To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

7-8 mil forwards: are they good value?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: 7-8 mil forwards: are they good value?

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:03 On a side note, what are S'oton upto?! Their squad looks weaker than Newcastle right now.
They're playing a home friendly against Levante tonight, should be a lovely atmosphere at St. Mary's. :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Gambit wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:16
SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:11 Maybe they are the ones who end up with Tammy? Nice striker merry-go-round in sight Image
More signings to come thats for sure, templates being ripped up everywhere! :D
I thought that re Tammy, or he goes to Spurs/Inter as part of the Kane/Lulu deal?

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:03 On a side note, what are S'oton upto?! Their squad looks weaker than Newcastle right now.
They're playing a home friendly against Levante tonight, should be a lovely atmosphere at St. Mary's. Image
Jesus and Joseph are gonna be there Image
blahblah wrote:
Gambit wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:16
SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:11 Maybe they are the ones who end up with Tammy? Nice striker merry-go-round in sight Image
More signings to come thats for sure, templates being ripped up everywhere! :D
I thought that re Tammy, or he goes to Spurs/Inter as part of the Kane/Lulu deal?
Let's pick our guy and find out one month later who he plays for Image

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:17 They're playing a home friendly against Levante tonight, should be a lovely atmosphere at St. Mary's. :lol:
You can watch it for free on YouTube actually, if you're curious to see what a stadium full of people who have lost the will to live looks like.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

To be fair, Ings said that he was off at the end of last season ie not extending expiring deal.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

blahblah wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:26 To be fair, Ings said that he was off at the end of last season ie not extending expiring deal.
I'm sure that'll cheer them right up.

Roberto Soldado is in the Levante team, maybe they could make a bid for him? :lol:

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Striker options seem quite thin now with all the uncertainty in the market

Kris_fiso
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Kris_fiso »

Pukki could be good value

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

The 8m bracket (DCL, Bamford, Ings, and the other one) just gained some appeal over the 7.5m group.

That’s 0.5m I think I’ll want up my sleeve

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

SirMattBugsby wrote:Maybe they are the ones who end up with Tammy? Nice striker merry-go-round in sight Image
Abraham most likely off to Atalanta. That’s the merry-go-round: Lukaku to Chelsea, Abraham to Atalanta and Zapata to Inter.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Joccki_10 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 06:31
SirMattBugsby wrote:Maybe they are the ones who end up with Tammy? Nice striker merry-go-round in sight Image
Abraham most likely off to Atalanta. That’s the merry-go-round: Lukaku to Chelsea, Abraham to Atalanta and Zapata to Inter.
And Kane to Coventry 🤣

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 19:03
Gambit wrote:Ings confirmed at Villa!

Is that Watkins dead as an option now or will they play two up front?

Can't see Ings sitting on the bench and he's not the type of player to move wide or drop deep etc.

Must have passed the medical so if he's fit and ready to go he could be the man, 8m, nailed, on pens (surely), proven record..........
Wow, didn't expect that! Staying off both now, need to see how Smith manages them. Maybe I need to stick with my Wilson hunch..

On a side note, what are S'oton upto?! Their squad looks weaker than Newcastle right now.
For Villa, probably means Ings goes up front and Watkins wide left, with Buendia in the No 10 role (and Grealish of course out of the picture). Which reduces (a little) Watkins appeal, although all three of those could be good value this season.

The potential uncertainty of that line up and whether new boy Ings will be ready to go in GW1, plus the fact that Villa’s fixtures turn toxic in GW4, mean Watkins and Ings may be a “wait and see” rather than GW1 picks (although if Ings plays a preseason game and does well, that could change that view).

So my current draft now has Antonio in, instead of Watkins, but Buendia is still there - he’s a great pick now that Grealish seems certain to leave.

HungryHungrySuarez
Red & Blue Braces

Post by HungryHungrySuarez »

I notice little love for DCL here, but surely with their early fixtures and the doubts around others in the price bracket (Watkins/Ings uncertainty, Antonio's fragility, Iheanacho/Daka dynamic) he's one of the safer bets to start the season? Is it just his perceived limitations in terms of points ceiling that are putting people off, or perhaps the Rafa effect on goal output, especially early doors? At least he's focal in the attack, he's certain to start and his fixtures are great.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Rafa and he may not be available in GW1. There is plenty of competition at/below his price point, without knowing how Everton are going to play ....

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Yeah DCL interests me. Only a few of the mid / cheap strikers are going to be reliable, and the 8.0 slot gives flexibility.

I agree that the change of manager raises some questions. It's not that DCL can't thrive under Rafa, but I suspect he's going to have to do a lot more all round centre forward play, whereas under Ancelotti it was all about being in the box.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

All good points regarding DCL. I was wondering today why I'm putting guys like Toney and Wilson ahead of him.. and it's mainly down to having Digne already and not wanting to over-commit to Everton early on. Maybe that's one of these psychological biases they talk about: I got a full set

Regarding EC's point, which of these 7-8 fwds is the best all-round player? I'd say Jimenez and Ings tbh, maybe Martial? DCL and Bamford are good but not the best technicians maybe. Followed by Wilson, Antonio, Wood, Nacho and Watkins, although the latter two might prove themselves to be more complete players this season.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Why consider best all round player when FPL only has Goals and Assists?

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:Why consider best all round player when FPL only has Goals and Assists?
Maybe for ceiling? Which player can brace, is more immune to manager/team change etc. Plus we have to watch the bstrds Image

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 23:41
blahblah wrote:Why consider best all round player when FPL only has Goals and Assists?
Maybe for ceiling? Which player can brace, is more immune to manager/team change etc. Plus we have to watch the bstrds Image
Yeah, but Wood does well, while being a pants watch?

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 23:41
Yeah, but Wood does well, while being a pants watch?
He does, and usually gets around 130-140 points. Can he get 160+ points? I feel being an actually good player in a good attacking team has a say in that.

It's just a factor, and one which my primitive brain finds much easier to understand than stats and fixtures and talisman theories. Good player, good team + pens= ImageImage

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

eastcentral1 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 23:05 Yeah DCL interests me.
Me too, but perhaps from GW4 after we've had a little time to observe him in a Benítez team. Ings for wat NEW BRE before a switch to Calvert-Lewin for BUR avl NOR and a wildcard around GW7 or 8 looks good to me.

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

I really quite like the 7-8m bracket with at least 6 viable options this year. I presume a lot of Kane teams will go cheaper but most teams will have one of them throughout. Think I will start with three.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 23:55
eastcentral1 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 23:05 Yeah DCL interests me.
Me too, but perhaps from GW4 after we've had a little time to observe him in a Benítez team. Ings for wat NEW BRE before a switch to Calvert-Lewin for BUR avl NOR and a wildcard around GW7 or 8 looks good to me.
Interesting - I’m currently (just, it’s a close call) leaning the other way, but for the exact same reason… IMO new boy Ings is a bigger uncertainty than DCL under Rafa, especially as Ings may not be (match fitness/tactically) ready for GW1. Given Villa’s fixtures are toxic from GW4, Ings missing GW1 would make him a bad pick. Meanwhile DCL’s fixtures for first 6 or so weeks are great, so he’s a perfectly decent pick for GW1, and that also avoids baking in a transfer for GW4.

I was on DCL/Watkins/Toney until the Ings signing, now DCL/Antonio/Toney.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

…and I liked Adam Hopcroft’s take on it on a recent FFH video/podcast - along the lines of… there are ample choices in this bracket and you may as well just flip a coin! Just make sure you have two of them , so that when you come to do the Bruno :arrow: Kane switch after Kane goes to City, you can just drop the one that has performed the worst.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

My issue is that the perceived weak clubs usually play their best in August (unlike Kane 😉) so targeting them isn't as effective as later months up until the Relegation Battle goes hardcore and they improve again ....

I'm more inclined to go for new managers, 2 new CB's type of stuff like at Palace.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hogmeister wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 16:27 …and I liked Adam Hopcroft’s take on it on a recent FFH video/podcast - along the lines of… there are ample choices in this bracket and you may as well just flip a coin! Just make sure you have two of them , so that when you come to do the Bruno :arrow: Kane switch after Kane goes to City, you can just drop the one that has performed the worst.
I'm going for 3 at DIngs and less price and definitely wait and see about Kane, wherever he is.

Fuzz
FISOhead
FS Record: 579th in FPL 2014/15

Post by Fuzz »

I’ve currently got DCL, Ings and Iheanacho.

At various points I’ve had Bamford, Watkins, Antonio and Toney is my drafts.

As Hogmeister said, it really is flip a coin.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Why doesn't anybody have Wilson?! I don't want to be that differential

Do agree that the price point is more important than the specific choice right now.. but I'm not sure if having two 7.5 spots open will be worthwhile. That's been my apprehension from the start tbh.

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Wilson didn't feature in the last two friendlies for Newcastle due to a hamstring problem and hasn't returned to training yet. They play their last pre-season game tomorrow vs Norwich

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Blue Fire wrote:Wilson didn't feature in the last two friendlies for Newcastle due to a hamstring problem and hasn't returned to training yet. They play their last pre-season game tomorrow vs Norwich
Thanks for the info! Wilson's hammies.. and Ings' too.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”