To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Help required copying league table

A forum to discuss or share knowledge of spreadsheets.
Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Help required copying league table

Post by Jester »

Last season I was able to copy/paste the league table from the TFF website straight into Excel (using cntl+C and cntl+V)
This season however, when I paste into Excel all the data ends up in just the first column of the worksheet - I've tried pasting as HTML and as text (the only options I get)

Can anyone show me how to copy from the TFF site to Excel so that I can use a VLOOKUP to extract the data and update scores please?

Hope I've described what I need well enough, if not let me know?

Cheers! :D

This is the page with the data I need (just need the actual scores part - so 41 lines):
https://fantasyfootball.telegraph.co.uk ... 881/ladder

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Help required copying league table

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Try selecting the entire spreadsheet by clicking the margin to the left of the 'A' column and above the '1' row and then do your paste. Hopefully that will paste it into the entire selected area rather than just 1 column.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Same result..... Although I do get a message saying the copied selection is a different size from the destination.
Pastes all in column A though :-(

SamD
FISO Knight

Copying TFF league table

Post by SamD »

Similar query raised in Sept was partially resolved. See discussion from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132466&start=228

Thanks go to laticsforlife. Am happy to set up and forward initial league sheet, if wished.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

This is a real pain.
TFF have formatted the league table with paragraph deliminaters rather than tabs so it's treating every cell as a separate row.
The way I've got around it is to paste it all into a word document first.
Then select all of the data again and go to Table :arrow: Convert :arrow: Text to Table
Set the number of columns to 7 and make sure that the Separate text at Paragraphs radio button is selected.
That should create a table in your Word document which you can then copy and paste into Excel.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I don't have access to the league tables but it should be possible to use the Get and Transform tool in Excel. (was new in 2013 i think). Similar to the old web query but far more powerful and you can transform(edit) the query to add in delimiters between the columns. I admit I struggle with this part as it not Excel or VBA language.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:08 This is a real pain.
TFF have formatted the league table with paragraph deliminaters rather than tabs so it's treating every cell as a separate row.
Then select all of the data again and go to Table :arrow: Convert :arrow: Text to Table
Set the number of columns to 7 and make sure that the Separate text at Paragraphs radio button is selected.
That should create a table in your Word document which you can then copy and paste into Excel.
This works, nice one.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:08 This is a real pain.

Thanks all for trying to help but this is the one that does it for me - my level of expertise! :D

Thanks TT!!!!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Spreadsheets”