To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Accidents - what happens?

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Accidents - what happens?

Post by Vid »

Just been told that the step daughters latest partner has hit a cyclist, I don't know any details beyond the cyclist has been taken away in an ambulance and his car has been towed away due to a fluid leak.

I've been forewarned in case I get a call asking for reassurance, what on earth could I say, barring kamikaze cycling chances are it's going to be his fault. Presumably the police have to be involved immediately and he would be arrested almost as quickly if it was clearly his fault?

Well over 30 years driving and have never had an accident (other than hitting a couple of stationary cars at low speed in a HGV) so have absolutely no knowledge of procedures. Anyone know what happens if it's a) definitely his fault b) might be his fault c) cyclists fault?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Accidents - what happens?

Post by murf »

Just make sure he stays off twitter!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25000788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In all seriousness I doubt the police will become involved unless somebody contacts them. Presumably that would be the cyclist if anyone and they will go on to interview people (including driver) from there. I guess...

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

From my experience of knowing lots of people that have been knocked off their bikes, I think that he doesn't need to worry too much about arrest unless he was clearly doing something stupid (dangerous driving, driving without due care, leaving the scene etc).

If there are witnesses that can say that he was driving recklessly or was acting deliberately to hit the cyclist (not as unusual as you might think) then he might find himself in court. Can only think of one incident off hand that resulted in a court appearance and that was where the passenger leant out of the window and punched one of my riding mates (because he was riding on the road not the footpath :roll: ). Has to be proved beyond all reasonable doubt anyway, which is a high hurdle to get over.

If the cyclist was injured then the police should have been involved at the scene. If there was an ambulance and tow truck then I'd guess that the police were there as well.

Generally its a SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) and an insurance claim. It is generally the motorists 'fault' when it comes to insurance (ie in more cases) but there isn't any presumption (in this country) of motorists fault so it will come down to the circumstances, although unless the cyclist didn't have lights or was jumping a red light or came straight out a side road without looking it's probably the drivers fault.

A little odd that the car was towed away due to a fluid leak. Cyclists are fairly soft compared to cars and don't usually do much damage to the car. Hope he/she is OK. Too many cyclists getting hurt on the roads.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Hmph, getting stuff 3rd hand.

Incident was at a roundabout, motorcyclist in front (not a cyclist), gap in the traffic, motorbike didn't go, very low speed bump but enough to hole the radiator of the car. The motorcyclist has apparently brushed it off as "one of those things". Sounds like the only damage to the motorbike was superficial and the ambulance unnecessary.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Is the the same step-son-in-law? :?

Btw, some dost bint on her mobile at a roundabout did this to me in reverse - ie she didn't go on the roundabout in a massive gap, with me behind her. My one and only clipless pedal incident, and obviously she was "in control" of a 4x4.....

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote:Is the the same step-son-in-law? :?
No, she's separated from her husband, this is a relatively new relationship, several months in, he's moved down from Oxford to move in with her, gets on well with the baby and has a job!!!

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

If anyone was injured or there was damage to any roadside furniture, other property, then police have to attend and report.
He would have been told at scene if they were reporting him for anything

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”