To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Returning winner of two values (teams) in range of cells

A forum to discuss or share knowledge of spreadsheets.
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Returning winner of two values (teams) in range of cells

Post by Tacalabala »

I've got a bit stuck trying to put together the spreadsheet for whoever takes on the FPL Rugby competition next.

I want the teams for the semi finals and finals to populate automatically as the results are confirmed. To help do this, I've created GW rankings (AE) that give each team a ranking. What I need is M7 to return to winner (in ranking) between France and Argentina (it should be France as they have the higher ranking). It's stumped me and I can't even think of a way of expressing it in a way that I'll be able to find the solution on Google :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Returning winner of two values (teams) in range of cells

Post by murf »

Can't you just use nested IFs?

=IF(G7>G10,E7,(IF(G10>G7,E10,"draw")))

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

murf wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 23:42 Can't you just use nested IFs?

=IF(G7>G10,E7,(IF(G10>G7,E10,"draw")))
That's not very automated though, using the tables allows for the breakers to be processed, which is going to happen a fair bit possibly.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I'm afraid I'm using a very old version of office so I can't view your file to see exactly what you're trying to do.

Would something like this help though?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

If I'm understanding what you're trying to do correctly, how about just using a VLOOKUP of the teams/rankings, combined with an IF statement to return the lowest value of the two?

=IF(VLOOKUP(F8,$AE$4:$AF$7,2,FALSE)<VLOOKUP(F11,$AE$4:$AF$7,2,FALSE),F8,F11)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 15:49 I'm afraid I'm using a very old version of office so I can't view your file to see exactly what you're trying to do.

Would something like this help though?
mike_d99 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 16:01 If I'm understanding what you're trying to do correctly, how about just using a VLOOKUP of the teams/rankings, combined with an IF statement to return the lowest value of the two?

=IF(VLOOKUP(F8,$AE$4:$AF$7,2,FALSE)<VLOOKUP(F11,$AE$4:$AF$7,2,FALSE),F8,F11)
Thanks both :D mike's was the solution to my issue, but your solution TT is actually fantastic for leagues going to a playoff so I'll keep hold of that :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Spreadsheets”