To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

High mileage lease car

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

High mileage lease car

Post by Darbyand »

My work pattern is changing in the New Year and I'm looking to lease a nice car that will spend a lot of time on the motorway (c.2,000 miles a month). The problem is I know very little about cars so am struggling to put together more of a brief than that for anyone reading this post. Budget circa £300 a month incl VAT. We already have a Zafira family car replete with car seats/scratches/suntan cream handprints which I'll keep as local runabout and for family holidays....but I do still want a 4 door for the new one as from time to time I'll ferry the kids around in it.

Any ideas/further info needed? Any tips on the leasing minefield...better to deal direct with manufacturer when decided on a model or go via a leasing expert?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: High mileage lease car

Post by Zimmerman »

I'm not sure lease cars lend themselves to having 24k a year on them.

Most (although haven't looked in to it for a few years) penalise you for whacking mileage on.

Are you not in a position to buy something?

A golf tdi or passat (if you want something bigger) with 100k on the clock could be picked up for <£5k and would be good for 200k miles.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I need something new. The work is time critical so needs to happen on the day it's scheduled (within reason). We've lost a bit from car break-downs in the past and of course hefty repair bills.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:I'm not sure lease cars lend themselves to having 24k a year on them.
Most company leases will be for about that mileage so the lease companies will be well set up for it.

No idea about private leases but with company ones you go on a contract with an expected mileage and are charged accordingly - with penalties if you go over (think I'm on 3 years / 75k). Don't ask me about prices etc as I'm not involved in paying for it!

You can often get better deals for popular makes/models that will hold their value as you are basically being charged for depreciation rather than cost. Things like BMWs and Audis can therefore be relatively cheap for their list price.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Been looking for a runaround for the missus and thinking of leasing. Only looking at 15k miles but Merc A class, A3's and BMW 1's come in at around the £300 mark with Golf's and Leon's between £250 to £300.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Just a thought, have you considered borrowing the money as a personal loan at around 4% interest and then owning the car? At least then whenever you are done with it the residual value is yours.

buy a nearly new diesel Focus for £10k:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 268510242/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

payments about £300 a month, but in 3 years with 100k miles on it will still be worth, I don't know, £3k?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

tommymooney wrote:Just a thought, have you considered borrowing the money as a personal loan at around 4% interest and then owning the car? At least then whenever you are done with it the residual value is yours.

buy a nearly new diesel Focus for £10k:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 268510242/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

payments about £300 a month, but in 3 years with 100k miles on it will still be worth, I don't know, £3k?
Add on servicing costs, tyres, windscreens (+ insurance??)

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Yes. A google around looks like Which do some comparisons on Buy v Lease on some popular cars if you sign-up

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/choosing-a- ... s-leasing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”