To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

"Slippery Road" light permanently on dashboard

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

"Slippery Road" light permanently on dashboard

Post by bluenosey »

Hi all - any ideas what this could be ?

The light was on all day yesterday but car seems OK, apart from the steering feels heavy. I was wondering if it may be something to do with the wheel bearings ?

I had my alternator replaced in January so hopefully that rules that out.

Before I take it to the garage I'm just tring to work out what potentially could be wrong be and how much it could conceivably cost...

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Re: "Slippery Road" light permanently on dashboard

Post by hornet »

Traction control light?

Mine looks like a "slippery road" sign.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Cheers Hornet :)

I didn't even know my car had traction control :o

It's enabled me to Google in more detail and I've even found a specific thread for cdti 150 astras.

Could be a steering sensor and needs re calibrating. I'm really hoping it is because I also found another thread where the Engine Control Unit had failed. It was a telephone number price to put right :(

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Just take the dashboard fuse out so it doesnt light up 8-) :wink: problem solves.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Achiles74 wrote:Just take the dashboard fuse out so it doesnt light up 8-) :wink: problem solves.
Which is the high tech version of putting a bit of electrical tape over the offending light. :wink:

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

Is it possible you have inadvertently turned the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) off? Normally this would be on with no light on the dash, but I found while fiddling with Mrs Alchemist's Ford Focus C-Max dash trip computer that I could turn it off which resulted in 2 squiggly lines on the dash.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

My engine light (orange, constant) suddenly came on a few days ago (Citroen C3), as the handbook was not immediately at hand I looked up what I should do online.
It appeared I should take it to a dealer asap, because the light was not flashing it was not critical, I took it at the first opportunity.
They did a diagnosis, could not find any fault, so they re-installed the software, after which no problem was indicated.
They did charge £110.00 for the diagnosis though.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:My engine light (orange, constant) suddenly came on a few days ago (Citroen C3), as the handbook was not immediately at hand I looked up what I should do online.
It appeared I should take it to a dealer asap, because the light was not flashing it was not critical, I took it at the first opportunity.
They did a diagnosis, could not find any fault, so they re-installed the software, after which no problem was indicated.
They did charge £110.00 for the diagnosis though.

:lol: or you could always for free just take the fuse out rather than being charge 110 quid for pressing the reset switch :wink:

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Cheers for the above input.

I've looked in more detail and its the electronic stability control light. Very similar to traction control.

Hopefully my garage (who aren't rip off merchants) will be able to sort.

Trouble is with these electronic systems you never know....

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Things have moved on. Alas, not in a good way.

The car went into the garage for a diagnosis last Friday. Apparently their is a fault with the ABS pump. The receptionist said I could pick one up off e-bay. Not really keen on a second hand part, I said how much would it cost for a new part. After ten minutes she phoned back.

Apparently a new ABS pump only comes with the ECU (Engine Control Unit). I now that's like the car's think tank. Vauxhall only sell the two parts together. Cost would be £1,500 plus labour.

I sat down :shock:

No way I am forking this out on a 56 reg car. only 44K on the clock ! It's almost half of what it's worth. Sod that.

Anyway, got the Green Flag guy to come round this morning whilst at work. He plugged in his diagnosis machine, looked at all readings and the only thing not working is the Traction Control. He just warned me not to "drive the car like an idiot"

Taking this a step forward and still with the warning light on the dash, I said would it pass it's MOT ? The guy said yes, which cheered me up no end until I Googled. Apparently due to new EU legislation ( :evil: ) anything showing as a warning light - even though not necessary i.e. a heated seat - will no longer pass. Can anyone clarify this ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Take out the fuse, or light bulb :idea:

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote:Take out the fuse, or light bulb :idea:
That had crossed my mind but if I part ex it, I would feel bad if someone bought it and I'd hidden the fault and passed it on to them.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”