To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by bluenosey »

Not looking good for Ipswich and I fear for their manager Blah :( That being said the time is right to make a change, if the board sanction it.

Still looking wide open overall - both Leeds and West Brom came unstuck. Norwich seem to have hit a run of form all of a sudden.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Tbh: I haven't even followed them on the highlights for years and the last time I went was back in Keane's time and it was shocking.

As above "it's all about the kids" and for years I have had a nagging thing about relegation may be for the long term good.....

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 33

Before the match started,my fear was Bielsa is creating a NPC (non-player character ) meme team. You can know his team, his systems and his listed responses. There seems to be only one that is benefitting from the programing and he is still Kliched in.

Alioski.exe.cross, Roberts.exe.miss.

It needed changing. Alioski was moved to full back, Harrison returned and Hernandez started.
Saiz.exec.pass, Hernandez exe.cross, Roofe.exe.head? GOOALL!
Henandez.exe.pass, Cooper.exe.sh­ot. 2-0

There is one thing for certain the Championship is far from an NPC friendly environment.
How are Leeds top?
There must be a virus going around. Who’s infecting who?
WBA are hoping they can find their back up to Demolition Derby.
Hull ran out of batteries again, Preston produced a fracking result and Forest did a smash and Grabban.

Am I the only one who’s confused?
Bielsa must be in disbelief staring at the table. It’s funny how your words can come back to bite you.

“I have the resources and the authority to improve things and if I can’t do that it will be my responsibility.”

The players have responded and got the result

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The Champ is easy for a manager with a few functioning brain cells, imho and from what I have read he is a cut above the hoofers and respected by the best?

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

Town looked so poor tonight once again. Only a matter of time until Hurst goes, which is a shame as he's worked really hard for his chance but he's totally ballsed it up!

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

get_on_my_cocker wrote:Town looked so poor tonight once again. Only a matter of time until Hurst goes, which is a shame as he's worked really hard for his chance but he's totally ballsed it up!
And now he's gone

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Mick..................MICK.............MICK!!!!!!!!! Where are you?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

jimmy ching wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:50 Mick..................MICK.............MICK!!!!!!!!! Where are you?
Ooooh, Blah won' be happy to hear that :D

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Overall, another pretty set of random midweek results. It's always been anyone can beat anyone but this year it seems to the power of ten.

Ten points cover first to eighteenth :shock: . The top six separated by two points.
Last edited by bluenosey on 25 Oct 2018, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

jimmy ching wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:50 Mick..................MICK.............MICK!!!!!!!!! Where are you?
NO :cry: :cry: :cry:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Ipswich Town in talks with former canaries boss Paul Lambert over their vacant manager's job.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 22:27 Ipswich Town in talks with former canaries boss Paul Lambert over their vacant manager's job.
and he thought he was bigger than Colchester. Suffolking what?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

QPR winning again.

Since Koeman was sacked the premier league hasn't had a Dutch manager....so could, maybe, just maybe, Shteve McClaren be about to put that right?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 34

Forest, just 4 points off the top, come to Elland Road in an expectant mood. I’ve seen quite a few of these fixtures over the years. Forest with Shilton were the best. It was so depressing seeing all the effort and sometimes excellence not being enough to get past Peter. The League Cup seemed to produce classic clashes in this fixture. But this is the League and that Warnock performance was shame full. 3-7 is not a football score.

Berardi is out and it could be a while. Douglas is still out but is nearing fitness. Alioski and Dallas will be considered for defensive duties. Jansson, well what a week. He’ll be back on Saturday fresh from his suspension and no doubt wanting to devote this weekends performance to his wife and new born.
Saiz is looking tired, he’s on 4 yellows and Forshaw is snapping at his heels. Harrison was looking a little lost in the last game as Hernandez turned on the style.
Grabban is starting to become consistent for Forest. Their result at Middlesbrough was excellent. They cruised past Bolton away and Brentford are their only away defeat this season.
I get the feeling this match has come too quick for Bielsa.
My prediction is 1-2. Grabban laying on Lolley in the last 10.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Derby have a friend in George. They're looking really impressive again pressing high and forcing errors. Exploited Boro's three at the back by going wide. Boro have had a little more success since going to a four.

What a start for Lampard, and what a week for him if they win this.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

liquidfootball2 wrote:Derby have a friend in George. They're looking really impressive again pressing high and forcing errors. Exploited Boro's three at the back by going wide. Boro have had a little more success since going to a four.

What a start for Lampard, and what a week for him if they win this.
Bogle returns the favour for Boro.

Carson really is an extremely poor keeper.

Tbf its fully deserved for Boro, only one team in it this half.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Lump that Lampard. Don't Ogle when defending :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 19:14
So now we have the bod who was scared to play Hoolahan :roll: Yippeeeee another hoofball foooookwit

Did he get Benteke firing at Villa? If so, he might be available on loan in January :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really cnt be assed looking up why he left Villa: the demise continues :| :| :| :| :|

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

After all the congratulations with the promoted teams all staying up last season, a quick look at the prem league table now, and how things change...

Wolves have made it two defeats in two

Watford and now the mighty Brighton (promoted last season) have beaten the early season shock successes, could it be the traditional story of promoted teams?.....

Set the league alight early on and down with the Christmas decorations?

Remember Blackpool up there at Christmas and relegated or

Hull under Phil Brown who had taken more points than Wolves at this stage, but just scraped survival at the very last gasp after sinking like a stone after Christmas

Now Wolves are 9th, but could be bottom half after this weekend, with the other promoted teams Fulham and Cardiff already at the bottom and last seasons promoted teams, Newcastle and Huddersfield joining in the fun, it just shows how big the gap really is. If you survive a season it's still just as tough the next. (Second season syndrome?)

This below is probably absolute garbage considering Fulham's chairman's words and i wouldn't be surprised if it was all just completely made up, so treat with the maximum of contempt!!!

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has been given two games to save his job after the Cottagers slipped into the bottom three of the Premier League following a 4-2 defeat by Cardiff City.

(Source: Times) https://t.co/ONvhBI9ALe Jokanovic on strings now

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I mentioned Second Season Syndrome in the summer, and asked what happened when all 2 stayed up before - I'm not sure if it was answered though.

Fulham looked OK preseason, and Wolves defence looked AWOL, but this seems to be reversed. I didn't start the Relegation Thread until nearer\around Xmas (I think last season): maybe the time is nigh:
Fulham: those last two goals, and the Macdonald thing were REALLY BAD, even if the Pen, which I didn't see was soft. It was like the 45 mins of Wolves I watched preseason (1st half of last friendly). They didn't look that dangerous, which is as worrying, beyond some good Schurrle touches. In fact, scrub the" not that" and replace with "at all". It was aimless passing around the Bou Pen box, which did have 9\10 players defending it and Ful were just ripped pen when they gave the ball away..... DOOMED without a DM and some CB's, and it would help if he picked a defence and stuck with it. I am pretty sure it was changed again, not to mention the GK making his debut.
Cardiff: DOOMED huffing and puffing ain't going to be enough (I hope).
Hudds: as per elsewhere inc my "rmt" they aren't doing that bad compared to the same fixtures as last season, and I think today was the first dropped points vs that total. Why hasn't Klippity lent his Best Man Solanki? Is Mooy an Ozzie or Kiwi? If the former he should be off to the Asia cup for January, which is decidedly bad news for them.
Newcastle: smellier than a skunk's Baked Beans and Curry party. IF they stay up then it will be down\up to Rafa and the defence. Arguably whoever scores the least few will be above the other and will stay up.
Palace and Soton: pretty much HuddToon lite, and will be lying in wait if two of the above improve then whoever cores least few of these will be down.

I can see a record low of points needed to stay up this season (which I measure as 1 more than the 3rd Bottom club) because those in that list are BAD. To clarify CP: they still haven;t scored a goal at home?

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

blahblah wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 15:52
So now we have the bod who was scared to play Hoolahan :roll: Yippeeeee another hoofball foooookwit

Did he get Benteke firing at Villa? If so, he might be available on loan in January :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really cnt be assed looking up why he left Villa: the demise continues :| :| :| :| :|
Amazingly, he's had a decent win percentage at his last 6 clubs (although 29.6% at Villa isn't fantastic!). If he finishes the season with a 30% win percentage at the end of the season, I'll be happy with that!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

get_on_my_cocker wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 18:20
blahblah wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 15:52

Amazingly, he's had a decent win percentage at his last 6 clubs (although 29.6% at Villa isn't fantastic!). If he finishes the season with a 30% win percentage at the end of the season, I'll be happy with that!
Hmmm nowt here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lambert to impress me.....

Strange as he was a footballing mid with Collins? Btw I'd take the latter every time.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Dirty cheating Leeds.
VAR is desperately needed when you have players prepared to cheat as blatantly as that and the ref/linesman have their eyes shut

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

nffc wrote:Dirty cheating Leeds.
VAR is desperately needed when you have players prepared to cheat as blatantly as that and the ref/linesman have their eyes shut
Exactly (on VAR) i've been banging this drum since before the world cup and the crazy decision of the premier league not to have it.

The championship, in theory and if expenses or resources needed wasn't an issue, should have it regardless of whatever the premier league clubs voted for, but in reality the premier league will have to have it before (or at the same time as) the championship.

A real travesty that goal, and i noted that the referee was in no position to even judge there was anything doubtful about the goal, and therefore may well have not called for VAR, even if it had have been available.

When it comes, it needs to operate independently of the referee calling for it imo, the Arsenal Everton (Jon Moss), City Burnley (Jon Moss) and tonight's Leeds Forest games provide ample proof, poor or unsighted officials can't be allowed to run a system to correct their own mistakes.

Incidentally dreading tomorrow when a certain Jon Moss referees United vs Everton, he's one referee clearly not upto the job.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 28 Oct 2018, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm still struggling with Culture Clubs drummer to be to blame, and (allegedly\apparently) he did inspire George to pen Do you really want to hurt me.

Re non-top tier VAR and less unseriously: isn't it down to the number of tv cameras, the speed of the feed and having enough bods (who really don't need to wear the kit) watching the matches? I doubt 1 per match is enough, and 2 is indecisive so 3 covering upto 20ish matches means 60 plus the 4 per match, so 140 "experts"?

If it is implemented in a way that the ref can summon "VAR" then it would be an improvement. However I wouldn't be surprised if this led to even more cowardice than at the WC ie anything vaguely dodgy being VAR'ed by the ref and taking minutes to be watched. By cowardice I mean (from the WC) that French pen from a slight touch being "VAR"'ed was a joke when Argentina(?) had a blatant hack not given as the Ref's never went against VAR? If they did then let me know as it was hideously annoying....

I am erring on the cricket side re a fixed number of challenges, although that has been watered down re LBW's and a margin of error admitted, which is why I didn't like it when introduced: computers and the programs really aren't that good... Obviously every goal should have an element of backtracking re offsides just like wickets are checked for No Balls. (Apologies for rambling tangents etc, but this is my point re cowardice and refs sending anything vaguely dodgy to VAR: umpires don't even bother looking for No Balls nowadays, which means more are bowled, so more wickets are taken from such deliveries. If the Umpire isn't looking for them, then why not have a camera and the Umpire getting a buzz every time one is bowled?)

It would help if the "Experts" weren't so shite: both were castigating the ref over sending Noble off, then when they saw the replay there was audible gasping and "that was a red"...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Some good points blah, and tbf there has always been an issue raised with how far back to you go?

For me you can't really re-referee too far back as it just invites it all to get completely out of hand. So for example if a corner or free-kick is given incorrectly leading up to a goal then it should really stay, the free kick or corner can still be defended properly.

A penalty for me is the only leadup where an adjudication is necessary where a mistake may have been made, although I realise dangerous free kicks on the edge could have some arguing for there inclusion too. I think a clear separation between how penalties and other set pieces are treated would stop any possibility of boundaries between what could and should be ruled on getting too blurred and unclear, as to what and what isn't a dangerous free-kick, it has to be all or nothing in the leadup to set pieces being taken other than pens.

Offsides should always be looked at where they occurred within the final part of scoring the goal or the move leading up to it, but not to any leadup to a previous free kick, corner or throw-in, so along the same lines.

Yes there were definitely some injustices and poor outcomes with VAR even using the system the World Cup operated, and I'm in agreement over you calling some of those howlers. Any new system will still unfortunately always be imperfect and possibly very much so initially, and yes there will still unfortunately be howlers and real injustices but as with other sports it will get far better and it has to be better than now. People looking for a complete eradication of dreadful decisions will I'm afraid be very disappointed.

In cricket, howlers were still made while the systems was perfected and the officials became familiar with the technology. I was always of the view that it would be well worth it if only persevered with and the technology would improve. Its still not 100% perfect, it never will be, but it's such a massive game changing improvement it's largely been responsible for umpires being more confident in giving people out.

Spinners at last are getting more like their due reward and batsmen are no longer just padding out. The days of the umpire being a ''not outer' are gone.

Absolutely to the no ball issue in cricket, they aren't looked at at all, and for me at the first class level in games were there is a third umpire this is exactly how it should be. The third umpire should adjudicate via a camera on the front foot the normal ones at each end for backfoot noballs, The umpire on the field has a hell of a job concentrating on what goes on at the business end and can't possibly be very accurate anyway.

Most county matches won't include any review systems and the umpire can only really give it when he obviously oversteps and mistakes aren't uncommon but are really unavoidable.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 28 Oct 2018, 08:03, edited 2 times in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 21:39 In cricket, howlers were still made while the systems was perfected and the officials became familiar with the technology. I was always of the view that it would be well worth it if only persevered with and the technology would improve. Its still not 100% perfect, it never will be, but it's such a massive game changing improvement it's largely been largely responsible for umpires being more confident in giving people out.

Spinners at last are getting more like their due reward and batsmen are no longer just padding out. The days of the umpire being a ''not outer' are gone.

Absolutely to the no ball issue in cricket, they aren't looked at at all, and for me at the first class level in games were there is a third umpire this is exactly how it should be. The third umpire should adjudicate via a camera on the front foot the normal ones at each end for backfoot noballs, The umpire on the field has a hell of a job concentrating on what goes on at the business end and can't possibly be very accurate anyway.

Most county matches won't include any review systems and the umpire can only really give it when he obviously oversteps and mistakes aren't uncommon but are really unavoidable.
I'll reply properly about football in the morning as about to watch a film etc. But kinda in order:

I think cricket has done well to accept the imperfections of the video stuff, and while I'll disagree re 50% of the ball hitting the stumps to change "Umpires Call", they know how accurate the cameras and software are ie I think that is poor. I would argue re that confidence as they go to the cameras too quickly and I don't see any as respected as Dickie, but then I don't have Sky and listening on ShoutShite is so very wrong.

re Spinners: well yes, but I think the point here is India and Sachin. As elsewhere, I am not saying he was pants... He would put his left leg down the wicket and tum-ti-tum the video stuff would have given him out. I think that is why India was so slow to adopt it, and refuse to play with it as he was rocking the olde way....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: to the back foot thang: I was (a few years younger) ump'ing a House Match and NB'ed the best Bowler in the school with his back foot too wide :lol:

The County point is a very good one re the (all puns intended) step up to Test Cricket.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yes enjoy the film blah, thanks for the reply - only a very quick point

Dickie as an umpire was well loved for his humanity, personal touch with the players and being scrupulously fair, as much as his undoubted skill as an umpire, one of the game's iconic figures and real characters, they really don't make them like that any more. He always liked the game to be played hard but with no nastiness, one of the very best of umpires,

However, he was also something of a notorious not outer, he freely admits as much in his two autobiographies. Always a bit of a technophobe tending to be against any change, thinking perhaps that things are always best left alone, the old ways being his preferred ones, although some of his reasoning seems a little contrary and odd at times, or probably more likely just completely wrong.

However, even if he does like to wear rose tinted glasses at times, i'll always think affectionately of Dickie and his constant battle with the weather.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 23:05 Yes enjoy the film blah, thanks for the reply - only a very quick point

Dickie as an umpire was well loved for his humanity, personal touch with the players and being scrupulously fair, as much as his undoubted skill as an umpire, one of the game's iconic figures and real characters, they really don't make them like that any more. He always liked the game to be played hard but with no nastiness, one of the very best of umpires,

However, he was also something of a notorious not outer, he freely admits as much in his two autobiographies. Always a bit of a technophobe tending to be against any change, thinking perhaps that things are always best left alone, the old ways being his preferred ones, although some of his reasoning seems a little contrary and odd at times, or probably more likely just completely wrong.

However, even if he does like to wear rose tinted glasses at times, i'll always think affectionately of Dickie and his constant battle with the weather.
Finally got it going, Phantom Thread which I watched last night for the first time, but I knew it deserves\needs at least a second, and nearly stopped watching. Day Lewis has realised his brilliance in the last however many, yet so few, years - and as a fellow cuckoo that is quite warming. Which prompts me to watch Nine again, an unheralded film (I think), but probably his first "mature" one as per the above.

Yep to the Dickie bit above and he was consistent, which is all that can be expected from Ref's\Umps? No chameleons like Jon Moss, oh the karma :lol:

While Sachin would have wanted him to Ump his matches, Dickie was a no-baller?

I'll ponder the whole benefit of the doubt thang of not-outers, but I do err on the side of Boiks re crease occupation and not giving weeeekets away. That typed I always had Edmunds well above Emburey; Gower above Gooch (and I was\am from his way); pace* over medium ie Pringle; and spin was under-rated.

*As Capt, I only had one or two matches with a very rapid left arm FAST and the fields I set with me walking back with him telling him how how and narrow to bowl... He knew if he got driven off any of those ones.... :lol: Same few matches with the wk, who would \shout\call him a tart etc (he had way blonde hair) when he hurt his hands.

Reminiscing now: won an Inter Dept Comp, with half the team never having played before: a few golfers pinch hitting and the slowest opening Bowler cricket will have ever seen - imagine at least a 9 ball over with 3 wickets and nowt off the bat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) We did have a Lancs League bod who for some reason agreed to play for us, and after the first win said it was the best time he had had playing cricket as it was so mad, yet......

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 35

‘Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood and his merry men’

To put it in a historical context,
Robin Hood was of Elmete Forest, not Nottingham.
Nottingham were the royalist, we were for the common man.
This is the story of Henry the Second, where
the final line was crossed when the roofe fell in.

There is no doubt, by the end of the war, this battle might be pivotal.
There is no honour in bad decisions.

What else can I say for the people of Barwick and Sherburn?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”