To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Reset set for 22nd March

A forum for discussion of Football Manager.
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Reset set for 22nd March

Post by Vid »

Today all existing game worlds are being updated to v1.5 for managers to get a week to look at the final version that will be used from next week when everything is reset. I'm quite sure that there's going to be a lot more voicing their disapproval than will be happy with it having spent the last few weeks back in beta.

The biggest issue for many will be injuries, far too many of them in game and in an attempt to force users into playing a "squad game" a lot are "sticky", players can be out for 1-30 official games, always the top players, very rarely the 2nd or 3rd string and just like buses, don't see one for ages then 3 or 4 come along at the same time. For me this indicates stat filling which is also apparent in many other areas of the game. Red cards and suspensions also appear to be set to fall into a target range of occurrences rather than anything else.

A recent thread has complained that home form is too strong, this is dismissed by showing that home and away WDL stats are quite similar to last season's EPL. When you couple this with another common complaint, that the teams near the top of the league often lose to those near the bottom from around mid-season, the extrapolation is that the top clubs have to lose a few games, the bottom clubs have to win a few, so matches between the top 4 and bottom 4 are the easiest to manipulate to get the figures "right".

The skills system isn't going to be massively changed, but there are changes but at the end of the day it's still going to be the longer the time served the more skills a manager has. Not that many are really essential for your game play in my opinion, the management tree is the one where the biggest advantage can be gained, simply as it's where you can "learn" skills that will increase your income and cut your outgoings. Everything else has it's uses but cash is king, the more you have the better players you can have the more games you win and as income is going to be based on winning, the more cash you get back in. Of course having better players that are injured for most of the season isn't going to help you that much or if you're near the top from mid-season and still have to visit the teams in the bottom 4 or 5 ..............

There have been a number of changes to the wage the finances work, most importantly players' wage demands will rocket as their reputation (but not necessarily ability) and your own club's reputation rises, I think it's inevitable that a lot of managers will unwittingly follow the Leeds route to destruction, a brief spell near the top followed instantly by financial ruin. No-one knows how any of this will pan out, how GWs economies will develop, whether players with massive wage demands will be saleable, whether there are any tricks or exploits to be able to sustain a squad of galacticos. It hasn't been tested or maybe there is a beta GW that is a week or two into it, no time to see what might go wrong and fix it.

The new squad selection at reset will be each manager gets a roughly equal pool of 50 players to choose his squad from, a full mix of lowish grade players, some decent veterans with only a season or two left, some youth that may or may not have a future ahead of them and maybe one or two in between that could prove useful for a few seasons. Higher rep players will be drip fed into the game as the first season starts, with it taking a few seasons for the established stars to be made available in game, if anyone can afford them.

Subs will be monthly from reset, £4.99 recurring. Not overly expensive I'd say but I'd question whether there's value in it. The first 3 months are going to be deliberately slow but I'm sure some managers will find a way to race off into the distance, whether they can stay there or not is a different matter.

All in all, it remains a game that has great promise but as with the initial launch this feels rushed and not ready and that we're returning to what is essentially pay to beta. Maybe in 6 months it can be tweaked enough to be marketed properly, if it's pushed out to the World earlier I very much doubt they'll keep new subscribers past the first few days let alone months.

Vid
Head Moderator

Re: Reset set for 22nd March

Post by Vid »

Something like 5 weeks in the ME is still shite, the game is incredibly tedious, less and less managers online. Not sure whether there's a period when a lot of subs are up for renewal at the same time (for those that haven't signed up to the £4.99/ month as yet) but given the high levels of inactivity maybe a lot are gone already. I've 3 weeks left on one sub and a couple of months on the other and I still have an unused 3 month sub code to decide what to do with.

My viewpoint is that the game is going even further towards a niche market and therefore uneconomic for Sega, 4-6 months until the plug gets pulled.

Vid
Head Moderator

Re: Reset set for 22nd March

Post by Vid »

Just received my 2nd infraction for trolling :shock:

I've suggested to the mod that issued it that he looks up the definition and has another go :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Manager”