To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

is wanye rooney world class ?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.

yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 55

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: is wanye rooney world class ?

Post by Darbyand »

Big Norm had a similar lifestyle to Rooney though he was a pints man whereas Rooney is more of a bottle of red and 20 Marlborough Lights if rumours are to be believed. But it was a nasty knee injury that did for Norm at quite an early age. He was unlucky, 10 years later and the surgery would possibly have sorted it out.

Anyway, this is a perfect summary of where we're at with Rooney by one of the best journalists around.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/pre ... tory.shtml

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Time to book yourself on a "Learn Mandarin Chinese in 3 months" course, Wayne... :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Not seeing him graduating with honours from that one....

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

thebillfella wrote:I think people are dying for Pogba to fail given his price tag - it's inevitable I guess. Long term they will be disappointed, but he will benefit more from being in a 3 as he was at Juve rather than a 2 here.

Fellaini is and always has been a plan B option (or special big man roles) for me - we will not win trophies with him as part of plan A in my opinion.
Maybe he can partner up with Fellaini as a study partner and they can sit together on the Beijing flight?!!!

I think the Pogba trolls will need to find a new target now as well - he was outstanding yesterday and did indeed benefit from being part of a three with Herrera also being excellent in the hole behind him and Mata.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Kneejerk.com

I'd probably reserve that judgement on your €105M investment until he'd played well in more than one game (against a lacklustre Leicester City at home).

Until he's won you a game at City away or at home to Real in the CL then those of us who think you've paid double what he's actually worth still hold sway. ;)
Last edited by Maldini on 25 Sep 2016, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Didn't stop the knee jerkers from writing him off though did it? And to be honest he has played well in more than one game, but in an FPL culture you're considered to have played shit unless you get a goal or an assist. :roll:

I'd just point out that KDB hadn't set the world alight this season until an excellent performance against a lacklustre Utd, and now after two good games he's considered head and shoulders above everyone else thus far this season - he is playing very well and a top talent but it took three prem games for him to get his mojo but that inconvenient truth is quickly forgotten as people airbrush history to suit their own agenda. Memories (and patience) are very short these days.

As for the money, in this day and age and as a proportion of Utd's revenue it's a bit irrelevant (Benteke cost proportionally more for Palace as a % of their income for example). Maybe you could start a knee jerk "Is Paul Pogba world class" thread? He probably isn't there yet but he's well on the way, and if the longevity of this thread is anything to go by he should be there when we revisit it in 2-3 years time :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Just to be pedantic... De Bruyne had been city's best player in pretty much all their games (ignoring Agueros goal scoring antics).

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Genuinely didn't see that myself (and I was watching closely from a fantasy football perspective as he was on my "watch list") and Sky Sports recons Sterling, Stones and Sterling in that order with De Bruyne hardly getting a mention in any match report but everyone is entitled to be a pedant I suppose :wink: !!!

It wasn't until the Utd game that anyone was giving him a mention on here (other than exceptions to prove the rule).

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... break.html

worst football article. I have ever read .

"We are all trying to help Wayne as much as we can,’ David Moyes once told the assembled media. ‘You should understand that, and he should be respected. He needs breathing space. I thought he looked nervous when he came on today.’
Moyes at Manchester United? No. Moyes at Everton. Rooney was 17 at the time and had been criticised for failing to meet expectations in what was his 11th appearance for the club; 710 games on and nothing has changed."

nothing has changed ! :roll: there was a time you praise him all the time, mainly because he is English and Nani took all the blame instead. Although Rooney was better back then, the praise was way over the top sometimes.

then he goes on about why other players don't get blamed ? because the other players get dropped if they play badly . Rooney never seems gets dropped no matter how bad he plays..... until now finally . end of story . as long as we know hes droppable . he will get criticize less now . maybe a rest or being dropped if plays badly will help him .

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

You're probably right. Not playing will enhance his reputation no end.

Has worked wonders for Vermaelen and Kompany's careers.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Zimmerman wrote:You're probably right. Not playing will enhance his reputation no end.

Has worked wonders for Vermaelen and Kompany's careers.
he is still going to start and come off bench. just don't play him every game especially when he is playing badly. you would" protect" young players that way . Treat Rooney the same way

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Young players are protected to help their development. There's a case to do the same with an older player who's still contributing but you don't want to burn them out. Not sure what benefit they will get doing that with Rooney as he's contributing little anyway, and will be even less of a force by the World Cup if we're thinking in England terms. Southgate's surely not going to be the one to rock the boat by dropping him though. That along with his media profile and the lack of experience/a plausible alternative captain (especially given Hart and Cahill's recent troubles as well) is going to keep him in for a while yet.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

So Southgate perseveres with Rooney (and Hart / Cahill) despite the every increasing calls for him to be dropped.

With the World Cup 2 years away and opposition like Malta, now is the time to give the likes of Dier / Drinkwater a chance alongside Henderson (who outshone Rooney in the middle in terms of creativity on Friday). It's now that we need to build the confidence and hopefully the strength of mind of these less experienced players.

The three senior players above have had their chance and now it's time to give other younger models a go, but what was disappointing to hear was the booing before and during the game of Rooney specifically.

Fans have a right to air their disappointment of course and the criticism at the moment is fair, but there is a time and a place for that and I don't like to see that during the course of the game for any player - it's crass / disrespectful / childish and doesn't help the rest of the team either never mind your own player.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep to all three tbh.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

I think Mourinho may make up Southgate's mind (or whoever). He's already started the process and I would be surprised if Rooney is a guaranteed starter for United by the time February arrives.

If he couldn't do it an international level when he was in his prime, with the talent he had around him, how on earth is he going to do it now?

The only chance we have of doing well in Russia is to develop the young players, regardless as to whether they're automatic choices for their clubs. The element of surprise can help us, the same-old, same-old won't.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I don't think we should be putting faith in anyone not playing regularly for their clubs, young or old. Tell them clearly they need to move to keep themselves in the picture.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote:I don't think we should be putting faith in anyone not playing regularly for their clubs, young or old. Tell them clearly they need to move to keep themselves in the picture.
To Forest?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

thebillfella wrote:
Fans have a right to air their disappointment of course and the criticism at the moment is fair, but there is a time and a place for that and I don't like to see that during the course of the game for any player - it's crass / disrespectful / childish and doesn't help the rest of the team either never mind your own player.
To be honest, I've never booed anyone of my own players... but just wondering when is the time/place?

Waitrose on a Monday afternoon? :D

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

When players are on international duty it comes with the territory. All the United players got booed for England 15 years ago and they were generally doing well.
Dennisthemenace wrote:I think Mourinho may make up Southgate's mind (or whoever). He's already started the process and I would be surprised if Rooney is a guaranteed starter for United by the time February arrives.
He already isn't. :wink:

Not sure Southgate wants the hassle of being the man who ended it for Rooney but Mourinho has got there quicker than I could have hoped for. Big queue forming for the attacking roles behind/alongside Zlatan and Rooney's playing terribly week in week out. Some interesting quotes from Souness last week who said he'd expected the midfield transition to go ok but he'd been watching Rooney try it for a while now and it's just not happening and isn't likely to do so. Couldn't agree more.

Said similar earlier in the thread but normally when you're discussing someone with 750 games and six(?) summer tournaments it's an end of career veteran. Rooney is only 30 but the miles on the clock and off field excesses have done for him.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm agreeing with you far too much :wink:

Wasn't there an Argentina chant at OT?

Wooney has two problems as a footballer, imho.

1, He has played so many "top" matches that he is older than his years as a player.
2, His "style" doesn't fit nowadays. He really isn't a No 10 in the conventional sense of a Silva\Alli type of player and he is way off being a No 9 in a Drogb\Kun sense so he is difficult to fit in up top, for a top side - and is too inconsistent to build a side around, not that I would know where to start with that nowadays.

I thought that he could have fitted into a midfield in a Pirlo\Schweinsteiger kind of way; but I doubt there is scope for that at MU with Pogba, unless Jose can find a proper holding DM like Dier to let him and Pogba play in CM. However, even then I doubt it would work as Wooney doesn't seem to have the ability to play short neat interchange stuff, which is why he can't imh(umble)o play the No 10 as well as others.

Lil Mickey Owen would have suffered a similar fate, if his hamstrings etc had held up, as the quick lil forward playing with a big'un disappeared from the game at the end of his career.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:I don't think we should be putting faith in anyone not playing regularly for their clubs, young or old. Tell them clearly they need to move to keep themselves in the picture.
To Forest?
Well, someone playing every week in the Championship might be in a better place to contribute than someone on a Premier League bench. If the pool of English players continues to decline then more players might see such a downward step (certainly as a loan at least) as helping their international prospects rather than hindering them. After all, the other British/Irish sides draw plenty of players from the English second tier and sometimes below.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Dropped tomorrow apparently. Sour times for Rooney right now.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Darbyand wrote:Dropped tomorrow apparently. Sour times for Rooney right now.
I wonder who England's new scapegoat will be then?

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Rooneys not playing tomorrow? Brilliant I might watch it now :)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Waynetta's been mouthing off on Twitter... come on, you're multi-millionaires, the fans and media are entitled to their opinion. If it gets really personal and abusive then fair enough, she has a point, but if it's just saying a player's crap and past it, it comes to all of them eventually, her husband chose that career and it's served him pretty well for 14 years...

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

forestfan wrote:Waynetta's been mouthing off on Twitter... come on, you're multi-millionaires, the fans and media are entitled to their opinion. If it gets really personal and abusive then fair enough, she has a point, but if it's just saying a player's crap and past it, it comes to all of them eventually, her husband chose that career and it's served him pretty well for 14 years...
Yep, if he gets booted by United he might have to take a salary cut to 150K. They'll have to take a trip to the food bank no doubt.

Surely they both knew these days would eventually come, even if it is only the start of the slippery slope towards playing for Sunderland.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Decent read..... equates the Rooney situation to the general apathy/frustration in society today.

http://www.football365.com/news/boo-roo ... -injustice

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: is wanye rooney world class ?

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:Decent read..... equates the Rooney situation to the general apathy/frustration in society today.

A load of garbage IMO. We boo Rooney because 1 in 4 have mental health issues. Of course, I always wondered why and just guessed it was because he was playing poorly on a poor team. I'm an idiot...

Although I did snigger at 'head merkin'

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Blimey, someone has changed their article\dissertation on Brexit, Corbyn and Sanders\Trump and tossed in Rooney as the target of the disenfranchised's ire.

I thought that he did well here, btw: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37606560

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Zimmerman wrote:Decent read..... equates the Rooney situation to the general apathy/frustration in society today.

not for me . I hate it when they bring up money, yes he gets a lot . But lets keep it about the football.

lots not go down the route of Rooney is undroppable because of the amount of money the club pay him . His advertisement is very high as he is well known around the world . He is the heart of Manchester united and England. Lets not go down that route.

Let his football do the talking , not his money. if he is playing badly which he is , drop him for a bit. or make him come of the bench later on

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”