To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

National Club Golfer Winter Fantasy Comp 2018/9 STARTS 22nd NOVEMBER!! Register now

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Golf Games
bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

National Club Golfer Winter Fantasy Comp 2018/9 STARTS 22nd NOVEMBER!! Register now

Post by bogeyfreered »

So this is happening guys, STARTS THIS WEEK, runs from 22nd November with the Hong Kong Open (Team Selection Opens Monday evening) up to The Masters, Prizes to be won, register here https://ncgfantasygolf.com/

We are also trialling two events in some weeks, with a view to using it more in next years main season game, particularly in weeks including limited field events.

any feedback much appreciated.

Team selection opens Monday evening, closes shortly before first tee of time.

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Re: National Club Golfer Winter Fantasy Comp 2018/9 STARTS 22nd NOVEMBER!! Register now

Post by bogeyfreered »

Team Selection for the first event now open, closes midnight on Wednesday

Maldini
Dumbledore

Re: National Club Golfer Winter Fantasy Comp 2018/9 STARTS 22nd NOVEMBER!! Register now

Post by Maldini »

Thanks for the heads up

antomeno
Treebeard

Post by antomeno »

Nice to have a winter game, but no prizes for overall standings? It is a pity....

Man United's #1 Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Bunkered Fantasy Golf Runner-Up 2023

Post by Man United's #1 Fan »

Entered a team :)

Boddington
FISOhead
FS Record: 2014 Captains Picks Your Golf Travel - Winner
2015 SuperBru F1 - UK Winner
2015 Golf Monthly Fantasy Golf - Winner
2018 European Tour Fantasy Race to Dubai - Runner Up
2018/19 NCG Fantasy Golf Winter - Winner
2019 NCG Fantasy Golf - Winner

Post by Boddington »

Likewise, over the moon to have a fantasy competition over winter, but feel that a prize for the overall winner is needed - even if it is just a box of golf balls.
I feel fantasy golf is about trying to find players in form and season long strategies, with an end goal in mind, as opposed to weekly's where throwing a dart is more likely to win in any given week.

toffeelover
2015 FISO Golf Champion
Location: I know I am getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators. ~Gerald Ford
FS Record: GolfGenius2007, OFL Golf Majors 2002, OFL Golf overall 2nd, 4th, 7th & 8th, OFL Golf Fall Finish 2013

Post by toffeelover »

Have to echo the comments about the overall prize BFR.

Plus the weekly prizes have limits - many fantasy golf junkies don't play golf and quite a few live abroad.

That said, well done for putting on a winter game!

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Post by bogeyfreered »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i agree and have put this forward to NCG. In fairness to them im sure the overall prize will be on their radar and a work in progress, without promising anything on their behalf, lets say TBC for now perhaps. I'll keep you posted.

I also think as the popularity of the game increases over the seasons, (we have just finished our first) this would have the potential to affect the prizes offered.

With regards to prizes may i ask some of the non golfers what would be a desirable weekly and overall prize to aim for?

Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated.

Man United's #1 Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Bunkered Fantasy Golf Runner-Up 2023

Post by Man United's #1 Fan »

Came 2nd place this week (Honda Classic) and have just been e-mailed a £50 voucher :0)

megadyl
FISOhead

Post by megadyl »

I think having played this now for nearly a full season over both games I have an overall feel for the game that it is almost like picking a lottery ticket every week. I don’t say this lightly because I like a lot about the format. It is different and certainly more skilful than other games and I think the lack of transfers is a massive positive as it rewards knowledge rather than simply a good memory. That said in the end pretty much every week you end up having to pick between 2 and 4 ‘average’ tour players and much of the reason they are average is that they are inconsistent so whether a lot of them have a good week is completely random even allowing for form coming into it, form at the course or in certain conditions or anything tangible. In that sense I feel like quite a large part of your score is down to luck. That said I think it’s a great idea, just maybe a few tweaks. Reduction of players from 6 to 4. Slightly less stringent player points per week. Something like that. I will continue to play and do enjoy it a lot, just my general feeling that’s all. Thanks for continuing to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Post by bogeyfreered »

Thank you megadyl for your continued interest in the game, and also for taking the time to offer your feedback.

We are very happy to work with such feedback, so that we can keep tweaking this game and keep improving it. How the various fantasy games pitch Team selection is always a balancing act. On one hand we didnt want users to be able to just pick the all best players, thats get boring, but neither did we want this to be a hard slog when it came to picking a Team each week.

At the moment the all important Rank Cap is always determined by field size, being 1.5x this. The great thing about this is we can make Team Selection some would say easier by dropping this to 1.25 or 1 or anywhere inbetween. Or we can make selection harder by increasing this ratio. I do think the six players is a pretty good balance though.

Thanks again for your comments, this may be a worthwhile tweak for the main season game this year. As ever i'll keep you posted on any updates.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

I agree that 6 players seems about right. Ironically, i think that increasing the players would enable a more balanced side, as you would be able to fill the team with players in the top 40 (if say we had 8 players and 300 to play with).
I really enjoy the format as tactics genuinely vary week to week, whether to go for 4 strong and 2 weak, or 2 strong and 4 middling.

Do you know if/what the overall prize is please?

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

Does anyone know if NCG are running a regular season competition again this year?

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Post by bogeyfreered »

Yes National Club Golfer are running a main season game running from the Masters to the DP World Tour Champs again, with monthly and overall prizes I believe. Similar format with perhaps double events in limited field weeks to bolster the scoring. May also drop the Rank Cap ratio slightly, making selection slightly 'easier' this TBC though. The schedule is just being finalised and will be up in a couple of days. (Sorry not sure on the status of the winter overall comp prize, you would be best contacting NCG direct.). As ever we appreciate your thoughts and feedback thank you.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Good stuff! Cheers

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

Excellent news on the new competition, cheers.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

bogeyfreered wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 09:35 Yes National Club Golfer are running a main season game running from the Masters to the DP World Tour Champs again, with monthly and overall prizes I believe. Similar format with perhaps double events in limited field weeks to bolster the scoring. May also drop the Rank Cap ratio slightly, making selection slightly 'easier' this TBC though. The schedule is just being finalised and will be up in a couple of days. (Sorry not sure on the status of the winter overall comp prize, you would be best contacting NCG direct.). As ever we appreciate your thoughts and feedback thank you.
I contacted NCG on 31st March but havent received an acknowledgement or response yet.
It would be good to know what we are playing for before the final event as there are likely to be over half a dozen players who can still win it.
I did notice that on 31st March NCG sent an email out (link below) offering various competition prizes to everyone, it would be nice of they did something similar for the Winter Fantasy Golf competition.
http://email.nationalclubgolfer.com/int ... &varId=1st

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Post by bogeyfreered »

You are right and sorry you haven't received a reply, although I am sure they will have this in hand, nonetheless I have contacted them with your concerns.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

bogeyfreered wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 17:32 You are right and sorry you haven't received a reply, although I am sure they will have this in hand, nonetheless I have contacted them with your concerns.
Thanks ever so much

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

Is there any news on the prize now that the competition has finished please?

bogeyfreered
Kevin and Perry

Post by bogeyfreered »

Hi, well done on finishing top in the overall standings Boddington and best of luck with the main season game. Last time I contacted NCG I was told it would be dealt with. Hopefully you have heard from them, let me know how you got on.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

bogeyfreered wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 07:42 Hi, well done on finishing top in the overall standings Boddington and best of luck with the main season game. Last time I contacted NCG I was told it would be dealt with. Hopefully you have heard from them, let me know how you got on.
Many thanks, i really enjoy this fantasy competition and format.
I havent had any contact at present. Hopefully soon.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

bogeyfreered wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 07:42 Hi, well done on finishing top in the overall standings Boddington and best of luck with the main season game. Last time I contacted NCG I was told it would be dealt with. Hopefully you have heard from them, let me know how you got on.
I still havent heard anything regarding the overall winners prize for the Winter Fantasy Competition.
However i did get an email offering the following prizes open to anyone :-

Win: An overnight golf break at a MacDonald hotel
Win: VIP hospitality tickets to a European Tour event
Win: A golf day worth £500 at Ashley Wood
Win: A Bushnell rangefinder
Win: A Precision Pro rangefinder
Win: A two-night golf break to a Marriott hotel
Win: Hospitality tickets to The Open
Win: A Vice glove

It appears they have plenty of sponsors prizes, it is a shame they havent allocated anything as the overall prize yet to the Fantasy Golf Winter Season competition.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

I have finally received a response from National Club Golfer.
They have confirmed that they are not offering any prize for the season long competition.
I will be honest, i never thought for a minute there would be no prize for the overall winner.
I have never known a season long fantasy golf competition with nothing to play for.
I feel stupid having spent hours every week for 6 months on this competition. It is a shame they didnt state at the start of the competition that it was just for fun.
I am unfortunately unable to play golf anymore following ACL surgery, so the weekly prizes were of no concern to me.
I wonder how many other fantasy golf players who either dont play golf or live in the UK would have put so much effort into this tournament had they stated at the start of the competition that there were no overall prizes for a competition running over 6 months.

toffeelover
2015 FISO Golf Champion
Location: I know I am getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators. ~Gerald Ford
FS Record: GolfGenius2007, OFL Golf Majors 2002, OFL Golf overall 2nd, 4th, 7th & 8th, OFL Golf Fall Finish 2013

Post by toffeelover »

Bloody hell, what a sham of a competition :evil:

Incredibly poor from NCG, even if they hadn't managed to get off their arses to secure a sponsor over the winter months, they could at least have cobbled together a half decent prize from what they had lying around in their office.

Talk about kicking your readers in the teeth, pathetic.

Dad Dancer
FISOhead
FS Record: NCG Winner 2017, Last Man Standing Winner 2017

Post by Dad Dancer »

Disgusting

Not great publicity for their magazine either.

ralphypne
Treebeard

Post by ralphypne »

I definitely understand your frustration but I don’t think the website ever stated there would be an overall prize for the Winter game did it? Pretty sure that’s why I didn’t bother with it.

Happy to be corrected if it did suggest otherwise.

Boddington
FISOhead

Post by Boddington »

ralphypne wrote: 04 May 2019, 08:41 I definitely understand your frustration but I don’t think the website ever stated there would be an overall prize for the Winter game did it? Pretty sure that’s why I didn’t bother with it.

Happy to be corrected if it did suggest otherwise.
A lot of fantasy golf competitions like last years Official European Tour Golf Fantasy Golf never put the actual prizes up until towards the end of the season.
Given that all fantasy golf competitions have some prizes for the winners unless stated as a just for fun tournament, it was disappointing that NCG chose this as the first one.
It was suggested above in this forum that this tournament could be similar in adding the prize during the tournament.
As stated by bogeyfreered who is connected to the tournament "In fairness to them im sure the overall prize will be on their radar and a work in progress...lets say TBC for now perhaps. I'll keep you posted"

NCG have offered a winners prize in every other fantasy golf tournament they have ever run.

You made a wise choice not bothering with it - i wont be bothering with it either next time.

megadyl
FISOhead

Post by megadyl »

I think the difference here compared to the European Tour one is that they did publish information about prizes and an overall one wasn’t included, just weekly. The European Tour game stated that prize information would be published at a later date.

I can completely understand your disappointment and it would have been nice for them to send you something but in fairness to them they were very transparent from the start of the winter competition.

Let’s hope they have a rethink this year as it was great to have a game to play over the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Golf”