To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Forscutt vs Edwards

A Fantasy Football forum for news and views on Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman.
Johnee
Kevin and Perry

Post by Johnee »

Very much so - but looking at how many teams Forscutt has on the monthly leaderboard, he must have entered hundreds by now over the course of the season. He has to be able to shore up the value of his leading team to some extent by transfers in the last few weeks.

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

Forscutt has 23 teams. If you use Mongoose's monster spreadsheet you can sort teams by chairman. Dipbad (41!!!), Nitcoot (33) and Turrell (24) all have more teams than Forscutt. Edwards has about 19 I think.

I guess that would be a couple teams for each monthly competition for the big guns. Dipbad must be gutted since he has spent the most on teams and is never going to get a return :lol:

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

I entered 5 teams at the beginning , then 1 per month until this month when i entered another 5 after my girlfriend reminded me i promised to win us a trip to Barcelona !

gynchie
Wideboy

Post by gynchie »

wabu wrote: ... Mongoose's monster spreadsheet ...
Wabu - I've got two Mongoose spreadsheets saved from January. How do I update them?

wabu
Treebeard

Post by wabu »

The only way to update them is to ask Mongoose nicely for an updated spreadsheet, as he uses his magic software for collecting the data automatically. He will be a big threat next year.

gynchie
Wideboy

Post by gynchie »

Thanks, I'll try being as nice as possible. The only way that I've got info has been team by team which is so longwinded that it's out of date almost before I've got to analyse it.

As for threats for next year, surely it's not just having the stats but the interpretation of them. There may be hope for the rest of us yet.

Thanks for the info on number of teams - it's interesting to try working out an optimal number. Forscutt has been impressive in getting his monthly and (especially) 2006 teams down below £100m.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

no score update from last night yet - has someone forgotten there was a match on?

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

I'm trying to forget that there was a match on!

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

it's been updated now.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Doogal wrote: That would be a gap of 3 million after next weekend with all to play for. Not over yet!!! (though don't discount Turrell either).
Not a bad forecast :wink:

Anyhow - the die is now cast - none of the top three have any transfers left!!
(A bit short sighted in my view in case of injury, but they are all in the same boat).
Have the chasers got enough different players to make up the difference? I doubt it now, myself. But it is not cut and dried. My forecast is Forscutt by about one and a half million.

Edit

Basically, all three have Reina, Finnan, Toure and Gerrard. In addition, Forscutt has sensibly copied Turrell's recent transfers, and both he and Turrell now have another 5 players in common - Henry, Adebayor, Lampard, Hyppia, Eboue. In other words, the match between the top two is simply 3 v 3 -
ie Boa Morte, Silva and Benitez (Turrell) v Carragher, Makelele and Mourinho (Forscutt). As Forcutt has a two million lead, and Silva is injured for at least one game, I think Forscutt can sleep easily there.

As for Andy Edwards v Forscutt it's an 8 v 8 game, so more chances of catchup:
Forscutt has 3 Arsenal (Eboue Henry Adebayor)
plus 3 Chelsea (Makelele Mourinho Lampard)
plus 2 Liverpool (Carragher and Hyppia)

Edwards has 1 Arsenal (Campbell)
Plus 3 Liverpool (Crouch Cisse Benitez)
Plus 2 Fulham (Diop Malbranque)
Plus 1 West Ham (Harewood)
Plus 1 Portsmouth defender :shock:

If you assume Campbell cancels out Eboue, it's down to (a) the market on the Liverpools and West Ham in the last week (AndyE could gain half a million here maybe) plus performance of the Liverpool strikers v the Arsenal strikers (I think Forscutt has the edge here) plus Chelsea wins or losses (Forscutt wants two Chelsea wins and he's nearly home and dried I'd say. Though a hatrick from Malbranque or Boa Morte would make things interesting. As I say, I think Andy will catch up some more but the big prize is probably tantalisingly out of reach.

For what it's worth, if I'd been him I wouldn't have used my last transfers on Arsenal defenders - I'd have saved them up to transfer Fulham midfielders into cup finalists after next weekend - but of course I could be proved very wrong as Arsenal are going to go up in market value a lot this week.
Great entertainment for the audience anyway. If only there were decent second or third prizes - it's very tough winner take all. :cry:

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

Unfortunately , as i only realised recently , the transfer window shuts for good this Sunday coming

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Ah I see (I had a brain freeze and mixed up the dates - thought we were still in April now so cup final was on 7th :roll: ) - so if you don't do them today, your last transfers would have to be done during this week at a cost. I suppose it might have be worth transferring the Fulhams out after their midweek game against Sunderland, but that is less attractive. In other words your Arsenal defence decision looks a much better one than I thought, and the cup final market won't be as big as you want.
Anyhow - good luck - you are probably about a 20-1 shot, but they have been known to come in. :)

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

After Forscutt put all the Liverpool defenders in my only option was to transfer a couple out and hope that they get rested/concede this weekend and concede a goal (to Harewood) in the Cup Final.As a big Liverpool fan I am not looking forward to willing Harewood to score a consolation goal after a Peter Crouch hat-trick :)

wabu
Treebeard

Post by wabu »

Interesting analysis Doogal.

I think Luis Boa Morte will decide who wins. He is capable of monster scores, and thats whats needed for Turrell to catch up. If he fails to deliver then its goodnight Irene.

Also, Gilberto needs to perform to the max, and I'm not sure if he'll be rested. It could go right down to the wire, thrilling finish! Also, I agree, runners up prizes would be fairer.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

When do the Guardian finish the Fantasy Fiver offerings? I didn't play last year so was wondering if they did it right up to the wire. Presumably this could have a massive effect on the final standings if things are tight.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Doogal »

I think the last fivers will be this weekend (none for the cup final). Last year we got hit by ALL THREE negative fivers two weeks before the end of the season which was pretty sickening, but in the end it didn't make a difference to the result. We did suggest that they stopped the fivers earlier this year to avoid influencing the result, but I don't think they have changed the system. As you say it could result in a big turnround (though unlikely this year as i reckon Forscutt's home and dry now after his result with Henry.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman (Game ceased)”