To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Cycling laws

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
Biscuitman
FISOhead
FS Record: 10th TFFO 2009/10

Cycling laws

Post by Biscuitman »

This is not an anti-cycling thread, but I am just curious, in the light of fast-moving developments in current cycling popularity and kit, as to the legal position on the following.

Lights - is it legal for cyclists to have flashing lights on the back/front of a bicycle, or on their person/helmet etc?
Lights - is there a legal limit on the strength/brightness of the lights, assuming they are not "dipped" like car headlamps?
Speed - is it legal for a cyclist to cycle at very low speed on a narrow road for a lengthy period of time, with a long string of cars behind, unable to overtake?
Speed - is it legal for a cyclist to cycle at high speed in a crowded urban situation?
Highway Code - what legal standing does this have?

I suspect there is no hard and fast answer to the "Speed" points, but perhaps there is to the others?

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Re: Cycling laws

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

You overlooked 'do red lights at pedestrian crossings apply to cyclists?', evidently not.

Biscuitman
FISOhead

Post by Biscuitman »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:You overlooked 'do red lights at pedestrian crossings apply to cyclists?', evidently not.
No, that is obviously against the law. This is not an anti-cycling thread (and I hope not to get counters like "but what is the situation regarding motorists who don't give cyclists enough leeway when overtaking?" - this is a different subject.) I do appreciate it may be emotive as a topic. I simply don't know what the position is regarding my questions. I have opinions on them, of course, but what is the current situation objectively?

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Should help:

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biscuitman
FISOhead

Post by Biscuitman »

Spencer4 wrote:Should help:

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Spencer4, that's as clear as it's going to get, I imagine. Flashing lights allowed, much of the rest open to interpretation.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Biscuitman wrote:This is not an anti-cycling thread, but I am just curious, in the light of fast-moving developments in current cycling popularity and kit, as to the legal position on the following.

Lights - is it legal for cyclists to have flashing lights on the back/front of a bicycle, or on their person/helmet etc?
Lights - is there a legal limit on the strength/brightness of the lights, assuming they are not "dipped" like car headlamps?
Speed - is it legal for a cyclist to cycle at very low speed on a narrow road for a lengthy period of time, with a long string of cars behind, unable to overtake?
Speed - is it legal for a cyclist to cycle at high speed in a crowded urban situation?
Highway Code - what legal standing does this have?

I suspect there is no hard and fast answer to the "Speed" points, but perhaps there is to the others?
Broadly speaking, cyclists riding on the road are subject to the same rules as cars or motorbikes, with the exception of being able to use advanced stop lines.

Lights are a bit of a minefield. The law is useless (way out of date) but flashing lights are fine (strictly speaking to be legal you should also have a solid white front light)

V bright lights can be an issue. No real law covering it afaik but discourteous and dangerous to run a 2000 lumen off road light on the roads.

Third point is discourteous (depending on the circumstances). In the same way that tractors should pull over every 10 mins or so to let cars past, a cyclist shouldn't hold traffic up unnecessarily for long periods of time. If it's a few minutes then fine, but if you're being followed by a stream of traffic for 5 mins plus with no-one able to overtake then you probably should let people past. Can't think of a time that anyone's been stuck behind me for more than a minute or so though. Generally if there's nowhere to overtake then tough, wait like you would if you were behind a caravan or tractor. There is a point beyond which it's a bit nebbish not to let people past though, but it depends on the road and traffic.

Crowded urban environment? Depends. Bikes will probably be going faster than cars. As long as you're not riding dangerously then fine. Go whatever speed you want, although it's wise not to go too fast as pedestrians can step out between stationery traffic and cars often try to block your path deliberately.

Highway Code is advisory I think, although if you ever went to court and you were breaking the Highway Code then I suspect that it wouldn't be viewed favourably.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

6 cyclists now killed on London's streets in a fortnight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24989985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a statistical quirk or is something going on??? Usually less than 1 a fortnight on average.

(I guess the question of whether this spate of deaths is only getting media attention because of the blinkered Londoncentric media is one for another thread...)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Is there still a Cycling Proficiency test?

I remember them coming to the school and setting up a course in the playground when I was young.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Surprised wrote:Is there still a Cycling Proficiency test?

I remember them coming to the school and setting up a course in the playground when I was young.
Our daughter recently did "bikability" at school and is the equivalent to our Cycling proficiency back in our day.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Richt wrote:

Our daughter recently did "bikability" at school and is the equivalent to our Cycling proficiency back in our day.

Is it as popular? It almost seemed as if cycling proficiency was mandatory although that was probably the school trying to get as many as possible to take it.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Surprised wrote:
Richt wrote:

Is it as popular? It almost seemed as if cycling proficiency was mandatory although that was probably the school trying to get as many as possible to take it.
Less popular than the old cycling proficiency, but gaining in popularity and actually far better than the old ride round a few cones thing. Most cycling clubs get involved and help to run the courses.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

unc.si. wrote: Lights are a bit of a minefield. The law is useless (way out of date) but flashing lights are fine (strictly speaking to be legal you should also have a solid white front light)

V bright lights can be an issue. No real law covering it afaik but discourteous and dangerous to run a 2000 lumen off road light on the roads
Maybe you'll know Unc; but my mate who rides motor bikes said that motorcyclists were advised NOT to have their headlamp on - as its harder for other road users to gauge distances.

So Ive put 2+2 together and assumed thats why we now see the flashing light instead (used by cyclists)?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Not sure about the gauging distances bit. The main thing in town at night is making sure you're seen, and a flashing light catches drivers attention more than a solid light, especially amongst a backdrop of car lights, shop lights, street lights etc.

Struggling to see how no light would be an advantage, but maybe your mate means that on a well lit road it's easier to judge distance if you can see the object (ie motorbike) clearly rather than just seeing a big bright light, which does make sense. Too much of a risk of not being seen at all for me though. Surprising how bikes can disappear against the background at night, especially if it's wet and there's lots of reflections.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I think it was more related to motor cycles riding with their light on in the day.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:I think it was more related to motor cycles riding with their light on in the day.
I think they are dangerous as they distract from everything else. My previous car (not a Volvo!) came with the lights on during the day as a default - I took it to the garage and got them to reprogramme it. Hopefully they have learnt their lesson as my current car (same manufacturer) didn't have the same issue.

I'd argue the same (at night) for those nasty 'blue' LED lights many modern cars seem to have.

Anyway, back to bikes... I didn't like 'dynamo' lights as a kid because they turned off when you stopped at traffic lights - would have been a good excuse to go through on red :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”