To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 81.

Sorry for a late report but I’ve been having a St Patrick’s of a time. It’s now a three in one analysis.
We started with a father of a game as we came back from 2-1 down to beat the Lions of London 3-2.
We holy ghosted the second match against Birmingham repeating the QPR episode with a 1-0 loss.
Then, finished it off with a ‘well done son’ performance against the play off hopefuls Preston, 2-0.
If I should write a letter tonight it would start, ‘Deer Bambi’.

I’ve been saying for a while he looked two yards off the pace. Is he going to deliver the goods at the right time? His season stats show 8 goals in 11 starts. I feel as though we’re being Andertoned, or Darrened, if you what to put it another way. We’ve even got Browned off people on the bench.
I know it doesn’t sound a lot but Bamford has been the biggest investment Leeds have done since buying Fowler. Yes, it’s shocking isn’t it?
After being hogged by Chelsea for his potential, he headed North to Middlesboro whilst Orta was still working there. He is Orta’s baby. Orta had been heavily criticised for his purchases at the Riverside and he has accepted he’d made mistakes but Bambi he has faith in.
This team is starting to remind me of the Revie days. People say they were great times yet my memories are of falling at the last hurdle. Losing Cup Finals in extra time and Titles on goal average didn’t help. Success and failure are so closely linked. There is one thing I know for certain, I do enjoy the ride. By the time Leeds play Wednesday on Saturday, if the Blades stay Sharp they’ll be 4 points ahead of the Whites.
Tonight results reinforce the 2 from 3 theory. WBA have blown the automatic as Bristol consolidated a play off position. Villa will be happy with those results as Derby stumbled again. Middlesbrough are still hanging on.
Reading visit Norwich in their next match and they need it more than the Canaries. I’m off to the bookies.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Well, Reading almost did Leeds a massive favour but in the end it was only a small favour... Reading defended really well in the 2nd half but you could feel the equaliser coming. Norwich then going ahead was harsh. We fought to the end though, something we wouldn't have done at times earlier in the season.

The big question of the night - Why are Championship referees so rubbish? Norwich players conned him time and again tonight.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 82

The table looks rather different this morning. I sense a happiness emanating from the Leeds fans.

Stop.

The fat lady is just making her way to the stage. Sometimes she stumbles or even drops her microphone. The Canaries are already tweeting as the Peacocks are pruning their feathers for their final display. The Baggies and the Blades are still challenging for that 2nd automatic promotion spot.

The Blades are hitting crisis point. If you could pick three players to remove from their team, it would be Sharp, Basham and Egan. Wilder is going to have to do a Bielsa and ride the results with his squad use. This is a test of character.

What is surprising is how Leeds are up there without an out and out striker. If Leeds had just one of Pukki, Sharp, Gayle, Rodriguez, Adams, Maupay, Abraham or Bowen the title would have been settled by now. The amount of chances Bamford, Roberts and Roofe have had has not given the expected returns. Maybe it’s down to the Bielsa style but it’s a question worth asking. Overall it is reassuring to know the team can do it without.

Two clean sheets on the trot for Leeds is a pleasant surprise as they have continued their 100% record of winning when scoring first. That is 20 games now. The result condemned Villa to the play off spots.

It was another dominating performance against Wednesday, yet that cutting edge was applied just once. Confusion was maybe caused by swapping Roofe for Bamford. On the next attack, Harrison steered the ball in to the far side of the net. The defence had lost their concentration for that split second. Phew!

Four games to go, three wins and a draw would take them up. The Whites are still 3 goals down on the goal difference. If they manage a big score, they may just need three wins.

Wigan arrive at Elland Road on Friday, having one day less to recover. Fighting relegation isn’t helped when you have to face Leeds straight after Norwich. Here’s hoping for Pie’s in the Sky today, those of the Wigan brand not Pukki’s.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 83

It’s that yearly Easter weekend again, where the regular crucifixions and resurrections happen each season. This time the Whites are in the thick of it, instead of the usual skirmishes at the edge of the play off spots. Cooper looks likely to miss the match so how appropriate it would be for Pontus to pilot the defence.
We stand precariously in between the positions of tragedy and hope. We will probably know which position applies by Monday evening.
I’ve seen fans counting chickens whilst other calmer ones are transferring their bubbly from the cellar in to the fridge.
I’ve been here too many times to be that optimistic.
I’ll start watching the match against Wigan with that old phrase in mind,
‘Have respect for your piers.’
They are in the heat of the relegation battle as their adversaries were expecting them to get zero points against Norwich and Leeds. They are one point up already. Their hope could be Leeds’ tragedy.
Reading, Rotherham, Millwall and even Birmingham would want Leeds to do their duty. Rotherhams match on Monday against Birmingham seems to be the clincher. Birmingham have Reading on the last day, whilst Millwall will have Wigan. Wigan play Birmingham in their penultimate match. That guarantees points will be won by the clubs in this relegation melee.
I’m still going by the faith I put in to Reading to finish outside the bottom six.
As a prediction before the Easter fixtures, I think it’s between Rotherham and Wigan for the drop. Wigan have it in their own hands but do they have the soul to gamble?
The Whites are 3 down on goal difference to the Blades. An ideal result for Leeds would be any score above 3-0. Most importantly it’s the 3 points that count.
I’m going for a dull, frustrating 1-0 win.
Happy Easter to everybody.

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

Looking forward to episode 84. :mrgreen:

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

jimmy ching wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 11:50 Bielsabub Babes 83

It’s that yearly Easter weekend again, where the regular crucifixions and resurrections happen each season. This time the Whites are in the thick of it, instead of the usual skirmishes at the edge of the play off spots. Cooper looks likely to miss the match so how appropriate it would be for Pontus to pilot the defence.
We stand precariously in between the positions of tragedy and hope. We will probably know which position applies by Monday evening.
I’ve seen fans counting chickens whilst other calmer ones are transferring their bubbly from the cellar in to the fridge.
I’ve been here too many times to be that optimistic.
I’ll start watching the match against Wigan with that old phrase in mind,
‘Have respect for your piers.’
They are in the heat of the relegation battle as their adversaries were expecting them to get zero points against Norwich and Leeds. They are one point up already. Their hope could be Leeds’ tragedy.
Reading, Rotherham, Millwall and even Birmingham would want Leeds to do their duty. Rotherhams match on Monday against Birmingham seems to be the clincher. Birmingham have Reading on the last day, whilst Millwall will have Wigan. Wigan play Birmingham in their penultimate match. That guarantees points will be won by the clubs in this relegation melee.
I’m still going by the faith I put in to Reading to finish outside the bottom six.
As a prediction before the Easter fixtures, I think it’s between Rotherham and Wigan for the drop. Wigan have it in their own hands but do they have the soul to gamble?
The Whites are 3 down on goal difference to the Blades. An ideal result for Leeds would be any score above 3-0. Most importantly it’s the 3 points that count.
I’m going for a dull, frustrating 1-0 win.
Happy Easter to everybody.
what else than tragedy.... it was fun as long as it lasted...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Wigan, of all clubs... 10 man Wigan at that. And a missed penalty too. Fortunately Rotherham lost and Reading got a spirited draw.

Wasn't planning on going to the Madejski on Monday as it's the big Hampshire derby - Farnborough v Basingstoke - but it could be the day we seal out Championship survival for another season.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Jimmy, what happened :shock: :(

Looking at the run ins :-

Leeds have Brentford away (nothing to play for, Leeds win), Villa at home (looks very tough) and Ipswich away (looks like 3 points)

Sheff Utd have Hull away (tough-ish), Ipswich home (3 points) and Stoke away (Stoke nothing to play for, could be on the beach)

So arguably Sheffield have the easier run in but who knows ?

Looks like Albion v Villa in the play offs which could be very tasty. As for the 6th place team, that's too tight to call.

Sad day for Bolton. They need a complete CTR ALT DEL moment and start afresh. Those financial problems looks crippling mind. Looks like Rotherham will be the third of the three, although stranger things have happened.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Villa look bankers to win the play-offs on current form. As for West Brom, they shouldn’t even be allowed in them with a caretaker manager in charge... sacking your manager when you’re 4th in the table is crazy enough, but doing so without even a plan for replacing him? What exactly are they going to do if they go up :?

A home match against us was always a banker for the Blunts but it seems Leeds have well and truly blown their chance by somehow losing to 10-man Wigan. The fixture list doesn’t favour them though there have been plenty of twists in that race. Norwich, seemingly sponsored by Alex Ferguson Promotions, edge closer to the top flight with another goal three weeks into injury time! I think it’s going to be the weakest crop of promoted sides for a while though, nobody stands out as being good enough for the Premier League without substantial investment.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 84

I can’t get that Bee Gees song out of my head.
I don’t want to hang around too long up here on Calvary. Pontus had washed his hands of defensive responsibility, Pablo posted his penalty not that it should have been given. Morsi was feeding Massey morsels and he wolfed them down. Wigan deserved this.
Again Leeds just kept on attacking and how ironic that some Leeds fans still call the Blades, Blunts. This Leeds attack would struggle against Butterkrust FC.
Bambi did score a good one though. Wigan’s goalie stopped everything else.
I still believe in fairytales. There could still be a resurrection.
Suddenly I’m starting to look at that last play off spot. It looks like our get out of jail play off card may have to be played. It’s sitting in Pandora’s box though.
I don’t want to have to open it but if needs be.
By the time Villa come to Elland Road, places may have been settled. It might just be a dress rehearsal.
I’m expecting a crazy finish. I’m still hoping for the drama of the slip ups and glory goals.
I’d prefer to benefit from the latter.
The top three all have away games Monday. Norwich go to Stoke, Sheffield derby at Hull and Leeds travel to Brentford.
Middlesbrough, Bristol and Derby, look like the 3 for the final play off spot, joining the likely Villa and WBA.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

If Leeds go up then who is going to post on this thread? I guess as Huddersfield are down perhaps Maldini will be back...

At least Reading look like they will beat the drop now, even if it's on goal difference over Rotherham (and Millwall are below us too!)

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

Let’s hope they don’t then. :mrgreen:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

We’re still around, now the division’s longest serving team (alongside that lot up the road assuming they don’t go up...) Today offered some hope for next season as well as a “why can’t they produce this every week”...

Might as well make it an EFL thread next season to bring in the League One and Two fans?

Leeds will almost certainly still be around next season now, I wonder if Bielsa will stick around for another season? Norwich and Sheff Utd will be cannon fodder in the Prem, Villa (who look nailed on play-off winners) might be competitive if they invest.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:07 Don't Bielsa 's team's struggle at the end of the season - with fitness\stamina the issue? (I read something like this when he took over.) If true then yep the Press will muller him come Spring.
Was what I read right this season too?

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

forestfan wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 20:13 We’re still around, now the division’s longest serving team (alongside that lot up the road assuming they don’t go up...)
It's certainly a record I wish we could have kept hold of. I certainly hope we don't stick around in League One for 17 years!!!

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

forestfan wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 20:13 We’re still around, now the division’s longest serving team (alongside that lot up the road assuming they don’t go up...)
It's certainly a record I wish we could have kept hold of. I certainly hope we don't stick around in League One for 17 years!!!

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Only just discovered this thread and I'll be here next season, watching QPR concede goals post 90th minute week after week.

Could be some powers coming up from League 1 to make things competitive at the top.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 20:13 We’re still around, now the division’s longest serving team (alongside that lot up the road assuming they don’t go up...) Today offered some hope for next season as well as a “why can’t they produce this every week”...

Might as well make it an EFL thread next season to bring in the League One and Two fans?

Leeds will almost certainly still be around next season now, I wonder if Bielsa will stick around for another season? Norwich and Sheff Utd will be cannon fodder in the Prem, Villa (who look nailed on play-off winners) might be competitive if they invest.
Dare I ask whose place you took over?

Sounds like at least 2 relegation spots will be booked next month, but is there any likely to be any FF value?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 85

It’s Norwich, Sheffield United and Villa who are favourites to go up now.
The last time Leeds played Villa at Wembley it was the Brolin final. It was an embarrassing 3-0 result. In fact all the Wembley matches against the likes of Doncaster, Watford Villa and Sunderland have been fruitless. The only team they’ve beaten there, is Arsenal, twice.
It was another poor performance by Leeds last night. It follows the likes of QPR, Birmingham and Wigan who sprung a surprise. These performances have had a taste of last season servings.
Bielsa had inherited a poor squad. Additions were minimal. He’s managed to turn the boys in to men over the season. He’s moved them up a gear and taken them to the next level. Could he expect to be able to move up another notch with the same squad? I very much doubt it. Just a few of the squad would be able manage it.
Of all his pupils, the one that has shown the ability to learn has been Phillips. He was dropped for yesterdays match. There must have been a good reason.
I hate this third place heartache. To start the end of the season mini tournament on a downer doesn’t help. I suppose some call it momentum.
Here’s hoping they won’t be remembered as Bielsa’s Team that never was.
With possibly another 5 games to go, all I can say is
‘In Bielsa we trust’

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 07:49
forestfan wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 20:13 We’re still around, now the division’s longest serving team (alongside that lot up the road assuming they don’t go up...) Today offered some hope for next season as well as a “why can’t they produce this every week”...

Dare I ask whose place you took over?u

Sounds like at least 2 relegation spots will be booked next month, but is there any likely to be any FF value?
Well, Pukki has been scoring for fun, can he cut it in the top flight? Can’t see Billy Sharp doing so, though anything Glenn Murray can do, I suppose...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Bolton’s game at Brentford called off due to their players refusing to play after still not being paid for last month.

Although their last two games against Brentford and Forest are both essentially meaningless, the EFL have said they have to be played, so it could be a team of kids going to the City Ground next week. I was just checking the potential impact in the probably unlikely event of them being expunged, but the top three have all taken 6 points from them so no change in that sense.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 17:35 At least Reading look like they will beat the drop now, even if it's on goal difference over Rotherham (and Millwall are below us too!)
Yeah we are safe after last week's results, even if technically we need another point to be mathematically there. Should be an interesting summer, after Jose's January loan signings proved excellent and are all now part of the first XI. Expect a few of them to become permanent signings, plus a big clearout of deadwood ahead of any new signings.

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

Can’t wait to get back to Championship football and proper fans.

Virtually every game is competitive and not playing against teams where their goalkeeper cost more than your entire squad.

Winning promotion to the Premier League was the best day I’ve ever had as a Huddersfield fan. The two years since that brilliant day, continually struggling, week in, week out, have been tiresome.

Roll on the 2019/20 season. See you in August.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Maldini wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 13:37 Can’t wait to get back to Championship football and proper fans.

Virtually every game is competitive and not playing against teams where their goalkeeper cost more than your entire squad.

Winning promotion to the Premier League was the best day I’ve ever had as a Huddersfield fan. The two years since that brilliant day, continually struggling, week in, week out, have been tiresome.

Roll on the 2019/20 season. See you in August. Image
Huddersfield were in the 'Premiership' when I started following football. I discovered Ramsden and Fartown, Nylon, Chapman and Shankly. What more can be said?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Must be really demoralising having a season like that, particularly where you rarely even threaten to score... going up and staying there was an impressive achievement but when it ends like this I guess it takes the shine off, and there’s a real risk that turning around the losing habit proves impossible and they fall straight through the Championship.

We all have to dream big though, even if it’s likely to take a multi-billionaire to really make it stick these days. :|

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It was in Huddersfield, an aquaintance of mine, designed a stadium for Oldham Athletic for his final Architectural project. This was before Oldham had the new stadium. He was a real fan. At the time, Oldham were riding high. How cruel can life be, his wife was an avid Leicester fan. I wonder if they are still together.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I've come to the conclusion Huddersfield is a real football town.

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

Congratulations to Sheffield United.

Enjoy the achievement because I suspect you’ll have a very similar experience to us (probably not quite as bad ).

Yep FF, I think we’ll more likely be battling to avoid relegation than challenging for the play-offs.

The manager’s lack of experience on top of the squad being completely shot of confidence, doesn’t bode well.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Maldini wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:16 The manager’s lack of experience on top of the squad being completely shot of confidence, doesn’t bode well. Image
Yeah, it’s a tricky one with an unknown quantity as a manager, but would you rather be starting the season with a Big Sam/Pulis etc. in charge?

The “usual suspect” British managers seem to have fallen out of favour this season - I suppose it’s because fans demand more than their “pragmatic” brand of football even if it tends to bring results to an extent.

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by Maldini »

And well done to Norwich City!

Another ex Dortmund coach works his magic. They must put something in the Bratwurst over there.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”