To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW 15 Captain

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Who's it gonna be?

Vardy
75%
De Bruyne
No votes
Mane
7%
Sterling
5%
Auba
5%
Salah
2%
Abraham
No votes
Jiménez
No votes
Kane
No votes
Firmino
No votes
Maddison
No votes
Pulisic
4%
Son
No votes
Alli
No votes
Ricardo Pereira
No votes
VVD
No votes
TAA
1%
Robertson
No votes
Pukki
No votes
Ings
1%
Rashford
No votes
Lundstram
1%
D Silva
No votes

Total votes: 103

Stevieste
Dumbledore
FS Record: 24,360

Re: GW 15 Captain

Post by Stevieste »

Zimmerman wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 20:51 He did (11 I think)... and that’s the record isn’t it. I’m desperately hoping, the law of averages (as improbable as they seem) come to fruition.

Pretty much everything is telling me I’m hopelessly wrong... but I am stupidly flogging the same horse I decided to back 5 weeks ago.
Im in same boat, i opted for Rashford over Vardy

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

Actually i give up on Sterling C Every week, he just not doing it at the moment.

Time for Mr Lundstram captain this week and Sterling vice.

Now don't listen to Blah and swap back, like i did last gameweek when had TAA captain until the last minute

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought of Lund tbh. Ings and Vardy have avoided blanking for a few weeks, Pullasicky seems a tad risky, Tammy not certain to start, Lpool Defs in a derby kinda leaves me with Foxy Perthing or Lund...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

It was on Mane before this evening... but I have a tiny nagging feeling about him starting (completely unfounded and based on nothing more than me thinking I’ve got spidey senses). Klopp does throw in the odd curve ball now and again (Started a game against Chelsea without Firmino and Mane and they were a lot better side than Everton are now).

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

Well I think I have a better team than most, but have been let down with my mediocre captain pick.

When I see a poll like this where everyone has gone for Vardy, then I should also go for Vardy and nullify the captaincy as a competitive factor.

Captain typically gets 25% of your points, I think the challenge with it is to not be greedy and just don’t pick someone with volatile returns. It’s more about not cocking it up and beating everyone else with your superior XI.

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

Stu255 wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 22:18 Well I think I have a better team than most, but have been let down with my mediocre captain pick.

When I see a poll like this where everyone has gone for Vardy, then I should also go for Vardy and nullify the captaincy as a competitive factor.

Captain typically gets 25% of your points, I think the challenge with it is to not be greedy and just don’t pick someone with volatile returns. It’s more about not cocking it up and beating everyone else with your superior XI.
What do you do if he not in your team and your to stubborn to bring him in ? 🤔

chris2k_11
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Pontoon 2011/12 Winner, FISOlympics Decathlon 14/15 Gold Medal, FISO 5AS The Kangals 17/18 & 20/21, Spaceballs Leagues 17/18 Winner (Classic and H2H), FISO Swiss Cup 20/21 Champion

Post by chris2k_11 »

if want to be differential goes for lundstram ?? i think to play safe better stick with vardy for the armband and others option could be jimenez, mane/salah ....

Salte2
Treebeard
FS Record: Not good

Post by Salte2 »

Stevieste wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 20:46
Bob Newhart wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 20:35
Hotpot wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 11:50Has been promised sexual favours from his Mrs if he scores this week - allegedly!
Looking at her, I reckon this week might be the end of his scoring streak.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Class 👌🏻
Totally the opposite, I would say.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

This is interesting...

Whilst everyone captains Vardy, take a look at who has been the highest scoring player each week this season.
highest scoring player.PNG
GW1 - Mid
GW2 - Fwd
GW3 - Mid
GW4 - Fwd
GW5 - Mid

What changed around this point?

GW6 - Mid
GW7 - Def
GW8 - Mid
GW9 - Def
GW10 - Mid
GW11 - Def
GW12 - Def
GW13 - Def
GW14 - Def

Seems like the lack of clean sheets this season is masking how we view defenders! They are no longer the boring "value option" they are increasingly the big haulers.
As the biggest hauls each week are increasingly coming from the back, is the fact that defenders are cheap causing some kind of cognitive blindness?

Are defenders hauls in anyway more predictable than strikers hauls? This isn't necessarily down to the wing backs either as 4 of these defender hauls came from Centrebacks,
Is this the modern "set piece" strategies and tactical work finally coming through the Premier League data?

Is this perhaps also why we are missing so many clean sheets?
Are the big guys getting smarter and learning how to beat the zonal system by finding the physical mismatches in the box?

Hmmmm? Or maybe it's just random low sample noise and overdue a revision to mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Panserjohan
Treebeard
FS Record: Started 2007

Post by Panserjohan »

Not a good round to pick a diff if you are anywhere near the top 200K mark. "Everyone" is going with Vardy, so if he should haul, you'll be seing red arrows. I'll be picking a "defensive" captain in Vardy this GW.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

I've got no data to back this up but I do feel that defenders are often the highest scorers in a single week, a goal and a clean sheet virtually guarantees 3bps which is 15 points I think?

Issue always is you need this double whammy as double defender attacking returns like Van Dijk is pretty rare and predicting the clean sheets is hard enough but predicting the defenders attacking returns is nigh on impossible.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

But that’s cherry picking the best out of hundreds.
Arguably VvD this weekend was a sound pick... but more sound than Mane or Salah?

I think it’s more to do with the abject disappointment of once reliable points scorers;

Aguero, Kane, Sterling and Salah have all disappointed.

Vardy the most inform/reliable... and he’s managed a steady 80 points over the 9 weeks highlighted (compared to the 156 of those selected)?

6 points from a defender might be a safer bet from a defender than any given striker to score 1 goal; but the propensity for defenders to register double digits must be a fraction of the midfield/strikers doing it?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I concur that there is now real merit in seeing defenders as net contributors to the team. The extra benefits of a Chilwell or TAA justify their price tags. Playing four or even five at the back used to be frowned upon. As compared to the x3 cheap defender approach Bulgarche was years ahead of the curve, before the curve even existed.
Last year I captained Robertson, Mendy and Alonso a few times. It was always a better move before the decision than with the benefit of hindsight! So now I consider a double figure haul from a defender, such as Trent last week, as the bonus itself as the variance is too great for me to place the armband on them regularly

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Imagine captaining the player who will outscore Vardy this weekend. What a differential.

It's GW's like this I really wish I could have a tiny glimpse into the not too distant future!

(C)Vardy
(VC)Pulisic

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

Hmmm,

I know the defenders hauls seem more volatile but with the 4pts for the CS a large element of it, I would expect top 6 defenders v’s bottom 6 clubs to yield a fairly good “predictability” for double digit hauls.

The CS is much more of a ‘team performance’ factor.

Modern tactics increasingly utilises defenders as attackers and increasingly demands strikers use their energy pressing for the ball.

It would be an interesting study to see the correlation between fixture difficulty v’s strikers hauls compared to fixture difficulty v’s defenders hauls.

I would tend to think fixture difficulty is a bigger determinant of defenders hauls than of strikers (because of the CS element besides other things).

But what is new (ish) is that defenders are increasingly getting double digit hauls. Of the 12 double digit hauls last week, 4 were defenders including 2 of the top 3.

But defenders are now often 30-50% of the double digit scores each week. I don’t think this has always been the case.

A quick check (of about 20 defender hauls) and the same opposition keep coming up? It seems that defenders are getting their double digit hauls against...

Palace
Burnley
Watford
Southampton

Which suggests I should consider Pereira (I won’t, I will capt Vardy), but let’s see what happens here.
Last edited by Stu255 on 03 Dec 2019, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

ZeroRemorse wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 12:33 Imagine captaining the player who will outscore Vardy this weekend. What a differential.

It's GW's like this I really wish I could have a tiny glimpse into the not too distant future!

(C)Vardy
(VC)Pulisic
I will help you.

This week its all about Lundstram 😉

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Interesting observation, and discussion. I'm sticking with my attacker though, and it's not Vardy, more chances imo to score well.
ZeroRemorse wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 12:33 Imagine captaining the player who will outscore Vardy this weekend. What a differential.
Auba :wink:

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

I commend the brave souls captaining other players than Vardy.

Watford is dead last and managerless with a pile of defensive injuries.

Leicester brimming with confidence and riding a high.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

ZeroRemorse wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:06 I commend the brave souls captaining other players than Vardy.

Yes, everyone is on Vardy.

But the bookies have shorter odds on City who are playing at Burnley, and Chelsea who are at home to Villa. City and Chelsea also shorter than Leicester to score over 3.5 goals.
Interestingly the bookies have Vardy at 4/6 to score at any time, which is shorter than every player except... Tammy Abraham!

From the betting markets it looks like Abraham is fit to play, and checking the news it seems he trained with the team on Monday (not on his own).

Might we see some last minute switching?

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

This feels like pre season all over again - everyone bigging up a big back 5/6. That theory didn't last long (much the same as Bulgarche's approach last year) and only a few stuck with it past 10 GWs.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Stu255 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 12:57 Hmmm,

I know the defenders hauls seem more volatile but with the 4pts for the CS a large element of it, I would expect top 6 defenders v’s bottom 6 clubs to yield a fairly good “predictability” for double digit hauls.

The CS is much more of a ‘team performance’ factor.

Modern tactics increasingly utilises defenders as attackers and increasingly demands strikers use their energy pressing for the ball.

It would be an interesting study to see the correlation between fixture difficulty v’s strikers hauls compared to fixture difficulty v’s defenders hauls.

I would tend to think fixture difficulty is a bigger determinant of defenders hauls than of strikers (because of the CS element besides other things).

But what is new (ish) is that defenders are increasingly getting double digit hauls. Of the 12 double digit hauls last week, 4 were defenders including 2 of the top 3.

But defenders are now often 30-50% of the double digit scores each week. I don’t think this has always been the case.

A quick check (of about 20 defender hauls) and the same opposition keep coming up? It seems that defenders are getting their double digit hauls against...

Palace
Burnley
Watford
Southampton

Which suggests I should consider Pereira (I won’t, I will capt Vardy), but let’s see what happens here.
Are there more defenders scoring double digits, or less offensive players doing it (skewing the distribution)?

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

ajcairns wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 14:28 This feels like pre season all over again - everyone bigging up a big back 5/6. That theory didn't last long (much the same as Bulgarche's approach last year) and only a few stuck with it past 10 GWs.
I think it's much more nuanced than that.
This is about using the armband, not picking your team.

There seems to be 3 or 4 clubs who fairly regularly give big hauls to opposition defenders.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’d be interested to see who.. my suspicion is that we are seeing a relationship that is perhaps circumstantial.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Stu255 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 14:42
ajcairns wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 14:28 This feels like pre season all over again - everyone bigging up a big back 5/6. That theory didn't last long (much the same as Bulgarche's approach last year) and only a few stuck with it past 10 GWs.
I think it's much more nuanced than that.
This is about using the armband, not picking your team.

There seems to be 3 or 4 clubs who fairly regularly give big hauls to opposition defenders.
I don't think the sample size is big enough to draw any such conclusions.

I note you include Burnley as regularly giving big hauls to defenders, I haven't checked, but can only recall Lundstram and TAA this season - one of those plays in midfield and the other was just an assist and a rare clean sheet with bonus.

Edit: now I have checked and it is just those two. Looks like Man Utd have allowed four, which is second to Watford's five.

Jos
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Shameful

Post by Jos »

Pulisic ...

I hope Vardy limps off after 2 minutes.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

No Vardy, so Mane (c) for me, KDB (vc).

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Stu255 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:48
ZeroRemorse wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:06 I commend the brave souls captaining other players than Vardy.

Yes, everyone is on Vardy.

But the bookies have shorter odds on City who are playing at Burnley, and Chelsea who are at home to Villa. City and Chelsea also shorter than Leicester to score over 3.5 goals.
Interestingly the bookies have Vardy at 4/6 to score at any time, which is shorter than every player except... Tammy Abraham!

From the betting markets it looks like Abraham is fit to play, and checking the news it seems he trained with the team on Monday (not on his own).

Might we see some last minute switching?
Hey Stu,

Sadly, Tammy’s price has no correlation to his likelihood to start. It’d be that price whatever the state of his fitness. The betting markets always price players up as if they are fit to start/expected to start so they don’t get stung. For example Rhian Brewster is 2.8 in the Anytime GS market for Liv vs Eve, even though he probably won’t even be in the squad.
Ihanaecho is 2.4 for Leicester anytime etc etc.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I’m not sure anyone’s saying that. I think it’s just that base price defence is no longer the only way.
cf A few years ago defenders were mainly there to make up the numbers and be a drain on budget.

Stevieste
Dumbledore

Post by Stevieste »

I really really really want to make Lundstram my captain but something telling me that i come off Sterling it will be costly after having him captain for so long and he is a form player who finally scored last week and could kick start a run 🤔

I also have a feeling pep my rest him for the derby 🤦🏼‍♂️

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 16:40
I’m not sure anyone’s saying that. I think it’s just that base price defence is no longer the only way.
cf A few years ago defenders were mainly there to make up the numbers and be a drain on budget.
My 5 atb have bern doing better thsn ok since I went to it.

Preseason I pondered permabanding Lpool one, and may well do so if\when the clean sheets start.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”