To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FML going live

A forum for discussion of Football Manager.
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

FML going live

Post by Vid »

It's been announced that plans for the live launch are now in place

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=39296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are now starting to take pre-orders for the game (client will be a free download, subs are £22.99/ 3months, £43.99/ 6 months, £72.99/ 1 year)

Initially 14 Game Worlds will be launched (1000 players/ GW so 14k places) in the first few weeks of release (October is given as the start month) once those 14 GWs are full 6 more will be populated one at a time so 20k places during the "launch window". They then "hope" to launch a new GW every few days as places are taken up to January when they will pushing marketing and PR.

I'll attempt to sort out a decent report of my experiences of beta since February during the next month.

My viewpoint is generally negative at present (and I don't see it changing for the better) but areas that I consider that make the game poor value may not be issues for other people. Anybody else that has been involved in testing please make your comments here or start your own thread.

Vid
Head Moderator

Re: FML going live

Post by Vid »

With the first of the live game worlds due to be opened sometime in October the last week hasn't been a good one for Sports Interactive, Sega and a large number of the beta testers.

What initially showed up as a problem with the log in servers turned out to be a sizeable hardware failure last Wednesday. 5 GWs (including 3 of the oldest) were taken out and it seems that large blocks of data have been lost/ corrupted, no data back up (or that's gone too, not quite sure).

We've been told that this can't happen after release (although they apparently believed that what has happened couldn't happen in the first place!) as back ups will be in place, clearly with just a matter of weeks to go this hasn't been tested so they'll have no idea at all if lightning strikes twice whether the back up system will work.

I'm not sure what's happening with the GWs that are running but looking at the forums the same complaints/ bugs are still the leading topics.

If you do want to get in early on it regardless I believe that after the beta testers those that have registered through the main site http://www.footballmanagerlive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will be the next to be given the option to sign up. It is a very addictive game with a great many annoyances (for me anyway) - the initial cost may not be off putting for those familiar with CM/FM, all I'll say for now is that if anyone here does sign up it may be best if you don't get too attached to your team and players :-)

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

I was addicted to this for a month but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

If anyone does fancy it I have a half price subscription offer that I can pass on (I assume they are transferrable).

Sumo

Post by Sumo »

tedbull wrote:I was addicted to this for a month but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

If anyone does fancy it I have a half price subscription offer that I can pass on (I assume they are transferrable).
Yes please :D My brother has been involved with the beta also- but he has already subscribed at the discount price and it won't let me redeem his code again (45936079001F9451) :x
Thanking you in advance for your kind gesture :)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

The first of the subscription game worlds goes live tomorrow evening, the rest of the initial GWs come online at fairly regular intervals for the next month or so (some have yet to have firm dates given). GW "Cantona" has been fully subscribed for some time now (it came as a surprise to me to receive an email saying that's the one I've entered, I'll find out for sure tomorrow). There are spaces available in most of those set to enter over the next few days should anyone wish to do so.

The game goes live with a lot of known bugs and flaws, some of which won't be addressed until the planned January release of version 1.0.1 (my assertion that we have entered a "pay to beta" phase hasn't been taken kindly in some quarters) and it wouldn't surprise me if some issues never get fixed to please everyone and whether such issues will be enough to put off the paying public enough to force matters or not.

As I've paid a year's subs (half price for beta testers) and have a long term strategy which involves doing very little for several months with in all probability a couple of GW switches along the way, what is and isn't working won't affect my game play as such as I'm not intending to spend a lot of time actually playing the game until I've built up the skills I'm after (just a matter of logging in for a few minutes here and there, daily initially then after a while once a week or so).

In my opinion a lot of the game's concepts are either weak or not set up in such a way as to encourage active participation if you're not prepared to spend 4 or 5 hours playing daily. The big question is just what is going to happen when the initial subs run out, how many will renew or walk away, the state of the game play will determine that of course and for me a lot of improvement is required to keep/ attract those outside of the hardcore users. Time will tell.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Any update from anyone on this? Have there been improvements, is it VFM?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Manager”