To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The most bitter World Cup thread ever (gets shot down in flames)

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Re: The most bitter World Cup thread ever (gets shot down in flames)

Post by trampie »

The English think this is a great standard World Cup and they have a great team, deluded. :roll:

This World Cup is great off the field [well done Russia] but the quality on the field has not been that good and England do not have a great team regardless what their press and fans think, deluded.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Not sure (all) England fans think it’s a great team.
It’s not just the English that think it’s been a great World Cup either.

Why’s it not great because some of the usual names have faltered? Good football is good football whether it’s pub football on a Sunday morning or champions football or international. Doesn’t matter who the protagonists are - if it’s good, exciting, competitive etc etc then it’s good.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Trampies baiting thread

Post by trampie »

The English fans on here continuing to delete posts from threads and change the title of threads and create their own threads and put other posters username to it is it :roll: , they are trying to control the parameters of debate to dictate the boundaries of that debate.

Seems like they don't like some home truths. :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m giving you a platform. I could choose to just delete it and give you a warning for trolling.

Do you want the thick skinned England fan or the moderator who’s a stickler for the Ts and Cs?

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Zimmerman wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 13:10 I’m giving you a platform. I could choose to just delete it and give you a warning for trolling.

Do you want the thick skinned England fan or the moderator who’s a stickler for the Ts and Cs?
I'm not trolling, I think this has been a low quality WC, with half the goals set pieces or own goals or defensive mistakes or VAR pens, not much creativity and terrible defending in this competition, you don't accept that and want to shut debate down, also on the hype front, I don't think England are all that good per their results in this WC [beating who they should beat and then losing both times when they meet a half decent team], Keane and Modric have spoken about the hype/English media straight after the game.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

You can get a good fight between two low quality boxers, entertainment and quality are two different commodities.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

If you bother reading other people’s posts, I think I’m agreeing with some of your points.

But I don’t agree that the World Cup has been bad.
I also don’t agree that a thread to specifically talk about the amount of players at the next tournament is platform for the posts in this thread.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 13:45 If you bother reading other people’s posts, I think I’m agreeing with some of your points.

But I don’t agree that the World Cup has been bad.
I also don’t agree that a thread to specifically talk about the amount of players at the next tournament is platform for the posts in this thread.
Yep, my view of England is similar to your one.

After the initial joy at the top lot going out: France absolutely spanking Belgium has shown how far the top half of the draw was\is ahead of the bottom though, so it is a matter of them (olde lot) declining rather than new ones improving, imho.

Uruguay (Cavani), and Colombia (losing Pen shoot out) were unlucky and Croatia (winning 2) were lucky along with those in the weak Half as almost any (not Swiss\Swedes) could\should have got to the Final. Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain were plain 5hite in varying degrees.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

2018 - Senior World Cup - 3rd or 4th :D
2017 - World Cup Qualification - finished unbeaten at the top of their group
------------------------------------------------
2017 World Cup Winners Under 20
2017 European Champions Under 19
2017 World Cup Winners Under 17

The future is very bright for English international football. We're good now...... and we're only going to get better :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Let’s hope so.

We won the U17 trophy in 2010... just Jack Butland from that squad was in Russia (and Ross Barkley the other remotely near the first team).

Also won it in 2014: none of them made it. Joe Gomez might have had a sniff had he not got injured.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

English hype

Post by trampie »

After all the hype surrounding England they ended up with 3 wins which included Tunisia in the last minute, a win against Panama and a win against Sweden, they got a draw against Columbia who were without their star player and then they lost to Croatia and Belgium twice.

Just what were the English media and fans getting carried away about ?

Just seen Jones, Stones and Maguire in todays match against Belgium, they must be the slowest back 3 to every play together in a World Cup finals, is Henderson their playmaker ?, is Sterling their match winner ?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I feel sorry for you. Had Wales qualified, there are very few Englishmen who wouldn't have wanted Wales to do well, genuinely backed them. There was genuine excitement in England at the run to the semis in the Euros. Fair and balanced criticism is welcomed, but when you take every opportunity to put the boot in, then I'm afraid you'll be ridiculed as a bitter isolationist.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Re: English hype

Post by Dennisthemenace »

trampie wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 17:20 After all the hype surrounding England they ended up with 3 wins which included Tunisia in the last minute, a win against Panama and a win against Sweden, they got a draw against Columbia who were without their star player and then they lost to Croatia and Belgium twice.

Just what were the English media and fans getting carried away about ?

Just seen Jones, Stones and Maguire in todays match against Belgium, they must be the slowest back 3 to every play together in a World Cup finals, is Henderson their playmaker ?, is Sterling their match winner ?
Hype?

There was very little hype. It was the least hyped England side in history!

True, we may have got carried away as we progressed, but that's what being a football fan is all about, otherwise what the hell are we watching it for? If we don't want the excitement of getting carried away when we do well, we may as well take up an activity that doesn't inspire any emotions. Like using our time to make daft comments on an internet messageboard :D

There's lot's to get excited about being an England fan. We've shown that we have a decent young side who've been unbeaten in qualification and reached the last four of this tournament. We have young talent coming through who are proven on the International stage within their age groups. It could be a very good decade.

The question is how does this talent get the experience so they can progress? Getting the youth set-up in this country to become what was a disaster to now being the envy of most of the footballing world is one thing, getting them to progress throughout their senior careers is another.

But plenty to look forward to and get excited about, and very interesting to see how this develops :D

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Tacalabala wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 17:44 I feel sorry for you. Had Wales qualified, there are very few Englishmen who wouldn't have wanted Wales to do well, genuinely backed them. There was genuine excitement in England at the run to the semis in the Euros. Fair and balanced criticism is welcomed, but when you take every opportunity to put the boot in, then I'm afraid you'll be ridiculed as a bitter isolationist.
I only do fair and balanced criticism, if England was worthy of praise in my book I would praise them, as soon as England ran into half decent teams in this comp they lost, they made the semi's because they were in the easy half of the draw, the English media were making out England were brilliant when that clearly wasn't the case, I have only pointed that out but it seems like English posters on here disagreed and thought England were brilliant, i'm sure judging by some of the more recent posts that some of those posters are now reappraising their position on how good England currently are.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Tacalabala wrote:I feel sorry for you. Had Wales qualified, there are very few Englishmen who wouldn't have wanted Wales to do well, genuinely backed them. There was genuine excitement in England at the run to the semis in the Euros. Fair and balanced criticism is welcomed, but when you take every opportunity to put the boot in, then I'm afraid you'll be ridiculed as a bitter isolationist.
Great post.

I know I was rooting for Wales against Portugal.

And I had Portugal in the work sweepstake!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Not sure many said we were “brilliant”, but we did better than expected, the draw helped but making the last four of a World Cup is never easy, and we’ve got something to build on. Even if this is as good as it gets for this lot, they’ve matched the 1990 side. Who themselves only beat Egypt, Belgium with the last kick of extra time, and Cameroon.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

forestfan wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:06 Not sure many said we were “brilliant”, but we did better than expected, the draw helped but making the last four of a World Cup is never easy, and we’ve got something to build on. Even if this is as good as it gets for this lot, they’ve matched the 1990 side. Who themselves only beat Egypt, Belgium with the last kick of extra time, and Cameroon.
Yes, i remember the hype then and those games.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Maldini wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:05
Tacalabala wrote:I feel sorry for you. Had Wales qualified, there are very few Englishmen who wouldn't have wanted Wales to do well, genuinely backed them. There was genuine excitement in England at the run to the semis in the Euros. Fair and balanced criticism is welcomed, but when you take every opportunity to put the boot in, then I'm afraid you'll be ridiculed as a bitter isolationist.
Great post.

I know I was rooting for Wales against Portugal.

And I had Portugal in the work sweepstake!
I've watched football [its not just football either its other sports also] for decades and the problem is the way the English media portray and report on their teams, this week we have had Roy Keane and Luka Modric passing comment.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Exactly, it's hard to take anyone seriously who so clearly follows a very obvious agenda of hating all things English.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:23
Exactly, it's hard to take anyone seriously who so clearly follows a very obvious agenda of hating all things English.
Not the case, nothing wrong with Bob Latchford or Frank Lampard.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Would that be because they both played for Swansea?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

It was probably weakest England squad player for player we have sent in my lifetime,expectation was they should get through to last 16, yes we had fair bit of luck way draw went, but to imply they did not perform far better than any expected is a stretch. Not seen todays game but have others, its in my view 2 maybe 3 players short of being a very good side.
Was it a poor event not to me it was entertaining, was it as skilful as others no , bu for sure better than a fair few have seen, we have a base to build on, not often as English man have thought that after a Tournament

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Tacalabala wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:35 Would that be because they both played for Swansea?
No not at all they were good players, particularly Frank Lampard.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

mikeg13 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:36 It was probably weakest England squad player for player we have sent in my lifetime,expectation was they should get through to last 16, yes we had fair bit of luck way draw went, but to imply they did not perform far better than any expected is a stretch. Not seen todays game but have others, its in my view 2 maybe 3 players short of being a very good side.
Was it a poor event not to me it was entertaining, was it as skilful as others no , bu for sure better than a fair few have seen, we have a base to build on, not often as English man have thought that after a Tournament
I agree mikeg13, I think it was probably the poorest England squad player for player in my lifetime also, there was some entertaining games in this WC but the standard of the World Cup as regards quality was low.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

The one we sent four years ago was surely weaker, the more recognisable names among them were well past their best.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

forestfan wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 19:47 The one we sent four years ago was surely weaker, the more recognisable names among them were well past their best.
What I meant but put badly was way players perceived by would think most fans not so much actual ability, no Gerrard or Lampard, Rooney etc Kane being only stand out in squad. Past squads were seen on paper to be contenders more often than not,squad sent from people I talk to given no chance.
Must admit enjoyed comp thought it was a good WC, different for many reasons but to me there were more enjoyable games than poor.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

mikeg13 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 18:36 It was probably weakest England squad player for player we have sent in my lifetime,expectation was they should get through to last 16, yes we had fair bit of luck way draw went, but to imply they did not perform far better than any expected is a stretch. Not seen todays game but have others, its in my view 2 maybe 3 players short of being a very good side.
But the sum was bigger than a few over-rated deluded expletives. Just dumping Rooney, Hart and not playing Cahil, Jones etc is a step forward, imho.

re last 16\8: the assumption was the first proper\decent side and hopefully Craoats at least go close tomorrow as they needed Pens vs Denmark and Russia who are hardly among the footballing elite. Why on earth did Belgium even vaguely try to win????? they would be all excited now looking forward to the Final :roll:

Tactic wise: Henderson was never going to be able to protect the back 3 against a reasonable midfield\attack and so it proved. I got panned here for saying he should have Dier with him in the early matches as if we can't score then, then what chance against the better sides.... And here is the problem: Jesse and Alli aren't up to it, imho, and while RLC looked quite good\promising today it would have been a brave call to play him with Sterling behind Kane and 2 DM's?

That said they are playing like a proper team rather than the 5hite I have seen since the mid 70's. (Excluding '82 before Keegan and Brooking were brought in to miss open goals vs Germany)

Gk: more than good enough, and I sense sufficient back up will emerge from Soton as well as the Burnley 2.

CB's: they can only get better, and hopefully Keane will have a good season at Everton

WB's: Right is more than OK with TAA to (hopefully) kick on, but not so sure about the left.

CM: a ball winner type and tempo controller etc type are distinctly lacking, atm. Or a 3 will be needed, and I would go for 2 DM's - hopfully Foden(sp) will kick on and be able to link in front of them.

For: Controversially, I'm not that big on Kane, but not sure why.... When Sterling is finishing then I see why Pep treats him like his love-child as the fear he strikes in defences is obvious.

Hopefully the press will stay off Southgate's back and let him bring more kids through, and ditto their back and let them grow\evolve.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Here in France, the build up to the Final is going well.
It's their 3rd final in the last 20 years. Why? you English must be asking. To me it's been obvious and I've said it before.
I can go for a walk in the village, a small one at that and have a kick around on their football pitches. All are flat and provided with floodlights, even all the training pitches. Visit any village around here, including the ones in the hills, you'll find the same thing.
The team represents the village and ALL are welcome to join in and play. We don't have the Duck & Drake against the Queens Arms. The football clubs are public NOT private.
Our region is a training ground for football greats. Example, Pogba and Mahrez and there are plenty more, were learning their trade and gaining experience here. Why? Young kids are encouraged to find their dream. We have mini-tournaments all the time. You know, first games in league format, then knock out. From whipper snapper to full grown adult, they gain 'tournament experience.'
Is it here where the difference is? The facilities are provided and paid for by the local council. They are available to all sports. You can set up an association for anything and use the facilities. The Association can also set up a private account, with association spending rules. Many people create their own business this way.
The French play as a group and they appreciate what's provided. I don't know how the German system works, or the Spanish but they seem to provide similar conditions.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I have often wondered if it would be better if England done away with league formats in youth levels and went with a autumn and spring tournament each season instead.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”