A Fantasy Football forum for news and comment on Virgin Media Fantasy Football
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Virgin Media 09/10 - main rules

Post by admin »

http://fantasyfootball.virginmedia.com/

2009/10 Virgin Media Fantasy Football - main rules

The Virgin Media Fantasy Football game is FREE to play.

The game will score points on the English Premier League

Only 1 team per entrant may be registered

The first 2 weeks of the game (equates to 3 gameweeks) will be a season warm-up (don't count towards the prize game which starts on 29 August).

Week Transfer Deadline Scheduled Matches
WARM-UP PHASE
1 15/08/2009 2:00 PM 15/08-17/08
2 18/08/2009 6:45 PM 18/08-21/08
3 22/08/2009 2:00 PM 22/08-28/08

Each team is allocated unlimited transfers for the warm-up period. All points will be reset to zero at 17.00 (UK time) on Friday 28th August.

Scoring will then start from the matches played on 29 August 2009 through to the matches played on 15th May 2010.

Select a fantasy squad of 15, but remain under the £100m budget.

In addition, no more than 3 players from the same Premier League team can be selected during any Game Week. If a player is transferred during the season and this transfer takes you over this limit, then you will need to go back under this limit when making your next changes.

From the 15-player squad, you must select a starting 11 for each Game Week. When submitting a starting 11, you may choose from 3 different formations: 4-4-2, 4-3-3, or 4-5-1.

In addition, you must designate one player as your team captain. All fantasy points earned in the Game Week by the designated team captain will be doubled.

Prior to the start of the competition season (on 29 Aug) i.e. including the Warm-up Period, you may make unlimited transfers to your team. Once the first match of the competition season starts, each team is limited to a maximum of 2 transfers in any one Game Week.

The deadline to make transfers or changes to your starting 11 is always one hour prior to the first match of the week (typically every Saturday). Once the weekly deadline passes, your squad for that Game Week is locked. Transfers can be made for the following week after the start of the first match.

Scoring

Forwards Points

Goal 3
Assist 1
3 or more goals in match (bonus) 5
Yellow card -1
Red card -3
Game Appearance 1
>70 Minutes Played 1

Midfielders Points

Goal 5
Assist 1
Yellow card -1
Red card -3
Game Appearance 1
>70 Minutes Played 1

Defenders Points

Goal 7
Assist 1
Clean sheet 5
Goals allowed -1
Yellow card -1
Red card -3
Game Appearance 1
>70 Minutes Played 1

Goalkeepers Points

Goal 10
Assist 1
Save 1
Penalty kick save 5
Clean sheet 5
Goal Allowed -1
Yellow card -1
Red card -3
Team Win 3
Team Draw 1
Game Appearance 1
>70 Minutes Played 1

Feature Video Bonus Points

Player appearing in any top 5 Goals, top 5 Saves or Team of the Week videos. 1 (per appearance)

A "Clean sheet" is awarded to goalkeepers and defenders who play for an entire match in which their team does not allow the opposition to score.

Feature Video Bonus

Any player you have on your fantasy squad that appears in the weekly Feature Video clips, because they have scored one of the top 5 Goals of the Week, performed one of the top 5 Saves of the Week or appear in the top Team of the Week (the 11 best players from around the league) will receive a 1 point bonus added to their weekly fantasy score per appearance. In the event the same player appears more than once in these 3 videos, you will receive 1 bonus point for each appearance. Only matches on Saturdays and Sundays are eligible for inclusion in these Feature Videos. They are chosen and compiled entirely independently of Virgin Media and their Fantasy game partners. All Feature Video selections are made on Sunday night and will be included in scoring updates Monday morning.

Head To Head Leagues

In addition to any mini league, all users registering prior to the start of Game Week 5 will be automatically entered into a public league of 18 total users to compete in a head to head match each Game Week.

End of Season Prizes

The highest scoring manager at the end of the season will win the 'Ultimate Gadget Package!'

Monthly Prizes:

The highest scoring manager each month of the season (September 09 - May 10) will win an item of signed memorabilia worth around £200.

Pieman666
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Pretty ordinary

Re: Virgin Media 09/10 - main rules

Post by Pieman666 »

From the 15-player squad, you must select a starting 11 for each Game Week. When submitting a starting 11, you may choose from 3 different formations: 4-4-2, 4-3-3, or 4-5-1.

I'm obviously being thick but having set up my initial team in 4-4-2, I've been tinkering around and trying to change it to 4-3-3 but can't work out how to do it.

If I just change the format in the box provided and "update" it tells me that I have the wrong players on the park for a 4-3-3 (fair enough). However if I try to bench a midfielder and replace him with a striker, I get the message that you can only swap like for like players.

At first I thought that having started with a given formation you were stuck with it, but the rules appear to say otherwise. What am I doing wrong?

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

Actually, I've just done it and it's fairly simple. Just delete the player from your formation to allow the change.

So for example, if you change from 451 to 442, delete (red cross) a midfielder, then change the formation, then update. Then add a striker to complete your 442.

It's a really terrible interface though, I doubt I'll have the patience to play this all season :roll:

Pieman666
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Pieman666 »

Thanks for that. It worked but surely that will count as one transfer though? (Difficult to tell whilst xfers are free).

What I was attempting to do was just alter the formation by swapping a midfielder on the park for a striker off the bench as in FPL - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

Spencer4 wrote:...It's a really terrible interface though, I doubt I'll have the patience to play this all season :roll:
Agree with that... awful UI. But I'll struggle through that and give the game a go this season

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Pieman666 wrote:Thanks for that. It worked but surely that will count as one transfer though? (Difficult to tell whilst xfers are free).

What I was attempting to do was just alter the formation by swapping a midfielder on the park for a striker off the bench as in FPL - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.
I reported this issue to Virgin Media last Thursday and I'm sure they will rectify it soon.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Spencer4 wrote: It's a really terrible interface though, I doubt I'll have the patience to play this all season :roll:
nor me - although I've entered,it's the most user unfriendly interface I've seen in an FF game.

Pieman666
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Pieman666 »

admin wrote:
Pieman666 wrote:Thanks for that. It worked but surely that will count as one transfer though? (Difficult to tell whilst xfers are free).

I reported this issue to Virgin Media last Thursday and I'm sure they will rectify it soon.
Appreciated. At least I now know I'm not going mad. :lol:

I agree with others about the UI but it does seem a promising game as the player values vary much more wildly than in FPL and it strikes me as possible to put quite a decent team out with a bit of work. Some of their classifications seem a bit off though. :shock:

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

I agree with you about the player values,some of which seem odd.

e.g. in most FF games,the Wolves strikers Ebanks-Blake and Kevin Doyle are priced similarly,but here Doyle is at a premium for some reason - E-B is £3.7, Doyle is £6.6 - above even Carlton Cole @ £5.1, whom I rate higher than Doyle :?

Conqueror Worm
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Virgin Media 2009 winner - 3rd place Ladbrokes Euro 2008 - 5th Ladbrokes 2009 2nd Metro 2009

Post by Conqueror Worm »

Obviously a completely different game this year - but I'll hopefully scrape a team in soon 8-)
Although the prize is the gadget package again this season - hopefully prizes may be slightly different (or perhaps my suggestion of vouchers to spend on gadgets/items at a couple of shops etc may be considered - allowing a more select group of prizes to be chosen suited to the individual.)

After all, what if that winner from last year triumphs again :P :twisted:

Not So Special One
Treebeard

Post by Not So Special One »

Some players are missing, too. The only Birmingham City keeper listed is Mark Taylor. Where's Joe Hart?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I've emailed the following questions:

1) If a defender gets subbed off and his team then concede a goal, will he have a point deducted?

2) If a defender is sent off and his team then concede a goal, will be have a point deducted?

3) If a defender is sent off and his team keep a clean sheet, will he get the 5 points?

4) If a captain scores negative points, will they be doubled, e.g. scoring -1 becomes -2.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

bspittles wrote:I've emailed the following questions:

1) If a defender gets subbed off and his team then concede a goal, will he have a point deducted?

2) If a defender is sent off and his team then concede a goal, will be have a point deducted?

3) If a defender is sent off and his team keep a clean sheet, will he get the 5 points?

4) If a captain scores negative points, will they be doubled, e.g. scoring -1 becomes -2.
Pretty quick response!

1. Yes, when the point is deducted a snapshot of who's on the pitch is not taken. If that defender gets subbed off he'll still lose a point.

2. Yes

3. No, that defender needs to play the whole game to get a clean sheet.

4. Yes, captain's points are doubled regardless of whether they score positive or negative points.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

Answers to your questions 1) & 2) are clearly crazed, almost beyond belief.

They may as well go the whole hog and award asists to players who were not on the pitch when a goal was scored. I think I'm giving this a miss, I'd also hate to win Giggs' shirt :mrgreen:

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I suppose the follow-up question is:

If a defender is bought on, and his team is 2-0 down, will he lose 2 points?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

And the answer:

Yes, the scoring is team based for the defender when calculating the goal allowed category.

So a defender comes on in the 89th minute with his team 5-0 down, he gets -5 points :shock:

Not So Special One
Treebeard

bspittles wrote:I suppose the follow-up question is:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the rules say, "Only players you select for the starting 11 will earn fantasy points for the Game Week," and there's no provision for automatic substitution if one of your starting 11 doesn't play. So how would one of your players be "brought on" late in the game? (In the fantasy game, of course, not a real game.)

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

presumably they mean the situation where a player in their starting eleven doesn't start the game,but comes off the bench with 5 minutes left ?

Not So Special One
Treebeard

That would be strange, but this game is looking stranger all the time. Maybe worth e-mailing them about it?

And while we're at it, suppose a player in my starting eleven doesn't start the game, is subbed on (in the real game) with 25 minutes left, and then is subbed off 5 minutes later? Would Virgin even notice?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Not So Special One wrote:
bspittles wrote:I suppose the follow-up question is:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the rules say, "Only players you select for the starting 11 will earn fantasy points for the Game Week," and there's no provision for automatic substitution if one of your starting 11 doesn't play. So how would one of your players be "brought on" late in the game? (In the fantasy game, of course, not a real game.)
I meant if a defender is bought on in real life. There's no way to get a player off your fantasy bench once the gameweek has started!

Not So Special One
Treebeard

So the question should be, if a defender is bought on in real life, and his team is 2-0 down, will the fantasy manager lose 2 points? The rule says, "Only players you select for the starting 11 will earn fantasy points for the Game Week." I guess this applies to both plus and minus points, so the answer should be no.

However, if your starting player is subbed off before 70 minutes have been played in the match, he won't get the additional 1 point. Also, if a defender or keeper is subbed off, and his side later concedes one or more goals, that will cost fantasy points even though your player wasn't even on the pitch. That's what the rules say.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Spencer4 wrote:Answers to your questions 1) & 2) are clearly crazed, almost beyond belief.

:
It's a bit like our own FF game in FISO. :wink:
fiso-fantasy-manager-rules-t63388.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A defender who is substituted whilst no goals have been scored but whose team subsequently concedes a goal does not score points for a Clean Sheet."

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

Has anyone figured out yet how to replace an "In Play" Player with one from the Subs Bench without using a transfer. I mean what's the point of having Subs if you can't swap them around. :?

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Click "Manage your team" on the right side of your team.There is cut-off time for subbing players as well, so if you sub now it would effect for weekends game.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

I knew to click the "Manage your Team" button, but I still couldn't figure out how to move players from the subs bench to replace an In Play player. However I just had another look and I noticed the little grey arrow next to the red box you use to transfer a player. If you hit this it moves your players backwards and forwards but it is so inconspicious I never noticed it until now. :oops:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Virgin Media Fantasy Football”