To see less ads Register or Login

GW4 FPL Wild Card

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

With FPL GW 3 looming large and the wheels starting to fall off my GW1 BB squad it looks a great time to start plotting a WC
The squad was set up just to service that BB and the transition out to get the squad balance back is in the too hard basket so WC is booked in.

With two playing goalkeepers costing a combined 10.0 the choice to downgrade to a single playing keeper( 5.0 and 4.0) or rotating 4.5's to save 0.5 will be critical.
I favour the single keeper option to avoid the benching dilemma and hope for no injuries or red cards. I was going with Kasper at the season start but ended up with Martinez and Sanchez. I still do not know how I got there but that is another story.
I am not keen on sticking with Martinez as Villa look very poor atm Sanchez is very well owned so the jury is out on keeping him, so Schmeichel and a bench back up. I am not planning a Leicester defender just yet so he is a good way to cover that side of things as well.
Looking to see how GW3 pans out but having trashed my GW2 goalkeepers TAA and Livramento ( bench) will probably be the only survivors from the back line.
Shaw and Coufal could make a place for themselves but a Spurs/Chelsea defender at the same price point ( 0.5 saved from the keeper spot to be spent here) will probably take at least one of those places.

More rambling to follow :roll:

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

You're at 16k OR ... not sure your wheels are detached just yet.

Just sayin :)

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 09:18 You're at 16k OR ... not sure your wheels are detached just yet.

Just sayin :)
Good to see your consistent, having given me the same advice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I'm still tempted though.

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 09:18 You're at 16k OR ... not sure your wheels are detached just yet.

Just sayin :)
The times are a changing and I can see blood on the tracks.

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

I am in a very similar position. But my difficulty is that while I don't have any MC, CHE, TOT and see logic to bring some in, I like almost all my current lot. Ok, Buendia has 1 more week given fixtures, but other than that I can't yet see a pressing need.

Unless IB quarantine becomes a thing again maybe.

I'd prefer to wait till GW7 or 8 when things are more settled and fixture swings seem more obvious.

But if you know your desired structure and need it now, why not?

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

You already have the GK rotating combo, two of the optimal forwards and a nice selection of mids along with captainable players for the next few weeks.
a tweak in the defenders and a HO to one of the premium and you are set, so a WC could be avoided in your case.
My trouble is I want it all, and I want it now.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

Oxford NZ wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 10:00 My trouble is I want it all, and I want it now.
Were we separated at birth?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
Posts: 6360
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 21:24
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by hancockjr »

If you downgrade Martinez to a 4.0 who else do you really want rid of / want to have instead? Would be surprised if WC was the best option for you right now.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

If BJ stands by the isolation stuff for those players 4 and 5 could be crazy with lots of hits being taken, which I don't want to get involved in....

The only reason to delay is the AFCON, whenever that is.

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

hancockjr wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 10:17 If you downgrade Martinez to a 4.0 who else do you really want rid of / want to have instead? Would be surprised if WC was the best option for you right now.
Do you have a rough template of the "it" you want all of?

And apologies for ending a sentence with a preposition. Very poor.

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

Working on that template instead of sleeping and should be able to post a rough draft in the morning. If I can sleep with Bod Dylan, Gary Wright and Queen lyrics weaving their way through my dreams.
Never apologise for English grammar to me, I am a heathen :mrgreen: .

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

blahblah wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 10:07
Oxford NZ wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 10:00 My trouble is I want it all, and I want it now.
Were we separated at birth?
8-) This could answer a lot :?

User avatar
Bรธlla pinnsvin
Treebeard
Posts: 176
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 09:50

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Bรธlla pinnsvin »

Oxford NZ wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 09:12 With FPL GW 3 looming large and the wheels starting to fall off my GW1 BB squad it looks a great time to start plotting a WC
The squad was set up just to service that BB and the transition out to get the squad balance back is in the too hard basket so WC is booked in.
First, congratulations with a great start to FPL this season!

Second, your WC is perhaps the most important tool you have in this game. My advise would be to preserve it for a GW with more impact.

I like your team and I think it will survive more GWs with both pride and points. Some tweaks would improve the lot, but FTs and maybe a -4 should take care of that. As you say, sell Martinez and free funds. You have sufficient defenders so immediate need for change. But Tsimikas will have to be replaced at some point in time. Rice is a weak link and you could take money from Martinez and upgrade his position. Soon you want to do Ings->DCL/Bamford. Toney could also be monitored and shifted for someone else.

But overall I'd say "good to go".

User avatar
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
Posts: 13187
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: In Norn Iron
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Beerfuelledman »

With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

Oxford NZ wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 10:34 Working on that template instead of sleeping and should be able to post a rough draft in the morning. If I can sleep with Bod Dylan, Gary Wright and Queen lyrics weaving their way through my dreams.
Never apologise for English grammar to me, I am a heathen :mrgreen: .
American tourist in Oxford, approaches a porter at one of the college gates.

"Hey man, can you tell me where the Bodleian Library is at?"

Porter: "I'm sorry sir, but in England we do not end sentences with prepositions."

American tourist: "Oh, I am sorry. Can you tell me where the Bodleian Library is at, a55hole?"

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
I will leave it to blah to make the joke here ... but WHU are worth keeping until we have some evidence of their demise, right? Or at least before a bad fixture run. It can't last forever, but while Antonio remains fit he makes his teammates excellent sidekicks!

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 13:52
Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
I will leave it to blah to make the joke here ... but WHU are worth keeping until we have some evidence of their demise, right? Or at least before a bad fixture run. It can't last forever, but while Antonio remains fit he makes his teammates excellent sidekicks!
I thought I'd leave such an easy hit to someone else ๐Ÿ˜Ž (But I did hear about a Prem Club looking at Botman - and thought about him coming up against Wood.)

re WHam: it depends on what happens 1st: Antonio breaking or Europe starting?

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
Posts: 5057
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 20:47
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by wizardoffire »

does CR7 become must have...

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

wizardoffire wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 14:48 does CR7 become must have...
Lulu as a placeholder ๐Ÿ˜‰

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

Rambling WC nonsense.
My first stab at the WC was an abject failure being 1m over budget :? The compromise did not look as good as what I have now, and would only cost me a -12 to get there.
I can live with a non playing forward at F3 so that position will go to Street.
Wish list Dias, Son, Rudiger, Grealish, Lukaku, DCL
442

4.5 ( 4.0)
TAA, Dias, 5.5, Dier( Livramento)
12.5, Son, 8.0, 5.0 ( Bissouma)
12.0, 8.0 ( Street)
I have some SV accrued so my budget is a bit over 100.0
The wish list will only get longer and the budget tighter, so I may be talking myself out of a WC if I can't get no satisfaction.

User avatar
wahine
Grumpy Cat
Posts: 2040
Joined: 01 Jul 2009, 07:58
FS Record: โ™€๏ธ Happiness is the new rich.
Inner peace the new success.
Health the new wealth.
Kindness the new cool.
-Syed Balkhi

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by wahine »

Your team is really okay for this weekend (says the impulsive one :) ) ?
or 2 free or a -4 in GW4 :?: and no WC at all.

if you did 3 in GW4
Bruno Ings, Martinez out Lukaku in...
WC is usually best in the IB when you can make some money though :D
Last edited by wahine on 27 Aug 2021, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
wahine
Grumpy Cat
Posts: 2040
Joined: 01 Jul 2009, 07:58
FS Record: โ™€๏ธ Happiness is the new rich.
Inner peace the new success.
Health the new wealth.
Kindness the new cool.
-Syed Balkhi

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by wahine »

If your getting so bored in lockdown - like me - then go and enter some Telegraph FF teams to tinker with

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Dumbledore
Posts: 8908
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Kรถln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Smurphy's Paw »

wahine wrote: โ†‘27 Aug 2021, 01:32 WC is usually best in the IB when you can make some money though :D
Thatโ€™s always the theory. Wild card transfers get discounted and others wait for the end of the International games to make moves just in case of injury so I never make as much as I hope to

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Dumbledore
Posts: 8908
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Kรถln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Smurphy's Paw »

ONZ - honestly, if you havenโ€™t pulled the trigger yet Iโ€™d keep hold of the wildcard for now

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: โ†‘27 Aug 2021, 09:06 ONZ - honestly, if you havenโ€™t pulled the trigger yet Iโ€™d keep hold of the wildcard for now
It's for next GW, not this one....

User avatar
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
Posts: 13187
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: In Norn Iron
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Beerfuelledman »

blahblah wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 14:44
raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 13:52
Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
I will leave it to blah to make the joke here ... but WHU are worth keeping until we have some evidence of their demise, right? Or at least before a bad fixture run. It can't last forever, but while Antonio remains fit he makes his teammates excellent sidekicks!
I thought I'd leave such an easy hit to someone else ๐Ÿ˜Ž (But I did hear about a Prem Club looking at Botman - and thought about him coming up against Wood.)

re WHam: it depends on what happens 1st: Antonio breaking or Europe starting?
I wasn't having a pop at WHU layers. Antonio and Coufal are in my side. I mentioned Benrahma specifically because he is vastly overperforming his stats - compared to Bowen for example, who is surely set to stop underperforming on his. You could read more about that here.

https://twitter.com/soph_fpl/status/1430117981699387438

But sure go ahead, have your "easy hit". This toxicity is why I dont post here so much anymore.

User avatar
jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4150
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; missing/rubbish since...

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by jacksosi »

Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘27 Aug 2021, 09:36
blahblah wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 14:44
raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 13:52
Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
I will leave it to blah to make the joke here ... but WHU are worth keeping until we have some evidence of their demise, right? Or at least before a bad fixture run. It can't last forever, but while Antonio remains fit he makes his teammates excellent sidekicks!
I thought I'd leave such an easy hit to someone else ๐Ÿ˜Ž (But I did hear about a Prem Club looking at Botman - and thought about him coming up against Wood.)

re WHam: it depends on what happens 1st: Antonio breaking or Europe starting?
I wasn't having a pop at WHU layers. Antonio and Coufal are in my side. I mentioned Benrahma specifically because he is vastly overperforming his stats - compared to Bowen for example, who is surely set to stop underperforming on his. You could read more about that here.

https://twitter.com/soph_fpl/status/1430117981699387438

But sure go ahead, have your "easy hit". This toxicity is why I dont post here so much anymore.
Easy BFM, I think the 'easy hit' was making a joke based on "can Benrahma keep it up ?"...so just lame not toxic :lol:

User avatar
Oxford NZ
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4492
Joined: 06 Jan 2017, 03:35
FS Record: Gold medal for turning up

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by Oxford NZ »

Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
Thanks Bfm :)
Sanchez Steele combo is where I am at if I push the button for next week :)
The Salah, Lukaku, Bruno and Kane dilemma is now made more interesting with the addition of Ronaldo. Looks like the United transfer is a done deal and imo makes Bruno ( and Greenwood) less attractive. I am going to run with only one United asset even though their fixtures are good ( on paper anyway) and Shaw looks favourite at 5.5 in defence.
Benrahma should score enough points to justify his place and the fixture do not look too bad for him. Personally I am looking for a differential at that price point and Coufal is probably enough West Ham for me. Playing 442 also does not leave a space for Antonio with Kane / Lukaku / Vardy and DCL all in the running for 2 places.

Hows your Eliteserien squad these days? I did spot you doing well early season in one of the leagues :)

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3731
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants. Other than being TIED FIRST OR in FPL after day 1 of GW5 of 2021/2022 :)

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by raoul »

jacksosi wrote: โ†‘27 Aug 2021, 09:56
Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘27 Aug 2021, 09:36
blahblah wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 14:44
raoul wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 13:52
Beerfuelledman wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2021, 12:00 With Bench boost out of the way Sanchez/Steele might be a good combo. (I'm biased as thats who I have). I guess then its deciding on which premiums youre going to have. Im currently thinking a big MID & big FOR Salah/Lukaku or Bruno/Kane for example in the hope they can be easily swapped but havent got that far in the planning. Then you're into the flash in the pan players - can Benrahma keep it up for example?
I will leave it to blah to make the joke here ... but WHU are worth keeping until we have some evidence of their demise, right? Or at least before a bad fixture run. It can't last forever, but while Antonio remains fit he makes his teammates excellent sidekicks!
I thought I'd leave such an easy hit to someone else ๐Ÿ˜Ž (But I did hear about a Prem Club looking at Botman - and thought about him coming up against Wood.)

re WHam: it depends on what happens 1st: Antonio breaking or Europe starting?
I wasn't having a pop at WHU layers. Antonio and Coufal are in my side. I mentioned Benrahma specifically because he is vastly overperforming his stats - compared to Bowen for example, who is surely set to stop underperforming on his. You could read more about that here.

https://twitter.com/soph_fpl/status/1430117981699387438

But sure go ahead, have your "easy hit". This toxicity is why I dont post here so much anymore.
Easy BFM, I think the 'easy hit' was making a joke based on "can Benrahma keep it up ?"...so just lame not toxic :lol:
Yep, was being lame. Didn't even get Kenneth Williams to appear so I really did fail badly.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89262
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GW4 FPL Wild Card

Post by blahblah »

raoul wrote: โ†‘28 Aug 2021, 10:13 Yep, was being lame. Didn't even get Kenneth Williams to appear so I really did fail badly.
Indeedy :|

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to โ€œFantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)โ€