To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Very overdue update

A forum for discussion of Football Manager.
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Very overdue update

Post by Vid »

I feel like I've been playing this and getting frustrated by it forever now, I constantly feel like making very long winded posts both here and on their forums but fortunately other issues crop up, the main one being that I just can't be arsed!

We're currently on version 1.2.1, still running the same match engine (ME) since release, an "updated" version of the one used in FM09.

There are various blogs available from the developers http://blogs.sega.com/fml/2009/08/24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which gives you their viewpoint on how things are going. There is also a road map giving the "improvements" planed over the next few months to about a year or so (blogs 29-31 July).

Currently there are 34 game worlds in existence. each with a capacity of 1000 managers, the official website (http://www.footballmanagerlive.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) shows that they are populated from 37% up to one GW with 100%, the majority at 40-60%, my GW (Cantona) shows at 63%, well the count I did a couple of weeks ago showed only 500 registered and 400 of those active, meaning that around 20% of the population are managers that have paid their subs but haven't actively managed their teams for weeks or even months. Also in there will be teams belonging to managers that have moved GWs but the teams remain in place (they are held for 2 years!).

That was a benefit to me as I moved GWs a couple of months ago to a new "pro" GW (which meant I moved with all skills in tact) but decided to move back for the start of this, the current 11th season in Cantona. Even though I had no players (it would seem foolishly I just released them before the move gaining no cash from whoever picked them up, a mistake I didn't make when leaving Whiteside, if I decide to go back in the next couple of moths I will have gained from these players being bought by others) but my stadium remained, something I'd spent several million on constructing.

The current ME sucks big time, Ov Collyer (if you've played CM/FM you know who he is) may well be right in it being the best out there (I wouldn't know) but it is so full of inconsistencies and flaws and just down right poor programming that in my opinion says it's just not up to the job. Any complaints over the months have just been rebuffed by the stock answer " the ME is under constant review", the current reply is "haven't you read the roadmaps? A new ME is in final testing" One of the testers has told me that even though the write-up reads well, it is no better.

Since beta (I no longer have access to the beta forum) so many criticisms get shouted down by the same handful of people, all of whom seem to have progressed to be mods, kissing ass really works! Complaints and criticism are routinely stifled, anyone that thinks that mods here can be heavy handed wouldn't survive more than a couple of posts there! A couple of days ago around one third of the general discussion forum threads had been locked, how often do you see locked threads on FISO?

It is my opinion that the game, whilst promising so much, fails to deliver and will continue to do so pure and simply as a result of those SI have decided to trust and given power to. I don't see the current testing as likely to be any different to what I experienced, the majority just playing for free whilst the most vocal group will only praise the game and shout down en masse anyone with a different/negative view.

I'm not sure if they're still offering 21 day free trials, some that I've spoken to that have asked friends to try it have said that they've been embarrassed by what they've allowed their friends to get caught up in.

Beware! If you do try a "free" trial you have to give credit card details, if you do not cancel it you will be charged!

The same goes if you take any sub, it is recurring, it has to be cancelled!

If you do want to try it for a longer period buy the boxed version online (just do a google) £14-£15 for a 4 month sub, massively cheaper than via the website.

My initial sub runs until early November, I cancelled the website recurring charge about a month ago to be safe. The core players are ex-beta testers whose subs will run out at the same time, if a high % of them go then many GWs that are teetering on the brink will die. I've bought 3 boxes to extend another year (hoping that somewhere along the line the game will improve to be enjoyable) but won't use one until the last minute, expecting that there'll be a greater discount available when SI/Sega go into panic mode.

It is very difficult for me to go beyond the failings of the ME at present, the favoured and most successful formation at present is 4-3-3-0, yep, no forwards is the best way to score loads of goals! I've not had terrible results playing 1-4-1-4-0 either, one defender and no forwards!

Anyone could try the game as it is and think that it's absolutely great (I won't understand why, but some seem to) regardless of it's flaws, maybe the roadmap and imminent changes will improve it, maybe they won't. I'll find out in time but for anyone watching their pennies and their time, my advice is to steer clear. If the money doesn't really matter and you want to be in a good position should the game ever reach a playable standard then the longer you're in it the more skills you learn so the better off you'll be against fresh starters.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Manager”