To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

is wanye rooney world class ?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.

is wanye rooney world class ?

yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 55

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: is wanye rooney world class ?

Post by Darbyand »

buu1333 wrote:
Let his football do the talking , not his money. if he is playing badly which he is , drop him for a bit. or make him come of the bench later on
One thing that surprises me is the idea that this is some prolonged slump in "form". Do people think that with the right system/formation/tactics etc he'll come roaring back to his 2009-10 level?? In the last 12 months I've seen him play in pretty much every position he's eligible for and whilst United/England haven't been great there's still been some decent performances....but not from him. I've never been more convinced this is similar to, say, Gerrard in 2015. Legs gone, time to move on. Or Cantona who retired shortly before his 31st birthday when he was still performing at a much higher level than Rooney and without the need to hide in midfield.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Rooney reminds me of my mate robbie. About ten years ago he wasn't a bad looking fella. Slim and in good shape. His misses was also fit and pretty trim.

Fast forward ten years. Robbie's misses is still fit but robbie is a fat bustard now who buys his clothes from Jacamo. He's had too many late nights and he's a bit fked.

Now like Rooney my mate is no longer up to the standard required and needs to step aside for a younger man to do the job instead.

Plenty of options to replace Rooney take your pick. Hes not a decent striker anymore and what's the point of him hiding in midfield.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Is this you making a play for Coleen or your mates bird? I'm confused.

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Zimmerman wrote:Is this you making a play for Coleen or your mates bird? I'm confused.

My mates misses. She has bigger tits.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Would "Wanye" have made a backpass as Dier as Eric's was? :wink:

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Shite thus far tonight. All Rooney's fault of course...

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

mad dog wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Is this you making a play for Coleen or your mates bird? I'm confused.

"pics or it didn't happen" as the kids say these days.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

That worked well then

(dropping Rooney not Sad Dog's fantasies!)

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Darbyand wrote:
mad dog wrote:

"pics or it didn't happen" as the kids say these days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

A picture of Dier in 10 years time...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote:A picture of Dier in 10 years time...
...is he going down the Kellie/Frank Maloney route then?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Whisper it (as it won't suit the blame layers propoganda!) but England were less poor once Rooney came on the other night!

And there's the problem. It's right to drop rooney but his long term replacements have to start stepping up to the mark sooner rather than later.

Patience needed of course but how many chances do we give Walcott before we ask him to step aside for Rashford to get his chance for example?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep to less poor; but far from good, imho.

We have lacked guile around the box for years, and last night was just as p0or with Walcott being pants; Jesse poor until Walcott went off and Alli trying hard, but getting little help; while Sturridge looked either rusty or confused - Klopp is trying to get him to interchange with the other forwards, yet England wanting him between their CB's. Or at least the "experts" were going on about him staying there.

That said England need to get out of the obsession that qualifying is about steam-rollering sides (and Slovenia were far from a bad side) then get battered in the Comp's. Qualifying is where teams evolve and develop for the Comps, but some thought is needed re players worth keeping and being patient with etc.

I genuinely don't understand the obsession with picking Walcott, but worse was Townsend coming on for him, why was he in the squad and then how did he get on the pitch? He is still obsessed with cutting in on his left foot and shooting: while he did actually go wide and cross with his right foot once. He was also attacking nearly wide with a bit of pace, backing up a defender and looked ready to go round him when he realised he was a yard from the pen box and actually stopped so he could try to go across the box. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I just want to see us play with a plan, one that's identifiable!

If that's getting the best out of Rooney that's fine, if it's playing a pressing style and hitting Vardy on the break that's fine. What I don't like is the total inability of Hodgson, Allardyce (small sample) and now Southgate to pick a tactic and stick to it. They all just pick a number of names and fit them in an XI and let them get on with it, with seemingly no direction whatsoever.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I agree with that (and Blah's comment about building for the tournament as a plan (rather than seeing qualifying as 'the' competition).

How often do we get to the pre-tournament friendlies in May and start dicking about using different formations and/or personnel.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: How often do we get to the pre-tournament friendlies in May and start dicking about using different formations and/or personnel.
Yep, that is the icing on the cake of imminent failure.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

just seen Wayne Rooney apparently acted inappropriate. never seen so much bull shit. not even news worthy who cares he was at a wedding on day off .if you find that inappropriate then that is sad.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I assume it was inappropriate because it was 72hrs until another international and he was obviously leathered.

In the old days (late 90s maybe), the curfew used to be 48hrs before a match... has that now increased to 72hrs?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I assume that this was before he was declared "injured" and sent home :wink:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

As is nearly always the case, there are footballing reasons behind the media response. Ronaldo (same age) has scored three goals in the last 24 hours, Rooney has scored three since January at club level. If he was performing like Ronaldo/Messi/Suarez then nobody would care that much, but he hasn't been consistently scoring goals or influencing games since Fergie retired. Seeing him in that state at 5am is perhaps symbolic of the way he didn't have the self-discipline to be a world great.

If he wants the English media off his back, he should go and take the riches on offer in China for the next few years.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Bit of a sad indictment on our media and society in general that it has to come to that though isn't it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

thebillfella wrote:Bit of a sad indictment on our media and society in general that it has to come to that though isn't it.
Well, he's the one choosing to be out on the piss until 5am when he's claiming he's still capable of performing as a top level sportsman. If he had retired, or the media were chasing him around America or China, it would be a different story.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

He's had a few drinks in the hotel he's staying in with the rest of the squad / staff to the early hours. So what? He's human, and he certainly isn't the first footballer to have a drink.

What none of us know, including the media, is the circumstances behind this. Do we know what he was told he could / couldn't do? Did he already know he wasn't playing on the Tuesday? A total mountain out of a molehill IMO.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

thebillfella wrote:He's had a few drinks in the hotel he's staying in with the rest of the squad / staff to the early hours. So what? He's human, and he certainly isn't the first footballer to have a drink.

What none of us know, including the media, is the circumstances behind this. Do we know what he was told he could / couldn't do? Did he already know he wasn't playing on the Tuesday? A total mountain out of a molehill IMO.

He defied his managers orders.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ky-sources

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote:
thebillfella wrote:He's had a few drinks in the hotel he's staying in with the rest of the squad / staff to the early hours. So what? He's human, and he certainly isn't the first footballer to have a drink.

He defied his managers orders.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ky-sources
As above 5am is not "early hours" for most\nearly all people let alone a "Professional" Sportsperson. I doubt it was only a "few" drinks, as some seem to claim noticeably former\current players. Although I wasn't there and he may have started at 3am - but on the basis that it started the previous evening it seems most likely that it was a bit of a session....

My best guess is that there was no injury and he was sent home "injured" because of this, which happened before it broke on SM?

While Lalla going to a Strip club (with Henderson) and then getting a Groin Strain has a humourous aspect to it: it seems that our footballers are still Jack the Lad's rather than Professional Sportsmen on over £100k a week (obviously excluding the £50k Kane "earns").

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

He may not be world class but he is now Man Utd's all-time top goalscorer, and in less matches than Charlton too.

Do we think he'll be off to China soon?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Wasn't Charlton a midfielder?

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote:Wasn't Charlton a midfielder?
A smidge before my time but ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Charlton

Wikipedia says BC was an
Attacking midfielder
Forward

Whereas his arch nemesis WR is down as
Forward
Midfielder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney

Perhaps more importantly, was Bobby Charlton considered to be world class?

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

They were both world class at one time in their careers, but neither is world class any longer :wink:

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Wanye rooney is world class end of........ put him back on the bench next week though

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”