To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW1 BB

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: GW1 BB

Post by Stemania »

Sutter Kane wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:03 Well we could do a points expectation... remember last season with Brighton DGW, where virtually nothing was expected from Wolves(A) Spurs(A), with good reason. That's the kind of potential we save our BB for - the double fixtures are unknown??
I was perfectly fine with that tbh. For me the point of a hypothetical DGW BB (if decided upon) is not to have awesome cheap bench players with two good fixtures necessarily, it's just to at a minimum match the points expectation of the best SGW BB opportunity with minimal effort, simply by utilising the fact that you have double appearance points and double chances of a CS. :)

Last year the reason I personally thought Brighton worked so well was that they also had a good DGW in the gameweek immediately before the BB DGW in question - so last year DGWBBing arguably magnified the advantage of a certain combination of players (rather than compromised them) because you got 4 fixtures in 2 gameweeks from Brighton. So in that sense I didn't particularly mind the tougher fixtures in the second DGW as I saw it as an investment over a 4 fixture-period that would inevitably provide less variance than a two-gameweek period. It was quite funny how they flopped in the easier fixtures and CSed in the tougher ones mind. :lol: A decent example against the strawman that everyone doing a DGWBB picks bench players with eyes only on that week, at significant extra price, with good DGW fixtures, at the cost of the surrounding weeks though.

Of course, if we're now in a world where 4atb is the new norm, rather than 3atb, then arguably all BBs are devalued.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Billy Bongo wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 12:39 Only those that have closed minds to anything different to the herd seem to question it
Surely the very definition of an open mind is the ability to question things?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Exactly yes, been done to death, bbgwk1 is a perfectly valid option, as is not going with it,

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Sutter Kane wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:03 If you are of the opinion that you want to last as long as possible

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Thankfully this has moved on to the general idea....
Billy Bongo wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 12:39 It's an excellent idea and has been debated endlessly, the maths and logic works.
This year fixtures don't work for me so I'm not doing it
Why have you dismissed it?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

One unrelated point of interest is not the pointing out that Lpool have an extra DGW, but that they will have a BGW, just before Xmas (I believe but not in Father Xmas)

As if I know who they should be playing that GW, but they will blank that GW too, so some prudence is required with the opponents?

Bixer
FISOhead

Post by Bixer »

I was ready and willing to do this this season. I've been of the opinion for a couple of seasons now that the DGW/BGW planning that we all do around GW30+ every year probably clouds our judgement more than we should let it, so to 'get rid' of one chip early on to not have to worry about it any more is something I've wanted to try.

That said, unfortunately there just don't seem to be enough playing budget options this year. None of the £4.0m defenders are remotely nailed and due to the number of expensive premiums this year I'm having to go with a £4.0m second keeper too - who also won't play. If I were to Bench Boost GW1 there's a genuince chance all I'd get is 2 or 3 points for Dendoncker and maybe a 1 point cameo from Greenwood and nothing else.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

template or not to template

Post by blahblah »

I've had a tinker and gone to this lot with a GW1 BB:

Fab, Lloris (I'm torn between the 2, so why not have both and tgen dump one?)

VvD
Robbo
TAA
Laporte (all warm, safe and fuzzy long term picks)
Watford 4.5m to be upgraded when the GK mud clears.

Sterling
KdB
Barkley
Martial (last 2 in for Richarlison who us just back from Copa America)
Dendoncker

King
Pukki (maybe I should move on from New(H) in GW2 😂)
Locadia (a downgrade from Wood to fund the midfield switch)

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Re: template or not to template

Post by Sutter Kane »

You're bb with Dendoncker? I'd do something about that keeper situation. Transfers later on are not the way imo. Captain situation looks precarious, you're putting all your eggs in the Sterling basket. You will have a bench of Fabianski (plays Man C, 3 points), Watford def (ok if you can pick the starter for sure), Dendoncker (2 points), Locadia (Away at your Watford defender). I have to say, that's not a BB bench - the ceiling is too low. Oh and Pukki is away at Liverpool to boot!

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

blahblah wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 10:22 I've had a tinker and gone to this lot with a GW1 BB:

VvD
Robbo
TAA

Sterling
KdB
Barkley
Dendoncker

King
Nothing wrong with the BB GW1 thing, but I also like the 3 prime non defender GW1 to GW3 captain choices and that messes my budget for a guaranteed 15 to start in GW1. With that squad who other than Sterling will you captain in those first few weeks?
My first few GW's are a mess. Salah is not in my squad yet and will not be for the first three weeks so I am stuck with Kane, Sigurdsson and Sterling in that GW order as captains Not a great season captain start. Holding onto Wood is my last grasp at sanity.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Oxford NZ wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 10:55 Holding onto Wood is my last grasp at sanity.
:shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Sutter Kane wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 11:01
Oxford NZ wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 10:55 Holding onto Wood is my last grasp at sanity.
:shock:
😂😂😂😂

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Oxford NZ wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 10:55
blahblah wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 10:22 I've had a tinker and gone to this lot with a GW1 BB:

VvD
Robbo
TAA

Sterling
KdB
Barkley
Dendoncker

King
Nothing wrong with the BB GW1 thing, but I also like the 3 prime non defender GW1 to GW3 captain choices and that messes my budget for a guaranteed 15 to start in GW1. With that squad who other than Sterling will you captain in those first few weeks?
My first few GW's are a mess. Salah is not in my squad yet and will not be for the first three weeks so I am stuck with Kane, Sigurdsson and Sterling in that GW order as captains Not a great season captain start. Holding onto Wood is my last grasp at sanity.
Permabanding Sterling. ..

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Sutter Kane wrote:You will have a bench of Fabianski (plays Man C, 3 points), Watford def (ok if you can pick the starter for sure), Dendoncker (2 points), Locadia (Away at your Watford defender). I have to say, that's not a BB bench - the ceiling is too low. Oh and Pukki is away at Liverpool to boot!
Agreed, I wouldn’t BB with those players Blah

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Posts concerning a GW1BB moved from the template thread. :D

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore

Post by Oxford NZ »

That interlude was moving, but not in the way I was expecting. Are we talking template or GW1 BB?
Both are intrinsically interwoven imo. The budget to get three captains in the first three weeks is tough to do and so the template is diluted to also get 15 playing for a bench boost.
Back to holding on to wood! Is that template or is that too radical?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Definitely a niche position. I'm hoping that we get the commentary of "the defender is Holding the forward's Wood" 😉

I think your Capt search\issue is worthy of a Thread on it's own re How many Premiums are needed..

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore

Post by Oxford NZ »

blahblah wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 11:44 Definitely a niche position. I'm hoping that we get the commentary of "the defender is Holding the forward's Wood" 😉

I think your Capt search\issue is worthy of a Thread on it's own re How many Premiums are needed..
maybe just the two with Kane and or Sterling or Salah but I do see a need for a GW2 captain pole before we pick our GW1 squads.
Vinnie Jones and the crazy gang era was the last time that Wood holding was sanctioned.

chris2k_11
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Pontoon 2011/12 Winner, FISOlympics Decathlon 14/15 Gold Medal, FISO 5AS The Kangals 17/18 & 20/21, Spaceballs Leagues 17/18 Winner (Classic and H2H), FISO Swiss Cup 20/21 Champion

Post by chris2k_11 »

could be risk taker but you wouldn`t know it work sometime though ??? anyway not for me to use this chip in such time ... gw 1 :roll:

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

GW1 BB

Post by jacksosi »

I’m probably 50/50 on this currently, can get a nice team together with great fixtures, could give a very decent launch

Probably then Moura Image Barkley in GW2 which frees up a few ££ to tweak going forwards. Early WC fairly common for me.

Sterling the obvious missing piece.

Thoughts?

boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Post by boise1234 »

I have triggered my bench boost and have 9 of the same players you have here the main difference being I have saved a 3m by having Maddison instead of Kdb and Holebas instead of Zinchenko - have spread the 3m upgrading the keepers Rico and Gray. Will wildcard after week 1 and catch all the early price rises

KarlPilkington
Kevin and Perry

Post by KarlPilkington »

Also really considering this, cos I always always have a shit gw1 so might aswel. 15 players with decentish fixtures who should all play then wildcard for gw2. Try get off to a good start to keep me interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

I did this last year, with my team aimed towards post GW1 flexibility. Wildcarded later than ever before purely because you have more chances of hitting on a decent player for the season

Doing this also gave me a little more patience as my score was naturally higher, and ended up sticking with some players that ended up returning a few weeks later. Started my season with Jota (who wasn't good at all at the start of last season) and he was sat on my bench for 3/4 weeks with no detriment to my team in the end. Ended up in the top 1k at some point over the next month.

Highly recommend thinking about it not in a maximal points sort of view, there is no question that using the BB like this isn't the most efficient, but I'd rather have a BB that gives me lower points and a greater scope for flexibility than try and get an extra 20 points out of it in the second half of the season when my rank is more or less set around where I will finish

danzku
Treebeard
FS Record: FISO Forum League Cup 2016 Champion
Landlord of The Rounded Keeper 2021/22

Post by danzku »

boise1234 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 09:43 I have triggered my bench boost and have 9 of the same players you have here the main difference being I have saved a 3m by having Maddison instead of Kdb and Holebas instead of Zinchenko - have spread the 3m upgrading the keepers Rico and Gray. Will wildcard after week 1 and catch all the early price rises
Are there usually many price rises/falls after gw1? Every player is starting from 0%. For example after gw2 you will already see which players are close to a rise/fall and get more out of your wc regarding value.

HungryHungrySuarez
Red & Blue Braces

Post by HungryHungrySuarez »

Don't the net transfer counts reset for each game week?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Nope.

The target for a double\treble resets to the original target soplayers close to double can go upwith that reset.

(That is how it used to be....)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”