To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Death of a Chairman

A Fantasy Football forum for news and views on Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman.
Svendy Ford
Kevin and Perry

Post by Svendy Ford »

Would people be interested in still paying, say, a fiver for the Fantasy Chairman format, but for a slightly smaller prize pool than The Guardian had to offer?

Another one for the petition here who is gutted about it being cancelled and would definitely pay to play, regardless of the prizes.
Last edited by Svendy Ford on 20 Jul 2006, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

nitcoot wrote:Put me out of my misery, bring it back! Fantasy Chairman is the best.
NITCOOT NO MATE? 8-)

Wellcome to the forum. :)

md_14uk

Post by md_14uk »

This line was in a recent e-mail with one of the lads at the guardian

"Our plans for next season's game are a little bit under wraps at the moment but keep a look out!"

So all hope is not lost...

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

md_14uk wrote:This line was in a recent e-mail with one of the lads at the guardian

"Our plans for next season's game are a little bit under wraps at the moment but keep a look out!"

So all hope is not lost...
An email from the guardian? That sounds to me like they will put out a fantasy football game, but not Fantasy Chairman, which of course is what all of us here want and are hoping for, so that doesn't really help.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

I love Marmite. And I love Fantasy Chairman. Sort out the Monday morning problem (eg by allowing 'advance transfers') and this game would eventually beat all the rest. I'm surprised no-one else has stepped in and offered to run it. SOOOOO short-sighted of the Grauniad to pull the plug. :cry:
And thanks Mr Green for telling us the situation.

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

Doogal wrote:SOOOOO short-sighted of the Grauniad to pull the plug. :cry:
As someone who doesn't buy the paper that much can someone please tell me what Grauniad means and where it came from, is it just an annogram of guardian?

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

wabu wrote:
Doogal wrote:SOOOOO short-sighted of the Grauniad to pull the plug. :cry:
As someone who doesn't buy the paper that much can someone please tell me what Grauniad means and where it came from, is it just an annogram of guardian?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian
Oldie thing like Doogal :wink:
Last edited by C.Sativa on 21 Jul 2006, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

started i think in private eye, in honour of the grauniad's habit over the years of typos and spelling mistakes. computer spellcheckers have eradicated some but not all of these.

edit - c.sat just beat me to it.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

quizking wrote:started i think in private eye, in honour of the grauniad's habit over the years of typos and spelling mistakes. computer spellcheckers have eradicated some but not all of these.

edit - c.sat just beat me to it.
Brother was a reader at The Guadian, as well as "Father of the chapel" there in the 70's,
allways been amused at its left stance, that for sure was not reflected in the life style of its contributors in them days.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

i was sorry to see the game go as it clearly damages ofl coffers and we have them to thank for getting fantasy games going in this country.

my own view of the game was the same as my view of marmite - bit like the guy in the ad :lol:

i agree with the ofl view that it is good to have variety though.

my main gripe and the reason i didn't even think of playing was the fact that if you couldn't process changes during normal working hours your chances were virtually nil.

i think the new sky game is the best designed new style i have seen in fantasy football and feel ofl have got it wrong a few times, most notably the changes to their champions league game.

i haven't played for a while largely due to my annoyance over the chaos that was the european championship game. as i posted at the time to mr green i'd likely play the world cup game and it was there chance to comeback with a bang by running the game well. unfortunately i didn't play as i couldn't access their site to enter!!

if anyone can confirm the game was well run apart from that i might have a go at the ofl classic game for the first time for a few years.

good luck to ofl in the coming season.

andy.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

OFL classic is my second favourite game, and it was well run last year.

By the way, thankyou C. Sativa, for so kindly drawing attention to the fact that someone who reads Private Eye must be old! I though Sativa meant 'cultivated?' :P

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

thanks for that doogal. it's good to hear positive feedback, i was asking about the world cup game, but that is good to hear. no downtime of any sort at critical times last year presumably

thanks again,

andy.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Doogal »

Ah sorry - didn't play the World Cup game. But I confirm, no problems with transfers, substitutions, etc in OFL classic last year - all went smoothly for me (apart from doing really badly).

MERLIN
Wideboy
FS Record: Not bad but barren last few years

World cup Chairman

Post by MERLIN »

Did not exist it was a straight OFL game and did not even have values to the players it was a pure TWO player each nation game which get's frustrating at last knockings 'cos you are all grabbing the same players.

Mr Green
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Green »

Never say never regarding the Fantasy Chairman structure....although almost certainly nothing of this ilk will be implemented for the start of the 2006/7 season.

Unfortunately, it's certainly not quite as simple an equation as:

entry fee - prize payout = profit

There's betting duty (a whopping 17.5%), advertising, masses of technical expenses and expertise and external commission to name just a few things to consider, not to mention a proportion of staffing costs....

This is where many Fantasy Gaming companies come unstuck!

axel
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF superleague winner 08/09 & 11/12, Euro 08 superleague winner, 64th in TFC08, Fantasy Cricket 08/09 + 09/10 SL winner

Post by axel »

The Fantasy Fussball site now says a new Premiership competition will be launched next week, but I expect this to be a more standard 'points-based' competition.

Disappointed the Guardian are dropping the shares format, but it was very rigorous. Never know, the new comp might be decent competition for the smug and self-satisfied Telegraph.

http://www.fantasyfussball.com/

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

£75k of prizes? looks like it might be another franchise of the regular ofl game - that's their prize fund as well. mr green would know, but might not be allowed to say just yet if they are keeping to an official "launch". still hope it's a bit different though - all in favour of variety.
Last edited by quizking on 25 Jul 2006, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

I tought that running FF game is not that simple.Thats why there are not a lot successful FF games around.Most of them from newspapers.I think that shows one of the most important factor is advertising.But deciding to run a FF game just 3 weeks before the season starts,doesn't help on promotion I guess.I personally spent most of my FF budget already on the others.
Anyway at least something 8-) .Interesting to see what kind of FF Guardian is planing.My guess would be something like WC game.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

http://fantasyfootballchallenge.skyspor ... s&key=FFFC
This FF from Sky Sports looks interesting. 8-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman (Game ceased)”