To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Wasps moved in next door

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Wasps moved in next door

Post by Jester »

Next to my door that is!

I hadn't noticed it until today, and it's already the size of a football - a wasp nest in a tree fairly close to my front door.

I'm not looking at removing it at all, in fact I find them very interesting to watch. They are also of great benefit in the garden, dealing with other more destructive pests - and the nest is a work of art in itself. I am a little concerned however, that they may become too much of a pest, especially as we have to walk right past them whenever we go out/come home.

Anyone got any experience of these? Are the little buzzers likely to keep themselves to themselves as long as we don't interfere with them? There are no children or pets around to worry about - just us grown ups!
I've read online that they will bu66er off in the autumn never to return to the same place, and as it's at the front of the house, we're very rarely anywhere near them - after getting through the front door that is!

It really is an impressive thing - I'll take a picture tomorrow if I can get close enough to do it justice!

barry
FISO Knight

Re: Wasps moved in next door

Post by barry »

they don't like vibrations...... or someone standing on thier nest (I can vouch for that :evil: )

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

Just how near to it do you have to walk? Wasps are very territorial, you seriously don't want to be going anywhere near a nest.

Bloody wasps. The Unacceptable Face Of Summer. Hangings too good for them :twisted:

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

Had nests in the hedge at the front one year, so we walked/parked near them and had a nest in the area at the side of the garden about 5 yards away from the back door. Didn't have any trouble either time though we were careful not to go thrashing about in those areas.

Also had a hornets nest built into the roof. We had this one dealt with because they were always flying in through the windows (hornets are like wasps but three times the size, with 1/10th of the brain cells).

As Baz says, if you can live without bothering them I'd just leave them be(e)...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Wasps are pure evil and spawned by Satan himself to wreak havoc on Earth
Slam the front door or disturb/upset them in any way, shape or form and they will bide their time and take revenge at some point. Maybe on a hot summers night and you decide to sleep with the window open. Then they will come.

Take no risks.
Get rid of them

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

a bit surprised by this thread!

thought it was a no brainer, when i had one just got a pest control guy in for about £40 as a previous landlord had many years ago.

your problem if you do nothing isnt really now but later on when they start getting drowsy and appearing all over your house including the floors.

really quite amazed there are less votes for a nice easy simple solution :shock:

andy

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

If they are near your front door you might find that if you have your back windows open they will fly in as they are taking the shortest route back to the nest. We had similar problem a few years back, every time we opened the window a wasp would fly in, then another etc, was getting worse all the time. The we discovered there was a nest in the ground in the front garden. Any open window in the back became part of their flight path. We got rid of it straight away, as wasps in the house were becoming a real problem.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

Remember, a swarm of these beasts CAN KILL if they get angry...... EXTERMINATE.

Call your Local Authority and they will send someone out.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Thanks for the replies - some difference in opinion it's fair to say!

I'm going to leave well alone for now. It concerns me how big the nest could get though, as I read they have been found upto five feet square and with 25,000 inhabitants! :shock: 3-5000 is more usual though....

I also read that if left alone they won't bother us (despite what a couple of you have said! :? ), but that if you swat one it gives off a pheromone that tells all it's friends and relations that it's under attack and needs help. I won't be doing that then! :shock:

As for the flight path, I guess it could change, but at the moment it appears to be away from the house. Hope it stays that way!

Anyway, here is a pic. (yes, those are Christmas lights, but it is a holly tree and I just haven't got round to taking them down (for the last two years! - MrsJ), yet. Won't be doing so in the near future either!!):

You can see they're still adding extensions... :?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

That's just scary! :shock:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Wire the lights up to the nest, turn lights on and electrocute them. You might get a few stings as you wire the nest but don't worry abut that but make sure MrsJ and any other Jesters are safely out of the way and leave a path free for you to run if it goes wrong.( There is a big chance it will)
You are allowed to scream

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Spinynorman wrote:That's just scary! :shock:
I'll say, he still has his Christmas lights up, doesn't he realise how much bad luck that is.

http://www.globalpsychics.com/amusing-y ... tmas.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

radfordred
FISOhead

Post by radfordred »

This year i have found the old wasp in the bathroom , but last night a great big one was buzzing around the bedroom , which i eventually squatted , this morning decided to take a torch to the loft , this looks about 2 foot wide !!!

Any tips ?

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Yes throw out those Y-fronts.

They have seen better days.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Yes - leave it well alone. :D

Apparantly they never come back to nest in the same place twice. This time of year they should be gone or about to go. Not sure where they go... The queens will hibernate but the rest die I think? But go they will - the empty nest will add to your, already ample loft insulation!! :wink:

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

In South America on Saturday, i think it was the Mexico game not sure anyway, one of the world cup games was held up due to the fact a swarm of Bees had decided to land and take up residence inside one of the goals by the crossbar.

it came up on text match commentary. :lol: :lol:

its true.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 301442.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fire extinguishers would not be my recommendation but.....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”