To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Driving After The Night Before

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Driving After The Night Before

Post by bluenosey »

Something to make you all aware of.

In some parts of Brum the police have been stopping all of the cars. One of these police stops took place outside my parents house. My Dad hat a chat with the policeman because he thought the Police were checking to see if any of the cars were not taxed. Instead, the Police were randomly breathalising motorists. Apparently, there aren't too many that drink and drive (pretty sure hardly no-one on here would) but are you still safe to drive the next morning ?

I've been looking at the figures and there are plenty of times in the past where I may have been judged to have been over the limit. I don't think I'm alone.

It sounds like I've taken a bit of a risk - unintentionally - but even if you wait until gone midday the next day, alcohol is still likely to be in your bloodstream. If you travel early after a sesh the chances are you're a sitting duck. Some guidance here :-

http://www.365alive.co.uk/wps/wcm/conne ... nk+driving" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you lose your licence you can lose your job and then the cost of insurance when you've served the ban is astronomical. It's just not worth it.

So, before you pop out for a couple at your local and drive back round the corner, or drive to a party and stop over but set out early the next day, just be careful. I reckon the Police will be blitzing this type of thing come Xmas. Get the train, public transport or just wait a while, It could make all of the difference.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: Driving After The Night Before

Post by Vid »

A breathalyser won't register anything several hours after a drink (or more), but how you drive, how you act/ speak could well lead to a blood test that will!

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Vid wrote:A breathalyser won't register anything several hours after a drink (or more), but how you drive, how you act/ speak could well lead to a blood test that will!
So that's why I'm having my blood tested all of the time. :idea:

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Spinynorman wrote:
Vid wrote:A breathalyser won't register anything several hours after a drink (or more), but how you drive, how you act/ speak could well lead to a blood test that will!
So that's why I'm having my blood tested all of the time. :idea:
In your case they just follow you on facebook! :-)

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

So why are they doing breathalyser tests in the morning then?

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

I'm no expert, but would love to see the evidence for this.

If you have alcohol in the bloodstream, it will show up on a breathalyser.

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

Principle of Testing

The Alcohol that a person drinks shows up in the breath because it gets absorbed from the mouth, throat, stomach and intestines into the bloodstream. Alcohol­ is not digested upon absorption, nor chemically changed in the bloodstream. As the blood goes through the lungs, some of the alcohol moves across the membranes of the lung's air sacs (alveoli) into the air, because alcohol will evaporate from a solution -- that is, it is volatile. The concentration of the alcohol in the alveolar air is related to the concentration of the alcohol in the blood. As the alcohol in the alveolar air is exhaled, it can be detected by the breath.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Alchemist wrote:Principle of Testing

The Alcohol that a person drinks shows up in the breath because it gets absorbed from the mouth, throat, stomach and intestines into the bloodstream. Alcohol­ is not digested upon absorption, nor chemically changed in the bloodstream. As the blood goes through the lungs, some of the alcohol moves across the membranes of the lung's air sacs (alveoli) into the air, because alcohol will evaporate from a solution -- that is, it is volatile. The concentration of the alcohol in the alveolar air is related to the concentration of the alcohol in the blood. As the alcohol in the alveolar air is exhaled, it can be detected by the breath.
Is this the case for single malts as well as blended whisky?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

We have random breath tests at work and a zero tolerance policy, there have been a couple of times that I should definitely have registered something (within legal limits) following a few drinks and only a couple of hours sleep but have always shown zero. The only incidence I know of where a driver has had a positive result was due to mouthwash being used 30 mins or so before turning up to work.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Assuming the old rule of thumb about losing a unit an hour applies then I am no longer capable of drinking enough to be over the limit the next morning :oops:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I've always countered the possibility that I could be over the limit in the morning by never learning to drive. :wink:

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

How would you know you're within legal limits by morning? Or do you mean, if you only drink within legal limits then by morning you will be fine and pass the breathalyser test. Thanks for that, but if that's all you had drunk, you'd be fine whenever you were tested. :lol:

Or maybe you know exactly the rate at which alcohol leaves the bloodstream ...

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

murf wrote:Assuming the old rule of thumb about losing a unit an hour applies then I am no longer capable of drinking enough to be over the limit the next morning :oops:

You can't drink more than around 8 units murf?
I think I need to change my Ryder cup cappo nomination ....

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Giggs11 wrote:
murf wrote:Assuming the old rule of thumb about losing a unit an hour applies then I am no longer capable of drinking enough to be over the limit the next morning :oops:
You can't drink more than around 8 units murf?
I think I need to change my Ryder cup cappo nomination ....
A few more than 8 units - I start drinking at noon :wink:

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Vid wrote: The only incidence I know of where a driver has had a positive result was due to mouthwash being used 30 mins or so before turning up to work.
That's why a the police always ask "when did you last have a drink?" They can't breathalyze you within 20 minutes of it due to 'mouth affect'.

Urban legend has it, that if you say "5 minutes ago" they might let you on your way because they can't be arsed waiting around.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

sted wrote:

Agree with Giggsy and Sted. Surely that's a slightly dangerous thought for any wannabee drink driver to elude to Vid ?

Any of our resident FISO policeman or medical bods care to comment ?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

bluenosey wrote:
sted wrote:

Agree with Giggsy and Sted. Surely that's a slightly dangerous thought for any wannabee drink driver to elude to Vid ?

If you drive over the limit then you get what you deserve. You should know your own body, how your metabolism deals with alcohol, the amount and over what period, we're all different.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

My former boss got a ban for being over the limit the next morning, so yes you can be done !

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Vid wrote:
bluenosey wrote:
sted wrote:

If you drive over the limit then you get what you deserve. You should know your own body, how your metabolism deals with alcohol, the amount and over what period, we're all different.
Totally agree but some people could drive very well after eight pints. I think I would be OK but not great (never tried it though) Some could be all over the show after three pints. Some hardened alkys could drive fine after double figures but the fact remains if you are pulled over randomly after a police blitz, then it's all down to the alcohol in your bloodstream.

In terms of erratic drivers, tired ones could be the worse and don't get me started on those blase tossers on their mobiles.....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”