To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Does anyone here actually listen or change their mind?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Does anyone here actually listen or change their mind?

Post by Archy »

A thing that’s commonly struck me about this site is almost everyone seems pretty intransigent in their views: instances of people admitting they were wrong, or changing their mind, seem few and far between (in fact I struggle to think of any examples of seeing this, certainly not without the benefit of hindsight).

I don’t wish to name names, but it recently struck me after seeing something not uncommonly seen on the site: one poster with (I have to say) a pretty poor history on FPL wrote about their proposed strategy. They were advised by someone - someone with a vastly superior FPL record - it wasn’t a good idea. In the end, the original poster went and did what they originally suggested anyway.

It made me wonder:

- Does anyone actually change their mind after reading other opinions on here?
- Do people ever consider that another persons record is better or worse than their own and assess what they say accordingly?
- At the end of the day, are we ALL here (regardless of record) to seek affirmation of an opinion we already hold?

Interested in any thoughts!
Last edited by Archy on 20 Jan 2020, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Overson
Treebeard

Re: Does anyone here actually listen or change their mind?

Post by Agent Overson »

Folk like the sound of their own voice/attention seekers and mask it with RMTs etc. Welcome to the social media age.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

It's not just this site, it's the whole internet.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

I think i know u you are referring to, and actually thought the same thing (why did he bother posting if he was going to do his own thing)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If you don't do your own thing then why play?

Moulding your own thing based on other people's opinions is fine but if you don't like an idea then you won't like your team and will soon rip it up.

Doing your own thing is better for your soul than just following the blinkered consensus.

But, blinkered ploughing of your own furrow is equally dumb.

Absorb it all then make your call.

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

To answer the original question or intent of the first post here above...

When reading advice here, on FISO, I do quite often ask others to validate my ideas or suggest differently. I see the purpose of my RMT as a sounding board... even if I get a lot of attention from the 'Dark side', ie blah or attract the attention of the agent of chaos, ie Stivieste. Personally, I do heed to advice and have no shame in taking it.

But when I read posts where people express their opinion, I tend to look at the following criteria to decide upon the validity of the advice...

1. Human traits - do I 'know' this person? ie, any previous private conversations? Do I have any formed opinions about this poster, ie my view of his regular posting tone.
2. FISO stats - amount of contribution and quality of posts; lots of BS - be it tripe or pompousity, is it or quality stuff? So usually I skip over advice from 'Cheetah' level members. On the other hand I eagerly read Sutter Kane's posts as I feel his reasoning and delivery is optimal, even if I disagree on the analysis.
3. Form - when FPL managers are in top form, it's worth giving their posts more attention during their good run, eg thebillfella so far this season, Spiderm4tt on his winning season, F4c last GW22...
4. Special things / punts... blah's successful 3 Lpl defenders strategy, a certain poster who stubbornly advocated a 532 formation for ages even when it got him nowhere, certain rivalries which promote misinformation & fake news...

That is how I listen here... mostly.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

Learning is hard, everyone falls off their bike.

I actually remember earlier this season (last year) one poster (I think Sutter Kane?), commented on what I was doing (5 premium defenders or something like that) and I tried to explain why I was doing it, to which he was like... “yeah well whatever”.

Then a day later(?) I remembered that a week or so earlier I had read he was actually ranked world #1 in a GOAT hall of fame. Meanwhile I was pissing about at OR 1.6m.

Quietly binned the £30m defence a couple of weeks later.

EDIT: Just brutal cross posting there Ironfist. :cry: :lol:

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

It’s alright, you’re not the first to advocate 5-3-2, Stu.

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

No sure what i find more offensive, the dark side or being linked with blah, both equally hurtful 🤣

To be fair im a novice at this game and most of the managers on here, have more experience, more information they use (all this xG) stuff and more common sense with simple decisions rather than over think it.

I just play on gut feelings ( i.e earlier in the season i inboxed Tall Paul asking him if he thought Wood could go on a run soon as i felt he could, i brought him in and ditched him after one game for Pukki and Wood then did go on a run and pukki stalled.

I asked about Rashford for wilson earlier tonight and the feedback i got was not to do it and even though i know your all right, i should go for Ings or DCL or Haller, i like to kind of try prove the more experienced managers wrong. (for own personal glory or pride maybe) ive still took a -4 and brought Wilson in and will look forward to all the stick i get tomorrow when you all say i told you so haha.

I play in a few cash leagues and i know if i followed some of the better managers in here teams id win my cash leagues easily, but it takes the fun out of it a little doing that.

So like Blah i try to do my own quirky little things where i went 3 Sheff UtD at the back for example and at times its paid off.

There is some great managers here with some great knowledge on how to play the game, so i guess i try to learn a little while i gone along while also doing my own thing.

I also use this site to have a laugh and some banter, so i also apologise if i offend some people with my ways and jinx jokes etc, as that is not my intentions at all.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

The forum is full of comments about points on the bench wasted chips and should have could have comments :?

Everyone should do their own thing and if they want to ask advise and dont follow it then why care :?:

We have a few members on here that have actually won the thing but they don't call themselves experts - and even the so called " elite players" have had weeks where they sold Jimenez for Ings. :oops:
The point is to all have a good time, win or lose and the best thing about Fiso is there are members on the STC thread that study statistics and know their football, likes of Mav3rick and |Stemania who always go out of their way to answer RMT questions and provide a considered knowledgeable answer.
The thing to enjoy are the many side games, cash leagues if you are into that, or just mini games everyone can have banter and a bit of cheeky comments, they are ideas provided and run for the enjoyment of all the members where anyone can have a good GW or two. :)

Salte2
Treebeard
FS Record: Not good

Post by Salte2 »

Tall Paul wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 22:00 It's not just this site, it's the whole internet.
Ha ha! Brilliant!

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ironfist wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 23:18 On the other hand I eagerly read Sutter Kane's posts as I feel his reasoning and delivery is optimal
Thanks for the name drop IF. This season has been a complete disaster however!

On the OP, FISO is mostly banter for me but I am swayed by particular things. Stemania plus tens of other respected posters give their opinions (and their time to construct various statistical abominations!) which can lead me into thinking it's likely my train of thought was flawed. In such cases it usually was and the majority opinion was correct on a certain topic. It's very different when one good manager has an opinion that's different to mine, to when ten do. Certainly more persuasive. Admittedly however, the game itself was more fun when fiso/scout/etc didn't really exist.

Another thing I'd mention is that every season is different and everyone's squad is in a different shape to others so one view can be unhelpful for one person but helpful to another. Choice of Liv assets GW24 is one such example. Got to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Edit: I don't think it was me Stu - I've been interested in the 5 at the back experiment as it allows 'unclouded' thought into attacking transfers. Might have been me though.

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Sutter Kane wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 07:59
Ironfist wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 23:18 On the other hand I eagerly read Sutter Kane's posts as I feel his reasoning and delivery is optimal
Thanks for the name drop IF. This season has been a complete disaster however!
For sake of transparency... the part you omitted :P
Ironfist wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 23:18 On the other hand I eagerly read Sutter Kane's posts as I feel his reasoning and delivery is optimal, even if I disagree on the analysis.
Hence, this season's results... for both of us, I guess :wink: :mrgreen:

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

I read a lot more on this site than I post. I basically use the forum to see trends and use that to inform my own decisions. There is a higher concentration of good managers on here than anywhere else I have found online since ATFPL went offline a couple of years ago and knowing what good managers are doing and have spotted really helps as i don't have the time to invest in much stats analysis. Other than that I come here to keep on top of news, play side games and general entertainment.

I only tend to offer advice to newer/less experienced players who I feel could benefit and might get skipped past by others and I only tend to ask for advice when I really feel torn between two options or I know my option is a little on the risky side.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I listen to and am often influenced by opinion on here but unfortunately it often goes awry. There are also times when I stick to my own instincts and knowledge of football but this also often goes awry. :?

JanosKojak
Wideboy
FS Record: Rank 918 (2012/13)

Post by JanosKojak »

Love this forum. I often take advice especially if someone has more insight into particular team or statistic. Would actually love to see how for example how this sites top captain picks (captain polls) have faired against other sites.

And sometimes I check how the managers have done in the past. Especially if they are suggesting something a bit more risky. Like I changed my triplecaptain this week from Salah to Firmino (this had nothing to do with Stevieste TC:ing Salah :wink: ).

e. Actually I just realized that Salah is the best differential pick against my money league leaders who don't own him. So I'm changing my mind. Sorry for the DGW captain nonsense.
Last edited by JanosKojak on 21 Jan 2020, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

I do. Did it just last week changing captain from Vardy to KDB. Its quite a good example though of me both being right in my original convictions and also right to change, which leaves me none the wiser over whether I should have done or not :lol:

At the end of the day, varience and luck form such a large part of the game that it often makes it difficult to analyse! (for me anyway)

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Post by Stevieste »

JanosKojak wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 12:11 Love this forum. I often take advice especially if someone has more insight into particular team or statistic. Would actually love to see how for example how this sites top captain picks (captain polls) have faired against other sites.

And sometimes I check how the managers have done in the past. Especially if they are suggesting something a bit more risky. Like I changed my triplecaptain this week from Salah to Firmino (this had nothing to do with Stevieste TC:ing Salah :wink: ).

e. Actually I just realized that Salah is the best differential pick against my money league leaders who don't own him. So I'm changing my mind. Sorry for the DGW captain nonsense.
Now your screwed 👀🤣

MOBIUS
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 2005-06 52nd. 2013-14 117th

Post by MOBIUS »

Of course, if someone offers up a statistic I haven't been bothered looking up, or a heads up for a player I didn't have on my radar.
I think the problem is not this forum but the internet and people in general. They have to be right, so if someone says anything contrary, it is seen as a personal attack. Personally, I don't care and believe that things are seldom black or white in the real world and certainly not in the chance driven game of FPL. Don't believe everything you think :idea:

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

correct am also guilty of this i remember some season when jones was very cheap and i asked should i bring him in for a hit everyone said yes and off course i didn't because i hate taken hits, and regretted it in the long run

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

fred1266 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 17:21 correct am also guilty of this i remember some season when jones was very cheap and i asked should i bring him in for a hit everyone said yes and off course i didn't because i hate taken hits, and regretted it in the long run
And that was the only time anyone ever regretted not bringing in Phil Jones. :lol:

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 17:23
fred1266 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 17:21 correct am also guilty of this i remember some season when jones was very cheap and i asked should i bring him in for a hit everyone said yes and off course i didn't because i hate taken hits, and regretted it in the long run
And that was the only time anyone ever regretted not bringing in Phil Jones. :lol:
Shocked
Phil Jones Shocked.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred1266
Dumbledore

Post by fred1266 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 17:23
lol

Yarmolarmolenko
Wideboy

Post by Yarmolarmolenko »

Can't go wrong backing your own instinct, if it fails it fails, but better failing following yourself than somebody else.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I think pretty much everyone who posts here regularly does so to bounce idea around and get a different perspective. Making the time to post a viewpoint in reply probably helps ten times as many lurkers as thread contributors, so even if that one person doesn't act on advice (and nothing wrong with sticking to your own process after taking other's thoughts on board) there are still people benefiting from the time any replier puts in.

We don't often see the head-butt-against-the-wall-set-in-your-way posting much anymore (luckily) but it's been something that happened in the past and is I think par for the course on any forum/social media platform. Most of the time I would say that the debate if asked for is usually pretty well received, even if not acted on.

jazzyb69
FISOhead
FS Record: Best ever season 2009/10 = 2,432 points 1,385th. Best ever week total = 188 (2016/17 season)

Post by jazzyb69 »

I pick my Captain based on gut instinct each week and then look at the Captain poll and change my mind based on that. It usually doesn't pay off. It did this week however as I switched from Vardy to KDB so got 4 points for my captain instead of zero. :lol:

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Ironfist wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 23:18 3. Form - when FPL managers are in top form, it's worth giving their posts more attention during their good run, eg thebillfella so far this season, Spiderm4tt on his winning season, F4c last GW22...
Thanks for dropping my name as well, love you too. :mrgreen:

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Spinynorman wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 11:23 I listen to and am often influenced by opinion on here but unfortunately it often goes awry. There are also times when I stick to my own instincts and knowledge of football but this also often goes awry. :?
This :lol: :lol: Someone help..

(just in the context of this season)

wonkypenguin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by wonkypenguin »

I listen to a lot of the stuff in the STC thread!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

I also listen intently, although mainly to the voices in my head.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”