A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Chillis

Post by kizkiz »

I know a few of you guys grow chillis, so thought a thread was in order

I've had a pretty good season from my first two chilli plants
One is a cayenne type from the garden centre that has produced a stupid amount of fruits and is still going :D
The other is a scotch bonnet that has a fair amount of large green fruits at the moment. Just waiting for them to ripen

I fancy trying to overwinter them to get a head start next year, so think i'll bring them inside. Any tips?
Anyone got any good tips fro growing from seed or places to get decent varieties?

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Re: Chillis

Post by SUZYKINS »

I used this & recommend decent seeds, (try http://www.chileseeds.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Growing Chilli Peppers
If you use our new Germination Powder, make up solution, soak seeds for 1 hour take them out and put on dry kitchen paper to dry naturally, 10 – 20 minutes, do not pat dry just leave them to dry themselves and then plant.

Once your seeds have sprouted you can transplant to 75 mm pots. (We use multi purpose compost with vermiculite mixed in to aid drainage.) Add water to your compost and mix well; it should be as moist as a wrung-out sponge before you put it into your containers. Ideally you want the compost to be in a warm place before planting takes place so as not to shock the seedlings. Fill your containers 25 mm from the top. We use a plastic plant label or pencil to pick the seedling up and drop it in the middle of the 75 mm pot, do not worry which way the seedling is facing it will sort its self out as it grows. Sprinkle a little compost over the seedling. Water to settle them in with a spray bottle. Label with a plastic stick label using a permenant marker pen. As the seedlings grow use your spray bottle to keep them moist.

“Potting On” Your Seedlings
When you can see some roots through the hole in the bottom of the pot you can re pot your plant. A standard progression is, 75, 150 and then the final 200 mm. First, fill the new containers with moistened compost, make a hole of the right depth for your seedling to sit into. Lift the tiny plants carefully with the help of a pencil pushed from the underside of the pot through the drainage hole. The less the roots are disturbed, the better.
Lower each plant into the hole you've made and plant it in its new home. Peppers (unlike other plants) will make new roots along their buried stems, so if your seedlings are leggy, you can transplant them so that their stems are covered by the soil up to the base of the bottom cluster of leaves.
Gently firm the soil around the transplants and water carefully.

Once your plants set fruit, start feeding once or twice a week with a good all-purpose liquid fertiliser such as Miracle-Gro, or a general Tomato Feed diluted half-strength. Always follow the manufactureres recommendations. Better still try Chilli Focus, this chilli plant food is a precise formulation for optimal performance of chillies in pots, grow bags or even in the ground. You can buy it from our website. With Chilli Focus plants can be fed from the seedling stage onwards. The recommendation is to feed weekly but this can be increased as needed. As long as foliage is dark green then feeding is adequate but if it becomes pale then feeding can be increased. Increase frequency of feeding rather than feed strength. Plants can be fed up to three or four times per week without problems.

Most hot peppers and some sweet peppers require insect pollination to form fruit. If the proper insect is absent, or if the local insects are not attracted to your pepper flowers, you may see the plants flower and never set fruit. This is especially true for hot peppers grown indoors or in a greenhouse.

Pollen is produced on the stamens, and usually ripens between noon and 3 PM every day. Take a moistened watercolour paintbrush, and pick up some pollen on your brush and transfer it to the other flower centres. You can get close to 100% fruit set with hand pollination.
Flowers do not form or will drop off and fruit will not set if the temperature is much below 17C.

The Jolokia family of seeds can be tricky to germinate and do benefit from the germination solution and a germination temperature of between 80°F and 89°F. The flowers also benefit from hand pollination with a paint brush. The Jolokia seeds can take between 7 and 28 days to germinate.
It was noted by The Chile Pepper Institute that the Bhut Jolokia chilli never produced fruits without artificial pollination in the greenhouse, and little pollen was produced (which means their flowers might need a little help with a fine brush indoors). Do not leave your chilli plant on a window sill over night as temperatures can drop and it will not do your plant any good.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I had a cracking chilli year and they are still going.

I grew Cayenne and Bell this year (seeds from SA) - though neither was blisteringly hot. I picked the first batch when green now they are all going red.

I think I mentioned elsewhere I find chilli's a bit like goldfish - their size is dictated by the size of the pot they are contained in - big pot ='ing big plants.

Chillies need a warm place to germinate and grow - but I am not a great "over-winterer" of anything (anyone ever eaten a tasty winter strawberry or compared one picked fresh from outside on a summer's day?)

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

SUZYKINS wrote:I used this & recommend decent seeds, (try http://www.chileseeds.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
From the site above, a short extract after eating a curry made using "Satan's ashes" chilli combo :lol:

"I won't actually be attempting to repeat the feat due to the savage harm which was inflicted upon my person when the curry made it's way (explosively) out of my ringpiece about six hours later. "As above, so below" and if I thought the pain in my mouth was bad, it was nought but a tickle compared to the shitting broken glass sensation of my burning arse (fortunately not pictured). I woke up in the wee hours for round 2 of shitpocalypse and almost passed out from the pain in my guts"
:lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Post by Pasty »

Had 12 chili plants on the go in the house this year at one point :shock: I've still got 'Bertha' my 3 foot high and 3 foot wide Savina Habenero pumping out super hot chillis.
Made an encona style very hot chili sauce with mango, pineapple ,cider vinegar, garlic and a few other bits and bobs last night. Should be good with cheese and onion pie :P . Also made a chili relish the other week, dang is that good :D
Had a few nice looking ornamentals this year , a Golden Globe which has yellow minature apple shaped pods and another rainbow variety both kitchen windowsill types.
Had a few Fresno plants on the go which i grew from supermarket chili left overs and although prolific were pretty disapointing heat/flavour wise.
Got seeds for Hot Bananna, Scotch Bonnets, Habs and a few others for next season. Would like to try a few super super hots: Fatali and 7 Pot and maybe one or two others. No room though :|
Bring a ripe bonnet to Luton Kiz and I'll compare its heat to one of my Savinas, I'll bring a few seeds down also :D

Overwintering? chilisgalore forum is your best bet, a mostly English forum for all things chili :mrgreen:

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

kizkiz wrote:
SUZYKINS wrote:I used this & recommend decent seeds, (try http://www.chileseeds.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
From the site above, a short extract after eating a curry made using "Satan's ashes" chilli combo :lol:

"I won't actually be attempting to repeat the feat due to the savage harm which was inflicted upon my person when the curry made it's way (explosively) out of my ringpiece about six hours later. "As above, so below" and if I thought the pain in my mouth was bad, it was nought but a tickle compared to the shitting broken glass sensation of my burning arse (fortunately not pictured). I woke up in the wee hours for round 2 of shitpocalypse and almost passed out from the pain in my guts"
:lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:
wimp :lol:

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Seeds are in for this year and a few have been potted on already.

Seed list:
Bhut jolokia
White Habanero
Cayenne
Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeno
Fatalii yellow
7 Pot Jonah
Naga Morich

Have 12 potted on
First Fatalii loop appeared today (2 weeks after planting!)

2nd Batch planted today. another 40 seeds

Looking forward to this year 8-)

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

kizkiz wrote:Seeds are in for this year and a few have been potted on already.

Seed list:
Bhut jolokia
White Habanero
Cayenne
Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeno
Fatalii yellow
7 Pot Jonah
Naga Morich

Have 12 potted on
First Fatalii loop appeared today (2 weeks after planting!)

2nd Batch planted today. another 40 seeds

Looking forward to this year 8-)

Good selection there Kiz :D

I've got an over wintered Red Savina coming on nicely and some Scotch Bonnet that germinated the other day. I've also got some Hungarian Hot Wax and one or two others for this season. Bit short of space though :| Good luck with the White Habs, a lot of them dont turn out quite what it says on the tin..

Any spare Fatali seeds :P

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

I think i do have some spare fatalii actually.
Second loop appeared today, so hopefully i'll actually have some this year :lol:

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Bout time i updated this.
The good old british, "Wettest, crappest summer ever" has kyboshed the good season i was hoping for
The cayennes are ripening and getting picked regularly, and i will have enough Jalapenos to supply my local branchof Dominos for thenext 10 years :lol:
The super hots are epic fail though. Finally getting some fruiting, but it's pretty damn late.

View from the greenhouse door
chillis aug12.jpg
Plenty of ripe cayennes. One is well over 6 foot tall and running around the roof now!
cayennes aug12.jpg
Lots of scotch bonnets to come
bonnets aug12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Psychic pasty was right about the "white" habanero :lol:
white hab lol.jpg
Plenty of flowers are beginning to fruit across the board. Just hope we have a nice indian summer
The plants are all about 4 to 5 foot tall and nicely bushy now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

I take no pleasure from predicting that White Hab might not be very White, which hotties have you got fruit from? I have a couple of plant with a fair amount of fruit but nothing spectacular as they're in my bedroom :lol: Bleedin things are plagued with aphids as well, fk knows how the upstairs plants are crawling and the downstairs ones aren't. Hows my Fatali coming on :wink:

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

The great british weather has completely effed the super hots.
They are covered in flowers, and most are starting to fruit, but they are way behind where they should be and itmay be too late already.
There is at least one fruit on each though, including the fatalii :lol:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Horror year for chillies Kiz - not hot enough for long enough.

Picked some at the weekend - but poor yields - ah well that's gardening!

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

While it was not a year for super hots, i shall have enough cayennes and jalapenos to last me a life time :lol:
Plenty of scotch bonnets now too

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

What a difference a few days of warm weather makes! Plenty of pods coming through now. Just hope the weather stays nice long enough to grow and ripen them
Had a couple of jalapenos on my pizza last night and they were proper hot. yum 8-)

Scotch bonnets are plentiful and ripening (although most are a bit small)
Bonnets sep12.jpg
The 7 pot jonah is the best of the sup hots so far
7 Pot Sep 12.jpg
More 7pot sep12.jpg
A couple of BhutJolokia ripening
Bhut jolokia Aug12.jpg
naga Morich - plenty of pods coming
Naga Morich sep12.jpg
One little red jalapeno
Red Jalapeno.jpg

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

Just placed my order for this year that includes:

Brain Strain 7 Pot :shock:
Fatalli :D
Orange Habs 8-)

and couldnt resist some Triple XXl super hot powder

Roll on Summer...

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Grow list for this year:
Scotch bonnet
Cayenne
Jalapeño
Bhut jolokia
Naga morich
Fatalii
Aji limon
Butch T
Choc habs
7 pot jonah

Here's hoping for a better year

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

kizkiz wrote:Grow list for this year:
Scotch bonnet
Cayenne
Jalapeño
Bhut jolokia
Naga morich
Fatalii
Aji limon
Butch T
Choc habs
7 pot jonah

Here's hoping for a better year
Forgive my ignorance but I was not aware that the British were such fans of hot peppers. That is a pretty lethal list you have there...what are you making with all of that?

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

The jalapeños go on pizzas.
The cayennes go in most things :lol:
The super hots are for chillis and sauces/chutneys, as long as I get enough this year

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

kizkiz wrote:The jalapeños go on pizzas.
The cayennes go in most things :lol:
The super hots are for chillis and sauces/chutneys, as long as I get enough this year
Well that would make sense. Being in texas I get exposed to a variety of peppers in many different applications so was just wondering. I received some Bhut Jolokia Salsa for christmas and the stuff is as close to inedible as any salsa I have had before. I can't remember the name of the pepper but according to a Mens Health magazine a few months ago there is now one that is testing even hotter! :shock:

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

The salsa depends on whether its made with pure chilli or extract. Extract sauces are not good.
You'd be surprised how popular chilli growing is over here, but it's a damn sight harder than Texas I bet!
I'm guessing you can just bung them outside and get great harvests every year?

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Yes it is extrememly easy where I live. The amount of fruit that the plants produce is staggering and results in a lot of donated peppers to friends and coworkers.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Nice thread Kizkiz!

I tried growing chillis for the first time last year, with limited success - weather conditions meant it wasn't the ideal year to start, and I was growing outdoors. Three types - Jalapenos, Cayenne, and another type called "Basket of Fire" which produced lots of small yellow fruit but which never fully ripened. They still worked well as pickled chillis though - have a few jars of those to work my way through.

However, this year will hopefully be better... as of last Monday (when we finally finished erecting it), I am now the proud possessor of a spanking new greenhouse :D :D :D

Will be going with all three of the above types again (with the seeds left over from last year), plus definitely some Scotch bonnets, and a few others besides.

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

(Thought I'd chip in on this thread this season in the hope that it will inspire me to have more success.)

I received my seed order yesterday from vegetableseeds.net. Nothing too exotic as it's only my third year of growing chillis.

2011 with a cheap mini greenhouse was ok - just grew a couple of scotch bonnets
2012 with an 8x6 greenhouse was not a success - just no sun or warmth I guess
2013 will be different though (hopefully) :D

Varieties I'm trying:
Twilight
Krakatoa
Cayenne Long Slim
Super Chilli
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Red Scotch Bonnet
Bulgarian Carrot
Apache
Anaheim

No real experience of most of these, I just ordered every chilli seed the company had to offer. :)

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Hogmeister - you won't regret the greenhouse :D
Jeff - last year was in fact a diabolical year for chilli growing.
I'm all excited. Even got the prop out of the garage today :D

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

As this is the chilli thread and kizkiz seems to know a lot about them can anyone tell me what this chilli is?

I bought a few of these and a few Madame Jeannettes. The guy in the shop said the red one was quite hot.

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

It looks like the scotch bonnets I'm growing although mine are still green.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

jeffmcgow wrote:It looks like the scotch bonnets I'm growing although mine are still green.

They are quite hot I hear

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Certainly is a scotch bonnet! Love them in my curries. Always better with the seeds left in too! :smile:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”