To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

If you have both Salah & Mane

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Heads or Tails?

Super Salah TC
69%
Magic Mane TC
8%
Super Salah
15%
Magic Mane
8%

Total votes: 39

xJosh-
FISOhead

If you have both Salah & Mane

Post by xJosh- »

Those of you who have both Salah and Mane who are you captaining?

Mane with the superior away record or Salah on pens in slightly better form with the added creativity.

I feel the other captaincy poll skews this opinion a little bit as a lot of us only have Mane or Salah with 2 defenders. I want to try determine which side the coin landed on if you have both.

megadyl
FISOhead

Re: If you have both Salah & Mane

Post by megadyl »

I only have Mane and am doing TC on Robbo but if I had Salah I wouldn’t hesitate to give him the armband. Watching Liverpool over the last few years Mane and Salah both seem to go on hot streaks where they have 7 or 8 games where the can’t stop scoring. Salah seems to be starting one of those for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Absolutely not a clue yet, haven't decided if I'm using the TC yet either so I'm very interested in the outcome of this as well

sstaffsw
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sstaffsw »

Good poll. Will make a last minute decision based on the result.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Some stats might help. According to livefpl.net, Salah is owned by ~30% of the Top 10k and Mané by ~77%, with about 12% owning both. Crunch the numbers based on captaincy polls and how many are TC'ing and Salah's EO will roughly be at ~60% while Mané's will be ~125%.

Now the issue with this is that people are still bringing these players in so the ownership stats will only keep increasing nearer to the deadline. Also, I've applied the rate of captaincy from a sample of managers from the FFS captaincy poll where Salah is likely more owned than in the Top 10k, so Mané's EO will almost certainly be higher than 125% and more to the tune of 135-160% imo, which makes Salah a far better TC for chasing than I had ever imagined, likely to have barely 50% EO despite leading the captaincy polls everywhere.

So it's likely Salah TC for me after all. Feel free to post your own calculations if mine are way off, I'd like an excuse to switch back to Mané again :lol:

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man

I guess I need to decide if I am chasing or leading. I'm top of every mini league that matters and can't see that changing with the gaps I have in them so not worried about them.

OR is 31k, am I chasing the top 10k or am I defending the top 100k...

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Resonare wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 14:53 Some stats might help. According to livefpl.net, Salah is owned by ~30% of the Top 10k and Mané by ~77%, with about 12% owning both. Crunch the numbers based on captaincy polls and how many are TC'ing and Salah's EO will roughly be at ~60% while Mané's will be ~125%.

Now the issue with this is that people are still bringing these players in so the ownership stats will only keep increasing nearer to the deadline. Also, I've applied the rate of captaincy from a sample of managers from the FFS captaincy poll where Salah is likely more owned than in the Top 10k, so Mané's EO will almost certainly be higher than 125% and more to the tune of 135-160% imo, which makes Salah a far better TC for chasing than I had ever imagined, likely to have barely 50% EO despite leading the captaincy polls everywhere.

So it's likely Salah TC for me after all. Feel free to post your own calculations if mine are way off, I'd like an excuse to switch back to Mané again :lol:
I did understand this post but whats EO? haha I've swapped it to and from myself. I'm 40 points ahead in my main cash mini league, 2nd, 3rd, 4th all own Mane and not Salah. I own both but I wildcarded so I am unable to TC. Concerned that they'll TC Mane or even just captain Mane and if I captain Salah I'm not blocking them but cant help but feel Salah will score more even with his poor away record comparted to Mane & Firmino so I want to go with him regardless.
DavidLloydIsAHero wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 15:44 I guess I need to decide if I am chasing or leading. I'm top of every mini league that matters and can't see that changing with the gaps I have in them so not worried about them.

Always chase the highest position IMO. Don't often win by playing safe when competing for the top.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

DavidLloydIsAHero wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 15:44 I guess I need to decide if I am chasing or leading. I'm top of every mini league that matters and can't see that changing with the gaps I have in them so not worried about them.

Imo, you're chasing Top 10k but you don't need high amounts of variance to achieve it. If the TC was taken out the game tonight you'd benefit from it because you can get Top 10k from where you are with solid picks paying off, while guys way behind you would have one less high variance method of catching you.
xJosh- wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 15:44 I did understand this post but whats EO? haha I've swapped it to and from myself. I'm 40 points ahead in my main cash mini league, 2nd, 3rd, 4th all own Mane and not Salah. I own both but I wildcarded so I am unable to TC. Concerned that they'll TC Mane or even just captain Mane and if I captain Salah I'm not blocking them but cant help but feel Salah will score more even with his poor away record comparted to Mane & Firmino so I want to go with him regardless.
EO means "effective ownership" which just relates to how much that player is owned in a sample in a given GW. If you own and start a player then his EO in your team is 100%, 200% if you captain him and 0% if you bench or don't own him. You generally want players with less EO than in your team to do well and vice-versa, so those of us captaining Salah actually want Mané to blank even is we own him, while those captaining Mané want Salah to do well if they own him as well.

Cash leagues are far more complicated and I don't know what the right model for that is because points become like equity :?

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man

Cheers both, I think you are right and I guarantee I would be in chase mode if I hadn't just had such a bad GW but an 11k drop last week has made me look over my shoulder. I've made up ground by just being template up to now and will now start to push a little bit more but won't take too many risks just yet.

xJosh - LiveFPL is really good for tracking EO of your players and telling you which players are a threat to you each week. For example Aguero's ownership in the top10k last week was about 13% but loads of those captained him meaning his EO was about 20%. I didn't have him (hence my awful GW) so his 13 points was 2.6 points against me. (figures are rough from memory).

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

66 points from banding Kun the last 2 GW's ...

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I'm circa 30k. That should probably point to me captaining Mane on the basis of the discussion above. However, for me Salah is ahead on the eye test, and I can't captain Mane where I think he's not the best option.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

As I TC Salah I am therefore going to be hoping Mané blanks. The maths makes sense. The reality of not wishing well to over £12m of premium asset feels wrong

Yarmolarmolenko
Wideboy

Post by Yarmolarmolenko »

danger with both is rotation now that Liverpool have all but sealed the league, Klopp could start resting to keep them fresh for Europe.

Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Resonare »

Annoyingly, Salah's ownership skyrocketed from 30% to 46% in the Top 10k...

So Mane's EO came in at the lower end at 135% because of it. In hindsight, 50% EO for Salah was probably being way too optimistic but at least he's under 100%.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man

Went for Mane, more for peace of mind than anything else. At least this way I can celebrate all points from my pool assets than worrying about Mane getting anything

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

I have Salah TC, honestly I think it’s a cigarette paper between them.

Wondering to choose Salah or Mane is like choosing who will arrive first between two gnats riding on the back of a giant dog called Lucky.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”