To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Family Car 2

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Family Car 2

Post by unc.si. »

OK. May be doing a lot more driving with work soon. Currently drive a LWB Landrover, which does about 27mpg, but probably need something a bit more fuel friendly. Would probably be able to double that fuel efficiency with a modern car

Needs to be comfortable on long journeys but big enough to get a family in, plus luggage. Also needs to be big enough to get a bike in the boot with the front wheel off without being a squeeze. Don't particularly want an MPV through, and after 5 years driving around in the Landie I'd feel a bit stupid in some pissy little 4*4 'Softroader'

Not bothered about premium brands just to commute up and down the motorway, so no A6's, E class's or 5 series tourers.

Mondeo Estate is the obvious, but alternatives like a Passat Estate, Hyundai i40 Tourer or Skoda Superb would probably do the job and all seem to get decent reviews. Probably get a low mileage ex demo or ex fleet, rather than brand new, unless I get a spectacular deal on a new one.

Will be sorting test drives in next few weeks, but wondered if any FISO'ers have got any of those cars or similar, or if anyone has any other ideas.

Going to be a sad day when the landie goes, but just can't justify it any more, plus its done 100k miles so it's probably time to find it a good home with someone else.

(started a new thread as requirements are a bit different to Ironfists)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Re: Family Car 2

Post by WilBert »

What pricerange/age are you looking at unc?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Dacia Dusters are very nice.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:What pricerange/age are you looking at unc?
no more than 1 year old, less than 15k miles on the clock. Possibly a low mileage demo or pre-reg. £15k to £18k I guess.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Achiles74 wrote:Dacia Dusters are very nice.
1. No they're not
2. see opening post - It'll be shit on the motorway
3. see opening post -
after 5 years driving around in the Landie I'd feel a bit stupid in some pissy little 4*4 'Softroader'
4. It looks like crap

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Have a play around on pistonheads.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's got a nice toggle now for price/age/miles etc.

A Subaru would be a natural anti-pretentious stepping stone for you but a bit thirsty. Volvo V50/60? My choice would be Seat Exeo Estate.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... iment=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:Have a play around on pistonheads.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's got a nice toggle now for price/age/miles etc.

A Subaru would be a natural anti-pretentious stepping stone for you but a bit thirsty. Volvo V50/60? My choice would be Seat Exeo Estate.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... iment=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers WilBert.

I guess that Seat's the Passat equivalent. Not heard of them tbh but I'll have a look.

Volvo's not a bad shout either. Never really fancied Subaru, but worth a look.

Cheers

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Whisper it but Skoda Estates get good reviews and should be cheapish second hand.

I traded my sporty car in for an Estate ( not Skoda!) a couple of years back and it isn't as bad a change as feared.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

do you really need to spend that much Unc? Most modern diesels seem to do 150-200k motorway miles.

I think you could get a decent 3-4 year old 2.0 diesel mondeo or under £10k that has 100k miles left in it, and keep the rest for a new bike?

e.g.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 019600519/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

tommymooney wrote:Most modern diesels seem to do 150-200k motorway miles./
Is that on a full tank?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

murf wrote:Whisper it but Skoda Estates get good reviews and should be cheapish second hand.

I traded my sporty car in for an Estate ( not Skoda!) a couple of years back and it isn't as bad a change as feared.

My mate has got an Octavia Estate and loves it. Takes a family of four camping with multiple tents and luggage etc, eats up the motorway miles.

If you didn't have the MPV caveat I'd say a Touran/Sharan. Easier to park if you're going to let the ladies in your life have the keys :wink: :lol:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Tricky Tree wrote:
tommymooney wrote:Most modern diesels seem to do 150-200k motorway miles./
Is that on a full tank?
you might have to fill up occasionally :wink:

To illustrate my point though, here is one with 240,000 on the clock. Almost to to the moon.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 211186525/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

or you could have this Skoda Octavia with 311,000 :shock:

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 311458738/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(can you find a car with more!!!)

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Just because you mentioned the Mondeo Estate I think this car is worth a mention too... the Subaru Outback which is an incredible car.
If you have (up to) 2 kids then it's THE car to have.
Cheap, very user friendly and reliable, lots of room, 4x4... excellent - if I may borrow a local term - VFM. The TopGear verdict is: "Better to drive than an SUV, and able give a decent account of itself when it’s slippy and a bit bumpy. Nice engines, great chassis and lots of kit for the money. The new diesel overcomes the only previous objection: fuel cost."

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Unc what about a new seat toledo..........can pick one up top spec for about £16k..........

im certainly looking at one for when my company car goes back in May

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

tommymooney wrote:do you really need to spend that much Unc? Most modern diesels seem to do 150-200k motorway miles.

I think you could get a decent 3-4 year old 2.0 diesel mondeo or under £10k that has 100k miles left in it, and keep the rest for a new bike?

e.g.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 019600519/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a 2l Mondeo Titanium X, 59 plate diesel for myself and missus went for an Insignia Estate, 09 plate diesel last year, both under 8k, both nice cars. Use the missus' car to nip over to Calais, carries 30+ cases of wine no problem, anything else we use mine, once you've used heated seats there is no going back!

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Darbyand wrote:
murf wrote:Whisper it but Skoda Estates get good reviews and should be cheapish second hand.

My mate has got an Octavia Estate and loves it. Takes a family of four camping with multiple tents and luggage etc, eats up the motorway miles.

If you didn't have the MPV caveat I'd say a Touran/Sharan. Easier to park if you're going to let the ladies in your life have the keys :wink: :lol:
I liked the Superb Estates I drove at work over the summer so much I've just changed the Jag for an Octavia (Hatchback). Superbs were just out of my price range.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

The Superb I drove across Ireland was a great car.

Have decided to try and keep the Landie. It's not really depreciating any more and might even start to appreciate when they stop making them next year.

I lose a bit in fuel costs, but I'm not taking a big depreciation hit. Depends how much time I spend in Sheffield really. Costs me £100 a week in fuel if I was there every day, but I'll probably only be there 50% of the time at most and I get a good mileage rate if I go anywhere else.

We'll see how it goes when I start there in May, but struggling to part with it at the moment.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

The noise and the vibration over those distances will leave you incapable or of highlighting a row in a spreadsheet with any accuracy though :P

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Yep. Noisy, bumpy, draughty, leaks when it rains, steering needs constant correction, turning circle of the Ark Royal, only 28mpg, eats suspension bushes, can't get in most multi storey car parks and takes about 20 minutes for the heater to start working.

Best car ever. Irreplaceable.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Someone offered me £13k for the Landie the other day. It only cost me £17k about 6 years ago. £750 a year depreciation - I'll take that :D

Although the new C Class's are nice. Might get the wife one then I can drive it every now and then but still keep the Landie - best of both worlds.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

unc.si. wrote: 31 Jan 2014, 21:39
Achiles74 wrote:Dacia Dusters are very nice.
1. No they're not
2. see opening post - It'll be shit on the motorway
3. see opening post -
after 5 years driving around in the Landie I'd feel a bit stupid in some pissy little 4*4 'Softroader'
4. It looks like crap
Hired a Dacia Duster in Iceland this evening. Was the only 4WD that they had apart from huge trucks that would have been a bit OTT to be honest. It is indeed a bit shit, although I guess for the price you get what you pay for.

Can't help feeling I'm going to get laughed at when I turn up at work tomorrow though. It's white as well.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”