To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Car roof boxes / rails

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Car roof boxes / rails

Post by murf »

Just interested in people's experiences and thoughts on roof boxes etc for lugging luggage.

I'm currently driving a big(gish) estate car which I/Mrs m/the dog fill to the brim when going on holiday but when the lease runs out (on car, not wife and/or dog) I am thinking of swapping it for something smaller (hatchback size?) using the theory that when I do need the extra space I can just chuck on a roofbox.

Something like this: http://www.halfords.com/camping-car-sea ... l-roof-box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be a vast array of roof bars and fitting systems but could I just go to Halfords and say I want them for Car X and they find out what bars I need from a list and then any old box should fit?????

I know some car manufacturers flog their own but presume they are much more expensive and not necessary.

So chuck the cases in the boot/hatch and other bags etc in the roof box (as they are lighter and easier to lift).

Any tips on sizes or shapes??

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Re: Car roof boxes / rails

Post by Knulpuk »

murf wrote:Any tips on sizes or shapes??
If you want to pack a lot of stuff get a big one - if less then get one smaller one.

We were going down this route a while back - didn't but after a bit of research we would have gone with a "Thule" (ease of access, ease of fit, security). They also seemed to hold their value well when you inevitably realise that they are a bit rubbish as a concept.

I also worry what will happen if it rains a lot - can they be 100% waterproof?

That's of marginal help.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I always thought they were "a bit rubbish as a concept" too but if I have space to dump it for 49 weeks of the year and am staying somewhere on holiday that I can dump it til the return trip then I am coming round to thinking 'why not'?

We do tend to chuck in a load of small bags and stuff so the idea of a strangely dimensioned box* isn't so bad if you have loads of small bags left over rather than big cases.

* fnarr, fnarr

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

top tip:
get an adjustable one plus some adjustable roof bars and then every one of your family can borrow it off you rather than buying their own and then return it to you with bird shit all over it, scratches and missing bits meaning you have to search around for ages on the internet for ridiculously overpriced parts

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

jpk wrote:top tip:
get an adjustable one plus some adjustable roof bars and then every one of your family can borrow it off you rather than buying their own and then return it to you with bird shit all over it, scratches and missing bits meaning you have to search around for ages on the internet for ridiculously overpriced parts
Idea!

Can I borrow yours?

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Have used them in the past, (borrowed, not owned), easy to fit and take off, got a lot in them (recommend holdalls, smaller bags etc)... help up fine in the 2 days pissing wet weather we had. Think it was a halfords box and thule bars.

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

murf wrote:
jpk wrote:top tip:
Idea!

Can I borrow yours?
yes

no

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

+1 for Thule, at least for the bars. Good quality and modular, so there are loads of Thule accessories that fit (bike carriers, baskets, soft roof 'boxes', canoe carriers etc etc. Better prices around online that going to a shitty Halfords as well

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”