To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Football Manager LIVE

A forum for discussion of Football Manager.
AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Football Manager LIVE

Post by AKNel1 »

Due out Spring 2008

You can register to be a Beta tester here

http://www.footballmanagerlive.com/en/a ... index.html

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

just registered, it'll be interesting to see how and if this works remembering Sky's attempt to do the same thing

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Post by Chrisharry12345 »

i love fm but im not paying £10 a month to play... :(

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

just had the email inviting me to take part in testing, should be interesting

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Vid wrote:just had the email inviting me to take part in testing, should be interesting
same, see how it goes :)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Having played this for a week and a half now I have a very negative view of the game, hugely disappointed in it.

Overview of the game -

The game world (I believe there are two at present) comprises of just under 1000 managers testing, the idea being to sign up to a Federation that best suits your availability, some have many leagues and hundreds of managers (obviously the popular times - evenings/ weekends) mine has 6! Not many others wishing to play mainly in the afternoons then!

Each Federation has a number of leagues for promotion/ relegation & cup games, mine of course only has the one league of 6 (although there is provision for more), bottom 6 get relegated :-) Most leagues have game prize money for finishing position, this to supplement your transfer/ wage activity, mine has a prize fund of £0, no great reason to compete! So far I've played 2 league games against the same person, lost both so he's top and I'm bottom and I've not seen any of the other 4 online to play matches, ho hum.

Initial team set up can be done automatically or you can find your own players, wishing to get on with it and assuming that I'd get a roughly competitive squad I used the auto route, should have known better! I wouldn't use a lucky dip selection for a FF team that would be locked in so why did I think that this would be of any use??? So my first major mistake was to use this and of course I am struggling and will continue to do so as a result. I have some really crap players in my squad!

There is the possibility of restarting the game afresh but there are two very good reasons that at this stage it would be a massive waste of time.

1) Managers have a star rating (max 5, increases in halves) that increases as more skills are researched, this is done by selecting from a mass of options (not many to start with but as each is researched then others are opened), each of which is achieved over a period of time, from minutes up to many days. I wasted over 24 hours at the start by not noticing this and it's not always possible to get online around the time that a current research is due to end to start the next.

2) There are of course finite players and more to the point only so many worth having, there is an acquisition fee and wages to pay, you start with a £100k wages budget. I've no idea how they manage it as I don't seem to be able to sign players that will put me into the red but a great many managers are in debt and over the past few days an increasing number are in admin (no idea what penalties there are within the game if any), a couple are in receivership and presumably soon they'll be declared bankrupt, again, no idea what effect this has on them or the game or to the players they have in their squads.

More and more of the really top players are being signed by teams (again many in debt) and I've played one that has a squad of over 50 players, he basically trawled through the 15-18 yos and signed as many of the good ones as he could. He won't be the only one doing this.

There is a level I can compete at with my squad but against those that have signed one or more of the very top players I have no chance whatsoever. Then of course is the ever so annoying factor in these games that even if you are managing okay in a match that one of your players will choose to make a blunder or get sent off to destroy any chances that you might have had.

There is incredible lag at times, so clearly the servers aren't up to a few hundred online at the same time, a few thousand should be absolute misery.

I've played CM/FM since they started and have been disappointed greatly by some versions, this is going to be another one. It's certainly not worth anyone paying a subscription to play, human opponents are all well and good and can provide some interesting battles but as so many are playing outside of the spirit of the game (in my opinion) I for one will become increasingly frustrated by not being able to compete on any level.

Forgot to mention, the game appears to reward those that can live online, fortunately I have a life and this is too much hassle as it is. I will keep it ticking over for the time being but without wasting much time on it.

How are you finding it Chrisharry?

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

i havent played it yet... how did you start playing? they asked me if i was interested but nothing has come of it

im guessing they arent using the servers to full capacity though, its probably just that way for testing. plus thats what your testing it for i suppose!

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

I had an email from Sega on 28th Feb "Congratulations on being selected to test FML" with download instructions

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

i had the same, WITHOUT any d/l instructions... any chance you could link me to the download?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

I've been testing this for ages now, I might actually get around to making a stab at a report here soon :-)

In the next few days all current testers will be allowed to invite 5 new testers each, anyone really into CM/ FM and prepared to give their lives over to a very addictive and annoying game please post here. I think there's only one of the 5 I have spoken for at the mo and I don't know if Chris is still actively testing and has any of his 5 spare.

I'll try to get a bit of info up soon to give more details of how involved the game is and what to expect for those interested. First to post will get the invite, definitely 3 going spare possibly 4 from me and maybe some of Chris'.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Either wasn't invited initially or missed the e/mail - would like a go if still spaces available, cheers 8-)

Vid
Head Moderator

Re: Football Manager LIVE

Post by Vid »

Anyone else interested? If so PM me with your email address so that I can recommend you ASAP, not sure if I have to do any recommendations in one go or if I can do them individually. When I receive AKNel1's email address I'll be submitting his and one other, 3 spare spots at the moment, possibly the later I leave it the less chance of something like 5-600 places available already being taken.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Sorry to any late comers, I submitted my list yesterday so that those that had already asked wouldn't miss out if I left it too late.

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

Anyone else able to reccommend?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Just a quick word to say it seems that the big push is on for release very soon.

They reckon the game is playable enough to release and only have to sort out their servers.

For me the match engine has a great many flaws and some of the in game ideas weren't thought out well in the first place but it's very clear that they're sticking with them regardless. My view is that there's an almighty push to get this live to coincide with the start of the season and it will be if they can cut the massive lag that occurs when a couple of hundred out of the 1000 managers per game world sign in (or try to) at the same time.

The game is very addictive without question but there serious frustrations too. The game is not friendly to the casual player, especially if you want to be competitive. I'll try to expand more in the near future but as the season approaches my free time will be going to FF so a possible rushed release may have to pass with little comment.

Would I pay to play this game? As it stands, no.

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Vid wrote:Just a quick word to say it seems that the big push is on for release very soon.

They reckon the game is playable enough to release and only have to sort out their servers.

For me the match engine has a great many flaws and some of the in game ideas weren't thought out well in the first place but it's very clear that they're sticking with them regardless. My view is that there's an almighty push to get this live to coincide with the start of the season and it will be if they can cut the massive lag that occurs when a couple of hundred out of the 1000 managers per game world sign in (or try to) at the same time.

The game is very addictive without question but there serious frustrations too. The game is not friendly to the casual player, especially if you want to be competitive. I'll try to expand more in the near future but as the season approaches my free time will be going to FF so a possible rushed release may have to pass with little comment.

Would I pay to play this game? As it stands, no.

I agree with you on all points to be honest.. I think the server stability isnt really good enough for the release.. I think the match engine is majorly flawed, with totally unrealistic scores. e.g a 10-12 aggregate score between two defensive based teams. The game is also too much based on speed. A striker with speed and acceleration of 18+ with finishing and composure of say only 14 (amoo for example) seem to slaughter defenses.

Despite saying all that the game is fun and so addictive.. but you need to be playing everynite for at least 1-2 hours to stand a chance of doing well.. I managed to get my team up to 17th in my gameworld despite starting in season 5 (5 seasons later than nearly the whole of the top 25) but I was playing ALOT

would i pay for it?

nope :(

I have offered my team to akneil (but i think he might actually be playing??) with no players but a 20mil budget (compared to the 100k you start the game with!) so a decent team can easily be bought.. he hasnt got back to me yet so if any fiso regulars want it pm me asap! the season starts soon so youd have to sign up tonite, tomorrow at the latest to be able to register for the league.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Manager”