To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New car (well, 2-3 year old car) tips

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

New car (well, 2-3 year old car) tips

Post by crispybits »

Hi FISO masses, time to throw myself out there and drink in some of your collective wisdom

In February next year (just before the 05 plates start coming out) I should have somewhere between 5 and 8 grand burning a hole in my pocket wanting to be spent on a car that for the first time in my entire life won't be some cheapy under 1 grand banger.

I know that by timing my purchase for the month before the new plates come out I should be able to get a good deal because the dealerships will be keen to shift stuff before it ticks over to yet another year behind the current plate number (or should I just wait a month until they are technically a year older?)

Also, right now I'm looking for something decently sized (I'm 6'6" so I won't fit in a Fiat 500). Been thinking about a Mondeo or a Vauxhall Insignia. Two other reasons for wanting something a bit oversized for a singleton like me are (a) I took a motoring/camping holiday in my Focus last year and it was great fun except the car just wasnt big enough for the tent, all the associated camping gear (I don't travel light while camping) plus me and the 2 other people to travel really comfortably, and (b) I'm travelling more for work and turning up in a family saloon does give a different (better) impression to clients than turning up in a sporty hatchback or similar, plus if I need to take 4 other adults from the office to the restaurant for a business lunch they'd all fit.

So any thoughts on either the timing or what sort of cars I may not be thinking of within my budget. I'd rather get something no more than 4 years old without huge mileage too, or even if you think I should buy something newer still on finance and the things to consider there? I'm a complete novice in this marketplace, as I said I've only ever bought bangers from Joe Public through newspaper ads because that's all I could ever afford before...

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Re: New car (well, 2-3 year old car) tips

Post by Richt »

diesel or petrol?

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Not too bothered, always had petrol but driven modern diesels too and they're not the clunky steam engines of old.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Golf Estate?

I'm usually a hatchback / coupe driver but did like my practical Golf estate. Still felt like a small car. Don't see the point of saloons. Hatch or estate and you can carry stuff far better.

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Happy enough with an estate but not sure about German brands in terms of VFM - I owned a Golf once way back (MkII) and that thing cost twice or three times as much to repair as any Ford or Vauxhall I ever owned when it did go wrong.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Go Mondeo Diesel, don't worry about @100k mileage, should be good for at least another 100k. Drive a hard bargain, you should be able to get 3 year warranty chucked in for minimal/ no cost.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

crispybits wrote:Happy enough with an estate but not sure about German brands in terms of VFM - I owned a Golf once way back (MkII) and that thing cost twice or three times as much to repair as any Ford or Vauxhall I ever owned when it did go wrong.
Skoda equivalent?

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Yeah could be an option - Skoda Superb Estates under 4 years old and just under 100K come in around 8 grand.

Think I might spend the odd day here and there between now and then hiring one of each of the options and giving it a 24 hour road test to see how they all strike me.

I'd love to think I could get a loan to top up my budget and go for a 2 year old Jag XF (love Jags, second only to supercars like Ferraris in my "money no object" wishlist) but I think the expensive running/repair costs would rule that out as a viable option.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Focus estate? 160 litres extra boot space over the hatch. But unfortunately still down on the old model by 30 odd litres.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 288558580/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice top spec old shape (top dollar though)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 078017025/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

Skoda Octavia would be my suggestion although as your a tall chap perhaps the Superb would be better for you.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”