looking for a new manager whether Poch goes to Madrid or Manchester, so who might they be looking at?

- but that's all for a different thread as here it is about United.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 22:14 Pochettino the only name on United's list apparently and they're prepared to pay a world record fee in compensation to Spurs

But there is now a very real possibility that Spurs will be looking for a new manager whether Poch goes to Madrid or Manchester, so who might they be looking at?

They can use my list above!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Pochettino the only name on United's list apparently and they're prepared to pay a world record fee in compensation to Spurs

Jose?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 00:31
liquidfootball2 wrote:Pochettino the only name on United's list apparently and they're prepared to pay a world record fee in compensation to Spurs

Jose?
The squad are too young for him to be interested? :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Are there any expectations re the OGS mini-era?

It still seems an odd appointment to me, and was he a "legend" last week?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

When it was first mooted on the radio, they were saying it’s close season (until the end of March) in Norway. Has he quit his other job or are they going to be flying without a pilot for 10 weeks until our season is over.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It does seem like an odd "loan", not to mention the RdM at Chelsea risk?

There has been a lot of drivel spouted and typed with my fave being that (Roy) Keane to kick their butt's wasn't a good idea as Jose has been doing that for however long, and they need some love and cuddles (well, maybe it wasn't expressed quite that romantically, lol).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, it’s a strange one.
Just the fact he’s relatively inexperienced. 6 years as a manager in Norway and a 6 month stint at Cardiff.

The fact they’ve brought Phelan in as an assistant. Why not Carrick and Phelan?

Or Is OGS genuinely having a trial pop at the job and he could get it full time if he does ok?

Maybe it’s a masterstroke. No pressure, no expectation, no baggage, no ego, no preconceptions from the players, the right level of respect from within the club and a fan favourite?

ie a Keane or Neville coming in or if say Gerrard gets the job at Liverpool one day (which he will) there’s too much of the above for it to ever work.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 19:52 It does seem like an odd "loan", not to mention the RdM at Chelsea risk?
What, the risk that they win the Champions League so have to appoint him permanently? I think they'd settle for that :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”